Riley Bowman: Welcome to Concealed Carry Podcast, part of the ConcealedCarry.com network, brought to you by HK. Today is actually Thursday, June 25th, 2026, as of the recording of this episode, and I am your host, Riley Bowman. Today marks a special episode. We're actually going to do a replay of an episode that Jacob and I recorded 10 years ago this week. Yes, all the way back in the last week of June 2016, where Jacob and I actually shared with the listeners about the historical context around the beginning of the war for independence for the United States of America. The first shots fired, of course, at Lexington and Concord and kind of everything that led up to that, which a lot of it was surrounding gun control. As many of you know, the British were marching their way to Concord, where one of the largest supply stores of gunpowder was located for the Patriots. And, of course, on their way there in Lexington, met a band of 200 or so Rebels at that time, Patriots, of course, that decided to meet them right there and have a little bit of a skirmish. And that's kind of where it all began. And of course, there was gun control that was attempted to be implemented in the city of Boston. And anyway, so we're going to get into that in this episode today. There was really no reason to go and re-record something like this. I thought it was a good episode to replay for you because it's no longer available in the standard podcast feed. And so I hate to see it just get lost, you know, to the ether, so to speak. So. It's a perfect opportunity in the days leading up now to our 250th birthday of our nation to go ahead and bring this episode back for you. But first, I want to share with you a couple of episode sponsors. As you are hearing this, we are preparing to launch our annual Independence Day sale. We always call it Happy Birthday America Sale. And this one is special because this is the Happy 250th Birthday America Sale. We have a big sale planned. It's not starting yet, but as I mentioned, as I'm recording this, we are preparing for that sale right away. It will be going live next week, so just before 4th of July. I'll give you a little more details on that in just a second, but you're going to want to make sure that you're watching our website, concealedcarry.com, for details about that sale. You're going to want to make sure you're also on our email list. If you're not on our email list already, you can get added to it by going to concealedcarry.com. You'll find that there's a place you can do that there. Because we will be emailing you about this sale. You're going to want all the details about this. It's a huge sale with many opportunities to save big. You're going to also want to consider joining Guardian Nation. If you haven't already, if you're not already a member, the way you're going to save the most is by being a member of Guardian Nation. Because just by default, Guardian Nation members save 10% across the board all the time. So even when we have sales, Guardian Nation members get whatever the sale price is plus another 10% off. And that 10% off is available 24-7, 365, like all the time. 10% off always is available for Guardian Nation members and the biggest sales during the Happy Birthday America sale will be available to Guardian Nation members only. So you're going to want to look into that by going to guardiannation.com and signing up today so that you are a member and can save the biggest on our happy 250th birthday America sale. Starting next week. In fact, so here's when the sale will kick off. On July 3rd will be when the sale starts for everybody, no matter who you are, no matter if you're a Guardian Nation member or not. But on July 2nd, the sale will be starting for Guardian Nation members only. And that's so that Guardian Nation members have the opportunity to jump in on the sale early and also buy product that maybe might not be in stock come July 3rd. So that's another reason why you want to be a Guardian Nation member so that you get the earliest access to the sale and you get the biggest discounts on the sale as well. So there you go. July 2nd is when the sale kicks off for Guardian Nation members. July 3rd for everybody else. It'll be running through July 4th and throughout the weekend as well. So that's when the sale is kicking off. Happy birthday, America. We are so excited to celebrate with all of you. 250 years. It's a remarkable milestone and I'm proud to be an American, as I'm sure you are all as well. And so we look forward to celebrating it with you. Also, it should be noted that there will be a couple of special bonuses, including a special, let's just say if you buy during the sale, there's a special gift we will be sending you as well. Really excited about this, something we've worked quite extensively on. And I think you're going to be really excited when you see what that extra little bonus is just by participating in the sale during that uh happy birthday america sale so With that i'm going to go ahead and play back now this episode that jacob and i did 10 years ago covering the history surrounding the beginning of the revolutionary or war for independence and everything leading up to it so much of it was all about gun control and you guys know how we feel about that so i'll catch on the flip side after you have the chance to listen to this episode. Where do we start, Jacob?
Jacob Paulsen: Well, I think, you know, to give some fairness, you and I have done some research in preparation for this. I think it would be unfair to assume that we're just going to rattle this stuff off the top of our heads.
Riley Bowman: That's true. Yeah, so one thing, I'm going to use an article for much of the basis of this episode today. I want to give full credit to David Koppel. The article will be in the show notes. And this article is titled, The American Revolution Against British Gun Control. And it's just a fantastic article. And really, Jacob, you were the one that first put me onto it, and I thank you for that. I have become a fan of this article. And I've seen some other writings of Dave Koppel, but this was just fantastic. I bookmarked it, saved it, everything. And originally, this article appeared in the Administrative and Regulatory Law News. Boy, that sounds really exciting. Of the American Bar Association back in 2012.
Jacob Paulsen: Which obviously infers that our friend Dave is obviously an attorney. And here from Colorado, he's local to us.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, yeah. And I didn't know that until you'd mentioned it. So that's really cool. Maybe one day we'll cross paths.
Jacob Paulsen: Well, you know, I'd have to be careful. I don't know that he's actually an attorney. I know he teaches law at DU.
Riley Bowman: Would you not be an attorney if you taught law?
Jacob Paulsen: I assume you would. I don't know.
Riley Bowman: I think he is.
Jacob Paulsen: You don't have to own a business to teach a business course.
Riley Bowman: I'm pretty sure he's an attorney. In fact, I believe he was assistant attorney general or something like that here in Colorado, I want to say.
Jacob Paulsen: That's hardcore.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, so I'm pretty sure he's an attorney.
Jacob Paulsen: I'll take it.
Riley Bowman: So, in fact, according to Wikipedia, he is an American author, attorney, political science researcher, gun rights advocate, and contributing editor to several publications. And I thought there was something else interesting, too, as I was reading about him. Currently, he's the research director of the Independence Institute in Golden, Colorado. And also on Wikipedia, it says, politically, he's a lifelong registered Democrat.
Jacob Paulsen: There you have it. Not all Democrats are bad.
Riley Bowman: But he is all gun. I mean, he is very much pro-gun. So that's pretty cool. Very interesting. that's not commonplace but it does exist
Jacob Paulsen: That's right.
Riley Bowman: So let's jump right in. You know, the events leading up to the Revolutionary War, just, you know, it was a fascinating time. I mean, here we had colonies. Originally, of course, as often is talked about, the original 13 colonies of America. And these colonies were under British control. Of course, Britain at the time was the world power. And I mean, there was really no equal to Britain at this time of history. And it's interesting to me that Britain really created its own demise. It colonized the Americas. And the Americas grew and grew and grew and got more powerful, more powerful, and ultimately, you know, led to, you know, it just, it created a beast that it couldn't harness itself anymore. And probably would have been a quiet beast, but the Brits decided to get a little, let's say, I guess, aggressive with its policies regarding the Americas.
Jacob Paulsen: Well, Britain had just come out of a war, right? Is it the Seven Year War? Maybe I got my history right. And it was very expensive. So I think the short of, just to really simplify the story, is that they were broke and they needed money. And so they started passing a lot of taxes and things on the American colonies, which were very wealthy, to try and booster it. And that didn't go over so well, right?
Riley Bowman: Yeah, a popular phrase from the time was taxation without representation, right?
Jacob Paulsen: Right.
Riley Bowman: So they were not pleased that the British government would send representatives from England, from the British government, to set up the government and to rule and also was taxing and taking money and all that money was being – or at least most of that money was being funneled back to England. And yeah, that didn't go over well at all.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah. So in December, 1773, we have the famous Boston Tea Party. And this was, I think, the first, I'll call it tipping point, where the colonists are kind of saying, hey, we're not going to stand for this. And I've been there, by the way, Riley, right where the Boston Tea Party took place. I've stood on that shore. Pretty intense. And so December 1773, Boston Tea Party, and that led to the Coercive Acts.
Riley Bowman: Which were a series of laws or provisions that here's one thing. One of the big things that was a problem with this was that Great Britain said, hey, here's these laws, and if you guys don't abide by them, the British army is going to come and force you to do so. And that just was not cool at all. In fact, quoting from Dave Koppel's article, the Patriots of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania resolved, quote, that in the event of Great Britain attempting to force unjust laws upon us by the strength of arms, our cause we leave to heaven and our rifles, end quote. Wow, powerful.
Jacob Paulsen: That's hot. And then a South Carolina newspaper essay that was reprinted in Virginia urged that any law that had to be enforced by the military was not – was necessarily illegitimate or was not necessarily legitimate. So they weren't happy about the idea that the British government would send troops to enforce these – what they felt were unjust laws to begin with.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. I mean, of course, at this time, Great Britain or England was a very much – well, it was – crap, I lost the word.
Jacob Paulsen: Monarchy? A new monarchy? Yes, thank you. At a parliament? I was trying to say monarchy. It was a monarchy, but I mean, the parliament was also relatively new there and that created a really interesting situation, right? Because America really was kind of requesting all this help and asking all these questions and was upset with what parliament was doing. And then eventually really King George, you know, the monarch sided with parliament and said, you know what? America is like, I could go either way on this, but I'm going to side with my new government, with the parliament.
Riley Bowman: Right, right. And so my point was, you know, here we have this monarchy that, you know, has also a parliament, which today, you know, the parliament really is what, you know, rules the country or establishes law and order. The monarchy anymore is really, I mean, I guess it's there and I'm sure it has its influence, but it's not anything like it was back in the 1700s. And so – but my point was is here we had a monarchy and a parliament that instead of being a traditional – I mean they had turned into a dictatorship, right, where it is here's the laws and you are going to abide or else. And these freedom-loving people over in the Americas, that just did not work. In fact, there was a part in this article I thought was pretty interesting. Let me see if I can dig it out again. It referred to the people, the American people, giving up themselves to slavery. Oh, here it is. It's quite a bit deeper in the article, but it said, because every attempt by the Americans at peaceful reconciliation had been rebuffed, the only remaining alternatives for the Americans were to accept slavery or to take up arms. And by slavery, they're talking about the American people would be slaves to Britain.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, at the end of a gun.
Riley Bowman: Right, and that's exactly what it would have been. You know, and so that's, this is really, I mean, this is the core of what we're going to discuss for the next little while here in that laws are passed laws that they disagreed with, and they were going to be forced at the sword at the rifle at the gun to follow these laws. So, here's what happened next.
Jacob Paulsen: Can I talk about Thomas Gage now?
Riley Bowman: Well, that's where I was going. So, please do.
Jacob Paulsen: So, this is a name you need to remember. If you're listening right now, remember the name General Thomas Gage. What a wonderful man. Yeah, right. We love him. So, General Thomas Gage, he was the, what was his title? The Royal Governor of Massachusetts. So this guy was put in place to rule by Britain. He was the governor of Massachusetts. And he had, up to this point, forbidden that town meetings take place more than once a year. Right? Freaking fantastic idea. Like, what kind of a dictatorship is this, right?
Riley Bowman: That feels all warm and fuzzy.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, that sounds great. And so, he dispatches some redcoats, some British soldiers, right, under the rule of the king, to break up an illegal, as he defined it, town meeting in Salem, Massachusetts. And this is still in 1774, after the Quoist of Acts had been passed. So we're in 1774. And so he sends these troops to go right up to this town meeting in Salem, and 3,000 armed Americans appear in response. They're like, excuse us, what? Yeah. And so the British retreat. They're like, we can't do this. And Gage is, General Gage, his aide named John Anders, he comes back to Thomas Gage and says, hey, Governor, everyone in the area, age 16 years and older, owned a gun and plenty of gunpowder. Like that was his explanation back to General Gage as to why they had to retreat.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. So the people, I mean, they still had their arms. They still had their ability to defend themselves. Here was a policy they absolutely disagreed with. And, you know, they were being forced to not hold their meeting. And so they react. Well, okay. Here's quoting again, military rule would be difficult to impose on an armed populace. Gage had only 2,000 troops in Boston. Remember how many people showed up at that meeting to say, uh-uh, this isn't working? 3,000. So just in this one instance, there's 150% more people that show up with arms, with guns, than what Gage has in total of troops stationed in Boston. So, and then it says, there were thousands of armed men in Boston alone and more in the surrounding area. One response to the problem was to deprive the Americans of gunpowder.
Jacob Paulsen: So this is an interesting thing to understand about the time, right? So at this time, gunpowder is not what we're used to today. Like smokeless gunpowder that we're used to is very stable. Like it's not volatile, right? But in the 18th century, black powder was far more volatile. And so it generally was not the kind of thing you would store at your home. And so towns like Boston, for example, would have a powder house. And a powder house is generally a very reinforced brick building. And the powder house is where they would hold these reserves of the powder for use for anybody. I mean, certainly the government would keep it there. The soldiers would keep it there. But also, even individuals would store their own personal reserve of powder at the powder house. And that was just kind of the way it all worked. And it was just the nature of that beast. And so think about it. If you're Governor Gage and you're like, okay, well, I can't fight in quantity. They have more people than I do. It would seem like a relatively solution in his mind to, hey, let's just go seize all the black powder. That'll solve this problem.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. Typically, families or individuals at this time would keep probably only The amount that would be held in their powder horn at home. You know, which would hold enough for a number, you know, dozens and dozens of shots, you know, but it was a relatively small quantity, you know, maybe an eighth of a pound, maybe a quarter of the pound at the most. And so, like you said, you know, the larger quantities, you know, a pound, a keg, whatever would be kept usually at a local powder house. So General Gage had this incredibly bright idea, you know, which was rather than go directly to the citizens and take their guns, you know, let's go and seize their powder houses and take all their powder. And then they can't, you know, plus there would also be, you know, guns as well, public arms that were kept in these powder houses as well for the local townspeople, the local militia or whatever, although most individuals did have their own guns. So rather than take the guns directly, let's just go to the powder house and take all this powder. And that would limit their ability to, you know, they'd probably still have some smaller amounts that would continue to allow them to hunt and provide for their families, but they wouldn't have the ability to put on a huge uprising against the government. So on September 1st, 1774, 260 of Gage's redcoats sailed up the Mystic River and seized hundreds of barrels of powder from the Charleston Powder House. And so this is interesting. Quoting still from the article, the powder alarm, as it became known, was a serious provocation. By the end of the day, 20,000 militiamen had mobilized and started marching towards Boston. How many troops did he have there? A tenth of that.
Jacob Paulsen: In 2000.
Riley Bowman: In Connecticut and Western Massachusetts, rumors quickly spread that the powder alarm had actually involved fighting in the streets of Boston. Probably not entirely true, right? But more accurate reports reached the militia companies before that militia reached Boston, and so the war did not begin in September. I mean, we had this moment right there in history where a pretty significant war could have started. The message, though, was unmistakable. If the British used violence to seize arms or powder, the Americans would treat that violent seizure as an act of war and would fight. And that is exactly what happened several months later on April 19th, 1775. So that brings us to a very key moment in history.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, so I want to take a pause here and just point something out. You know, I was, we had a guy recently write a comment on, we have an article on our website about, you know, is there or is there not a national registry of firearms? And he wrote a comment, I can't remember his name, but it was a really thought out comment. And he said something to the effect of, you know, how do we call up a militia if we don't have a list of gun owners? And, you know, I remember I read the comment like in my email and I was like, oh, I'm going to have to think about this before I respond. But then, you know, I started thinking about these stories. Like you're talking about 1700s, you know, like there are no phones. There are newspapers, but they're, you know, I mean, think about how they're actually getting printed. You know, there's no texting. There's no nothing, right? No TV. And all of a sudden, I mean, early in the morning, you can have 200 and something redcoats go steal some gunpowder. And by the end of the same day, 20,000 citizens with guns are mobilized and are marching.
Riley Bowman: That's huge. That is incredible, is what it is.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, that's the point. A militia is not an organized, as the founding fathers saw it, a militia was not like a list of troops organized and ran by the government. Our founding fathers saw the word or the idea of a militia as just people, like just citizens, like you and me and our neighbors.
Riley Bowman: Well, and why would a militia exist? It would exist because at this time, I mean, the new world is still a very volatile place. I mean, at this time, at this point, it's relatively stable for the most part, but it would not be totally out of this world for some other rival nation of Great Britain to come and try to take control. And so people in the Americas were used to needing to be prepared and defend themselves if necessary. Also, I mean, there were issues from time to time with Indians as well. And so you could quickly assemble the townspeople to fight back and to defend themselves. And so this is not – you're right in that it's not an extremely well-organized entity that – Uh, but yet, you know, it could quickly become such because that was just the nature of the people. Uh, and so, yeah, there, there was no need for a list of, of people. There was no need for a list of arms or equipment. It simply was, you know, people banding together. And I kind of see this 20,000 people marching towards Boston as probably starting with a dozen, you know, and they start marching their way. And as they go, every little town and community they come upon is like, you know, where are you going? We're going to Boston. This is what happened over here. Join up with us now. Okay. Drop your plows and your shovels and whatnot and grab your guns. I'm sure it started relatively small and just it grew and grew and grew as they made their way towards the town. And then, of course, how did word get around? Well, it got around by people on horses like Paul Revere.
Jacob Paulsen: Right.
Riley Bowman: So it's a fascinating thing, though. I mean, it's rare that you see masses of people to that extent assemble so rapidly. I mean, like, you know, in the morning, General Gage's Redcoats sees the powder horse there at a powder house at Charleston and by, or Charlestown, excuse me, by the end of the day, 20,000 people are assembled. Oh, just, it's a, it's a remarkable story in history. Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, it's powerful. And from there, we see a series of local counties and towns who start to create these resolves and these documents where they essentially say, hey, we're taking control now. We're going to form our own local government. We're going to take control of the local militia. We're replacing the government appointed officers and we're going to elect our own. And you see this happen, you know, in several kind of places, you know, immediately following this initial powder alarm when the citizens start to realize, like, okay, like, we get their game. Like, they can't beat us in numbers, so they're going to try and take our guns or our ability to use the guns in this case.
Riley Bowman: Yep. And so, you know, over the next several months, remember we were in September of 1774, and we're leading up to April 19th, 1775. Over these months, like you said, there's a number of times where local government and not British government, but people try to assemble. They created a First Continental Congress. They created a Massachusetts Assembly. And the General Gage, he declared that assembly illegal. He says, you're not authorized to do this. And so all this is going on. The Redcoats begin to search people, search their homes, their businesses for guns and ammunition. And then quoting again from David Koppel's article, according to the Boston Gazette of all General Gage's offenses, quote, what most irritated the people was seizing their arms and ammunition. So, that's going on and the people are just day by day, week by week, month by month are getting more and more and more upset and ticked off. And so, just because of time, I'm going to kind of fast forward a little bit. All this leads pretty much right up to this date that I mentioned, which was April 19th,
Jacob Paulsen: 1775, which is… Just a quick interjection there, Riley, because I think just worth noting, okay? You mentioned a quote from the Boston Gazette. I just didn't want any of our listeners to get confused. That was not a quote from the modern Boston Gazette talking about a long time ago. The Boston Gazette is the oldest newspaper in America, if I'm not mistaken. It was first published in 1719. Wow. So we're talking about, at the time, this is what the Boston Gazette said.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, yeah. Oh, you know, I just was reminded, too, there was one other thing I wanted to mention. That in between September of 1774 and April 1775, there was a resolution made in English Parliament, which was supported by King George III, saying, you know, we're going to disarm the Americans. Because, you know, they're being told, hey, we cannot do what we need to do there in the Americas because of their arms. And so, you know, they said, let's disarm New England, which, you know, the Northeast, Massachusetts and so forth. Gage replied To the king and to parliament saying, we would like to do so, but it's impossible to do so without the use of force. So what happened was, oh, and then they had an embargo against importation of arms and ammunition into America. And behind the scenes, Ben Franklin, good old Ben Franklin, was managing to import arms and ammunition from Netherlands, France, and Spain. This, you know, begins a, you know, what's the word, an alignment or, you know, these three countries right there become allies of America for a long time to come. You know, France, Spain, you know, continue to support America even, you know, well after this point, you know, up through the War of 1812 and so forth, you know, providing resources to the Americas. But anyway, there was a – in December of 1774, there was a report that there were two British warships heading to Fort William and Mary near Portsmouth, New Hampshire to seize guns, cannons, and gunpowder. Paul Revere was sent. This is before the later event, which we're coming to, right? So he's sent to give them heads up and warning, which they received. So anyway, continuing on and on, there's so many amazing stories that occur during this time. But as you are probably getting a sense for just tensions continue to grow and grow and grow. And so that leads us to Lexington and Concord. Jacob, give us a
Jacob Paulsen: Little bit of the – You were setting that up for me?
Riley Bowman: Yes, I was setting that up for you, sir, because I know you're going to totally rock it.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, so I think you did a good job of kind of talking about all the events that led up to this. But we're talking about – you mentioned April 19th, and this is where we're at now. This is really when the war begins. Essentially what happens here and we saw it coming is, redcoats are dispatched 700 of them as it were under the command of Major John Pickeran maybe is how you say his name Pickeran, and they left Boston and they specifically went with the intent and sole purpose, of going and seizing all arms and powder at Lexington and Concord that was their mission like go to Lexington and Concord and come back with all their guns and powder, right and so the them go ahead.
Riley Bowman: Was there a reason why lexington and concord
Jacob Paulsen: That's a really good question i think i think that uh you know i don't know did i miss something i'm what i'm about to say is.
Riley Bowman: I i just had the thought i'm like why lexington and concord i've maybe i learned that one time but i don't remember right now
Jacob Paulsen: I suspect that's just where they thought the arms were and the powder sure yeah, yeah so i don't i don't know that for sure, so they they find out they're coming which is the real famous ride, this is the one if by land two if by sea you know kind of paul revere story we know from the north church in boston which by the way riley speaking of which i've been to the north church in boston and to paul revere's house and it is awesome.
Riley Bowman: Right yeah i've never been there i'm so i'm i'm jealous someday i will make it there for sure though
Jacob Paulsen: They have this huge bronze statue statue of paul revere like kind of down the road a little bit from North church and it's intense. So anyway, and the church, by the way, is still operational. Like you can go there to a Sunday service. Just throw that in there. Yeah. So, yeah, They, you know, Paul Revere does this famous ride, warns everybody, and by the way, he wasn't the only one. There were actually two people that were dispatched to warn everybody that the British were coming. And they get everybody ready. And the militia assembled at the Lexington Green, which is basically like a big field, and the Concord Bridge. And they were, you know, these are Americans. They supplied their own guns from their own homes. A few people probably had to borrow some guns, as we understand. And, you know, there were even young women there. that were assembling cartridges and providing materials and supplies to the army. So at dawn, the British confront about 200 militiamen at Lexington. And I quote from Major Bickaren, Disperse you rebels, damn you, throw down your arms and disperse.
Riley Bowman: They didn't like that. I bet that went over real well.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, they did not think that was cool at all. And so needless to say that shots were fired. That's the famous you know the first shot of the american revolution there is some debate over who fired the first shot if it was the uh the rebels or the redcoats but anyway first shots, the revolution uh right right there from from lexington green, and uh the redcoats decide to march on you know onto concord where they figure that they're going to do much better um in fact one of of general gage's spies had told him that the largest patriot reserve of gunpowder was stored at concord um and so that's where they had there's your why, Yeah. Yeah. That's where all the gunpowder was apparently. Yeah.
Riley Bowman: So it was just a large store. That's why they, that's why they probably picked there to go and to be, and you know, just to back up just a little bit, I think it's interesting here. I mean, two things that jumped out at me for one, the, you know, Paul Revere, Samuel Dawes, these guys riding on horseback to warn the people did so successfully because the night before, you know, the people know and the women are staying up late preparing loads, you know, cartridges as it calls it here, which I mean, these are not cartridges in the traditional sense, but, you know, they would put, you know, the proper load of gunpowder, wrap it in some paper or whatever and, you know, have the ball and everything. I mean, basically all I had to do is tear this open, dump it in the gun, you know, ramrod it and it was ready to be fired essentially. The women are doing, you know, like it's not just that the men are involved in this effort. It's not just the men are fighting. The women are also fighting and doing, you know, their part, particularly, you know, for how things were in this day and age, they're doing their part to also support this war, this war effort, which is what it becomes. And I think that's pretty fascinating. And I would probably argue that, you know, many of the women knew, but just as much as the men did, I suspect, you know, they probably could, if they had to, could pick up a lot of these guns and fire them themselves. So, you know, here we have the big battle at Lexington, right? Which doesn't really go so well for the rebels. You know, the Redcoats... Basically win that that fight but what they find out is that you know people were prepared and anything that they were going to uh get you know there in the town had already been you know taken and stored somewhere else they they marched their way on to concord and get there and find out that that large store in concord of ammunition and powder and so forth is is also gone you know The people, they knew they were coming. They got everything moved and stored somewhere else safely. So that, you know, ultimately this was a loss for the Brits. Because they were not able to seize everything like they wanted to. But then the interesting thing starts or happens. They turn around. They start marching back towards Boston. And this is where they start getting really – the accounts of this march back towards Boston, I think, are – I mean, it's not hilarious. It's not necessarily a funny thing. But it is kind of in a way. You have these just scrappy townspeople and they're like, how dare you? And so as the Brits are marching back towards Boston, there's all these little skirmishes along the way. And a lot of times too, just individuals that are hiding in the forests in various places and just picking off British soldiers. Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: One British officer reports, quote, these fellows were generally good marksmen and many of them used long guns made for duck shooting, end quote.
Riley Bowman: And also on a per-shot basis, the Americans inflicted higher casualties than had the British regulars. So the British are the ones that are supposed to be well-trained to fight battle. But in reality, the American people, I described them as being scrappy, and that's exactly what they are. I mean they've had to fight for survival. They've had to work really hard to develop their farms, their land, build their homes, hunt for food, grow food, whatever. This is what they do. You put a gun in their hand, they know exactly what to do with it. They know how to shoot. And there was numerous references in this article and during this time of history, you know, where the reports would go back to parliament and to the king of, you know, hey, these Americans, they practically have a gun in their hand from the cradle. You know, they're born, you know, as soon as they can walk, like they got a gun in their hand. And so, you know, they are, you know, they know how to use these things is what I'm trying to say, so.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, yeah. This begins, you know, I mean, obviously, you know, Lexington Concord, it's the beginning of the war. But then we kind of, you know, transition from these random skirmishes to defend our guns and powder to a siege. I mean, the Americans are just taking up arms, right? They're saying, hey, we see what's going on here. This is war now, right? And the Massachusetts people, they're all in. You know, this is a part of the country. In fact, it's really funny to kind of think about where we're at today in Boston. But anyway, this is a part of the country that's just on board, and they lay siege in Boston. They literally trap in General Gage's army and siege the town. And so now the king's army can't really leave. They're stuck. They're surrounded by Americans in guns. And, you know, there's a handful of skirmishes and things that take place, you know, from April 1775 up through later and, you know, considerably later in the year when George Washington shows up, you know, appointed to lead the army and he kind of takes control. And probably the most famous of the skirmishes is Bunker Hill.
Riley Bowman: Right, right. And before you – because I want you to share the story about Bunker Hill. But there's a quote here I really like. It talks about General Gage. He tried to disarm the Bostonians, which he did somewhat succeed. He collected more than 2,600 guns from this gun control effort there locally in Boston. He basically says, you know, if you want to leave the town, which the reason they would want to leave is because, you know, the army had really just locked down tight on Boston. You've got rebels that are also basically trying to keep, you know, control of the troops there in Boston. And so General Gage says, hey, if you want to leave, feel free, but you got to leave your guns here with me before you do. And so he does collect some guns. Meanwhile, Ben Franklin, he heads to London around this time. And he goes there to try to, you know, use diplomacy and say, look, you know, this is not working out very well. But his trip is not successful. It doesn't go over well. He returns back to Philadelphia. And this is the quote I wanted to share. It says, quote, this is quoting apparently him or his writings or something. I don't know exactly, but it's a quote saying, he was highly pleased to find the Americans arming and preparing for the worst events. Benjamin Franklin is just a total stud. So anyway. And it was coming. Yeah, yeah. I mean, at this point, you can pretty much see the writing on the wall and people were preparing. So Battle of Bunker Hill.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, so before the Battle of Bunker Hill, three major British generals. I mean, we're talking like these were big dogs in the British Army or Navy, really. William Howe, Henry Clinton, and John Burgoyne show up in Boston. And this is late May, 1775, and they have orders from Britain to seize all arms in public armories or which have been secretly collected together for the purpose of aiding rebellions. And so with that, on June 17, we have the Battle of Bunker Hill. So essentially the militia and the British regulars, they just have a little skirmish here, but it's a bigger one than normally in terms of, bigger than normal in terms of number of people that were, you know, injured or there were casualties. And it was pretty intense. In fact, there's some really kind of famous paintings about that. And I think Americans would have won that skirmish if it hadn't been for the fact that they actually ran out of gunpowder. I mean, they ran out of ammo.
Riley Bowman: Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: You know?
Riley Bowman: Yeah. And it says that they probably would have succeeded if the Charleston Powder House hadn't been seized the previous fall.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, which we talked about. Mm-hmm. So I've been to Bunker Hill, which is why you offered to let me talk about this because, It was a very emotional event for me. Boston actually has this really cool thing called the Freedom Trail. Have you ever heard of the Freedom Trail, Riley?
Riley Bowman: I think I have heard of it, but I don't know much about it. Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: Continue. When you go to Boston, you got to do the Freedom Trail. So the Freedom Trail is, I think it's two and a half to three miles. It's a trail. It goes, you know, kind of winds through the town. It starts at Boston Commons and it ends at Bunker Hill. That's the end of the Freedom Trail. It's actually marked literally with red bricks. It's like Wizard of Oz style. I like follow the red brick road. And it's true. Like literally the red bricks like go through streets and through sidewalks. So you just follow these red bricks on the Freedom Trail. Anyway, so it ends at Bunker Hill. And so, you know, imagine I remember when I walked the Freedom Trail in 2010. And you're having, you know, it's pretty emotional to see all the sights throughout that Freedom Trail. And then you end at Bunker Hill. And Bunker Hill, in case, you know, for those who haven't been there, it ain't a big hill. Like that was the first thing I thought when I got. And it was late at night at this point. I'd been walking for a couple of hours. I walked the entire trail. And it was probably like 8.39 o'clock. It was dark. It was a time of year that it just wasn't light anymore at that point. And Bunker Hill today, anyway, I don't know about back then, but today it's in the middle of like a residential neighborhood. Like there's houses around it. Like there are some people who like live on Bunker Hill darn near, right? And so you kind of walk to the top of Bunker Hill and there's a monument up there. It looks like a mini Washington monument For those of you who have been to D.C. or know what I'm talking about. So it's the same kind of shape and style as the Washington Monument, but it's considerably shorter and smaller. And there's a flag waving. And, man, it was intense. Like, I remember standing there and just, like, looking over this tiny little hill and the homes that were surrounding it and thinking, crap. Like, it's pretty intense to, like, be willing to die for a cause. Like, what are you willing to die for? You know, like, that's pretty hardcore. We're talking about people who are dads and brothers and sons. Like, there's a limited number of things I'm willing to die for. And so that's pretty sobering.
Riley Bowman: The people, I mean, they were committed. You know, the common phrase at the time was liberty or death. People would even wear shirts and almost like a uniform would have stitched onto them liberty or death that was what was important to the people was to be free they wanted to be free and if they couldn't be free they would rather be dead
Jacob Paulsen: That's right yeah it was just crazy, I just remember standing on that hill and you know the craziest thing I was the only one there wow wasn't another person in sight I mean in the homes I could see lights, you know, but I was all by myself on this national, I assume today it's like a national memorial or monument or something. And I was just standing there all by myself, dead silence, you know, late in the evening, dark outside, flag was waving. It's well lit, beautiful, well lit flag. And it started to rain a little bit. And I'm glad it did because I started to cry. It was like, this is so emotional. I'm telling you, Bunker Hill is a must stop.
Riley Bowman: Cool. Good story. So, anyway, so we have this battle there. As I mentioned, they probably would have annihilated the British Army at this point, at least what was stationed there at this time, had they not run out of powder. Two days later, General Gage renews his commitment to disarming the people and says, anyone found in possession of a gun will be charged with treason, which as you might've guessed, that would be, the punishment would be death. And so, you know, that's, that is what's at stake here. And that's why I mentioned what I mentioned was that, you know, the people understood this liberty or death. It was either, or there was no middle ground. They were either were going to be free or they were going to die. Okay.
Jacob Paulsen: So, yeah, at that same point, you know, we're talking a little bit later now in July, Continental Congress sends a letter to the people of Great Britain, an open letter to the people of Great Britain warning that, quote, men trained to arms from their, infancy and animated by the love of liberty will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest, end quote.
Riley Bowman: And they had, in fact, adopted an official declaration of causes and necessity of taking up arms, which was written by Thomas Jefferson. So here we begin to see kind of the beginnings of, I mean, almost exactly a year later, we have the Declaration of Independence, which is, I mean, very similar. They lay out in this, you know, all their grievances, why they are so upset, why they are taking up arms, why they are fighting back. And it does come back to this main concept, their love of liberty, their desire to be free. And they lay out their grievances about, you know, Britain's taxation of the people, their lack of representation. And here's another good quote. So, a Swiss immigrant, John Zubli, who was serving as a Georgia delegate to the Continental Congress, he wrote a pamphlet entitled Great Britain's Right to Tax by a Swiss. So kind of an interesting take and perspective on this. So anyway, he says here, he warned that in, quote, in a strong sense of liberty and the use of firearms almost from the cradle, the Americans have vastly the advantage over men of their rank almost everywhere else. Indeed, children were, and again quoting him, shouldering the resemblance of a gun before they are well able to walk. The Americans will fight like men Who have everything at stake And their motto was Death or freedom The town of Gorham, Massachusetts, now part of the state of Maine, sent the British government a warning that even many of our women have been used to handle the cartridge and load the musket. So, I mean, this is their way of trying to communicate that you can come and you can try to force us and you can do battle with us. But just know that virtually every walking person, men and women, man and child, is able and willing to fight. And you guys don't have that quality or caliber of soldier coming to do battle with us. Really, really remarkable stuff.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, it's just kind of crazy to think about. And this isn't in the article, but later that year. And not too much later after this time, we're talking June, July, summertime, the Continental Congress does appoint George Washington to lead that army, which it was tough. I mean, some of the delegates from particularly some of the southern states, they had a hard time with the idea of even recognizing that there was an official army. But they dispatched Washington as a general. They appointed him as a general and they sent him to Boston to take control of that siege. And it's eventually successful. Washington, this is where he meets Henry Knox. I'm a raving fan of Henry Knox, by the way. I think he's just awesome. And Henry Knox is sent to, or volunteers, frankly, to go to Fort Ticonderoga and bring back the cannons that he heard were there. And he did successfully, like through the snow and it's a whole awesome story. And in one single night, they run the cannons up the hill in Dorchester Heights, which also a really cool thing to check out when you're in Boston. And they put the cannon in such a position that when the British soldiers woke up, they had no choice but to retreat. It was like they were staring at those cannons up on Dorchester Heights thinking, like, we're screwed. Like, we can leave or they're going to kill us all. And so quickly the siege was ended when those cannons went up the hill. I might be misquoting it because I don't have it in front of me, but there was a British officer who was quoted as saying something like, those dear boys have done more in one night than I could get my troops to do in a week. And so the siege of Boston is over for a time, but that's when the British get really serious and they send a crap load of troops to New York and that becomes the new headquarters of the battle.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. I mean, that's really what we came here to talk about today. It was just kind of all this leading up to the Revolutionary War at a very core premise of it. I mean, it wasn't the only motivation, but it was a major motivation was gun control. And as you mentioned earlier in the episode, Jacob, there are people that would have us believe That this wasn't necessarily the case, that the right of guns and an individual's right in particular to ownership and possession of guns was not that prevalent in the minds of our forefathers. But I think this history lays it out very clear that that's not the case at all. And as you said, I mean, you mentioned about the militias. They weren't necessarily this super well-organized machine. They weren't at all. They were just people that lived near each other that were in the same community or town or village that they knew if called upon that they just needed to run and grab their guns and their powder and their balls. And go and fight, and that they would assemble together and they would do so. This sentiment should, and to an extent in many areas of the country, still exist today. As far as, I mean, I'm certainly not part of a well-organized, in fact, I'm not part of any militia whatsoever, other than the sentiment of my heart is that if my nation were attacked, I would take up arms to defend it and would be able and willing to do so.
Jacob Paulsen: Right. I am a member of the militia of the people, right? That's the point. The militia is the people. We are the militia. We are the people. And I can see some people who would hear this story and say, well, but today we're not under British rule. We don't have problems with taxation, with that representation. Like, we live in a democracy. Like, what are you worried about? You know, like, I could totally hear people like hearing this whole story and saying, yeah, but so what?
Riley Bowman: Yeah, the times have changed. Um, and, and you're right. I mean, there definitely are people that believe that and are going to believe that. And no matter what we say, they're not going to change their minds or their opinions about that. But my opinion in my, again, referring to my sentiment is that more and more we have a government that seems to, you know, barge its way into more and more facets of people's lives, people's everyday lives. I mean, think of everything that you do in a day and how much of that is dictated by government or the way in which you do your daily activities are dictated by government. And I'm not saying government is bad, but too much government and government out of control is rarely, in fact, it's never a good thing. And so here we are at a time where is being discussed and talked about at great length about, you know, what to do about guns, particularly so-called assault weapons or assault rifles. You know, of course, the feeling is still fresh and the memory is still fresh in the minds of people about the attack at the Orlando Pulse nightclub. And, you know, what to do, what to do, you know, and of course, there is a quite a crowd that would say, let's take these guns away. In fact, some people would take all guns away. They just feel that they are not necessary. But here is why the founding fathers, I think, believed it was so important that they put a specific Amendment to the Constitution dealing with the right to keep and bear arms. And it's because they understood that a government, in their case, it was the government of Great Britain. A government that could disarm the people could do whatever it wanted to to the people, and the people would become slaves to that government. This is why there is such strong feeling on the pro-gun side, people such as myself, you, Jacob, and many others, and our listeners, as to why it's so critical that we fight against gun control. It's because we take a little more, we take a little more, we take a little more, and before we know it, we're not going to have really anything left. And the government will have full and complete power and control of the people. We will become slaves to our own government.
Jacob Paulsen: You know, this is inherent. You know, there's no other option. There is no other way to prevent that worst-case scenario than allowing the people to be armed. There's no other option. I know we elect our officials, and it's a democracy and all that goodness, but there is absolutely no way to throw off the despot than to allow the people to be armed. It will always keep tyranny in check.
Riley Bowman: You know, and the question will come up, you know, well, what's the need for AR-15s or so-called assault rifles? You know, and it's already to the point where the people, we do not have equal power to the government or to the military or whatever as far as, you know, we are already outgunned. But to me, that's kind of part of the sentiment or the explanation behind it. What's the need for my AR-15 with a 30-round magazine and tons and tons of rounds of ammo? The need is, I don't anticipate needing it anytime soon or any day, but it is there much for the same reason as our founding fathers had their powder houses and their muskets and their balls in. Which at the time, I mean, that was the state-of-the-art weaponry. It was a muzzleloader, it was a musket rifle. I believe that it was the intent of our founding fathers that the people should have the arms necessary to defend themselves against tyranny. And that brings us to a conclusion of this episode today. I hope you enjoyed listening to this replay. Maybe you heard it before, but maybe you're a more recent listener of the podcast and you haven't heard this episode before from June of 2016. I know I enjoyed going back through it myself and revisiting the history and the context that Jacob and I discussed. And next week, Jacob and I, in fact, will be doing something also to honor our Independence Day on this special 250th anniversary. Again, a reminder of that upcoming Happy Birthday America sale starting next week. Watch concealedcarry.com and your email for more information and updates about that. And again, consider joining Guardian Nation to make sure that you have the earliest access to, the best pricing, and everything associated with that sale. You're going to want to be a Guardian Nation member. And don't forget that for any purchase made during the sale, And there may be a, I can't remember for sure if there's going to be like a limit to that yet, but that's going to be one of those details you're going to watch for. But it might be that you need to purchase at least $20 or something. I know it's going to be at least a physical product. You got to buy a physical product and we will include a special bonus with every order placed during the Happy Birthday America sale. So I look forward to seeing you guys all do that next week and participate with me in the sale and in celebrating our nation's birth. We'll be back next week again with a special episode, Jacob and I honoring our nation's birth. And until next time, a reminder to train right, train often, and train safe so you can fight hard, fight fast, and fight true. Take care. A reminder that laws vary from place to place and we encourage listeners to seek local legal advice to understand applicable laws concealed carry inc its brands and properties and the concealed carry podcast is not a legal service nor are we attorneys at law we make our best faith effort to share concealed carry related insights and information about firearm related incidents and the laws pertaining based on our own understanding and experience but things can be different where you live or laws may have changed by the time you listen to this we cannot be held liable for your actions based on the information shared in this podcast please exercise care with all things pertaining to firearm use concealed carry and always practice following basic firearm safety rules more information about safety can be found at concealed carry.com forward slash safety