Riley Bowman: And welcome to the Concealed Carry Podcast, part of the ConcealedCarry.com network brought to you by HK. Today is Friday, June 5th, 2026, as of the recording of this live episode. And I am your host, Riley Bowman. And of course, joined by Jacob Paulson.
Jacob Paulsen: Here i am
Riley Bowman: Okay he's yeah i was like i'm starting to wonder is he here is he not here i don't know.
Jacob Paulsen: All right he's here
Riley Bowman: Well we're glad to be with you all today this month or this episode is our what we'd like to get back into the habit of doing our monthly justified saves episode uh, so we've got a bunch of great justified save stories this is what we refer to as We use justified saves to mean defensive gun uses, DGUs, for those that are more familiar with that terminology. These are typically civilian-oriented or based instances of defensive gun uses. We try to pick the ones that we feel meet a justifiable standard. And sometimes we talk about ones that maybe are less than justified in what not to do. We got a story today that we'll share that's kind of interesting in that category. Actually, several stories today seem to follow a little bit of a trend, Jacob. I don't know if you picked up on this, but...
Jacob Paulsen: A little third-party involvement.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, kind of interesting because we don't... Like most of our Justified Safe stories for sure are first-party, you know, involved individuals, like defending themselves, defending their, I mean, defending their family, which you could say is third party, but usually it means you're defending yourself and your family, defending the occupants of a home. And then we have certainly some of that today, but we have a couple of instances today of people getting involved in other people's problems. And I think that is interesting and certainly brings some lessons to be learned to the discussion. So today's episode, by the way, is sponsored, brought to you by CCW Save. They have been a wonderful supporter of the podcast for a number of years now. And specifically, they sponsor this Justified Saves episode when we have these episodes. So we appreciate their support. I'll tell you, it comes into part of this episode today, the importance of having good legal defense to back you up. Because we're going to also go back a couple of years and provide an update, on a story that we talked about. I remember a few years ago, I don't know if it was you and me, Jacob, or me and Matthew, but there's a story out of South Carolina that has been going through. A court process, through the court process, through a defense trial. And that was resolved this last week or so ago. And it was resolved favorably in that person's situation, but we'll talk about what it really means for, concealed carriers and why you wanna make sure you have the best legal protection out there, which we believe is CCWsafe. CCWsafe.com, of course, is their website. And I don't know if there's anything else you'd like to add to that, Jacob?
Jacob Paulsen: Well, it's going to be an interesting conversation, you know, with Mr. Chow's scenario there, but yeah, CCW Safe, kicking butt, taking names.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, absolutely. And Guardian Nation members, save, you know, there's an opportunity for a discount there. You can log in to your now redesigned, improved, cleaner, easier to navigate Guardian Nation member dashboard, and you can find the CCW Safe discount, opportunity that exists there for GN members. So take advantage of that. Also, today's episode sponsored by HK, our title sponsor the podcast. And they are sponsoring this episode today as well. Today's defenders, well, as far as we know, carried quality tools, at least carried good enough tools that work. But we think it's important you carry the best tools. And so we put our lives and our trust in HK and HK USA's products. HK USA is the US based operation. And of course, they make the new HK CC nine right here in the good old USF a and and even the guns that come of course, out of Germany are fantastic guns. I've been, you know, rocking with the VP nine a one series pistols for a while now. And I think they're fantastic. And the CC nine is a great choice for a compact option as well. What have you been carrying lately, jacob cc9 i think.
Jacob Paulsen: Cc9 yeah almost exclusively for many months
Riley Bowman: Yeah it's a great gun fantastic gun so, guys check out hk and support our sponsors and support us to make us bringing this content to you possible you can go to hk-usa.com for the website and uh yep thanks for, doing that so that we can keep rocking here with the quality content on the podcast. Well, Jacob, we've got up first. We typically like to cover our what not to do's and who stories. This is definitely, there's some things here that, lessons to be learned as to why we caution people getting involved in other people's problems. And that's kind of the highlight here of our what not to do. So a story out of Hazel Park, Michigan reported on clickondetroit.com. Apparently hazel park i presume is like a suburb or a part of, uh the detroit area i don't know for sure but that's that's how i see this, so anyway we had a after prom party taking place there uh and unfortunately the end result of that party was a 20 year old man dead and a 19-year-old woman, injured, presumably seriously. This is kind of an interesting situation. We had multiple witnesses involved. Of course, it's a party, so that's to be expected. We got a number of people there, and there's multiple witnesses. They said the shooting occurred in response to an alleged armed robbery of a wristwatch. That seems kind of unusual in today's world, Jacob. I don't hear very often about like, hey, man, nice watch. Like, give me your watch. I mean, I know it happens. It's just to hear that like as like the central like starting point of this story is kind of interesting.
Jacob Paulsen: I think everything about this is weird. I mean, to add some more context, this is an after prom party. Now, prom is a high school event. It could be junior prom, senior prom, doesn't really matter. But you don't have a lot of 20-year-olds, 21-year-olds, and 19-year-olds that are still in high school. And only people mentioned in this news story are 19 or older. So this is already a little bit like – and this is at an Airbnb. This is at a short-term rental. And so this is not even at someone's house where there's parents involved. The whole thing is dicey and questionable.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, it is. And although I feel like you're being a little bit judgy because, you know, maybe these kids were all a little slow to, you know, graduate high school, you know, they got held back a few years, you know?
Jacob Paulsen: Maybe, maybe, you know, that could explain some of the judgment we see here. I mean, who am I to say? But, you know, it's the point is like, this is not a bunch of 16 year olds. These are the people involved in this incident. I don't know who all was there at the after prom party, but the people involved directly in what happened are all very much so adults.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, yeah. So you got this 20-year-old, and it's interesting, Jacob, because it consistently in the story refers to the 20-year-old as the victim. However, they are the one that perpetrated the robbery of the wristwatch. Okay, so the story basically goes, according to witness statements, that this 20-year-old, Attempts to rob somebody. I don't even know who that is. Of the wristwatch. And the third party, the shooter in this case, it just says that he was a witness to the robbery. So he's apparently not the one being robbed. But he sees the robbery taking place.
Jacob Paulsen: Worth clarifying, it's an armed robbery.
Riley Bowman: Right, right, right. Armed robbery. And I think I did say that earlier. But yeah, armed robbery. So armed robbery, wristwatch, 20-year-old. Okay, so third party individual witnessing this chooses to engage and does say that this person had a concealed pistol license. And that person gets involved and shoots the 20-year-old. I mean, of course, we know the outcome of that is he's dead. Now, you may be thinking like, okay, I mean, like what's the big to do here? I mean, like 20 year old guy, armed robberies, you know, you know, arm robs a person of their property. Other dude shoots the armed robber. And like, what's the big to do here? Is interestingly enough. I saw another story, too, somewhere. I don't know where that actually ended up. I think there was a source here. But the point is, there's an ongoing investigation here. It does say to the person, it's unsure if he's going to face charges related to the incident. But um the the question here or the really what we're trying to pose to you is be careful getting involved in other people's problems because the other source i was thinking of jacob that, i don't have here for whatever reason is it was basically talking about how it was unclear to some of the observers who the actual bad guy was, so you got other witnesses that were basically calling into question like, well, we're not really sure who, you know, like it was unclear to people. And that was kind of the point that I took from this was you're a third party observer and you don't maybe always know who the initial aggressor is or who the actual bad guy is or if this person with a gun is the armed robber or he's a person that's responding to a robbery himself. And now you're observing that and, but you're, you know, you see what I mean? Like it can get messy really fast.
Jacob Paulsen: There's some interesting language in the news story and sometimes you know we split hairs over these things because the objective here is not to perfectly nail down what happened the objective here is to try and learn some things and grow as concealed carriers and use this as a back of like a backdrop for the conversation so but that said like the exact wording used is um the shooter who police say had a valid concealed pistol license shot the victim after witnessing the robbery occur so that's very interesting because that would if we take this at a very literal level and trust the journalist all questionable but that would suggest that the robbery happened and then the robbery was over, not happening and then our good guy with the gun decided to shoot the bad guy who had robbed the person of a watch yeah,
Riley Bowman: That's a great point yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: The timing is suggestive of being I'll call it criminal action Like I don't think it's legally justified to observe an armed robbery take place. And then when it's over and done to say, I'm going to go shoot that guy who stole that person's watch. So maybe, again, I'm splitting hairs, reading too much into it, whatever. You can take that for whatever it's worth. But that's problematic. And it's worth noting, I think the other kind of half of this, which is where you were going, is that somebody else was injured, right? It wasn't just the armed robber. So we're in a busy Airbnb with a party going on, presumably with some high schoolers maybe, and a bunch of adults, probably some other things going on that most parents of high schoolers would not be thrilled about. And so what I'm saying is it's probably crowded. There's probably a lot of people there. And we're shooting probably in a way that's not super clean.
Riley Bowman: Absolutely. Yeah, a 19-year-old woman suffered injuries, non-life-threatening, but still serious. Because as of several days, I found another source here, as of several days after the incident, she was still hospitalized. So, you know, as far as we know, the good guy in this case, as it's presented, is the only one that fired shots. Right. She somehow ended up injured. Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: So so we didn't have a clean you know safe uh backdrop we weren't mindful of our environment we involved ourselves presumably after the armed robbery already taken place and was was no longer happening so now it's just about i don't know justice or getting a watch back hard to say which and um yeah not none of that is none of that is okay none of that i would call strongly ethical or strongly legal.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. An interesting side angle of this whole thing is the Harvey, was it Harvey or Hazel Park, Hazel Park, you know, community, this little city, this suburb, whatever, like one of the reactionary things that they've done to this is like, they're putting a moratorium on issuing of any new short-term rental, licenses in that jurisdiction because, you know, wow, this is a problem. So, you know, we're having shootings at the short-term rentals. So the answer is to, you know, not issue any new licenses. Anyway, I just thought that was part of the story.
Jacob Paulsen: It's the equivalent of like, we need to license people who grow wheat because, you know, drunk driving has become an issue.
Riley Bowman: Or barley. Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah. That's how it feels. Like, it's like, what?
Riley Bowman: Yeah. Yeah. Good point.
Jacob Paulsen: Got to be doing something.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. Yeah, exactly. Got to do something, yeah. Doing something's better than doing nothing. Anyway, let's go now to our next story. This is a justified safe story out of, Bartlesville, Oklahoma. Armed bystander stops scissors attack. I saw this headline and I was like, no way. Like, that's just kind of, you know.
Jacob Paulsen: We have two scissors attacks this episode. So I'm just putting that out. Yes.
Riley Bowman: Yes.
Jacob Paulsen: It's like we got some people from the UK over here trying to figure out how to create mayhem.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. So why don't you give us the details on this one out of Oklahoma?
Jacob Paulsen: Oh, my gosh. All right. So the police respond to reports of a shooting at a shopping center. So you can imagine whatever you want for a shopping center. I don't really know what that is. Maybe some mall. I don't know. So anyway, they secure the scene. And here's what we got from witnesses and the interviews, et cetera. The armed individual observed a man allegedly attempting to assault another person with a pair of scissors. So I'm seeing this in my head. I'm thinking, all right, I'm like looking over at the other side of the shopping center. And there's this guy. He's got these scissors. And he's like, I don't know, like trying to jab somebody or hit them with – he's attempting to assault somebody allegedly with these scissors. so um As you see this, you, the armed bystander, draw and fire your gun, effectively striking the man who has said scissors carrying out the assault. So detectives show up and they're trying to decide what's going on. This story is an interesting one because most news publications, in my experience, when they publish a story and then they have an update to that story, they either publish an entirely separate story or they just change it. They just update the actual story and they put like updated, you know, with a date. But this one, you actually get the current story. And then at the bottom, it says, you know, the original story. And it gives you the entire original story, which I find fascinating. And there's not a lot of different details as far as, you know, in the original story that, you know, we got more details now. Now we know that there were scissors involved, basically. But it's clear that both the original and the new version of the story both say that like this investigation is not over. Like we're still looking into this.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. It even said in the updated story that no arrests have been made. Yes. Like, so I mean, scissors toting dude obviously has shooting as a scissors and is supposedly assaulting somebody gets shot. It doesn't actually say that person is, They got shot, like died or anything, right? Did I, I didn't miss any, just says injured.
Jacob Paulsen: It says he's receiving emergency medical treatment.
Riley Bowman: So typically if you got a bad guy, like even if they end up needing medical treatment, you know, they spend a few days in the hospital or whatever. Like they, they typically still get arrested and are placed under arrest while they're getting treatment. You know what I mean? Like, so that, that little detail I thought was kind of interesting that no, no arrests have been made. Mmm.
Jacob Paulsen: But there could be a mental health issue or concern here. There could be a domestic thing going on. You know, for all we know, the man with the scissors was defending himself from some crazy, you know, ex-girlfriend. I mean, we don't, we don't, we just don't know, right? Like there's, you know, any number of potential things. And it does, it specifically says that the condition of the alleged assaulter of scissors, with scissors, his condition was not released. So, you know, maybe he did die. Maybe he didn't die. You know, condition not released.
Riley Bowman: Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: But regardless, we have another incident of somebody observing something at a certain distance and saying, oh, my day has come. This is why I carry this gun is to protect people from crazy scissor assaulting people. And so I'm on this. I'm jumping in. And there's a lot of things we don't know, Riley, like were verbal commands given. Hey, drop those scissors. Hey, you know, cut this out. Hey, stopped it. You know, like, or was it just like, oh, that's not good. Draw a bang. You know, I mean, we don't know. But those are things that are worth thinking through.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. Yep. Very, very interesting story there. And again, caution with getting involved in other people's problems. Like, you know, what was going on here? What was the deal with the scissors? Who was doing what to who? Who is the bad guy here? Et cetera, et cetera. By the way, did you see that I put it up? I left it up here. It's been a minute or two, but Phil commenting on Facebook, you know, this is obviously in reference to our sponsor, to one of our sponsors of today's episode being HK says he owns a P7 M13, a Mark 23 and a USB 45. I stopped a robbery at my pharmacy with the latter. That's awesome, dude. We'd love to hear more about that, by the way. Feel free to message us.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, it's interesting because we are – yes, Phil, you should definitely message us. We'd love to chat with you. But I feel like sometimes we talk out of two sides of our mouth and the listeners might see some hypocrisy from us. Because out of one side of our mouths, we're saying, hey, be careful about getting involved in third-party situations. You don't know what you're doing. And then on the other side, we're like, hey, good job stopping this robbery at your pharmacy. Right? Which is frankly a third party situation. And so I guess I'm just feeling like we have to add some context or clarity that it's, we're not saying you should never get yourself involved in third party situations. I think what we're trying to say is that when you're getting involved in a third party situation, there's an added level of risk because you lack information. And that lack of information increases your risk, both legally and morally. So it doesn't mean you shouldn't get involved, it just means that you know less than you would if you were the first party, right? If you were directly involved in the incident. And so there's a higher burden on you to try and get information. And me and Riley, we're not there, right? We're reading news stories. So maybe if we went and interviewed the guy at the mall or this guy on Facebook who stopped the robbery at the pharmacy, they might be like, oh, it was super obvious. I saw this and this and this, and that made it very clear to me what was going on. And we might be like, oh, geez, well that makes total sense right like we just don't know um so we're giving this kind of cautionary tell right
Riley Bowman: And that's exactly it we are saying be careful you know and that care is make sure you know what's going on there is a there's a difference between an armed robbery at a pharmacy and, an armed robbery on the street and i know that like you're like well an armed robbery is an armed robbery um, When you're in, say, a pharmacy, you've got pharmacy workers. They're behind one side of a counter. And when you have somebody on the other side of that counter with a gun in their hand, that's usually pretty clear. That's a lot easier to read of a situation than just... I like to share the experience that I had a number of years ago when I was working in a construction project in Aurora, Colorado, of all places, and saw a man carrying a gun, like outstretched moving towards somebody in a parking lot and i'm going oh my gosh i'm about to watch somebody get you know whacked, and that man carrying a gun moving with purpose towards somebody else in this parking lot was an undercover cop, you see what i mean like it would have been easy for me to perceive that as being an armed robbery because but the context was very different than an armed robbery in a pharmacy, for instance, you know, again, it's just, everything is contextually dependent, right?
Jacob Paulsen: Yes. Yes. And I think one of, one of the, and I think, I think I've talked about this many times, but I struggle, I struggle every time I see one of these news incidents where we're using guns and, Potentially just to protect property. And I struggle because an armed robbery at a pharmacy is a great example of a situation where we just don't know what the likelier intended outcome is. Like we know that they want money or valuables or drugs or whatever the thing is at a pharmacy that they're robbing. But we don't know if they're going to get that stuff and then shoot the people, if they're going to shoot witnesses, if they're going to go out with a blazing gunfire, or if they're going to be like, sweet, we got the pills, let's roll. We don't even know sometimes, plenty of times we've caught armed robbers who were actually using fake guns or BB guns or any number of other things that weren't even really deadly threats. So it's one of those situations that really is contextually dependent where you end up having to make a judgment call, one that's right for you on site, on scene, based on all those little details and your instincts and all that stuff. And I never mean to suggest that, in hindsight, looking at this as the Monday morning quarterback, that it was the right or wrong judgment call. I only mean to point out that there has to be a judgment call there because certain plenty of armed robberies of watches after prom parties probably end with nothing more wrong happening than someone's lost a watch.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. All right. Moving to the next story here. Tulsa, Oklahoma. So also out of Oklahoma. This is a sad one, right? You know, when we come across some ones like this, it always is sad, you know, because this is a family that's involved. And domestic violence situations are they're just they're tragic, no matter which way you look at it. Yes, there may very well usually is a bad guy, you know, involved or could be a woman. But in this case, we have an unfortunate bad guy who happens to be, a father, a 49-year-old man. He attacked his son, 16-year-old son, assaulted his wife. So this is a domestic violence situation that's very violent and getting out of control very rapidly. Um so apparently presumably as you know the maybe the attention was turned to the wife the 16 year old boy goes and grabs a gun that was kept in this apartment and shot his dad, shot his dad in the head in fact killed him right there on the site it's interesting it was uh, specific enough in the story to state that that he was found you know police found him dead with a gunshot wound to the head uh, absolutely tragic traumatizing terrible i mean the the domestic violence itself is traumatizing enough and then of course the trauma, actually you know having used violence against your father and killing him i can only imagine how how terrible that would be, but this is where you know i mean if we were to look back over all the justified saved episodes jacob that we've covered over the years, if you were to take a guess i mean just obviously this is not scientific in any way but How many times would you say we've covered a story where a minor occupant of a home grabs a firearm and uses it in defense? Hmm.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah. 30 to 50 times.
Riley Bowman: More times than people would probably think, right?
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, it happens.
Riley Bowman: And we don't even cover all the stories that exist out there, right? But out of the ones we've come across over the years, I mean, yes, dozens of times we have had stories like this. And so this is where I get a little bit testy, you know, with legislators that want to impose, storage requirements on families, you know. Oh, absolutely.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah. If this place, if this had happened in Colorado, then however this gun was stored that this 16-year-old was able to retrieve it was illegal storage. Right. I mean, it would have been criminal. Luckily, you know, defense to having broken that law is using the gun in self-defense. So he wouldn't have been charged here in Colorado. But the way the gun was stored was definitely illegal. And so, yeah, it is a very frustrating situation. And we're talking about a situation. I mean, I don't know all the details about why these people owned a gun, but I think based on interactions I have with students who come through my classes that a large number, particularly of female students, Divorcees, women who are divorced from a man or an ex-boyfriend, a lot of them get restraining orders and then they go get a gun. They look at it like, hey, I'm going to be on my own. The cops aren't going to show up on time. And so I need a gun and I need to know how to use that gun because I might be the person in the next news story. And we've seen that play out enough times, not in the news stories, but I've seen enough people come through my classes saying that that's their game. That's why they're coming through. I know an instructor who had a student come through once to get her permit and to go buy a gun and then came back to the class two years later after she had shot and killed her ex-husband and wanted to take the class a second time. So my point is that we see this a lot because restraining orders do nothing to protect people in the moment. They potentially give law enforcement a valid way to take some action. But in the moment that the ex-husband, the ex-boyfriend, the stalker comes knocking, cops ain't there. And so this is a semi-common means of planning to defend oneself. And so I see a world where I'm making this up where the mom's like, hey, 16-year-old son, your dad's freaking crazy lunatic nut job, as you know. And so we got this gun right here. And, you know, if he comes to knocking, like, this is how you get it. This is how you access it. Like, do what's got to be done. And that's what happens here.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. That's a good summary, Jacob, and I appreciate you sharing some additional context from your own experience, folks you've trained over the years. And I agree with everything you said there. This is also why I get upset when we institute things like mandatory waiting periods for gun purchases by lawful individuals. Because who's to say that someone going into a gun store today who is a lawful individual doesn't need a gun potentially that day. And I think we've even covered stories where like a person, I don't remember a specific one, but I feel like there was one we covered where someone acquired a gun and like needed it that night. So yeah, good stuff. as far as good lessons learned from this. These are the kinds of things, the nuances and the context that need to be considered about such policies. Obviously, we're not believers of any sort of amount of gun control at all, but, this is something I wish that our lawmakers would actually pay attention to a little bit more.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, these things happen.
Riley Bowman: Next story. How about this?
Jacob Paulsen: X is X. It's confusing.
Riley Bowman: X is X breaks in, armed, defender fires back. I had to read this story a couple of times to make sense of it. By the way, this is out of Springfield, Ohio. Initially, I saw Springfield and I was like, oh, Illinois? No, this is in Ohio. So Springfield, Ohio. Jacob, you explained to us the confusion of the story here. The ex's ex. Who's the ex's ex here? What's going on?
Jacob Paulsen: Well, the problem is that there's three exes. Everybody in this story is an ex of somebody else. Right. And so how I interpret this is you have a woman, and she has two exes. One of those exes is our aggressor, and one of those exes is our good guy.
Riley Bowman: Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: So the good guy X happens to be present. Like this must be one of those mutual breakup things where it's like, yeah, we're exes, but we're still friends. You know, I'm over here hanging out with my ex. We're chilling. You know, it's all good. So you got one ex hanging out with the ex and there that's a cordial meetup. But then the other ex shows up and this ex is violent and not there to sip coffee and talk about old time sake. And so the cordial ex has to shoot the other ex to save the woman who's the ex of both.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. That's what I got out of it as well. Yeah, this is messy. And relationships are messy. But, man, somebody here needs to get things figured out. And if you fit in one of these categories, most of us do in some way, just, I guess, be careful getting involved with your exes. I mean, I don't know what's going on here, right? But man, you know, you're, you're an ex girl or boyfriend or whatever, and you're over at your ex-girlfriend's house and she's got another ex that shows up, you know, trying to basically kill everybody. I mean, like, this is just, this is like stuff out of a movie made for a movie.
Jacob Paulsen: Well, it gets, it gets serious too. Cause like the, the good guy X, he calls nine one one when the bad guy X forces entry. And the bad guy X, by the way, guess why he came over? He came over to get his gun.
Riley Bowman: Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: So bad guy X forces entering the home, says, I want my gun back. I'm making up the words. I'm here for my gun. Give me my gun, darn it. The good guy X gets on the phone. Hey, 911, we got this crazy lunatic over here saying he wants his gun. And the bad guy presumably gets his gun or he brought another one with him because it says
Riley Bowman: He pulled out a gun.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah it says he pulled out he drew and fired a shot that missed no one gets hit by this now good guy x who's on the phone with 911 is like oh dang this just got real so he draws his gun this is a gun loving group i mean they just they all got guns and so he draws his gun and returns fire or fires and uh that's that's where now we got multiple multiple gunshot wounds on the bad guy x
Riley Bowman: Yeah and he passes away.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah medics for being shot
Riley Bowman: Uh sorry to laugh but i mean again the whole situation is just it's nuts this is a crazy one um but in this case appears to be a lawful use of deadly force in defense. And I think an interesting point here, Jacob, is just to point out that and I think this is true of, most states, as far as I know. But specifically, again, this is in Ohio. And I believe this is how it would play out in Colorado and any number of states. But here you have an individual who no longer resides at this residence, right? And, you know, it specifically says that, you know, I mean, this is an instance of castle doctrine coming into play, right? Right. And a lot of statutes like Colorado, I believe, uses the word occupant to describe, someone in a home or residence. Right. Not homeowner, not apartment dweller or anything like that, but like an occupant. And presumably like the way the law, I believe, would define it is someone who is who lives there or is invited to be there. An occupant of the home is someone who is there and is allowed to be there. They don't have to necessarily be a resident. They don't have to be an owner, but they are a lawful occupant of the dwelling. And then in this case, you have someone who is not welcome to be there, breaking his, barging his way in and attempting to kill everybody. Right. And so I think it's just an interesting thing to point out that in the case of castle doctrine issues. I believe, and again, I can't speak to every state. I haven't read every single state statutes, at least with a fine tooth comb, but I believe typically an occupant would be the way to think of it. And if you're legally allowed to be there, then you're allowed to use self-defense under castle type doctrine.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah. Ohio is actually a stand your ground state now. So it's maybe less relevant, but yes, I think your point is valid and worth, worth pointing out. I, I think another interesting thing here is, I don't think we live in a world today where any of us listening to this, any adult in America can avoid fully domestic issues. Like all of us are probably related to somebody who's divorced. Probably all of us know somebody who's got a stalker or some crazy ex boyfriend or girlfriend. Like last week, last week we had an ex-husband hide out in a church parking lot. I think this is in florida and try and kidnap his child from his ex-wife when she showed up for church and you know we had and two church security dudes came out with their guns and stopped the whole thing and it worked out fine um first you know so to speak no you know thwarted kidnapping but my point is like it's just it's all around us right like the divorce rate's really high mental health is a serious issue that you know that's that's rampant everywhere people aren't getting the help they need and people turning to violence is becoming more and more common as a solution to problems so i just don't know that we can i mean yes like exercise good judgment don't do stupid things with stupid people in stupid places but also like recognize that any one of us could find ourselves in the middle of this kind of a feud maybe not this specific but you know you just it's hard to avoid these situations and we want to help out our friend our buddy, our brother, sister-in-law, whoever it is, and be there for them too. So we need to be aware and understand.
Riley Bowman: I was just reminded of several years ago when I was awakened to something in the morning by loud banging that I perceived in my head. You know dreamy state as being somebody banging on my house or my door or my window i didn't know what it was at the time it took me a few seconds to get it sorted out and it was my next door neighbor's uh, well i think it was his daughter who had a an ex lover you know an ex uh boyfriend girlfriend whatever, uh i actually like daughter boyfriend anyway i don't know so yeah it was a someone that it was a domestic situation and they came over to, bash in the windows and headlights and taillights and, you know, beat up her car basically. Right. And, uh, yeah, that, that, that involved me. It woke me up. It made me think that something bad was, I mean, something bad was happening, but I thought it was to me, you know, to my household and, um, that was somebody else's domestic situation so to your point um going now to this one is out of i gotta get back to the right page here uh philadelphia pennsylvania.
Jacob Paulsen: This one yeah this one's got a fun little element
Riley Bowman: Doesn't it right so deadly royal farms shooting was self-defense so we're reporting after the fact and saying something was self-defense according to the police this happened so a Royal Farms convenience store. It was on a Sunday night. And it says even the headline, bystander tampered with evidence. And we're like, what? Like, that's just a, little detail in a headline, you just don't really ever come across. I mean, especially a bystander. So hard to know for sure what's going on here, but the story is there's a 22-year-old man who pulls a firearm on a 21-year-old man. The 21-year-old who is a licensed to carry individual draws his concealed firearm himself. So, you know, guy pulls a gun on guy, other guy, good guy in this case, pulls his firearm, shoots the aggressor, okay, who later dies from his injuries, okay. So this is pretty cut and dry. And as far as from these limited details, this is a very cut and dry use of self-defense, right? But the interesting thing, and this is why I included it, and really there's not much more details other than what I'm giving you right here, but it then says the last paragraph of this story police report that immediately after the shooting the man approached the 22 year old, this is a sorry this is the bystander i believe.
Jacob Paulsen: A 50 something year old
Riley Bowman: Bystander yeah there we go and 45 45 year old there yep so this bystander okay it's just sees this happen okay sees sees guy get, assaulted by you know a guy with a gun guy shoots you know good guy shoots bad guy. So this 45-year-old man approaches the 22-year-old man who's been shot, begins filming and taking pictures of the victim. He then approaches the victim's dropped firearm and kicks it underneath nearby trash cans. And he apparently is charged or whatever with tampering with evidence. So I don't know what to make of this. I mean, kick the firearm to get it out of this bad guy's reach. But I also came across another source, Jacob, that seemed to suggest that the 45-year-old bystander was, confronting the 20-year-old good guy that shot the 22-year-old, suggesting that he shouldn't have shot the other guy kind of thing. And he was trying to make it look better than it was as far as for the bad guy in this case. I don't know. It was a little bit confusing to me.
Jacob Paulsen: I'd have to go read additional stories from the news source. But my sense of the thing is that initially when this went down, the officers had questions. They're like, wait a minute. You say you shot this guy because he had a gun. We didn't find a gun. And then they go review the surveillance video. And they're like, oh, he had a gun. Oh, wait, look, that guy just kicked the gun under the trash bin. What the crap is going on here? Like, we got to go get that guy. Like, that's how I interpret this as sort of like initially there were some questions about it because there's no gun. You say this guy had a gun. He has no gun. Like we can't find a gun. We didn't recover a gun. And then, you know, after the fact, reviewing the surveillance video, I don't know if after a fact is an hour later or a day later, but somehow they get their hands on the video and they review it. They say, oh, no, no, no. Like it went down just like he said. And now we've got to go arrest this dude for kicking a gun under a garbage can. That's how I interpret this is that, you know, this is sort of up-age scoring. Yeah. The news publications may say, hey, by the way, that shooting was self-defense. And it turns out a bystander tampered with evidence. So I think a couple of takeaways for me, one would be Don't go kicking guns. You know, don't mess with evidence. Like you don't want to be the guy who gets arrested for tampering with evidence because for whatever reason. And, you know, does this guy try to make it look bad for the armed defender? Maybe. Maybe he's like, score. I'm going to come back in a couple hours and get me a free gun. I'm going to kick over here in these trash bins. And then after this all settles down, I'm going to come get me a free gun. I don't know. i don't know what he's thinking but don't be the guy who who does that i'm reminded of course of an incident here from the town i live in in arvada where a good guy with a gun shot a lunatic with a gun put you know holstered his own gun walked over to the bad guy picked up his ar-15 and responding cops showed up and shot the good guy who was now holding an ar-15 so i think there's any number of reasons you just don't want to touch stuff you just don't want to you know you don't want to involve yourself to that level uh beyond what's necessary to make a scene safe and then you better be prepared to articulate those things. So I think that that's a factor. I think also, I think that you need to be prepared for situations or The other thing I guess it makes me think of is we've debated at times kind of the say nothing versus say everything approach when dealing with law enforcement. Cops show up. They want a statement from you, what happened. And a lot of people perpetuate the strategy of say nothing to the cops. I want my attorney. I'm making no statement. That's it. Go away. Well, if you had done this in this incident, if you'd been the guy at the gas station, you said no statement from me. I want my attorney. And they said, fine. They put you in handcuffs. They put you in the back of the squad car. The coroner shows up, takes the body, puts in a body bag, hauls it off. Two days later, your attorney finally says, yeah, we're ready to make a statement. The attorney tells the cops what happened, and the cops are like, God, there was no other gun at the crime scene. They go back to look for it, and it's long gone now. Someone found it. The garbage man found it. Whatever happened, it's gone. So that would be a scenario where this really maybe didn't play to your favor well. Now, we obviously, I'm not advocating for the tell everything approach. Oh, this is what happened. This guy did the other. There's no attorney would think that's a good idea. But what we tend to find most of the biggest experts in self-defense would suggest is that the ideal scenario is say a little bit approach. There's kind of this balance between the two. And maybe that's happened here. If you said, listen, I was afraid for my life. Dude pointed a gun at me. And so I took some action. I'd like to consult with an attorney before I make any more statements. but the gun should be over there, like go retrieve it, like pointing out potential evidence and witnesses. Oh, and that guy over there, he saw everything. In fact, he had his phone out and he was filming. Like, you know, the gas station has cameras. Like, you're pointing out evidence, pointing out witnesses is definitely in your favor. And in this case, it might have been the difference maker.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. Good stuff. Let's go now to Park City, Utah. This is kind of a fun one. Park City resident who held suspect at gunpoint speaks out, according to the story from KSL TV. Do you want to tell us one?
Jacob Paulsen: Sure, yeah. So what you got is this crazy lunatic with scissors. We're back to more scissors, attackers. I don't know what's going on.
Riley Bowman: It's crazy. I've never seen that before, especially in one episode.
Jacob Paulsen: I think we should start requiring background checks for scissors. I just don't think that these should be publicly available for sale i mean they're just clearly too deadly too dangerous so guys running around some apartments canyon creek apartments in park city uh there are no crappy apartments in park city utah so you know these are probably some nice apartments and so he's running around with his scissors and uh the cops are chasing him and they hit him with some bean bag rounds during the chase okay so he's been hit with some bean backgrounds, but he swings down from some third floor balcony, it says, onto a second floor apartment. And you got this guy, the good guy, he wakes up. He's like, what is going on? There's all this drama. And he finds our now semi-bleeding criminal in his apartment. He's like, oh my gosh, this is bloody dude in my apartment. I hear sirens out there. This ain't good. Now something very specific is it says that let me get the exact words This is important let me get the words okay okay Uh, something about, I want to see how he got the gun. Okay. He says, I jump up, I come out of the bathroom. There's a guy bleeding in my kitchen. The, um, the man wouldn't respond, but he started pacing and opening doors. Quote, good guy reached for a gun. He had hidden in his living room. That's what I was looking for. So I got a gun hidden in my living room. Oh, there I'm going to, oh, this guy's acting like a lunatic. He's bleeding. He's trying to open all my doors, run and grab my gun. And then we start giving this guy commands. We basically tell him to get on the floor and stay there. Get on the floor, whatever, don't move kind of thing. Now this dude who's going bonkers in the head trying to open doors, which can't be that hard from the inside, frankly, like unlock it, bro. So this guy is probably not all right in his head, but he does comply with the orders. He gets on the ground. Then there's a knock at the door. The good guy, you know, while maintaining gun on bad guy, goes, opens doors, it's sheriff deputies, and he's like, yeah, the guy's in here, come get him.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, so they arrest him at that point. I picked up on, you know, many of the same things you did, Jacob, and also, you know, thought it was really interesting that the good guy here says that he initially grabs his gun, points it at the man, tells him to get on the ground and stay there. And then he the guy is not really listening or complying fully so then it says he racks the gun yeah and the man finally is like okay uh yeah so you know yeah um, This is the same category as someone saying, well, I'm just going to pump the shotgun and that's going to be the clue to the bad guy to make sure they get out or comply or whatever. I wouldn't count on that being a valid tactic.
Jacob Paulsen: But it worked this time. Here's an example of it working. Make the gun noise from the movies and the bad guy will pay attention now and be like, oh, you have a gun. Crap. All right. I'll get down.
Riley Bowman: Right. yeah so interesting little detail there again i'd advise caution with such tactics but uh generally not advised but hey.
Jacob Paulsen: It worked well we generally don't advise hiding guns in your living room we also don't generally advise having a gun staged that has no round in the chamber so you know there's a lot of things here that is sort of like yeah maybe not ideal but um it worked out in this set of circumstances
Riley Bowman: Yeah it's just kind of a fun story i mean i say fun i mean obviously i don't like to make light of things but it's yes unique in its details for sure and it kind of just you know, we we've been doing this how long now jacob long time a lot of years a lot of stories we've talked about the podcast and you just still come across ones that, it just never ceases to surprise me, daytona beach florida this one is uh quite quite a a story fatal shooting under investigation in Daytona Beach, it says here from police. Um. A shooting that left one dead and two others injured in the early morning on Sunday is under investigation, it says. This is how it starts. But initially it says police responded to a local hospital after receiving reports of a patient suffering from a gunshot wound. So apparently that's the first report they got. I don't know. Seems a little strange to me. but investigators said an adult male and an adult female had met at the park when they were approached by a male they did not know. A disagreement ensued, okay, during which the unknown individual allegedly brandished a firearm. That's when police say the male victim attained his own firearm and demanded the bad guy in this case, presumably, to leave the area. The unknown male began walking away, but then turned and fired multiple rounds, striking the male victim. The male victim returned fire, striking the bad guy. And then it says police said the injured male and female drove themselves to the local hospital for treatment. So I guess the thing here is, you know, when I said it's interesting that police initially respond to report of a man, injured man or whatever at a hospital, kind of interesting to me. Um maybe they called on their way and that's just where they ended up meeting police but uh, this kind of interesting uh story here and the interesting detail there is the fact that you know there's this whatever this disagreement is happens and the guy you know bad guy pulls out a gun, and a good guy pulls out his gun bad guy starts walking away, but then turns on fire so Well, it's just that, hey, be ready. And that things can happen really fast.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, I mean, it's a lot of escalation, right? Like if you're the concealed carrier, you're meeting a girl at the park, you know. You're an adult, so, you know, this is not some, like, awkward teenager thing. Like, you know, maybe you're going for a walk. We don't know if it's romantic, I guess. But anyway, you're meeting the woman at a park, and you're chilling, hanging out. Dude approaches. Some argument ensues. We don't know what the escalation was here. But probably, probably it was two-sided, right? Your mama's ugly. No, your mama's ugly. I mean, I don't know. I don't know what was said. But an argument ensued, and maybe you're thinking to yourself, I'm a concealed carrier. I got a gun on me right now. I'm not afraid to get in an argument with somebody because I'm good. I can defend myself. I'm not afraid of this dude. I got a gun. And then all of a sudden, this dude who you're in a disagreement with, he draws his gun. And you're like, oh, snap. Crap. It sounds like we both got guns. And so then you decide you got to draw yours. So you match the level of force. There's no de-escalation happening here. You match the level of force. Tell this dude to get lost or you're going to shoot him. And he says, he'll shoot you. And you say, you'll shoot him. And there's this little back and forth, little pissing match. And eventually the uh the bad guys you know supposedly and i'm using that that word kind of loosely but he's about to turn into the clear bad guy here in a minute but eventually he he does say okay fine i'm out of here and he starts walking away and then he becomes the clear bad guy when he turns you know kind of turns and sends a couple pop shots off like screw you pop pop kind of thing now you the concealed carrier if you're this guy in the story guess what you just got shot Like maybe when this is all said and done you'll be able to say hey what i did with ethical or what i did was legal no one's arrested me i'm not getting charged but you know what you're not gonna be able to say i you know i i did you know i everything i did was great and i avoided getting shot because you've been shot now and you know you could die like you know like that's like that's the takeaway for me is it's like you know what maybe maybe if we'd not looked at this as i'm invincible. I got a gun. I can argue. I can fight with this guy. I don't want to look weak in front of this woman maybe. Then maybe we wouldn't have gotten in a situation where we got shot. And being shot is not awesome. And maybe you survive it. Maybe you don't. Your odds are actually pretty good probably. But maybe we didn't need to get shot in all this. I don't know. I'm filling in the gaps here of the story with my own narrative. But I think that there's some lesson to be learned there about our ego and about learning to de-escalate, not escalate things to the point we both got to draw our guns now. I think there's the other takeaway for me, by the way, is the use of cover. Like if I'm in a pissy match with the guns and the other guy's got a gun and he starts to walk away, I'm not going to keep standing in the open. Like I'm going to be thinking like if this, like we need to move, like we need to get out of here too. I wouldn't be standing like I won the high ground, that dude's leaving. I'd be like, nah, like let's roll too. Like that dude's going that way, let's go this way. I'd be creating distance. I'd be thinking what can we put between us and him.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. Yeah. And again, the key here is, you're just kind of presenting these theoretical stories, these possible stories. It's not about so much what actually happened here as it is. What are some of the lessons we can take from this? What are the things that we can use to think a little bit more about it? Well, if I found myself in a similar situation, how would I respond? How would I react? What are the choices I would make? And so on. Now, I had a thought, Jacob, that maybe explains the story for us a little bit better. Okay. So this is just a theory, but I know what's going on here. This is a dude that meeting, meeting up with a prostitute and the guy that shows up is, is there a pimp? And then it all makes sense. Like, Oh, okay. That's what went on anyway. Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: I mean, that's not out of the question at all. Yeah. And we don't know.
Riley Bowman: Final story. All right. This is a follow-up to the, you know, I remember this one. I remember, I think there was maybe even some surveillance video with this. And I remember talking about it and saying, yeah, you know, like got to be careful when you start chasing people out of your stores. Okay. So this is a story out of Columbia, South Carolina involving Chike Rick Chow, who's 61. He's an Asian. He was the owner of a convenience store. He was working there, I think, with his son. But basically, this 14-year-old boy came in and attempted to rob them or shop, or he stole some stuff. He wasn't robbing necessarily, if I recall, but he stole some things. He was observed. They went to stop him. And in the course of trying to stop him, uh i think that uh, the the suspect actually then points a gun at him so i think it was started as a i'm just stealing some stuff to you know we tried to stop him and chase after him and the in the 14 year old kid points a gun at him at that point he shoots. Uh and i think the actual shooting took place outside or just out in front of the store itself, and so it's kind of you know you talk about escalation jacob it's sort of a you know there's probably a couple ways this could have played out like one would have been, you could have just let the kid go and you steal some stuff and uh you know you're you're out some some inventory and that's that's lame you know nobody likes that, but uh you know you live to see another day and everything goes on you know life goes on kind of thing um, but in this case you know it basically escalated from the theft of some goods to now we're engaging in a shootout in front of the store, and because of i think the fact that this that mr chow sort of chased after this 14 year old kid regardless if the kid was armed which by the way i mean. Hey, kid was armed and pointed a gun at you. I'd probably do the same thing if I was faced with that. However, the critical decision point here was Chow elected to pursue and chase after this boy instead of just once he's out of the store, let him be, you know, kind of thing, right? And this whole thing became a whole, you know, it got all very political and local protesters got involved and all this stuff, right? But Chow got arrested and he got charged and he's been held in jail since he was arrested. So he didn't get out on bail or anything like that. And he's gone through and it's been like three years, three plus years. Yeah, basically three years that this case has been going on. And the end result is Chow is acquitted. Okay? Jury found his actions to be reasonable. All right? Or at least they couldn't find enough to convict, right? Either way, so, like, the way this ends is, okay, good guy wins. Good guy saves the day. However, he just lost three years of his life. And he's probably lost his store. He's lost a lot of money trying to defend himself, right? And, yes, and to your point, Jacob, now there's a civil lawsuit that's about to take place. right? Even if, even if you do what is right, it doesn't mean that there won't still be consequences. It doesn't mean that the process itself, the legal process won't be punishment enough. Like there is still punishment that can be had in the process of everything. And it might just give us pause to think first before we get involved in certain things. So there you go. That's my take and my analysis. So let's hear yours, Jacob.
Jacob Paulsen: I think for the sake of our listeners, the legal linchpin in this story is whether or not the armed robber, as he's running away, does or does not turn and point his gun at Mr. Chow. Sure. That's the legal linchpin. And so in the closing arguments, the prosecutor pointed out that the only witness who claims to have seen this gun get pointed at Mr. Chow is Mr. Chow. All the other witnesses could not confirm that at any time the gun was pointed at anybody as the armed robber was running away. It's worth noting, by the way, that the shooting took place 130 plus yards from the store. So how far did Mr. Chow chase the guy?
Riley Bowman: Yeah. More than a football field. I just read that again and it was like, oh, yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah. Like a full football field plus both end zones still it'd be further than that. That's how far our store owner chased the armed robber. Now there seems to be no question like we're not disputing the fact that the armed robber did point his gun at Mr. Chow and Mr. Chow's son when he was in the convenience store. But as he ran away and Mr. Chow gives chase for more than an entire football field, plus some, that's the legal linchpin is if at that point, did the gun get, you know, the bad guy's gun, the armed robber's gun get turned and pointed back at Mr. Chow or not? And all the other witnesses said, no, we didn't see that. Mr. Chow said, yeah, he pointed the gun at me and that's when I shot him. So that's the legal linchpin in case you're like, well, like, why was he arrested? Like what's the debate here? That's the thing. Like that becomes the question because from a legal perspective, obviously, yeah, if I'm chasing the dude and he turns and points a gun at me, we just got done reading a story about a guy who turned and pointed a gun and shot at somebody, right? So, yeah, like if someone turns the points a gun at you, now you have imminent Danger and all of a sudden your justification legally, it might be there. But if the dude's running away and in fact there's even witnesses who suggest that he had dropped the gun that he didn't even have it in his hands at the point he got shot then now we lose any potential legal argument of imminent danger and so that's the linchpin here and that's you know that's where the debate is in the community hey you gunned down a man you know who wasn't trying to hurt you versus oh no you you know this guy was a bad guy who's going to shoot you so you You shot him first. That's the wavering thing here. And in a criminal case, right, reasonable beyond or guilty beyond a reasonable doubt is the threshold. So the jury couldn't get there. The jury couldn't beyond a reasonable doubt say that this guy shot a man who wasn't threatening him. But in a civil case, which he's about to go into now, right, now he's being sued by the family of the guy who died because dead people sue you, and if they don't, their family will, right? So we have a wrongful death suit here. The threshold is not beyond a reasonable doubt. The threshold is 50%. Like, is it more or less likely than? So now you have four or five witnesses who all get up and say, we didn't see him point the gun at Mr. Chow. And one of those witnesses says, in fact, I saw it on the ground. I think he dropped it. All of a sudden, it's looking more likely than not that you're out, whatever the liability of that is. And it could be millions and millions of dollars. Your life could be absolutely ruined. So all of a sudden, chasing a guy, a football field plus for justice because he pointed a gun at your son starts to sound like a really bad idea. And whether he was legally justified or not, it was definitely a really bad idea.
Riley Bowman: Had deadly force been used in defense of the initial confrontation in the store, this would be a very different story it's the fact that, like you just put it was sort of this personal pursuit of justice hey I've got to make this right he took stuff from us he threatened us I, can't let him get away And so you chase, and you chase, and you chase. 130 plus yards, you chase. And I mean, again, maybe the kid pointed the gun at you. Okay, all right. But to your point, Jacob, the punishment can sometimes be the process itself. And in this case, he survived the criminal part of the process, the criminal defense piece. There's a high probability he does not survive, especially financially, the civil piece of this. So should give us all, you know, kind of pause to think about the actions that we choose to make and where we place our values as far as like what is most important to me. Okay is it exacting justice and ensuring somebody doesn't get away, or is it making sure i i can live see another day outside of jail with my family with my kids with my business with all the things i love and enjoy, uh my retirement my savings everything i've you know worked for in my life is it is like what is what matters most to me and i hope that that gives us all, the opportunity to just pause and think. Yeah. Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: Rough day. Rough three years and probably the next 10 and 20 years aren't going to be very pleasant either.
Riley Bowman: Yep. This is a guy that's already, you know, he's in his 60s. And so... Yeah, I mean, life is, it's hard to recover from such things when, you know, you're already in a later, later half of your life for sure. So anyway, well, there you go. That brings us to a conclusion of today's Justified Save stories. Thank you for being here and joining us for this. We remind you that today's episode is sponsored by CCW Safe, ccwsafe.com. And of course, CCW Safe is, I mean, it's a perfect place to, we just came, finished up on the heels of that story. Mr. Chow out of South Carolina, CCW Safe would be right there to defend you through the criminal trial as well as the civil one. And that would be good to have somebody like CCW Safe at your back, you know, taking care of things for you and advising you through the process. We want to make sure you make the right decisions before you get to that point. That's why we talked about that story, but also make sure you have something like CCW Safe backing you up. So check them out ccwsafe.com also today's episode is sponsored by hk so hk-usa.com thank you hk and ccwsafe for sponsoring this episode, jacob it's time to wrap it up thank you for being in here with me for this uh another fine episode of the concealed carry podcast.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah thanks for uh thanks for having me all good
Riley Bowman: Yep uh guys until next time keep making good prudent safe moral sane decisions, all that. And remember to train right, train often, and train safe so you can fight hard.
Jacob Paulsen: Fight fast, fight true.
Riley Bowman: Especially that last piece. All right, we'll see you guys. A reminder that laws vary from place to place, and we encourage listeners to seek local legal advice to understand applicable laws. Concealed Carry, Inc., its brands and properties, and the Concealed Carry podcast is not a legal service, nor are we attorneys at law. We make our best faith effort to share Concealed Carry-related insights and information about firearm-related incidents and the laws pertaining, based on our own understanding and experience. But things can be different where you live, or laws may have changed by the time you listen to this. We cannot be held liable for your actions based on the information shared in this podcast. Please exercise care with all things pertaining to firearm use, Concealed Carry, and always practice following basic firearm safety rules. More information about safety can be found at concealedcarry.com forward slash safety.