Riley Bowman: And welcome to the Concealed Carry Podcast, part of the ConcealedCarry.com network, brought to you by HK. Today is Thursday, June 25th, 2026, as of this live recording. I am your host, Riley Bowman, joined by co-host Jacob Paulson.
Jacob Paulsen: Howdy, howdy, howdy.
Riley Bowman: Howdy, howdy. We are glad to be with you. Kind of missed you last week. A bunch of things going on and travel and, yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: It was a busy week.
Riley Bowman: It was a busy week. Uh, but, uh, uh, if you missed it, there's a episode that is, should be published today or tomorrow, uh, to make up for our missing of last week's episode. Uh, so look, look to catch that one. That'll be a good one. It's actually a replay of a past, uh, 10, 10 years ago, actually episode 10 years ago, probably this week, actually, or close to it. Wowzers. Isn't that weird? Yeah, 10 years ago we did a special episode where we talked about the history leading up to the war for independence, particularly the gun control that was one of the, you know, wasn't the only thing that kicked off the war. It was a major spark. Yeah, definitely a spark. That's a good word for it, actually.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, certainly it's what caused the initial shots to be fired.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, Lexington and Concord, of course, what we're referring to. Things going on around Boston area. Yeah, kind of a big deal in our nation's history. And we kind of did a whole deep dive into the history surrounding that, particularly from a gun control perspective. And I thought, you know, I thought that was a pretty good episode. And with now being kind of the 10-year anniversary of that episode and it not being available in the podcast feed anymore. And being that this is the 250th birthday of our nation, it's time to maybe bring that back.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, I have identified five books that I am rereading between now and the end of July of this year in celebration of the 250th anniversary. I've finished one of them already. I started this about a week ago.
Riley Bowman: Wow. Good for you.
Jacob Paulsen: And I'm in the second one now. So I just finished 1776 by David McCullough.
Riley Bowman: Dude, that takes a while to get through.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah. I've read that book like three or four times. I used to read it every July 4th. Well, I shouldn't say used to. I did that for like three or four years in a row. Yeah. And now it's been many years since I read it. So I just finished that book maybe two days ago. So now I'm now I'm in the middle of Washington secret six, which is a really fun read, though It's the least like The authors are just, they're terrible at writing history. Like it's, there's too much creative license. But that said, the facts are all true. It's just, they put in some narratives and things that are fictional to add some drama to it. But anyway, fantastic read. I'm probably getting close. Yeah, I'm probably two thirds through that book. I started like three days ago. So anyway, I'm also going to read American Creation, Revolutionary Summer, and Washington's Crossing. So I'm getting through all those.
Riley Bowman: I may need to take a peek at some of those myself. Yeah. Although, boy, you telling me that you re-listened to 1776, I really enjoyed that book immensely when I did the audiobook thing. Of course, that's pretty much how.
Jacob Paulsen: Me too. I'm listening to all this.
Riley Bowman: And I still think, I still call that reading books.
Jacob Paulsen: Me too. I don't distinguish.
Riley Bowman: But I did that a year or two ago and really enjoyed 1776. I'm currently trying to finish the David McCullough biography on John Adams.
Jacob Paulsen: That's a thick book.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, it is.
Jacob Paulsen: I mean, 1776 is a small read in comparison.
Riley Bowman: I've been working on this one for a while, and I kind of fell by the wayside for a bit.
Jacob Paulsen: I've only read that once. That's been many years ago now. But I really enjoyed the HBO series based on that book, which is weird to say that a series is based on a book that is, in fact, a biography. The series is just based on John Adams' life but I have that on DVD as well and I've watched that more recently but it's fabulous I mean it's really good big fan and a book that's similar that I really like in fact I prefer it for people who want a shorter book is a book called First Family and it's about John and Abigail and their family and so you get a little bit more a little bit more dynamic beyond John himself but it's a shorter read it's not nearly as detailed as John Adams by David McCaw.
Riley Bowman: I've really enjoyed learning more about him. And I know this would probably upset him a little bit, kind of the person he was and his aspirations. But he kind of seemed like he probably felt like, even if it was true or not true, it was true at times and probably not as true at other times. It felt like he was playing second fiddle a lot of times to other people, including George Washington himself.
Jacob Paulsen: It's his own personal baggage. Yeah.
Riley Bowman: And so that is true, though. That's kind of, you know, we think about George Washington. and we're like yeah and then there's that John Adams guy and yes he was the first vice president and like, You know, and the second president, and he's just sort of...
Jacob Paulsen: No, but he had a complex about this, right? Like, his dying words were exclaiming that Jefferson still lives.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, right.
Jacob Paulsen: Like, he was upset that he didn't outlive Thomas Jefferson. Yeah. You know, they were the last two signers of the Declaration alive when they passed. And they passed on the same day within hours of each other. Right. But that's, yeah, that's how heavy that baggage, that personal complex was. Like, I'm dying and that guy is still alive.
Riley Bowman: Yeah exactly you know so that's what i mean is like we tend to not know as much about him as we probably should and so i have enjoyed getting to know him a bit better very principled fellow he is very principled i agree he may not have been the most likable fellow uh for a lot of people but uh he was there's definitely one thing you could say about him and is he he knew his principles and he stood by them absolutely very.
Jacob Paulsen: Weird father too as far as like parenting goes It was like he turned out one incredible human.
Riley Bowman: Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: And the rest of it's a bit of a domestic disaster.
Riley Bowman: Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: But John Quincy Adams was arguably one of the best presidents we've ever had. I mean, just an amazing human.
Riley Bowman: I mean, you're right about that as far as – I mean, it's fascinating to get to know him as well too through this as a youngster and being – accompanying his dad overseas to France, to the Netherlands, to England, all over the place.
Jacob Paulsen: I read a biography about him specifically. I'm going to look it up while you're talking.
Riley Bowman: He got a heck of an education for a young man at an early age. And we should probably move on from this, get on to the episode. But it's been fun to kind of just talk about it for a minute. And, of course, you know, in light of our approaching 250th nation's birthday, I think this is all appropriate.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, here it is. It was just called John Quincy Adams by Harlow Giles Unger. Junger? I don't know. Fantastic. Fantastic. Yeah. I mean, this is a guy who... Watched The the the cannon go up on Dorchester Heights. Yeah from his from his hometown. Yeah, so yeah, like he
Riley Bowman: Was there what he watched He really watched the creation of this nation. Yes through the eyes of a youngster up through a team Yeah, he was a goal to ultimately being the president right yeah being involved in Diplo diplomacy with the French and overseas.
Jacob Paulsen: And he like his political failings were tied to the fact that he just wanted to do what was right and not align with the political party. He was really our last president who didn't just say, screw it. Just tell me what the party line is. Right.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. Yeah. Well, it's been... Anyway, thanks for bringing up some of the books you read and that's what I'm up to. I hope to finish that maybe in the next week or so which would be just in time for Independence Day. And yeah, it's been good. Well, we got a little off track there, but hopefully through that, some of you can kind of see where our mind is at. And maybe there's some recommendations that you can take from that as well to, hey, go check out some of those books. They're great books.
Jacob Paulsen: I think my message would be, what are you doing this year to up your Independence Day game? Yeah like whatever your normal July 4th like you know plan is for your family take it up a notch yeah that's what's going on in the Paulson households right now is like how do we take this up a level yeah
Riley Bowman: And not just in terms of the amount of money we spend on fireworks.
Jacob Paulsen: Oh, I don't spend any money on fireworks. Yeah, I know.
Riley Bowman: I'm talking about some families.
Jacob Paulsen: Sure, sure, sure. I mean, if that's what you got to do, if that's how you do it, that's fine. Yeah, no, true. But that's the point. Like, don't make it another July 4th. Yeah. I was not yet born on the 200th anniversary, and I will probably be dead on the 300th.
Riley Bowman: Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: So this is the big one in my lifetime.
Riley Bowman: I hope to live to make that one, but we'll see. It's true. We probably will be dead.
Jacob Paulsen: This is the big one.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. Speaking of America, the World Cup, have you seen some of the news and stuff about foreigners coming here for World Cup games?
Jacob Paulsen: Oh, all sorts of craziness.
Riley Bowman: And how they're just like, wow, America's awesome.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, there's been several. So there's the whole ranch dressing drama. Oh, yeah, yeah. Some people lose their minds about ranch dressing. And then there's this tweet that's gone viral, like crazy viral. It's something like the most looked at tweet in like three years or something. It's basically a guy exclaiming how the local Chili's restaurant gave him free chips and salsa. Without any evidence he could pay the bill yet. Yep. Like the honor. Free chips and salsa. The honor. I think he was from Japan, so you would relate to this. but you know like that the america would just assume such the such honor people yeah
Riley Bowman: You know yeah yeah free free drink refills i mean people have been you know of course people have been discovering bucky's and walmart and i mean yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: So welcome welcome it's
Riley Bowman: Been fun to see, Anyway, let's get into the episode, but we do have a quick little sponsorship message. We have upcoming our big annual Independence Day sale. Happy Birthday America sale. This will be our happy 250th birthday sale. It'll be a big one. We've done this annual sale for quite a few years now. And looking forward to kicking this off. Well, it'll be next week at some point. Do you know what day we're kicking that off on?
Jacob Paulsen: July 4th. It's a Saturday. I think the sale will start on Thursday for Guardian Nation members, Friday for everyone else.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, so July 2nd for Guardian Nation members, July 3rd for everybody else. And there's another distinction there too is that Guardian Nation members are always going to save more than anybody else. At the very least, you always get 10% off of everything we sell, right?
Jacob Paulsen: Right.
Riley Bowman: And so that's true all the time. That's true during the sale. So next week, July 2nd, actually, when this episode gets published, it'll be a day or two after that maybe. But watch for details on concealedcarry.com with regards to our Happy Birthday America sale. They'll be taking place starting Thursday, Friday, running through the weekend of July 4th for celebration of our nation's 250th birthday. More details to come. You'll see it on the site or if you're on our email list, you'll get emailed certainly about it as well. Make sure you're a Guardian Nation member, too. If you want to save the most, you can join easily by going to GuardianNation.com and then get set up. And then you can take full advantage of the biggest sale of the year that we do.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, there's going to be a special bonus thing that you're not going to want to miss out on, as well as other incentives to be a member of Guardian Nation. So get on it. Yeah, yeah.
Riley Bowman: The incentive is really, really cool. So you guys will want to check that out. There you go. Let's get into today's episode. It's a legislative updates episode this time, Jacob. And we've got a number of pretty interesting stories, including some breaking news, which I'm not going to spill all the beans just yet on that. But stay tuned. As of when I was doing preparation for this episode, some news has changed, meaning that the Supreme Court has just announced as of a couple of hours ago, another major ruling. So we'll cover that as well today. So stay tuned for that. But first, we're going to lead off with a story about how the Supreme Court ruled on the U.S. Versus Himani case, which is a very interesting case. And I'll tell you, there were some people who were like, why this case? Because it's a case littered with all kinds of, dirt. It's a dirty case. It's not the ideal. It's not a Bruin, for instance.
Jacob Paulsen: No, it's not setting some big precedent.
Riley Bowman: It's not McDonald's. It's not Heller.
Jacob Paulsen: I mean, it sort of stirs the drink a little bit, but it doesn't clear up a lot.
Riley Bowman: And that's really what I want to talk about today is what the Himani case really, what this ruling really is about. It's kind of a big deal, but also kind of not a big deal. So Jacob, I mean, you wrote an article on the site about this. You guys can see it on concealedcarry.com about marijuana and gun rights so what's the deal with him on a case.
Jacob Paulsen: So the background is this guy basically um is under suspicion of stuff and he submits to a search so he you know allows for a search to take place at his residence and that search turns up some marijuana as well as a gun among other things and so you know charges are filed because hey you can't be in possession of this drug uh you know that's at a federal level you know a drug this the fbi conducting right the search right as well as a gun like that's though you know that's a no go so we're going to charge you with possession you know blah blah blah
Riley Bowman: I think he even specifically like told agents when asked that he used marijuana every other day.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah yeah
Riley Bowman: I mean there's there's a lesson right there and far as you know like.
Jacob Paulsen: Don't submit to searches don't admit anything kind of thing talk
Riley Bowman: To an attorney.
Jacob Paulsen: Kind of thing he's got an attorney now i can tell you that Yeah, yeah, yeah, his attorneys are all over this. So I always find it, okay, sorry, that's, that's a side note. So, so anyway, long story short, you know, he appeals this, this, this, these charges, this conviction, it goes up through a number of courts to basically all uphold it until it gets the Supreme Court, the Supreme Court says, no. And their ruling is relatively narrow. Their ruling is not, you can smoke weed, it's fine. And the ruling is not, you can have marijuana and a gun, that's fine. That's not the ruling. The decision, as it's written, is basically that the state, the prosecutor, whatever you want to call it, they failed to demonstrably show that the use of marijuana made this man a danger. And therefore that stands up to the Bruin standard to take away his rights. Let me word this in a different way. And it's funny because sometimes I think the Supreme Court, they only care about the Bruin decision when it's convenient, and other times they seem to ignore it. But in short, basically what the decision says is the standard that allows you to take away someone's Second Amendment rights is pretty high. There's a couple of ways to take away someone's rights. None of them are easy, and that's the point of Bruin. One of them is sort of this historical thing like, hey, you have to show that there's some historical analog for this. But another way you can have your rights taken away, your Second Amendment rights, is if you're demonstrably dangerous. You having a gun is a dangerous thing. And the courts in this case, the prosecutors, for lack of a better word, they were going with both of those. They were saying, well, historically, drunkards were a problem. There's some historical tradition of not allowing drunkards to have a gun. How is that different? And they were also taking the angle of possession of a class whatever drug is inherently makes you a danger to yourself or others. And so the Supreme Court basically looked at both of those and said, first off, this historical analogy about drunkards is silly on its surface. Don't waste our time. And then secondly, the occasional or regular use of marijuana does not demonstrably show that someone is a danger to themselves or others, and therefore that is insufficient to take away their second member rights. So this does not remove the drug or marijuana question from the 4473. This does not change federal law. This simply says that in this case, this dude's use of marijuana did not in any way demonstrably show he was dangerous to himself or others. And therefore, that doesn't meet the standard to remove his Second Amendment rights.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. Right. And so it is important to understand that, you know, that distinction there of, you, the laws still stand you know 18 us code 922 g3 which is what the statute that this falls under is that still it like that has been unaffected, um the form 4473 is still a thing the question will likely still remain although i mean the atf at any time the trump administration could change that um but the the question as, as right now still remains and the question is basically you know Are you an unlawful user, of marijuana or other illicit drugs? And so you still need to, when filling out that form, fill it out truthfully if you're not going.
Jacob Paulsen: To lie on the form as a
Riley Bowman: Felony. Right, right. Which, by the way, is one of the charges that Hunter Biden was convicted under was lying on the 4473 when he purchased his gun back in 2018. He was also convicted of being a habitual, or I can't remember the exact word that was used, but he was also convicted for the use of drugs and having a drug problem while also owning and possessing a gun. But he was, I think the bigger thing was that he lied specifically on that form. So that's still a thing is my point. And so you're going to want to, as far as how this affects you or any of us, is probably talk to an attorney that understands the laws for your particular jurisdiction, the state or whatever that you live in, as far as how it is appropriate to answer questions like what's found on the 4473.
Jacob Paulsen: If you live in a state where you can buy guns privately without a 4473, that's probably a better plan. Assuming you're, I mean, for all of us, let alone someone who's medicinally or recreationally using marijuana.
Riley Bowman: But it would seem to also suggest, though, that, and nothing's a for sure thing here is kind of a point, but that if you are an occasional user of things like marijuana and also a gun owner, I think this makes it a lot more difficult for you to get charged. Yes.
Jacob Paulsen: Well, and one of the things that came up in the decision as it was written, and this is an anonymous ruling by the Supreme Court, though not all of them agreed for the same reasons.
Riley Bowman: Unanimous. I think you said anonymous.
Jacob Paulsen: Oh, I said anonymous? Unanimous.
Riley Bowman: Which was pretty notable.
Jacob Paulsen: Unfortunately, not anonymous. We know who they are.
Riley Bowman: Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: But it was unanimous. Thank you. But not for the same reasons. Is X number of judges agreed with this decision, and then the other three still agreed with the decision, but for these other reasons. So if you read the majority decision as it's written, the other thing that they mention is that if this drug, if marijuana is the kind of thing that makes people so dangerous, then why did the federal government recently change its classification from whatever type? Schedule 1 to Schedule 3. So that also came up in the decision, and I think that's relevant.
Riley Bowman: Very much so. Yeah, we have a comment there from somebody asking something about Biden. I think you're trying to say was acquitted of these charges, but I think what you may mean is he was convicted of those charges, but then later pardoned by conveniently his father. But anyway.
Jacob Paulsen: Works out really well when your dad can pardon you. Yeah.
Riley Bowman: So anyway, there you go. That's the Himani ruling. So if you have questions about that, talk to our attorney because we can't be your attorneys for you. So let's go now to the next one here, Jacob. This was actually a story from The Reload, which is a great blog. I've referenced that. We've referenced it on the podcast a few times over the years as well. Basically kind of a summary over a number of cases that are going before the Supreme Court and being denied or whatever. Because what recently happened was the Supreme Court declined to take on two New York cases. Now, to be clear, both of these cases were in the preliminary injunction phase. So it was one of those things where, like one of them, by the way, is dealing with the New York gun carry training requirements. The other one had to do with gun industry liability, which are both things that New York has tried to make stricter. Or in the case of gun industry liability, they've tried to make it, they passed a law, basically provides a route for people to sue gun makers for, And, of course, that shouldn't be the case under federal law. Right.
Jacob Paulsen: Well, just like marijuana shouldn't be legal under federal law. Right.
Riley Bowman: And so both of those cases is the sort of thing where, the folks arguing those cases, the plaintiffs were trying to get preliminary injunctions and trying to get the Supreme Court to, put a stop on the enforcement or implementation of those laws before, you know, so that while they work their way through the court. Through the court system. And instead, the Supreme Court, which by the way, this is nothing particularly surprising for the Supreme Court. They're usually pretty careful about enforcing or putting in place preliminary injunctions or allowing them to stand, and getting themselves inserted into cases before they actually make their way through the system through all the different procedures, if you will. And so in this case, neither of those cases were accepted by the Supreme Court to hear them on the merits of those preliminary injunctions. They just send them back down to those lower courts to do their thing. But then it also in this article talks about how there's a number of other cases that are basically sitting on the docket, so to speak. There's 25 other, well, let's see. Simultaneously, it says the Supreme Court accepted four new Second Amendment challenges and relisted 25 others. In other words, there's 29 Second Amendment cases now pending in the Supreme Court in their books. That's pretty interesting. It's a pretty big deal. We know that, go ahead.
Jacob Paulsen: In context, I don't know how many cases total are pending with the Supreme Court, but the Supreme Court has got a massive docket. Yeah. And I think that's part of the context that you have to take, and that's exactly kind of what you're building up to, is this idea that, yeah, they can't take them all.
Riley Bowman: Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: So for them to deny this or deny that one is not the end of the world. I also think that there's a hierarchy here in the pro-gun world. Rights battle versus the anti-gun rights battle. And what I mean by a hierarchy is like we generally want to focus on the biggest fish to fry. So I'm less concerned, and I think that the gun rights community generally is less concerned that some states require some amount of training in order to obtain a concealed carry permit or potentially a gun permit. We can come back to that one in a minute. Than I am that states are making my AR-15 outright illegal. So it's sort of like, okay, where are we going to focus our time? I'm more concerned that 18-, 19-, and 20-year-olds don't have full Second Amendment rights in some states. So I think that you see that too from the Supreme Court side is they have to look at all the things coming before them and sort of say, what are the battles that we're – what are the most important things for us to settle, to sort through, to deal with, And one of the things that are sort of like, eh, maybe down the road we can come back to that, but right now it just is not, like that's a small fish.
Riley Bowman: Yep. Yeah, and to give, you know, to kind of build off further what you were just explaining, some of the bigger fish that we're talking about here. You know, included in these 29 cases that are currently sitting within the Supreme Court's docket, so to speak, is our cases that are dealing with semi-automatic firearms and rifles, particularly like AR-15 style rifles, magazine capacity limitations. Those are probably the two really big ones.
Jacob Paulsen: Several of both of those.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, several, several. And so, and those are, I would also say, bigger fish. These are really, really landmark type cases if they make their way through the full Supreme Court process, having a hearing, arguments, all of that, and eventually a ruling. I mean, Justice Kavanaugh, we know a year or so ago, indicated, that, hey, we anticipate, or he anticipates at least, that the Supreme Court would be addressing the AR-15 matter soon, like in the next term or two, which is a big deal. So I think that's what we're talking about here is the Supreme Court has to be a little picky and choosy about what they go after, what they accept, what they're going to actually take on. And there's some really big things that they have already agreed to hear.
Jacob Paulsen: And them saying no to take on a case does not in any way mean that another case with similar fact pattern or question couldn't come later. Right.
Riley Bowman: Or is that these cases they denied to take a look at right now won't eventually end up there anyway. Because again these were just preliminary injunctions they were asked to review, right uh not not the actual you know not even hearing the the the whole case the merits of the case you know just like yeah so uh these cases very likely could still end up there, agreed so anyway there you go just a little bit of an update on kind of the supreme court watch if you want to call it that and uh they've got a lot going on there and hopefully you know we see some more things, Big news. We teased this a little bit ago. Also referenced in this article is the Wolford versus Lopez case. This is the one out of Hawaii that is sometimes referred to as the vampire rule, which for those that don't understand, essentially the vampire rule is it like reverses the default of what we think of as concealed carry. So for pretty much most of us, we think that, okay, I'm going to assume, you know, we don't want to be careful with assumptions, but I am going to assume I can carry my gun pretty much anywhere unless it's explicitly, you know, prohibited, okay? So by state to state to state or sometimes smaller jurisdictions than that, but government office buildings or this or that, whatever, right? So I'm going to assume I can carry it anywhere other than those prohibited places. And places like businesses, for instance, private businesses that post or say, hey, I don't want guns here kind of thing. Like, I will assume I can carry into a place of business unless they tell me otherwise, right? That's like the normal default. And in Hawaii, they flipped that completely around where the default became with their new law that, oh, you cannot carry, on any private property, in any business location, anything, unless they explicitly, give you the permission to do so.
Jacob Paulsen: Right.
Riley Bowman: Right.
Jacob Paulsen: Right and super awkward
Riley Bowman: It basically makes it impossible.
Jacob Paulsen: To carry it's it's terrible anywhere it's terrible i i it's terrible for us from our perspective right as gun owners and gun right people because um i i think of it true like in terms of like business and corporate decisions like if you're walmart yep you know you're kroger foods you're i don't care it's sunglasses hut and you have retail locations all over the place excluding this hawaii drama then you basically had the choice to just be neutral right like we're just going to be neutral yep like we're not like just leave us out of this like and that was good business sense for me like to me my perspective is like that's the right move like you have you have nothing to do with this gun debate you're a company that sells a product so stay out of it yep but hawaii is now going is basically flipped us around but the burden like you can't be neutral We've removed your neutrality. We've made you anti. If you want to be pro-gun, come out and say it.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, you have to take a stance. Yeah. You've got to post it or whatever, right? Yeah. Yeah, that's what Hawaii did. Okay, so as of the preparation that we did earlier for the podcast today, we knew that that Olford versus Lopez case was pending and was expecting to be ruled upon at any time. And that came through as of just a few hours ago.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah.
Riley Bowman: And in a 6-3 ruling, the Supreme Court has rejected that law.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, they said that's unconstitutional. I can't do that. Which makes absolute sense. That's the right call. I mean, the fact that there's three dissenters, I would love to see their dissenting opinion. It's like, how do you justify thinking that this could be constitutional? Like, what possible perspective could you think that someone's Second Amendment right, right, straight from the Bill of Rights, is default off unless somebody says you can have it? Like, that's crazy. So yeah this is this was i think this was one of those rulings that sort of felt like obvious like yeah like this one should go this way like i mean what the ar-15 thing i we all have some bias because of our level of knowledge or education and obviously our pro-gun leanings but this vampire rule is like crazy stuff it's like what how do you get away with this so they're not getting away with it anymore
Riley Bowman: It's done yep there you go there you have it so that's exciting breaking news as of just a couple hours ago so very very, cool to see that ruling from the supreme court because again that just effectively removes your ability to really carry anywhere except for like on a public an actual public.
Jacob Paulsen: Street sure sure yeah but otherwise forget it yep there's no world walmart's gonna go put up a bunch of guns welcome here yeah yeah exactly
Riley Bowman: Another interesting story, another interesting restriction out of California this time, Contra Costa County. Oh, geez. Jacob, give us a lowdown on this one. This was, again, another article that you published to the site recently. When I saw this, I'm like, what?
Jacob Paulsen: This is the epitome of ignorance. And this is one of those things that I didn't even know was going on. Sometimes I think of myself as being highly informed. I'm like, this is concealed carry stuff. Like this is my job. This is what I do for a living. I know what all the different states are doing. I know all the things, man. And then you see something like this and you're like, how long has this been going on? How did I not know about this? Like what the crap? So here's the deal. This one county in California, Contra Costa. I don't even know how to pronounce it. Contra Costa County. I don't even know where it is.
Riley Bowman: Contra Costa, Contra Costa.
Jacob Paulsen: Anyway, there's some county in California with this name.
Riley Bowman: I had never heard of it until this.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, I Googled it when I wrote this article. I'm like, where is this county? Anyway, in that county, they have imposed some rules regulating concealed carry permits that anyone listening to this podcast, this is going to blow your mind. They, one, do not allow pistol-mounted optics. I'm not kidding. like you you go to get a concealed carry permit in that county and they will tell you like piss no no carry optics yeah like not like if you if we you if we find out you put an optic on your pistol it invalidates your permit like crazy stuff like hardcore ignorance but i'm not done this is crazy um second weapon mounted lights or lasers Yeah, you can't put a, like, we don't want you to see what you're shooting at. Like, I don't know. How do you justify that? Like, I cannot wrap my mind around what even the most ignorant person would be thinking to say you can't put a light on your gun. I got nothing. And maybe they think that, like, I don't know. I can't even. Yeah, but that's not it. There's a third one. No single action only trigger guns yeah so that would make most of us just basically say no 1911s or 2011 uh type guns nothing nothing single action only so like that gun that you know conquered the world for like 50 years from you know put your hand on your heart and say john moses browning That would not be allowed to carry with your permit in that county. And here's the real irony. Remember that in California, like many states, including our state, the permits are issued at the county level, but they're statewide permits. So if you got your permit from Placer County, see how I did that? I just came up with a county in California.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, and it's one, I know.
Jacob Paulsen: From Yuma County. There's another one. If you got your permit from that county and you drove into Contra Costa County with your pistol-optic weapon-mounted light 1911, that'd be perfectly fine. They can't stop you. But if you live in this county, then you're not allowed to carry that gun or these accessories on your gun because that's the county's policy. So someone decided it's time to sue these boys over this one.
Riley Bowman: Contra Costa County, by the way, is basically the northeast suburbs of San Francisco.
Jacob Paulsen: Okay, this is a Bay Area county.
Riley Bowman: You're like, okay, it still doesn't make sense, but you're like, okay.
Jacob Paulsen: I cannot matter this. This is truly one of those things. There's some things, I'll give you an example. There's a state that basically prohibits body armor. And that's one of those things where it's like, clearly you're just ignorant. Not allowing suppressors. It's like, you're just ignorant. You clearly don't actually understand. You must think that someone can put on body armor and just run around and get shot and it won't even faze them. They'll just keep committing acts of violence. You know nothing. And same thing with the suppressor. You must think that bad guys are going to put suppressors on guns and run around and silently murder everybody. You're just ignorant. But how do you justify saying no pistol mounted optics or weapon mounted lights? I got nothing. I cannot even imagine what you're thinking.
Riley Bowman: I would like to hear more on that for sure. I mean, like you're talking about in the case of optics on a gun, Literally something that helps you aim better with true target focus, which means we're talking about fewer mistake-of-fact shootings. If you don't know what I mean, you're able to focus on your threat, see exactly who they are, what they're doing, what they have in their hands or in their pockets or whatever. Like a device that allows you to aim your gun where you can maintain that level of visual focus and acuity on your target is is an optic on a pistol okay the second thing the lights on a gun, i mean it could be debated how efficacious a weapon mounted light on a civilian pistol is like how because, you might be thinking okay well it allows me to identify my target well i probably should have I already identified before I pointed a gun at them. So I got a handheld light probably involved too. But regardless, it's still a viable tool that has a purpose and in no way makes the gun more dangerous.
Jacob Paulsen: It only makes it safer.
Riley Bowman: Right.
Jacob Paulsen: It's only conceivable application makes the gun safer.
Riley Bowman: Now the 1911 or single action, you know, trigger thing, this one, I think it actually, here's what i want and i don't know this for a fact but i can see this a little bit where this sheriff for whatever reason because this is coming from the sheriff or the sheriff's office and so most likely has the sheriff's support and it's probably his idea in the first place, I could see a person making the argument that, well, these are single action triggers that are real short, real light, and I'm just concerned that people are going to accidentally pull a trigger where they don't mean to.
Jacob Paulsen: Yes, I agree. This is one where it's like, okay, I can get behind your – I can understand your ignorance. I can't get behind the decision, but I can understand your ignorance. I can't get there with the optics of the lights. I don't understand what ignorance leads you to believe this makes sense. But yes, the single action triggers, I can understand your ignorance.
Riley Bowman: It's still dumb, but... Anyway, so the news story here, in case I don't know if we actually mentioned it specifically, the Second Amendment Foundation, along with a plaintiff, actually two plaintiffs that they're representing, two Contra Costa County residents with permits, they have filed a lawsuit in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, suing the county for, these terrible policies. That's probably not going to be a very friendly court. them. But that's the way these things start. We've got to file a lawsuit. If that comes back and is not overturned, then they'll take it to the next level, I presume. But that's essentially what's going on. The Second Amendment Foundation, thankfully, has gotten involved and has filed this lawsuit because these are really stupid laws or policies.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, I just can't. I'm at a loss.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, same. Like I said, when I first came across this, I was like, what? I never imagined I'd see that. You know, so wild, wild sauce, man. Let's go to Michigan now.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, yeah, Michigan.
Riley Bowman: Another lawsuit being filed. This time, actually, the primary plaintiff is, there are several organizations involved. The NRA is leading the charge here.
Jacob Paulsen: They're the national player.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, yeah. You got several Michigan state-level gun rights organizations that are also involved. This is going after Michigan's license to purchase program, if you will. So, this requires anybody without a Michigan concealed permit license to obtain, a permit before buying, possessing, carrying, or transporting any pistol. Now, apparently, this was a law put in place in 1927.
Jacob Paulsen: Another one. This is another one I honestly had no idea about. I was like, what? Michigan? Like, you know, I think there's something we're really familiar with. We're really familiar with, like, Illinois' FOID card. That's just, I don't know, for whatever reason, just seems to come up often enough that I have great familiarity. And there's some other states that have some permits to purchase things. And we've seen new ones come on board recently. And even our own state on August 1st is imposing a permit to purchase thing for certain firearms, not all guns, but some guns. So, yes, I was unfamiliar with this 1927-era Michigan thing, but it is what it sounds like. If want by gun, must first get this permit that allows you to be able to go buy the gun. The lawsuit basically just says this is – I guess it's challenging two things. The first thing is that it's sort of like it's just redundant. When I buy a gun, they run a background check anyway. So why do I need to have a background check in order to go get a background check? It's just redundant. But more relevant, I think, and if you read into kind of what's happened to the – I think there's three or four plaintiffs, humans, not organizations, but humans that are on this lawsuit, is what I'll call county-level discretion problems. So these are the examples I read from these plaintiffs are situations where they went in to get the permit to be able to then go and shop and buy a gun, and they were denied the permit for various, I would call them discretionary reasons. One where it's sort of like they didn't tell me why, they just said no. Another one where it's like they think that I'm somebody who's been denied it in other counties. They don't have any reason for themselves why I shouldn't get this permit, but they are under the impression that other counties have denied me the permit. Therefore, they won't give me one. Things like that were just like, what's going on here? So seemingly ridiculous reasons people are being denied their Second Amendment rights.
Riley Bowman: A couple of the specific examples, some of the plaintiffs named in this lawsuit. One was denied by his county despite passing an FBI Knicks background check. One was turned away before he, apparently he could even apply. That's ridiculous. And another, a third person was denied on, it's just as probable cause. So for whatever reason, the county just decided, you know, they don't, they don't like him. This is how I read that. And so, yeah, the, the, the, the, the challenge here is that this, and really, and it also talks about how there's no real problem. Means of, you know, pursuing a recourse.
Jacob Paulsen: And there's no way to appeal.
Riley Bowman: Of having an appeal, right? So the county's just like, nope, sorry, we're not going to give you that permit so you can go buy a gun. And you're like, well.
Jacob Paulsen: Now what?
Riley Bowman: Yeah. Right? Yep.
Jacob Paulsen: And so. Yeah, well, there was one that he'd applied in his county and he was told no. So then he went to apply in a different county and was rejected because that's not the county he lives in. Like, it's sort of like, what are my options here? Like, how do I get a gun? Like, this is my constitutional right and there's no legal pathway for me to exercise it.
Riley Bowman: The FBI says I can have one.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah. What's the issue there?
Riley Bowman: Right? Yeah, it's pretty wild stuff. And like we both said, this was news to both of us that this kind of thing even existed in Michigan. Apparently, if you have a concealed pistol license in Michigan, that means the requirement, that's automatically your permit.
Jacob Paulsen: If you will. You can now buy a gun.
Riley Bowman: Right? And that probably includes a lot of people, people we would know, for instance. And it's like, I know, in fact, I taught a class in Michigan a few years back. And I would imagine every person in that class had a permit. And so in their world, this probably is something that doesn't really come up.
Jacob Paulsen: Becomes a non-issue once you have a permit.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. But for those that don't, if your county just, for whatever reason, just tells you, sorry, tough beans.
Jacob Paulsen: Michigan is going to lose this one.
Riley Bowman: Oh, for sure.
Jacob Paulsen: Like, I will eat my shirt. There's no way this stands up to constitutional scrutiny. This is insane.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. Yeah. So we'll have to keep an eye on that one. This one's obviously going to have to go through the court system.
Jacob Paulsen: Hopefully it sets a nice big precedent for other states that are dealing with permit to purchase kind of systems. Yeah. And very selfishly, here in Colorado, we're about to have a law go into effect to create a permit to purchase an AR-15. And it'd be really nice if we get some court cases that say AR-15s can't be banned and permit to purchase schemes are unconstitutional. So that would be great for me.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. Final story comes out of Virginia. This is a big deal, of course. Virginians, I know, are well acquainted with what's going on there. And probably many of you as well, even if you don't live in Virginia, because it's gotten a lot of news. But just so you know, guys, that the law there that bans the sale, manufacture, import, purchase, and transfer of, quote-unquote, assault firearms in magazines over 15-round capacity goes into effect in just a few days. Perhaps right around the time that this actually publishes to the podcast feed, this episode. But, you know, we're recording this on June 25th, so you got less than a week. Like six days from today, as of recording of this, this law goes into effect. And so a lot of challenges are going forward on this already. In fact, a friend of ours, John Crump, is involved in one of those out of Lancaster County. Crump v. Katz. Another Katz is, I think, the Attorney General for Virginia. So all of these are plaintiff versus Katz, Santola versus Katz, Curtis v. Katz, McDonnell v. Katz, Black v. Hook. I'm not sure about that one, but all challenging this on various grounds in a lot of different ways now. And there's apparently a three-judge panel at the Supreme Court, the Virginia Supreme Court, that is weighing consolidation. Because there's so many of these cases hitting all at once. And so what the court's like, well, hey, let's consolidate these if we can, because that is just a better and more efficient way of moving forward. But that is still apparently being, you know, that's in the works.
Jacob Paulsen: I think, yeah, what I take from this is there's sort of like a procedural problem that's preventing an injunction from being a possibility before the law goes into effect. Is that how I read it?
Riley Bowman: That's essentially what I read as well. It's probably one of those things where it's like everybody and their dog got involved in wanting to challenge the law. And so all these cases hit the courts like that. And like great kudos to you guys that are you know that are fighting this fight, but there's so many cases that the courts are like this is too much we need to look at consolidation and so this three judge panel the supreme court it's like we're going to try to consolidate these but that takes time and so unfortunately now we're out of time to try to get an injunction in place before this goes into effect in less than a week yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: There is some good news the silver lining is that this law even in its full grand terribleness, does have a grandfather clause. So it's not like on July 1st your existing rifles and magazines are criminal to possess. It's only about new acquisitions. So while it's looking like there's not going to be an injunction before this law can go into effect, hopefully an injunction comes soon. And in the meantime, no one's being rendered an immediate criminal. It's just blocking new acquisition and hopefully that's short lived
Riley Bowman: Virginia, of course, is a part of the Fourth Circuit, the federal courts, which is not a particularly two-way friendly circuit. So, you know, chances are I see this potentially, you know, getting overturned or being a part of future efforts that the Supreme Court's already, you know, undertaking to potentially overturn laws like this one. But it's not going to happen in time for, I think, I mean, before this law goes into effect. And so I'm sorry, Virginians, you are in a tough spot there. We feel your pain. You know, we're dealing with some similar things. And we've had a 15-round magazine capacity limit in Colorado ourselves for over a decade now. And so, yeah, there you go. That's the latest update on what's going on out of Virginia. Yeah. So, lots of, basically, you know, I think the summary of everything we're basically talking about here today is just how important it is that we have the makeup of the Supreme Court that we currently do. It's probably the most favorable Supreme Court in the history of Supreme Courts that I can think of as far as the Second Amendment is concerned.
Jacob Paulsen: By far.
Riley Bowman: And, and they've got a lot, a lot of work to do and very important work and hopefully comes down on the side of the Second Amendment as we see it for the rights of everybody.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, the last decade has been really important to new Supreme Court justices. And the influence that they're having now in the last five or so years, starting with Bruin and now some of these other things happening, is critical as well. And it's not all sunshine and puppies and roses. There's been a couple of little setbacks from my perspective as a pro-gun rights person. But I think all around we're getting the big stuff right at the U.S. Supreme Court as it relates to guns and now it's just it's a waiting game and you've heard us say this over and over again on this podcast over and over again that the the game has moved like the battle is no longer being fought in the legislature like remember our legislative updates like you go back 10 years ago in our podcast our legislative updates were about all the laws that were being proposed and passed and going into effect. And now the majority of our legislative updates are about lawsuits that are being filed and decided in courts. That's where the battle game is now. And so stay tuned. And I think it's important to support these organizations who, you know, it takes money for these organizations to file these lawsuits and follow them through. So if you're looking to support, you know, the Second Amendment Foundation was mentioned today. The NRA was mentioned today. The Firearms Policy Coalition is doing really good things. Gun Owners of America is doing really good things. Those are four organizations that are filing lawsuits and following them through in the courts. And so anyway, a little endorsement for under your own conscience, you know, and your own money. Like if you wanted to support an organization, those four are good candidates. Yep.
Riley Bowman: I think that's well summarized and well said. So, those are kind of the big things we're keeping an eye on right now. And we'll, of course, continue to keep an eye on things moving forward and keep you updated. We'll try to do a legislative updates episode about once a month, as we have typically done in the past. And keep an eye on concealedcarry.com. I've been publishing regularly. Jacob's been doing a great job with this, publishing regularly some updates in this regard in the form of blog posts on concealedcarry.com. And so that's not a good place to keep an eye on things. Yeah. With that though, it's almost our nation's birthday and I'm super excited. I'm excited. This is a big deal. I'm actually kind of sad in a way, you know, my son's out of country right now on a church mission and he's missing it. He's missing this historical 250th, you know, birthday.
Jacob Paulsen: That is sad. That is sad.
Riley Bowman: But he's having a good time, by the way.
Jacob Paulsen: Though he is in Brazil during World Cup.
Riley Bowman: Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: So that's pretty epic too. That is pretty epic.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. Yeah. And he's, he's getting the full Brazilian, you know, world cup experience for sure. Too bad.
Jacob Paulsen: They're not doing better.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. I think he's already purchased, that i know of at least four different like jerseys yeah yeah tropically more.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah they're gonna they'll they'll paint the streets green i mean it's no joke that's that's that's more than religion
Riley Bowman: There when brazil assuming they yeah as you mentioned they're not probably doing as well as not their best years as they would like uh things may get a little crazy too down there.
Jacob Paulsen: Better for him to stay
Riley Bowman: Inside i'm actually thankful he's in a smaller uh town right now as opposed to like, you know one of the bigger cities he's definitely you know he's not he's not in rio de janeiro but he's not very far from rio but he won't be any you know he won't be in rio or anything when you know when things kick off yeah yeah i should say win or lose because if they win things go crazy if they lose things will be crazy right yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: It's uh serious yeah serious it's more than religion
Riley Bowman: Yeah but anyway happy birthday america we anticipate doing one more episode before the official birthday of our nation. And I actually hope to record that next week and publish next week on Friday, the 3rd of July. I think it would be good to drop that just in time for the 4th. But still, we'll wish you guys all well and wish America a happy birthday. We'll get another opportunity next week. And until next time, a reminder to train right, train often, and train safe.
Jacob Paulsen: So you can fight hard, fight fast, and fight true. Take care.
Riley Bowman: A reminder that laws vary from place to place, and we encourage listeners to seek local legal advice to understand applicable laws. Concealed Carry, Inc., its brands and properties, and the Concealed Carry podcast is not a legal service, nor are we attorneys at law. We make our best faith effort to share Concealed Carry-related insights and information about firearm-related incidents and the laws pertaining, based on our own understanding and experience. But things can be different where you live, or laws may have changed by the time you listen to this. We cannot be held liable for your actions based on the information shared in this podcast. Please exercise care with all things pertaining to firearm use, Concealed Carry, and always practice following basic firearm safety rules. More information about safety can be found at concealedcarry.com forward slash safety. Thank you.