Riley Bowman: And welcome to the Concealed Carry Podcast, part of the ConcealedCarry.com network, brought to you by HK. Today is Thursday, June 13th. Oh, I was going to say 13th, 11th. I'm off. Totally off here today. June 11th, 2026. As of recording this episode, I'm your host, Riley Bowman. Failing at host, doing host duties. Maybe I should have just handed it off to Jacob. All right. I hand it off. Jacob.
Jacob Paulsen: And I'm your host, Jacob Paulson. And I'm also joined here today by Riley Bowman.
Riley Bowman: There we go. Glad to be here. Thanks for having me.
Jacob Paulsen: Riley's wearing his Boulder Boulder shirt. Riley ran the, I think it's like the second largest road race in America or something.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, because I think the peach tree one in Atlanta, Georgia is the first biggest.
Jacob Paulsen: Riley likes to run. It's his thing now. And he ran the Boulder Boulder, so he's got the shirt to show it.
Riley Bowman: There you go.
Jacob Paulsen: It says the shirt shrunk on him. It did. So it's feeling a little tight today. I told them my shirt's a little tight because I'm just filling them out more. But welcome to the Consile Carry podcast by ConsileCurry.com network. And today we're going to be talking about, well, frankly, it's a very self-centered episode.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, very much so.
Jacob Paulsen: Some of you are going to be like, I'm out. Skip this one. But stick around because, I say it's self-centered because we're going to be talking about us. But we're going to be talking about how we have enriched and redone the free elements and tools that make up ConcealedCarray.com. Over the last, call it, three to six months, we've invested quite a bit of energy, time, resources into updating the website. It's not crazy different. At first, I think you'd be like, oh, this looks kind of like what I remember. But we've made a lot of changes intended to make it more valuable, easier to use, and easier to access the tools that we're known for.
Riley Bowman: That's the idea here and you know for a long time it's been kind of the ethos of our company really since the beginning to create a bunch of useful easy to access and you know take benefit from uh resources and tools uh through our website so we've had a lot of tools for a long time some of the tools we're talking about today i mean they've been around a long time but we've done a lot of work. I should say really Jacob especially has done a lot of work over the last month or two to make some significant changes to the website. We're really excited about it. Changes to some of these tools to make them easier, better, all that. Just much easier to use and follow and get the benefit from them. So I think most of the things we'll talk about today are actually available for free.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, I think all of them are. I mean, there's a couple of things that I'll call freemium. where there's sort of like an upgraded version or something. But yeah, I think it's, yeah, I like what you said about our ethos. Our ethos is to be useful. That's kind of been the way we've been doing it for a long time. And I'm excited about what we've achieved with the website. I think our next phase is to kind of make some of these same changes in our app, but that's for another project, another day. That is to say it's in progress, but today we want to share with you the changes that have been made on the website so that you can take advantage of them so you can get all the benefit out of them yep exactly.
Riley Bowman: Today's episode sponsored, brought to you by us, ConcealedCarry.com.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, that seems fitting.
Riley Bowman: We hope that you'll visit our website. You can see it right there on the screen if you're watching. ConcealedCarry.com right in the front center there. And, of course, right here and all that. So ConcealedCarry.com. Check it out. Check out all these free resources and our online store and everything that we're going to talk about here today. But also along with that, many of you probably already know, many of you listening and watching are probably our members already. But we hope that you'll also consider taking a look at Guardian Nation membership, which is the membership that we have at concealedcarry.com. Guardian Nation membership is within that and is an opportunity for you to get even more access to more resources, more tools, more content, more gear even. And, you know, we still ship our quarterly boxes to members and a bunch of other great benefits, discounts and so forth are a part of Guardian Nation membership. So if you appreciate what you can already do for free on our website and you want to take it to the next level, then consider Guardian Nation membership. That's the next level. So if you want to learn specifically about Guardian Nation membership, you can go to GuardianNation.com to learn more. You can also just see it if you're on concealedcarry.com and you navigate in the top bar there, you'll see Guardian Nation membership mentioned. I think up in the right corner.
Jacob Paulsen: Throughout, yeah, up in the right-hand corner, anywhere on concealedcarry.com. If you're signed in, it'll tell you. If you're a member, it'll say active member. If something has happened to your membership, it'll say something like renewal failed or whatever the thing is. But otherwise, it'll just say join Guardian Nation. And you click on that and learn more.
Riley Bowman: Project 1868, I appreciate you being here. You've been a regular for quite some time. He asked the question on YouTube, who are the top 10 handgun instructors in America? And unfortunately, that's not the topic that we're going to get into here today.
Jacob Paulsen: I also don't think it's answerable. If you said who are the top 50, that actually would be easier to answer. Maybe another day. That's fair.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, yeah. Top 10. Yeah, that's definitely a debate for sure if we were to go through that. All righty. Let's jump into the topic, Jacob. In fact, folks, you can reference it. It'll be in the show notes, too. There's a link to, you know, Jacob did a write-up summarizing the different improvements that have been made to the website and talking about all these different resources and things available. So that's available in article form. You can go to concealedcarry.com and title the article. It's New and Easy Resources for Concealed Carriers. We're going to go through this step by step, kind of talk about all these major changes and improvements to concealedcarry.com. So first up, core menu navigation changes. So check this out.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, you know, our menu has been, for those who are watching visually, or if you want to go watch the video of this podcast, you'll see that Riley's sharing the screen and you can see what we're talking about. But for those who have been with us a long time, I could tell you many, many company meetings have been had where we've discussed how difficult our site navigation has been. And in the article, you can see the old versus the new. Of course, if you just go to the website, you'll just see the new. But man, it's hard because we try to be a lot of things to a lot of, well, I shouldn't say to a lot of people, But we try to be like a one-stop shop for concealed carriers that's led to a world where our menu was... It looked like somebody vomited into the header of our website. There was just so much going on. And now we've cleaned that up a lot. Do you want me to kind of keep going?
Riley Bowman: Yeah. No, I mean, if I was just to, I guess, comment on it, this is a commentary show after all, is exactly right. That we've had all these resources. We're talking learning resources, stuff to learn, to teach you stuff, laws legal resources uh summaries of different you know state laws the reciprocity maps business directory of course we have our online store which is really important it's actually you know a big chunk of what keeps us in business is the ability to sell product and you guys buy product which we appreciate uh video content uh our editorial content i mean you take all that and you're like how do you put this in a format that uh makes sense that's navigable
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah it was brutal So before we kind of had like two menus, basically, what we used to call like a primary menu and a top menu. And it was just a mess. It was just so much. And it felt like we can't get rid of any of it. I was like, well, all these things are important. You can't get rid of it. So what we basically did is consolidate it and add some things too, but mostly kind of consolidated all the menu items into what I call six core hubs. So these hubs, I mean, everything that was there before is still there. Is just part of one of these six hubs. And so when you land on the homepage, all you see is one menu. It's really clean. It's a lot easier to manage. If you're on a mobile device, then when you open that up, you'll see sub-menu items of each of those. But on a desktop, when you click on one of those, it will then create a secondary, what I call a hub menu, a menu specific to that hub. So it's pretty, a lot simplified.
Riley Bowman: Do you want to walk us through as an example here? Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: So, you know, shop is pretty straightforward. I don't think we need to get into that, how that works. But though we have made some pretty significant improvements in the shop, though it's worth mentioning, you should check it out. But like we created a Learn Hub, for example. So before, yeah, we had a link for our articles. We had a link for our podcasts. We had a link for videos. We had a link for courses. Now it's like, hey, all that is in the Learn Hub. And it's not just like, hey, here's all this stuff in the Learn Hub. We actually created a experience that it makes it easier to consume that stuff. So when you land in the Learn Hub, you can see some featured content. You can immediately filter by a type of content. Like, oh, I just want to see articles or I just want to see a podcast episode. Okay, no problem. Click here.
Riley Bowman: For instance, I can click on articles.
Jacob Paulsen: Boom, yeah, and you're just going to get articles that way. But within the Learn Hub page, it's really cool because you can even look by topics. If you scroll down a little bit past kind of the initial stuff, you know, we have, I think right now, how many do we have? Like 12 topics or something? I think there's nine there. Nine. So we have kind of nine initial topics. We can add these, and we might as we go. But kind of like, hey, no, I want to start with beginner content, or I want to start with gear. I'm interested in medical or the legal stuff. And by doing that, it will further kind of filter it down. And you still can say, okay, I'm just interested in legal. Now I just want to see articles, or I just want to see videos about legal. And it'll just keep on. You can keep filtering it down. So it makes it easier to get to stuff. This website's been around for over a decade, we have thousands of blog posts. We have near a thousand podcast episodes and we have well over 2000 videos. And so, you know, just trying to make it easier to get to what you're looking for.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, so I've just been poking around here, those that are viewing online, either live or after the fact. I know some of you are listeners only, so we're just doing the best we can to explain this to you. But if you go to the website, you can explore this for yourself and kind of see what we're talking about. But I've just been, you know, kind of navigating through some of these different topics, if you will, under the Learn Hub podcast. You know, you're on the podcast right now, so you can click on that. You can see all the recent episodes, just like you could before. It's just a lot more better organized than it used to be. I can click on courses, but that's going to kind of, we'll come back to that.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah. Courses and videos we'll come back to. Yeah. But even like the podcast is consolidated. Like we used to have a separate website for the podcast and it just like, why, why are we doing this? Like, why are we making it harder? So just consolidating that down, making it simpler, putting it all in one place. Those are all elements that we've been talking about the learn hub. There's a train hub. You know, the train hub is cool. Like the train hub just kind of breaks down all the training resources you can get to on our website. We created kind of a sub page just for dry fire because we think that's an important part of training. We, you know, within the train hub, you can go right to our class directory where you can find classes that are being offered by instructors that are part of our network. You can from there go, of course, to online courses, which we'll talk more about. And, of course, the Guardian Conference is covered in the train hub. So just, again, easier to kind of say, well, why am I at this website right now? Oh, I want to learn stuff. Okay, cool. Like go to the Learn Hub and then go from there. Oh, I want to train. Okay, cool. Like what kind of training are you looking for? Here you go.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, that's exactly... How i how i read this you know if i was trying to view this as uh you know it's obviously not fresh to my eyes since this is our website but if i was coming to it it's like okay train oh you know how do i want to train what am i looking for here well there's lots of different ways in person well great awesome online courses awesome dry fire hey you know we're so often i've been on other websites of other companies including competitors of ours and you you see training you think i'm going to find training courses both virtual or in person something to that effect but i like the idea that we've got this dry fire category as part of this with dry fire specific training resources all under this this portion of the of the hub the website hub
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah i think we've invested far more into dry fire i think our commitment to it as a concept is pretty deep if you haven't been following along.
Riley Bowman: Agreed, agreed. What else?
Jacob Paulsen: So the legal hub, on the menu it's just called laws, but I call it the legal hub. And this, again, is taking several resources that are popular on concealedcare.com, in fact, some of the most popular pages on concealedcare.com, and putting them in one place. So now when you land on this legal hub, the first thing you'll see is, hey, you're looking for your state laws? So that's the number one thing people are looking for. So trying to make that as easy as possible, like, oh, hey, pick your state. You're in Ohio, Texas, whatever it is, click here and see it. And that page has been dramatically improved too. So trying to make it easier. So we've kind of taken a lot of the top questions people have about their state laws, and we pulled those out of kind of this list format and put it at the very top. And then immediately, here's your reciprocity map. Let's talk more about reciprocity maps here in a bit. And then a lot more color coding, a lot more things designed to make it easier to navigate the laws. In fact, something we've done, and we're still kind of taking advantage of it from the back end. In fact, I don't know if you know this, Riley, but we've basically made this now for every legal topic we –. We keep track of, we've created the option of a short and a long answer. So if your question is, you know, does Texas allow open carry? Well, we could have a short answer like yes. Yeah, right. But then we could have a long answer like, but only if you have the, you know, license to carry LTC, whatever. So, you know, that's the kind of thing that we're trying to do. And this is important because the same information is in our mobile app. It's also available in a book format if people want to buy these believe it or not from us in a printed version so sometimes we want us of the long version of the answer to any given law and sometimes we want the short version.
Riley Bowman: Yeah and by the way we and we've had this kind of interactive version for a while but as was mentioned you can choose from this drop down and find your state you can also click right here browse the interactive map and it's a quick way of you know if i wanted to go to utah for instance i can just click on the state of utah there it's going to take me to that same page where i can see okay here's my map here's is the reciprocity for Utah. Okay, so green states are states presumably where my permit's honored, I can carry, or it's constitutional carry, or constitutional carry is, in this case, South Carolina, for instance, is specifically called out there as permitless carry, and it's in a yellow color there, as opposed to these other states that are green that presumes there's reciprocity involved. And then we got our, all of our different like kind of legal topics, if you will, or questions, or I don't know exactly how you want to, you know, categorize those.
Jacob Paulsen: I call it, I think for me, it's legal reference material. Yeah. So we're keeping track of things like, are there any laws relative to guns for hotels? Yeah. What about transportation in your vehicle? What about open carry? What about campus carry? You know, what, do you have a duty to notify? What is the deal with suppressors? You know, all that kind of stuff we're keeping track of for all 51 states. And 51 because we include D.C. And so, yeah, just making it easier to read, easier to find the information. So that's the first thing you find in the legal hub because we think it's based on our data, what people are looking for immediately. But there's other things in the legal hub from there. If you just want to learn about constitutional care, you can. If you want to see our self-defense insurance comparison chart thing, you can, and that's substantial. That's actually one of the most popular pages on our website, Right. People researching, you know, USCCA versus CCWSA versus, you know, whatever, second call defense, et cetera.
Riley Bowman: Yep.
Jacob Paulsen: So that's available from the Legal Hub. Also from Legal Hub, we actually have state-specific websites you can go to. So if you want to go to the Colorado sub-site, we call them sub-sites, you know, the Colorado site or the Texas site or whatever, you can do that. You immediately will see also a thing there called gun law topics. So sometimes instead of researching a thing by state, oh, I want to know about Colorado. Sometimes you want to know by topic. I want to learn more about duty to retreat, or I want to know about duty to notify. And so from this topic page, you can click on any one of those topics, and you'll get a quick summary of all 50 states. You get a nice map, and it breaks it down state by state. What's the deal in that state? You'll also, from those pages, get any articles or videos that we've published that tag that particular topic at the very bottom. And that's true on the state pages, too, by the way. I didn't mention that. But if you're on the Texas page, for example, then you're also going to get any articles we've published that tag Texas. Yeah.
Riley Bowman: So I just clicked through on a couple of those that you were talking about, some of these different topics. State parks, yes, this is an interesting one here, right? Which is kind of an interesting thing that I don't think a lot of people understand. But basically, state by state, you're going to have different states that either permit or don't permit carrying of a firearm open or concealed or otherwise in state parks within that particular state. And so you can see right here, I've pulled this up. This is, I think, very relevant right now because it's June. Some people are going outdoors, going to parks.
Jacob Paulsen: And if you know your laws because you pay attention to stuff, then you would also know that this impacts national parks in those states, right? So I don't know if I can name more than one or two. I can name two Colorado State Parks, but I can name all five national parks in Colorado. So it impacts all of that. Yep, good stuff. Yeah, so Legal Hub is really cool. I think it just makes it a lot easier to find answers to legal questions. And people are looking for that all the time. We're dealing with this all the time. And so these pages are much more easier to find, much more easier to read and consume. A lot of effort went to making sure that they're easy to navigate and read also on a mobile device because that represents a significant amount of our web traffic.
Riley Bowman: So, so far we've talked about the, the learn hub, the train hub, the laws hub. What's under resources here?
Jacob Paulsen: So resource kind of a catch all of things that don't make sense anywhere else on the website, but, you know, there are things that we make available. So, you know, like we have free downloadable things. We have a ton of targets you can download and print off your printer and other downloadable resources. We have, you know, links there to our mobile app, the state specific resources I mentioned earlier as well. And our business directory, which is something we probably don't talk about very much, but maybe this is a good segue because it's listed also in my little article about things that have had a significant makeover. So maybe we come back to it, but I think that that's part of the resources hub. And the last hub is the help hub. So help is important because we get a lot of the same kinds of questions all the time, questions about how do I apply for my permit or how do I renew my permit? But we also get questions that are specific to us, things like, hey, how do I check my order status? Or how do I download this course or this, e-book that I purchased from you guys? Or how do I return a product or exchange something because I got the wrong size belt? We get a lot of those. People should read the instructions when they order a belt. Just throw that out there. So those kinds of things are all in the help. The contact form is going to be in the help hub. So yeah, shop, learn, train, laws, resources, and hub. Those are the four links in the menu now, basically beyond, you know, being able to go right to your cart or go to your user dashboard. Right.
Riley Bowman: Very good. Very good. Let's talk next about the user dashboard, which is kind of another major improvement for the site.
Jacob Paulsen: User dashboard. So we used to have this big, huge, gaudy, ugly, red button link that said user dashboard. And now we just have that little profile icon that everybody knows what it means. So click on your user dashboard. And I guess visually you're going to have to log in if you want people to see what it looks like. Yeah, so what I'm going to do is actually go to the article where.
Riley Bowman: There's a little image
Jacob Paulsen: That we can see. Right in the middle. Oh, geez. So the user dashboard is really, really cool because I just think our old user dashboard sucked. I mean, it just really wasn't very good. I thought it sucked really bad. So it was hard to navigate. You were like, if you were looking for order status, hey, where's that order I ordered? Or, you know, can I get the tracking number? I lost the email, whatever. That's one thing that you, you know, might be doing user dashboard. You might be looking up courses that you're in progress that you've been working on, online courses, things like that. You might be, you know, looking to see when your permits expire because, you know, they're in your wallet. But, you know, you can also keep track of that on our website. So you can get renewal reminder emails. Do I have store credit? Do I have open coupons I can use? What guardian level am I at? Which is sort of like a curriculum-based educational progress thing that we keep track of. What badges have I earned? What are my payment methods? I want to swap out my payment method. I want to change my default shipping address. Things like that. Or maybe I want to use access to my business listings that I've listed. These are all things that previously were kind of everywhere. And you can still navigate to those things independently. But we built this sort of like, I'll call it like landing dashboard page. It's got all that stuff in one place. So it's just much easier to just find your stuff. Just find your stuff, figure out what's going on. A really common thing that we used to deal with a lot on the customer service side was Guardian Nation members trying to change their payment method or change their shipping address or things like that. And so it became very apparent, like, our site is not user-friendly in that regard. So all that kind of stuff got overhauled. I mean, just it's much cleaner.
Riley Bowman: This is, that's really what it comes down to, is making it so much easier to see, to understand what you're looking at, and to have it all in one place. Like you said, this is fantastic. I mean, yeah, like you, one good example, this happens all the time. People need to update payment methods, and I think that was very hard for them to do before, and now you can just see it is right here. It's easy to find, easy to navigate, easy to manage. You can come in here and add a new payment method or delete one if you need to or whatever.
Jacob Paulsen: So yeah, just quickly, in case anyone's concerned with their privacy, you should know we don't store your credit card info on the site. All that's stored on a third party merchant provider system. So the site is just referencing your data from there. And all that it'll ever pull back for you to see is the last four numbers. So you can say, oh, that's the card we're talking about. But something, you know, a tool that's actually in here that most people don't know, it's always been there, but it's just, I think, no one knew to look for it or didn't see it before. But you can keep track of your permits in here. Yeah. So you can go in, you can say, oh, I have a permit from such and such state. Maybe you have multiple permits. I have two currently. And so, you know, you can see that in the little example. And in the article, you can see my Colorado permit. When you put in your permit, you can say if it's resident or non-resident. And you can also indicate the expiration date. And our system will email you at 120, 90, 60, and 30 days before that expiration date. Be like, hey, yo, renew your permit, man.
Riley Bowman: Very cool. Fantastic. All right. Let's now talk about... We talked about the hubs, actually. So we talked about navigation.
Jacob Paulsen: Well, I'm going to make two other quick comments about the navigation. One is the search bar. And I think that might be something we brought up a month or two ago. But the new search is huge. I mean, I don't know. Like, there was just some day where I don't know if I hit my head on something. And I was like, oh, wait a minute. How come we don't have a search bar that's any good? But the search bar on concealedcarry.com is so much better than it used to be. So please take advantage of that. But also, I'll add that that navigation now is universal across everything. So it used to be that we kind of had one navigation for the main site, but then if you went to alaska.concilledcarrie.com or you went to the business directory, these are kind of these, we call them sub-sites, and the navigation looked different. And it was maybe a little bit confusing. You're like, wait, what happened? I thought I was here. And now it's like one clean, universal, global navigation for the whole website. And that makes it a lot easier, a lot less confusing, and a lot, you know, just better to get where you're trying to go. Yep.
Riley Bowman: Probably the next thing is let's talk about Guardian University.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, this is the biggest thing. And, you know, the challenge, of course, to tell you about all the things we've improved is also admitting how bad they were before.
Riley Bowman: Right.
Jacob Paulsen: But video content was one of those. It truly was because... I guess the best way to say it would be, it was a scattered mess. I mean, I think that people already more or less go to YouTube, right? Like, I don't think, we're not under some weird, like, false belief that we're going to be able to compete with YouTube. But that said, there are plenty of people out there who don't want to give their time and money and attention to a website that traditionally doesn't respect gun rights very much. And we have a lot of proprietary content that's not on YouTube. And so we, you know, over the years, as that kind of library has grown and grown and grown, I've many times asked myself the question, like, how do we make it easier for people to find and consume the video content? And you can kind of think of it like there's three categories of video content. We have videos that make up our courses. So, hey, you know, the home defense course has something like 44 videos in it or something. And then you have videos that are standalone, but the standalone videos are still split into two different subcategories. You have standalone videos that are public. Anybody can watch them. And then you have standalone videos that are member only. And so this creates this environment where historically we're sort of always like, how do we get there? How do we put all that in one place and make it navigable? And Guardian University, which we've always called that Guardian University. But Guardian University was kind of this broken, fractured experience, and now it's clean.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. So let's take a look at that now. This is something I'm really excited about. Easiest way to get there is click on Learn, and then on the sub menu there, you'll see Learn Hub, Articles, Videos, Guardian University. Click on that. And here we are on Guardian University. So very, you know, kind of more modern in its approach, kind of Netflix-y.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, I mean, that's what we told the developer. I was like, you know, people know how to use Netflix, so make it like that. So, yeah, immediately you kind of have some featured content. There's a little menu at the top, which we should talk about. But then, you know, as you scroll down, you get all the courses, and then you get, you know, most recently added content. If you're logged in, then after that you'll see my list because you can kind of mark and bookmark videos, you know, for later reference those go on your list and then from there it's all about topics you know you scroll down like here are all videos that we have on the site about draw here are all the videos we have about, you know movement or holsters or you know what aiming or what you know whatever the thing is.
Riley Bowman: Yeah ballistics here's you know a ballistics category that's kind of interesting i forgot about that medical a lot of a lot of good medical content there drills yeah good stuff there dry fire again we've talked about dry fire earlier um you know maybe it's not your intent to talk about right now but we've been adding partner content as well and you'll see some of that popping up here now too like a higher line podcast that's our our buddy mickey shook
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, yeah. So if you go to the very top and you click on shows and topics, so across the top, you kind of have home, courses, shows and topics, then GN exclusives. If you go to shows and topics, this is another way to kind of see the content. And here you'll see partners who we've worked with to bring their content into Guardian University. Because we think that this is, we want this to be an experience where people can get an education, where they can learn things and stay up to date with what's going on. And that means bringing content beyond what we as a company can produce alone. And so when you get there, you'll see that we have Greybeard Actual, Matt Little. We have his podcast, Wiz and Training. We have Mickey Shook's podcast, Higher Line podcast. We're pulling in on agreement all the videos from Cecil Birch, Immediate Action Combatives, Defenders Live USA, which is a great podcast. And Forge of Freedom is another show that we pulled in recently. And there's other kind of content things that are us specifically. So, you know, the Conceal Carry podcast or if you want to just see our content from SHOT Show or just unboxing videos and things like that. There might be more series like that or shows that we add in the future. But, yeah, I think that this is a really clean way to consume content. And if you scroll down, then you kind of get all the topics that we currently have organized.
Riley Bowman: Similar to like when you're on that main page, you can scroll down and see all the topics. This just gives you a simpler way of, I just want to see, you know, some of the specific shows. I want to find, you know, Matt Little's podcast, for instance, and you can very quickly get yourself right to that content right there. Okay. Also at the top, Jacob, we got a category here called courses.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah. This is also important because we kind of had to do some consolidation here. There were like three different places on the website you could find courses. You know, like, oh, this is the place where Guardian Nation members go to see their courses. And this is the place people who aren't Guardian Nation members but who have purchased courses go to see their courses. And, like, you know what I mean? It was just a mess. And so this new single courses page is everyone's destination. If you're logged in, then it's going to show you what you've already purchased. Or as a member of Guardian Nation, of course, it's just going to show you everything that's available to you because it's all included as part of membership. Yeah, it's simple. Also, if you're logged in, it's going to show you all the badges you've earned. So this is kind of the gamification, you know, kind of hub of the whole website of concealedgrade.com. What badges have you earned? What badges can you earn? What rank level are you at? Oh, I'm at Guardian level two or three or four, whatever it is. All that will show up on the courses page if you're signed in. If you're not signed in, you'll still see all the courses and you can click those and view those, et cetera.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. As you'll note here, this red bar at the top, since I'm not currently signed in on this computer, it's basically prompting me to do so if I would like to sign in I can join Guardian Nation for instance to have access to everything and or track my progress so there you go And then you mentioned how you can also, or this is a GN exclusives.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah. So this is another thing that was important to us is sort of like, hey, let's throw all the video in one place. Let's not say, oh, member only videos over here on this part of the website and public videos. It's like, no, all the videos are together, but then there's got to be some indicator of which videos are member only and which ones are not. And this is important for two reasons. It's important because if you're not a member, it's pretty annoying to click on a video and then get a message that says, sorry, you can't watch this. So if you're not a member or you're not logged in, all the member-only videos will have a little lock icon in the corner so that you know. It's like, don't bother clicking here. If you're not a member, you're not going to be able to watch this. But if you are a member, this is also beneficial because from some of the members we were talking to, they're sort of like, well, I get the sense there's not a lot of member-only content. That it's kind of all just what's on your guys' YouTube channel. And it's like, no, no, no. There's a ton of member-only content. And now you'll notice that too. If you're logged in, instead of the lock icon, you'll see the Guardian Nation member logo. And so that'll be your indication of saying, oh, this video I'm about to watch or that I could watch. That's only for members.
Riley Bowman: And I'm not currently logged in, so I can't access my list or whatever.
Jacob Paulsen: Yes, correct. But it's straightforward. Just think of it like you would Netflix. You can bookmark or add to your watch list. Think of it that way. And so that's how it works here too.
Riley Bowman: Uh, so yeah, that's something we could never do before. Right. Uh, so it's pretty cool that you can, you know, you're watching, uh, you know, say this video right here, random video in the middle of the screen I'm picking and you're like, yeah, I want to add that to my list. Uh, I think that's awesome
Jacob Paulsen: To be able to do that. Yeah. Click on a video. Let's see. Cause the video experience itself is also significantly upgraded. So I, I, while like the homepage of Guardian University, I described as Netflixy, the single video page experience I described as YouTubey, you know so your video description like share add to list uh, comment you know you comment you want to see more videos like this one you know all that is there and if you if you happen to click on a video that is part of a uh part of uh our podcast then it'll prompt you to subscribe if you happen to click on a video that's part of a course then they'll say oh this video is part of this course do you want to see the whole course so things like that that just make it more more congruent and organized I'll see you next time.
Riley Bowman: And, of course, we're watching right here my fairly recent video about the new Noxon Anarch flashlight, which I've got in my pocket. I think I saw you had one in your pocket. I do. So, yeah. Great little light. You can watch my review on that right there. And you guys can see here as I scroll down, you can leave comments right here. So you can comment on the videos. You'll see those comments pop up here. And then over here on the right, again, talking about kind of the YouTube-y navigation. Uh want to watch more from this category essentially that's what this one here is saying a more from from more from gear the gear category we'll click on that one there and you'll see it takes us over to a fun range day with the taurus tx22
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah my last comment on this because if you're listening to this whole podcast you must really like us because this is about as boring podcast content as you could possibly get from us but um it is it's self-serving but again And we think that there's value. But anyway, if you're listening to this, I guess my thought would be we don't believe we're going to beat YouTube. Like that's not the objective here. But we do think we're creating an environment that is gun-friendly compared to YouTube where, you know, when you do see ads, they're going to have something to do with gun stuff. That, you know, you're going to be able to watch a video and know that, you know, the other videos being recommended to you are related, that they have to do with gun stuff. And more importantly that everything in here is vetted I mean some of it's very old so maybe if we went back and watched our videos from 12 years ago we might be unimpressed but at least it's vetted you know like we're not putting content you know with YouTube you sometimes just don't know what you're going to get yeah.
Riley Bowman: Good stuff. All very, very exciting. We've been very thrilled with the improvements to Guardian University.
Jacob Paulsen: Well, and the feedback's been amazing.
Riley Bowman: Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah. People love it.
Riley Bowman: Let's come back now to that business directory, Jacob.
Jacob Paulsen: The business directory. So another one of those things that I kind of think that the majority of our students, consumers, listeners, followers don't know about, but we have this business directory. You can find it in the resources hub. And the business directory is what it sounds like. It's a directory of gun-related businesses and also of gun-free zones, businesses that prohibit guns. So it's kind of split into kind of two broad categories if you want to think of it that way. But it will – assuming your browser allows it, it will identify your current location. It might prompt you like, hey, are you okay giving up your location to this website? And then it will sort businesses that are near you, where you are located. So right now we're seeing like us because we are sitting in our office, so we see like Mount Man Medical here and range tech shot timers so so it's pretty straightforward that way but it's really easy to filter so at the very kind of you know top-ish there's a search bar you can search that way or below the search there's a little thing that says filters think of it like a, In fact, the directive to the developer was make it look like Airbnb. So, you know, really easy to click on a filter and say, oh, I just want to see gun stores or I just want to see shooting ranges or I just want to see firearm instructors or trainers or lawyers. There's not very many lawyers in this directory at this point, but there are, you know, something like 30 or.
Riley Bowman: I think there's
Jacob Paulsen: Something like 60 to 70,000 gun businesses in this directory. The vast majority of which are gun stores, they're FFLs. But I think there's something like 8,000 gun ranges in here. And it's free to add a business. If you're listening to this and you're part of our community, you're part of our industry professionally, then you can come in here and add your business too. It's right in the menu. You can add a business.
Riley Bowman: Look at the things you learn just by visiting this. Like I've never seen this even listed before. Denver Muzzle Loading Gun Club.
Jacob Paulsen: Now you know.
Riley Bowman: I don't even know what that is.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, but they are a thing and they are 1.5 miles away.
Riley Bowman: Apparently that's not an actual shooting range, even though that was...
Jacob Paulsen: No, apparently not.
Riley Bowman: So some of these may be miscategorized depending on however they were initially...
Jacob Paulsen: Input, yeah. I mean, some of this was scraped, right? Like we scraped some data from some sources. Some of it's user-generated. Someone just came in here and added a business. We're trying to moderate that. Like I delete listings all the time. I get an alert every time one's added, and sometimes they go in, I'm like, no. And I just delete it. And I'm talking about like truly spam stuff. I mean, if it's a legitimate business in our industry, you know, we want it in the directory. So, yeah, it's great. And if you want, you can toggle over to gun-free zones. And now you're seeing businesses that prohibit guns. And some of this is corporate. Like we, for example, we know that every Buffalo Wild Wings prohibits guns. So at one point in time, we went and grabbed every one of their locations. We imported it here. Others are added by individuals. Like I see the Denver Zoo was added there. You know, so someone added the Denver Zoo. It might have been me. I don't remember. But anyway, that gives you some sense for how that works. Right.
Riley Bowman: Good stuff. Yeah, we hope that things like the business directory are useful for you guys. That's part of the reason why we put it there is so you can find business-friendly and anti-friendly businesses for your sake. I mean, that gun-free zone one I think is pretty useful. Sometimes just knowing ahead of time before you go somewhere, it's like, oh, you know, what's the policy there? What am I going to find when I get there? It's good to know ahead of time.
Jacob Paulsen: And we encourage you to add stuff. So add gun-free zones in here, add gun businesses in here. And you can also review. You can't review a gun-free zone. It's like everybody would give it one star and say it sucks. But you can review gun businesses. So that firearm trainer you work with or that gun range you like to go to or the place you go shop for your guns. If you had a bad experience or a positive experience, we'd love to come in here, find that business, and write a review.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. Go to our businesses and leave a good review,
Jacob Paulsen: Please.
Riley Bowman: But just kind of showing how this works. you can scroll down and see reviews right here. So you can select a star rating there and type in your review. Uh, let's see. Is there anything that we've missed, uh, talking about, uh, the improvements to the site today?
Jacob Paulsen: Oh, geez. Um, I don't remember.
Riley Bowman: I feel like we've kind of covered, uh, most of it here.
Jacob Paulsen: Uh, yeah, no, we, we talked about the user to ask for, we talked about search. We talked about the menu. We talked about the new hubs, garden university, legal summaries. Let's talk about the reciprocity map in a little bit more detail. Okay. Let's do that. So that's in the legal hub and you kind of just go to reciprocity maps there in the legal hub. So we've always had in fact, it might be one of our earliest utilities, for lack of a better word, that we put on our website is our reciprocity map builder. And it's gone through several iterations over the years. It's one of the tools that's available in the mobile app as well. And the common issue we have been running into for years and years, is that we get emails from people who are basically upset because they generate a reciprocity map and it says that they can't carry in Maine or something. And they get upset because, well, but Maine's constitutional carry. So why is it red on this map? And we're like, oh my gosh. I mean, sometimes it's frustrating because we want people to understand that it's different. But also, it's sort of feedback to us like, okay, people want that to be taken into consideration. They want that to be factored into their reciprocity, even though it has nothing to do with reciprocity. And so that's a new rollout to this map. So now, instead of saying green-red, you know, state does or doesn't honor your permit or combination of permits, now you see green-red-yellow. And you referred to this earlier when we were talking about the state legal summaries. But this is important because it's now represented in a three-color tone. And I think that has a lot of value because, yeah, I do want to know states that don't honor my permit. But I also want to know states that don't honor my permit, but they do have permitless carry. And it's not the same. So if you just pull the Colorado – no, this is not Colorado.
Riley Bowman: This is Montana.
Jacob Paulsen: Okay, Montana. There you go. So we're looking at a Montana reciprocity map right now, for example. And it you know we see two yellow states maine and south carolina so maine and south carolina do not honor the montana permit and so you know months ago you know before we made the changes they would have been red on this map and now they're yellow and that's relevant, uh i think this is better because i don't i don't want to show them as green because it's not like permit less carry is not the same as an honored permit, it's it's they're just not the same like it does not mean you could do everything you could do if you had a permit that was honored there. You might have restrictions that are set on people who carry under permitless carry or constitutional carry allowances, right? Or authority.
Riley Bowman: You could come into play with things like... You know, coming within a thousand feet of a school.
Jacob Paulsen: That would be a good example from a federal perspective, but given states often have their own flavor of things, you know, given state might say, Hey, we have permitless carry, but these are restrictions we have, we impose on people who carry without a permit.
Riley Bowman: Right. So, so maybe, I don't know this for a fact, I'm just throwing it out there, but, you know, since we mentioned it earlier about like state parks, for instance, maybe you have a state where if you have a permit, you can carry in a state park and or national park, But if you're operating under their constitutional carry authority, maybe you can't.
Jacob Paulsen: Right. There's lots of things like that. Campus carry is a thing that could vary based on you having a permit or not having a permit. You said state parks. Restaurants that serve alcohol is something that could vary based on whether or not you're carrying under the permitless carry authority or with an actual permit. So, yeah. So any given state is going to have those things. So you need to know the difference between am I going to the state under the guise that they honor my permit or am I going to the state under the guise that they have permitless carry, whatever you want to call it, permitless carry, constant carry, same difference. And so that's why we wanted to make it different but still reflect it somehow. So I think to me it's the color coding is stoplight. Green for go, red for stop, yellow for caution. That's the thinking here of the color code of the new reciprocity map.
Riley Bowman: I've never in my life selected Massachusetts as my residential permit. I mean, obviously, I have no reason to. But as you can see, there's some states that a lot more of them are yellow now because these are states that have a form of constitutional carry. So you could carry most likely in those states under that authority, but they clearly do not recognize Massachusetts permit. Right. Because, well, Massachusetts doesn't like anybody.
Jacob Paulsen: I mean, the logic, like the logic for the code here, the software is if the state honors that permit, show green. So that's the first like filter. So show all the states that can be green is green. And then second, if the state does not honor their permit, then if they have permitless carry, show yellow. And then we get all the yellow. And then finally, if the state does not honor their permit and does not have constitutional carry, then show is red.
Riley Bowman: Isn't it amazing that you got a state like massachusetts uh of course a great state in the history and the founding of our nation oh
Jacob Paulsen: I get sad about this.
Riley Bowman: But most of the states around it you know new york uh connecticut rhode island i think the jersey pennsylvania pennsylvania you
Jacob Paulsen: Know all right like.
Riley Bowman: Sorry tough beans
Jacob Paulsen: Well i mean massachusetts itself is a bit of a travesty i i i, I was about to call it religious. Maybe a better word would be sacred. I had a sacred experience in 2010 walking the Freedom Trail in Boston. And, I mean, truly, personally sacred. But it was tragic. Like, that trail starts in Boston Commons and it ends at Bunker Hill. And as you're going through that experience, you're seeing, like, Fennel Hall and.
Riley Bowman: Like, just this
Jacob Paulsen: You know benjamin franklin's grave like just crazy cool stuff and and the whole time i'm thinking to myself like this is the birthplace of freedom and today it is the antithesis of, freedom yeah it's tragic man yeah yeah.
Riley Bowman: Of course they just had that uh shooting we covered on the podcast uh there in boston a couple weeks ago that crazy guy with a some kind of ar walking around shooting randomly at people and cars and delivery vehicles.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah. I think it was kind of a suicide by cop game. Yeah.
Riley Bowman: It didn't quite work out for him the way he probably had envisioned. Yeah. Anyway, sorry to derail there a little bit, but to your point, I mean... Yeah, so many freedoms removed from law-abiding folk, but of course, yeah, it doesn't fix all the problems.
Jacob Paulsen: No, no it doesn't. But, but, this year is the 250th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence. Yeah. And today, this, you know, March 17th of this year, 2026, would have been the 250th anniversary of Evacuation Day in Boston, Massachusetts. So not a national holiday, but I don't know if Bostonians get it off work or something. That'd be cool if they did. But evacuation day, just thinking about running all those cannon to the top of Dorchester Heights and the British waking up and seeing that and being like, oh, we're screwed.
Riley Bowman: They have us surrounded.
Jacob Paulsen: I guess we better get out of Dodge. Cannon, yes. And they all just get up and leave. Like that was 250 years ago, March 17th of this year. Like that's, that's intense. Like if, if you stand up, you know, when Dorchester Heights kind of doesn't exist anymore, but if you're in Boston and you're thinking about that stuff and you're looking at the harbor, like if you're standing at Bunker Hill and you're looking at the, the, the monument, that is there and you don't tear up a little bit, like I just don't know if you're American. Yeah. Sorry. I'll get off it now.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. Yeah, so we're here today because we wanted to share with you some major improvements, navigation improvements, user, you know, interface improvements, improvements just overall to how the information is presented and how you can find it and understand it, make sense of it, share it. You can still, I mean, I was, you know, we were on the uh the reciprocity map there you can still uh if you go down a little bit you can download your specific reciprocity map okay and if you're logged in with an account you can get an embed code to embed that on a site somewhere if you'd like to do that
Jacob Paulsen: And we encourage that you know so if you're a firearm instructor and you have your own website you know have gun will train massachusetts.com, or something and you want to keep an updated reciprocity map of the of the massachusetts permit on your website like come to our site generate that map, click embed get the code go put it on your site and every time it updates it'll automatically update on your site so you don't have to deal with that yeah.
Riley Bowman: Yep super cool we've had that feature for a long time it's been improved here and there and for a while there people were uh taking advantage of that uh and you know in a way that wasn't giving us credit uh i think we've got the code and that kind of figured
Jacob Paulsen: Out. Yeah, we kind of forced it to give us credit.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, good stuff. All righty. Well, it's probably about time we wrap it up here. We appreciate you guys for going on this tour with us of the new and improved website. I'll highlight again that one of the, I think, the best things that we've done in recent history is the search tool. I have relied on that a bunch since we've implemented that because, you know, as many things as we have resource wise, articles wise, content wise, it's so challenging sometimes. Like I don't remember nearly as well as it seems like Jacob remembers or some of the guys on the team remember where it's like where's that thing on the website and the search tool does such a great job now of finding things and being able to filter it by product or an article or a video for instance and just being able to enter in what I'm looking for filter it as necessary and bam usually I'm able to find things within just a few seconds it just is such a great powerful improvement to the website. All these things, you know, this is just part of what we try to do at concealedcarry.com is to bring useful, valuable resources and information to you guys. It's part of our mission. It's part of what we do. We hope that you'll make use of our site. I mean, one of the things is we hope when people are thinking about concealed carry and firearms and training and all that, that concealedcarry.com is one of the things that is sort of top of mind, that it It is a valued and trusted resource for that kind of information. And hopefully by making it easier to use and easier to navigate, it becomes even more so is our hope going forward.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah. Yeah. I mean, take advantage. Like the stuff is there for you. We do it for you. So go and. And, you know, leverage this tool that's been built. Yeah.
Riley Bowman: Again, reminder of today's episode sponsors, obviously at ConcealedCarry.com. And more importantly, probably, we really hope you'll consider membership in Guardian Nation. That is a huge value, we think. We think we deliver on that and bring members a lot of value for what they pay into that membership. At the very least, you're going to get it back in the form of quality, useful, relevant gear to you as a firearm owner, and especially as a concealed carrier. We work really hard to deliver on that. You're going to get a huge discount off of being able to attend things like the Guardian Conference, which is later this year in September, of course. And we hope to maybe see you there. Even if you're not a member, we hope to still see you there. But you're going to probably see there's, it's pretty hard to argue with the discount you get off of attending Guardian Conference just because you have Guardian Nation membership. So it's a good idea to look into. GuardianNation.com to learn more and hope that you'll give that a shot.
Jacob Paulsen: That's right. Yes. Very important. Very valuable. And today we kind of hovered over a lot of the values and benefits Guardian Nation members get within the site, right? I mean, they save 10% off everything we sell all the time. They get access to two annual member-only sales that have heavily discounted product. They get access to all of those videos that are member-only, not to mention access to all the courses that are otherwise you'd have to buy a la carte one by one. Guardian Nation members get the huge discount at the Guardian Conference, as you mentioned, not to mention VIP treatment while they're there, and, of course, the box, which, a little teaser, getting ready to ship the box this month. The box, well, hopefully it'll be this month. In theory, it'll be this month. It might be a couple of days late because that seems to be how we roll. But anyway, we are shipping a brand new product in this quarter's box. Brand new. No one has one. No one's ever seen it. It was brand new. And Riley and I had, well, I don't know if it's fair to say we designed it, but we certainly had a lot of input on the design. It kind of started as kind of a base product, and then we kind of tweaked, modified to get it to how we wanted it to be. It's a really good product. very excited about it really pumped about it so anyway and and another product also will be in the box so yeah that's that's worth the cost of membership to your point 120 minimum, worth of stuff that we ship to you four times a year, that pays for the for the membership by itself and for us we don't want you to focus on the stuff we think that way more valuable is the content it's the training it's the community it's the conference all that kind of stuff but yeah getting the gear in the mail probably doesn't hurt.
Riley Bowman: Awesome. Well, there you go. That's sponsors. That's today's episode. We appreciate you being here with us and being a part of it. We are really looking forward to, in fact, before we go, I'll tease just a little bit. We got something really exciting planned for Independence Day and our Independence Day sale. And so, yeah, we were just looking at this a little bit ago and reviewing something that is really, really cool.
Jacob Paulsen: There's going to be a free gift, free bonus thing. I'm pumped out of my mind. I mean, the free bonus gift is the coolest thing, but what I'm really pumped about is 250 years of America. Like that's depending on when you want to measure it. So 250 years is the anniversary of the voting on and signing of the Declaration of Independence. And it's kind of the critical, we call it the spirit of 1776 for a reason. So it's the anniversary of that. And I think it's a big deal. I mean, I was not alive for the 200th anniversary, and I don't plan to be alive for the 300th anniversary. So this is the big one in my lifetime. This is it. I mean, whatever you normally do on Independence Day, like, you've got to up your game, and we are due.
Riley Bowman: You don't plan to be alive for the 300th?
Jacob Paulsen: No. 50 years from now, I'm out.
Riley Bowman: I'll be 93, man. Nope. Or close to me. Yeah, I will. Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: I would be 93, but I'll be dead. I'm planning on not being alive at age 93.
Riley Bowman: I hope I'm still running 10Ks at 93, man.
Jacob Paulsen: Maybe you and I will both die on July 4th and 50 years from now. And then we could be like Jefferson and Adams. Yeah, yeah.
Riley Bowman: There you go. Cool, cool. I dig it. Well, guys, look forward to that. We'll have more info coming up in the coming episodes, actually, of the podcast about our plans for Independence Day, Independence Day sale, and everything else we got going on with that. So until next time, a reminder to train right, train often, and train safe so you can fight hard,
Jacob Paulsen: Fight fast, and fight true. Take care.
Riley Bowman: We'll see you. A reminder that laws vary from place to place, and we encourage listeners to seek local legal advice to understand applicable laws. Concealed Carry, Inc., its brands and properties, and the Concealed Carry podcast is not a legal service, nor are we attorneys at law. We make our best faith effort to share Concealed Carry-related insights and information about firearm-related incidents and the laws pertaining, based on our own understanding and experience. But things can be different where you live, or laws may have changed by the time you listen to this. We cannot be held liable for your actions based on the information shared in this podcast. Please exercise care with all things pertaining to firearm use, concealed carry, and always practice following basic firearm safety rules. More information about safety can be found at concealedcarry.com forward slash safety.