Riley Bowman: And welcome to the Concealed Carry Podcast, part of the ConcealedCarry.com network, brought to you by HK. Today is Thursday, May 7th, 2026, as of the live recording of this episode. I am your host, Riley Bowman, and I'm joined today by Jacob Paulson.
Jacob Paulsen: Howdy, howdy, howdy.
Riley Bowman: He is the man who likes to say howdy, howdy, howdy on the podcast.
Jacob Paulsen: It's true.
Riley Bowman: And sometimes on the phone.
Jacob Paulsen: Every time I say it, I picture that shark in Toy Story.
Riley Bowman: Howdy, howdy, howdy. Well, howdy, everybody. Glad to be with you for another episode. We've got, I think, an excellent topic planned for you today. We're going to be talking about carrying in your vehicle, what to do in your vehicle with your gun. All right. Best practices, biggest mistakes. We're going to break down all of it as best we can in roughly the next hour or a little less than an hour. So glad to be with you. We'll get into that topic momentarily. But first, we've got a couple of episode sponsors today we're going to talk about with you. First things first, we are talking about vehicles. Okay, so we've got the Vehicle Firearm Tactics course, a video course, online course at concealedcarry.com. We want to point you to. That's a great place to go for kind of your next steps, I guess, or at least some next info on stuff with firearms and vehicles and all that. But that's a little more tactics oriented. You can check it out at concealedcarry.com forward slash VFT. Vehicle firearm tactics concealed carry.com forward slash vft it's actually one of our oldest video courses that lives in the guardian university library filmed that in 2017 i think i think so early early 2017 yeah it's a long time ago now something that we uh hope to revisit at some point but uh you know we've had some trusted folks review that for us and and say it's still pretty good info so uh we keep uh pushing people to watch vehicle farm tactics hope you go check it out uh you can find it again at concealedcarry.com forward slash vft or if you just go to concealedcarry.com and go to guardian university you can find it listed in the courses there as well it's available for free or at least included in guardian nation membership where you can buy it a la carte that's the other way to go anything else you want to say about the vehicle firearm tactics course yeah
Jacob Paulsen: He should be a member of guardian nation so you can get access to it and all our other courses.
Riley Bowman: Absolutely And for our second, kind of a big, this is actually a new sponsorship we're introducing to you. Jacob, you want to take the lead on that? Sure. What do we got?
Jacob Paulsen: Vara Safety. Vera? Vara? I assume it's Vara. I guess I never asked.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, I probably should have asked before we went live.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah. So Vara, we're going to go Vara. Vara Safety. I don't know. I always read it. I never talk to them about it. But Vara Safety actually, this is really interesting. because I was actually a little bit hesitant about this product. Matthew Marrister reviewed the original VAR Safety Reach, which is kind of a handgun mounting system, many years ago. And I thought, oh, that's interesting, you know, kind of thing. But I've never touched it. And so then when we decided to kind of play with this and learn about it more, and we got it in, you and I spent, I don't know, probably an hour just fiddling with this thing. Yeah. And I was pleasantly surprised. I think, to understand VAR's approach, you have to understand this is not a gun safe. It's a firearm securing thing, but it's not a gun safe in the traditional sense. And it's all about, I think that the premise around this product is, Make the gun as accessible fast, like scream fast. Speed is like at the core fundamental of the belief of this product, but still make it secure. Like don't allow kids to walk in and pick it up and walk out with it. Don't allow the bad guy to grab it and yank it out of you, yank it out, but make it so that when you go to get the gun, it's like Speedy Gonzales speed fast. And so try to describe this for someone who can't see it or has never seen one before. Imagine it's like like a holster box thing that you mount against something like maybe against your bed or your nightstand your desk or whatever it is uh we'll talk about the vehicle more and once it's it's mounted the gun goes into it and it's it's locked in there and while the gun's in there it is it is very safe in fact that was one of the first things me and riley we looked at right it's like is this a situation where someone could stick a knife in here a pen in here and still get the gun to fire while it's in the thing the answer seems pretty clearly no like it's pretty they're they have these shells that are kind of gun specific anyway i'm getting maybe too detailed. But the the gun's locked in there but the grip of the gun is exposed so if you walked if i had this set up in my bedroom and you walked in and looked at it on my bed you'd be like oh like that's a gun like you can see the grip of the gun exposed and you can you can acquire your grip in your hand as you're going to unlock it and release it from the system. And it is a biometric system. So, you know, you're, you're, you're putting your thumb down as you're acquiring your grip on that gun. And it is as advertised speedy fast. It's just the gun and you can pull it out.
Riley Bowman: I mean, so the way I think of this is this is essentially a holster for your gun because, you know, it's customized holster type inserts that, you know, you need to order the one that's specific to your gun. So if it's a Glock or an HK or whatever, Smith & Wesson, you order the one for your gun. To be clear, unfortunately, there are some models that are, you know, some of your more obscure models are likely to not be supported. But I know that that's important for them to have as many as possible. And you'll see there's quite a list when you go to the website. But you choose the one for your gun. And to your point, we looked at that very closely. Hey, how securely does this fit the gun? Does it truly prevent access to the trigger? Which, of course, we know is the most critical component here as far as safety goes with that. And, yeah, we're very confident that it's safe, that it meets that standard of that. So anyway, you've got a holster that fits your gun that now it locks into with a biometric fingerprint scanner that you can program to just be you or any number of trusted individuals that could theoretically have access. And that scanner, by the way, reads your fingerprint. You don't have to push a button. This was really important to me, Jacob. We talked about this. That there's some biometric, actually virtually not all, but most of the biometric scanners I've seen on similar type products or pistol vault products require you to like push a button to essentially turn it on and start reading a fingerprint. And in this case, you just touch that little fingerprint pad and boom, 0.2 seconds is how quickly it registers and says yes or no and unlocks your gun. That's how fast. And so that was really important that, one, it is actually fast. Number two, that it's reliable, which we've tested in as long. I mean, it's pretty good. If you do your part and put your finger in the right place, it'll read your fingerprint. It's possible you don't quite get your thumb or whatever on there just right. But if you practice this, just like you practice grabbing your gun in your holster on your body, like that's, you know, part of training. You do it, you practice it, make it so that it happens consistently. It'll work for you. So holster, biometric, locks it in, releases it only when you need it to or want it to, and you can mount it to, like you said, your bed, the frame of your bed, your nightstand, or in your vehicle. There's a vehicle mount, which we're excited to get our hands on and play with as well, just to see how that works. And that's kind of the relevance to today's episode, as we talk about what do you do with your gun, carrying a gun, whatever, staging your gun in your vehicle. And I think we'll probably reference back to this Vara Safety Reach 2S, the name of the product.
Jacob Paulsen: I was just going to add a couple other little quick data points before we get off of it. The handgun one, the Reach 2S, it says it withstands 350 pounds of force. You and I didn't test it up to 350 pounds. But, I mean, you're not. Like, if you try to grab the gun and just yank it out, by manhandle, force it out, that's how much force it would require, 350 pounds. So that's pretty significant. Like, it feels pretty locked in there. And, you know, I wanted to add.
Riley Bowman: So if you can do a 450-pound deadlift, you should be able to.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, sure. For those of you who are listening who can do that. The other thing, of course, those people probably could also just peel open my gun safe. But you mentioned as long as you get your thumb in the right spot for the biometric. And we did a lot of testing with that. And there is some margin of error. It's a circle. And so I felt like if I got my thumb... And 70% over that circle, I could get it done. 50% starts to get like, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Less than half, I felt like that was the margin of like, nope, we're not reading enough of your finger. And we could not get a false negative. We tried opening it with a lot of fingers that are not the fingers we programmed, and we couldn't get it to open. So that's noteworthy too.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, that false positive thing, that is something that's been a huge problem with biometric readers on similar products in the past. And some that I, I mean, I've got one that at home that is just, it's probably at least once, if not two times out of 10, you know, it might be worse than that even like it is not one I rely upon for quick access to my gut. It just happens to be a convenient pistol vault, you know, that sometimes it needs to, you know, need to stash things in there. But yeah, this one, as long as you do your part, like I said, it is impressively reliable. Uh i don't have a percentage on that but it is highly reliable if you get your finger in the right spot uh which by the way is you naturally grab the gun your thumb ends up really i mean it's not in my ideal location but again with some practice and and you know doing that repetitively it is really close to where your thumb wants to end up as you're grabbing the gun so that's cool yep
Jacob Paulsen: Last comment uh we've been primarily talking about the reach 2s yeah but they also have a rifle thing called the r-a-c-t it stands for something i already forgot the racked it's it's an acronym though well.
Riley Bowman: I'll have it here for you in a second
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah i i remember that i know what i knew what it was and i already forgot but the uh the racked is cool too and it's you know kind of a wall mount similar concept you know and and they actually have that one available the digital keypad or a biometric the one we got for testing is biometric and just as you know effective just as quality just as durable you know all the things.
Riley Bowman: I did not come up with the answer on what racked stands for, but I'm going to guess like, I don't know, ready access something. Anyway, no, it's cool. It is super cool product. And to have a AR or a shotgun or a rifle mounted right there on the wall within arm's reach of, say, where you sleep or whatever at night. And that one, yeah, same thing. Works so fast. 0.2 seconds. You just touch the keypad or the fingerprint pad and it unlocks right away. I'm quite impressed with how that's designed. There's a lot of thought that's gone into it to make sure that it is, again, properly and securely protecting that firearm from access from people you don't want accessing it. Preventing it from being able to be taken because of the way it mounts to the wall. Preventing access to the trigger guard again. So all of that seems like a really well done product. It's actually sitting right over here. Just, you know, in the corner there of the room I'm in here. And it's a cool product.
Jacob Paulsen: And for those who are, you know, most of you are listening, not watching, but Riley did record kind of an unboxing video review that was really a nice walkthrough of this product. And that'll get published later today on the site. So you can watch for that.
Riley Bowman: Cool. Yeah. So where should people go if they want to learn more about Vara Safety's products?
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, you should go to Vara, V-A-R-A, VaraSafety.com, V-A-R-A-S-A-F-E-T-Y.com.
Riley Bowman: We appreciate them sponsoring this episode today of the concealed carry podcast and uh they would not be a sponsor if we did not get our hands on their products and come away thinking okay those are actually really good products if we didn't believe in them we would not be uh mentioning them on the podcast here today let's now talk about carrying in your vehicle jacob mistakes best practices uh we're i mean okay i'll set it up this way you and i i know are in agreement on this as a general practice the best way to carry a gun in your vehicle is on your person just like you do all the other times right 100 and so like that's that's where i would start with this is that like that's the optimal that's the ideal that's like that's what i do i mean i don't i just i've got a gun here in my holster on my waistband and you know whether i'm in the car out of the car, that's where it lives. That's where it lives all day long for the moment I get up and get dressed to them, you know, when I go to bed. So that's my approach. That's how I do it. But are there times and places where maybe there's other considerations or things that, you know, we need to do? I mean, just one simple example would be if you need to exit the vehicle to go into some kind of secure space, whether it's a federal building of some kind, and you're Like, let's say the post office, let's say, although that's kind of, you know, we've got a court case that's, you know, but anyway, you know what I mean? Like you go somewhere, you need to disarm yourself. I mean, the daily thing that I typically experience is having to pick up my kids or drop them off at school each day, right? And I don't have, you know, the authority, you know, unfortunately under the law to carry on school grounds. So I've got to, you know, remove my gun for me and secure it somehow. And so how would we go about doing that? out what are the best practices and what are the mistakes people make so there you go that's that's the setup yeah
Jacob Paulsen: I think that there are exceptions. You mentioned just needing a place to secure it in the car, and that's relevant. I know at least two people are listening to this, loyal listeners of our podcast, because they've emailed us in the past, who are long-haul truck drivers.
Riley Bowman: Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: And so I'm not a long-haul truck driver, never been one, never hung out with one, never been in the truck with one. But I guess the point I'm trying to make is that there could be situations or scenarios where there is some sensible like reality of it makes sense to have a kind of designated staging spot in the car for the gun like as a potential best practice. I think for the average person who's you know in the car for 10 minutes, 5 minutes, 30 minutes, an hour here there yeah I just leave it on me where it is and I you know that seems to be the viable option it works just fine, but I'm allowing that, you know. People who have different lifestyle, different situations, it might make sense to have a gun staged in a car. That's not the one that's on my body or that I'm, you know, potentially move from the body to that, that staging system. But I think we have to discuss that more. I think, you know, first, yes. Like I want to disclaim, like I, if you're telling me that your lifestyle is such that that's, that's important or makes more sense. It's cool. Like, I believe you. We're not here to argue that point, even though for me and Riley, we've just never gotten there. You know, I'm happy to take a 12-hour drive in a car and just keep my gun in my holster, in my pants, and I'm fine. But I get it. Teach their own. But there are some considerations that I think we have to talk about in that respect. And then I'm going to talk about the Philster video eventually here. But I think we have to consider the danger of administrative handling. So in an ideal world, if you have decided that you really do need to transfer a gun from on body to off body every time you get in out of a car, then the number one concern is going to be a safety concern of administrative handling. Like, are we removing an entire holster with gun in it? That would be safer. At least now we're not exposing the trigger guard. It continues to basically be a safe gun at that point. Or are we removing the gun from the holster and transferring it to a different holster? That's less ideal and certainly would require a higher level of caution and care. Many years ago, and I'll leave this story and then I'll send it back to you. But many years ago, you and I were invited to be on a radio show. And the host of that show off the air when we were not recording shared with you and I a story about how he had shot himself in his car during some administrative handling, put a bullet in himself. So, and we've also reviewed stories before where people have died while driving home from work because they did some administrative, well, presumably, I guess we didn't know, but we assumed they probably must've been doing some administrative handling with their gun and shot themselves. So it is a legitimate safety concern.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, for sure. I'm going to go back a little bit where you started. You mentioned having some listeners of the podcast who are employed in the trucking business. That's something I can speak to a little bit. Now, I have not been as my career or in any way, shape, or form a trucker, but my mother and stepdad both have been truck drivers for parts of their career or all or most of all their career at different times, including my mom and my stepdad team driving together for a portion of their career. I've spent time in SMI, you know, in the cab right there with my stepdad going down the road for hours and hours and hours at a time. And this is a long time ago. But so I understand the lifestyle. I understand the job probably, you know, differently than many people do. I can understand it. If your job is day in, day out to be seated driving, you know, you end up doing in the course of your career millions of miles, hours and hours and hours at a time, day in and day out, I can see where that starts to get a little bit, you know, of a pain point potentially. I'd like to still think that even if I was driving a truck today, I would still just do what I do. Carrying the appendix position right here in front of my waistband in a comfortable holster ksg armory holster of course uh that because you and i have shared a lot of time on the road driving in fact i remember you and i coming back i think it was from the pittsburgh show that was Was that carry guard or maybe it was a concealed carry expo. But anyway, one of those, and we drove back and we only stopped for a few hours to sleep in like Hayes, Kansas, but that whole trip all the way from Pittsburgh, all the way back here home to, you know, the Denver area, uh, I never once removed the holster from my body. And when we, when we slept for a few hours, we just leaned the chairs back in the car. Right. So like point is I ended up calculating that and we spent, I spent, you know, and then And I ended up carrying all that next day because we slept a few hours in the night, got up the next morning, drove the rest of the way home. I got home. I didn't take my pants off until the end of that day. So it was like 33 hours or something straight that I was carrying in the appendix position, in a seated position most of that time and was perfectly comfortable. So it can be done. But, again, I understand that, you know, if that's your profession and that's what you're doing day in, day out, you might want another option perhaps, right? So, anyway, I just wanted to share that little bit of context there from my point of view on that subject. Without getting into, because I know some of you are probably thinking, but what about these, you know, like legal specific ramifications of truck, you know, carrying a gun in a commercial vehicle, crossing state borders and so forth? We're not here to get into that today, just so it's clear. We are here to talk about how to carry a gun or stage a gun or have a gun at the ready in a vehicle. And to your other point, Jacob, of people making mistakes with administrative handling, that is, from a safety standpoint, the biggest problem. Because if you get in a vehicle, pull a gun out of a holster, stick it in some other thing in the vehicle, then have to take it back out and stick it back in your holster. there is There are ways to minimize risk, but it is dang near impossible to do that without some kind of risk. And it is really hard to reholster, whether you are in the appendix position or some other position on the waist. It's pretty dang near impossible to do that in a vehicle while seated without kind of, you know, muzzling part of yourself somewhere in some way. It could be done, I suppose, but it's very difficult to do. And I don't think that most people are going to actually go through the day-in, day-out rigors of unholstering, holstering, unholstering, holstering, you know, safely like that. So it creates a major safety challenge.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, I think that's fair. I think that the best way to mitigate risk is just leave it in the holster. You know, don't remove the gun, remove the gun in the holster, right? And that's that's the answer the legitimate consideration let's let's talk a little bit about carry positions and the role they play here not that long ago in the last you know something like 10 episodes ago or something we did an episode dedicated to carry positions so i don't want to rehash all that right but i do think that it has a role here in this conversation, and then i think we have to talk a little bit more about some tactics as it relates to guns and cars but, Up until now, I think we've made our position pretty freaking clear throughout the recent years of the podcast, and certainly in that most recent episode, that Riley and I, we carry in the appendix position. That's our go-to spot. And in the car is a place where that position really shines. I mean, really shines. It is one of those like, boom, like, look, here you go. Like, this is a perfect place for appendix carry because it takes nothing to get to the gun, right? I mean, assuming you're like sitting properly and you carry in a normal appendix position, the seat belt really shouldn't be an issue. The seat belt should be over where your belt of your pants would be. So that's not inhibiting the draw of the gun.
Riley Bowman: It should be below where the actual grip of the gun is.
Jacob Paulsen: Right, right. Yeah, correct. On like where your belt on your pants are, like where your belt loops is. Belt loops are, well, I'm struggling. So that should be a non-issue. You potentially, you know, we've kind of trapped a shirt, but, you know, grab the shirt and untuck it in advance, or in the moment you need to draw, grab that shirt and get it out of the way like you've been trained to do. So it's just a position that works really well for the car. We actually have a little mini course on the site called Vehicle Draw that just talks about this one thing, just how to draw the gun from different positions when you're in a car. And obviously that is great, but in other positions, it does get more challenging. So, you know, I know people who don't like appendix or can't carry appendix. That's a smaller group, but maybe some medical reason or other thing, you can't carry your gun in the front of your hip. That's cool. I get it. Or maybe you just, for whatever reason, just think it's terrible and awful and dangerous or whatever the thing is. You choose to carry it on the hip or around the hip. That does have an impact both on comfort in the vehicle and on speed and ability to access and deploy that gun safely. So I think that's a relevant thing here. that has to be discussed.
Riley Bowman: Absolutely. I wanted to mention something, you know, since we are talking about best practices and mistakes when carrying a vehicle, since you mentioned that your preferred method, my preferred method of carrying is in that appendix position, one very common mistake I see that is made or that is discussed, I've seen people Actually mention online, whether in a comment or even in a video, where they talk about how I get in, I'm carrying the penetics position, and I put my seatbelt on, and then I move the seatbelt over top and behind the gun. And that is not, I'll just call it out right now, that is one of the mistakes we're talking about in this episode here today, is that that is not a safe way of doing it because where is the seat belt supposed to be, especially, you know, the lower portion of the belt, the upper portion obviously is going up and across your shoulder, right? But the lower portion is intended to be right across your hips. Your pelvis is one of the largest structural parts of your body, right? And I mean, of course, yes, we can break the pelvis and all that, but I mean, what do you have below the pelvis? Your femurs. What do you have above your pelvis? Nothing. You know, you got a bunch of guts. Of course, you got your spine in the back, right? So, so you want that belt across that structure of your body, which is the pelvis, okay, your hips. If you move the belt up and over and behind the gun, right, what will happen is you get in an accident and that belt tightens down, it is going to not have anything really securing you in except your guts. And now you're going to probably end up with a bunch of internal injuries that you might not otherwise have because your belt is now squishing your guts, your lower abdomen, rather than the hips that it is designed for. And so, you know, some people have wondered, okay, but hey, when I have the belt over top of the gun, is that not going to squeeze the gun into the... My guts and cause problems that way. And that's a fair question and concern. However, there have been a number of people that have talked about this and have expressed, and including, I'm talking people that have experienced it firsthand as well as people have witnessed it, meaning they've been a responder, a first responder on the scene of accidents that have talked about when it's worn in the correct place is not likely to result in severe injuries to your internals by having that belt across your, your belt line, including on top of your gun and holster. I can also testify to that personally on now it wasn't the most severe of accidents, but I was in one that caused my belt, the tensioner, you know what I mean? Like when you have an accident and it's not just the belt holding you in place, but the actual tensioner where it goes and sucks in tight, Um, I've experienced that from being rear-ended and I was wearing my gun and holster and did not even think about or realize anything comfort wise, discomfort wise, anything like that. Didn't have any bruising or anything from my gun and holster caused by that tensioner going off, uh, in, in, in the vehicle, uh, from that accident. So just mentioning this because the proper procedure, and you can go see a great video that John Houtman at Philster did that talks about this very thing. And they actually test this. They test the proper placement of the belt. They test airbags going off, everything. You can find it on the Philster Holsters YouTube channel. It's a great video. So anyway, I wanted to make sure we got that out of the way. That is one of the mistakes that I want to make sure people avoid as far as carrying the gun and where it is and related to the belt, seat belt.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, I think John's video is great. He takes a very scientific approach. He measures the force of these things. And I'm glad that he did it so that I don't have to do it because it didn't look very fun to get punched in the face by an airbag on video. But good job.
Riley Bowman: And I'm glad he did too because not just because he is a practiced or experienced practitioner of carrying concealed, which he certainly is. And he's an instructor and everything too. But also because in his past career, he was a certified mechanic. And so you could speak to it from both sides, you know, of understanding mechanics and how the components of the vehicle work and also how that interfaces with you, the concealed carrier. So it's a great video.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, excellent. I think that, I guess I want to make sure I state, because I feel like you might have put, you might have let a little air out of my balloon. Sorry about that. So I'm trying to puff it up a little bit more before we get off this topic. Yeah. Just by reiterating that to each their own. Yeah. Like our task is to explain the potential concerns with choices that you make, but also understand that everybody has their own set of circumstances that have to guide your decisions. So if your decision is, no, I am going to transition from my body to some sort of in-vehicle system while I'm in the vehicle. Okay. Like we've talked about the safety concerns. There's some tactical concerns we might talk about as well. In the same line, your decision might be that, no, I'm going to have a gun on body, but I'm also secondarily going to have a gun stage in the vehicle okay like we have to talk about some things there too but it's it is there like there are reasons and situations where that those could be acceptable decisions but there are some incremental risks that you're taking on and we just need to mitigate the problems the you know the risks that come with those decisions yeah.
Riley Bowman: You have some people will talk about you know having a truck gun, you know, quote unquote, uh, or, you know, a gun in the, in the glove box, right. So to speak, uh, in fact, I have a family member, I don't know that they still do this and I haven't checked or bothered them in quite some time, but I remember discovering because, well, they asked me to get something for them out of their glove box or whatever, you know? And, uh, it's like, oh, there's a gun in here, you know? And that was just normal for them that, yeah, I, I always keep the gun in there. You know, like, uh, and, uh, you know, so, uh,
Jacob Paulsen: So that's, that's.
Riley Bowman: What are the problems with that? Like, I understand in some areas, particularly culturally, it's like, you got so many guns and guns are just a part of, you know, kind of a way of life. And it's sort of like, yeah, I've got one on the nightstand. I got one, you know, in the kitchen drawer. I've got one in my glove box. Like, why wouldn't I, you know, kind of thing. um and i understand you know people that kind of come from that sort of i guess lifestyle or cultural background uh but there is one of the risks since you're talking about risks is that that you know is not a secure gun um so we have potential problems as far as unauthorized access from within the vehicle by other occupants of the vehicle referring to children and you and i have covered stories of people you know getting out of their vehicle running into a store or into the bank or whatever, and their kids are in the vehicle. Now, you know, we're not here to debate leaving kids in or whatever of the vehicle, but, um, kids are in the vehicle and while mom or dad or whoever's in, you know, the store, uh, Kid gets into a gun that's underneath the seat. I know we covered one that was just left under the seat. That's a common, another common thing too, right? Uh, or, you know, mom left her purse in the car and they get into the purse and find the gun, or they get into the center console or the glove box or whatever and find a gun that way. So there's that problem. Then, of course, there's the theft problem, which guns are one of the most targeted things for theft in this country. And one of the most common ways that they are acquired is through vehicle theft or break-ins into vehicles. And I promise you, and I've been the victim of a vehicle break-in, unfortunately, that is one of the key things that every... Person that's committing those kinds of crimes is that like they are hoping oh man i hope there's a gun in this one you know like because there's there's so such value to obtaining a gun as you know through a theft like that because one nobody knows you have it i mean as long as the crime isn't traced to you like nobody knows you have that gun uh and i mean whether you intend to use that for crimes yourself that you intend to commit or street price like whatever that is but like that carries value. You can sell it to somebody else on the street and that's a very valuable thing on the street. So theft is a big, big, big issue here and is a major concern of ours because that has become, I'd say it's like an epidemic basically in this country. You see, especially in large cities, hundreds and hundreds, if not thousands of guns stolen from vehicles every year, even just in one little, you know, metropolitan area, thousands of guns.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, we don't have like a definitive study on this, but if you're willing to go through a patchwork of different research and try and kind of draw conclusions from it, it's pretty suggestive that the number one method to obtain a gun illegally in America is to steal it from a car.
Riley Bowman: Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: So that should be highly concerning for any of us. And so we're trying to mitigate risk. We mitigate risk by trying to make the car not be a targeted vehicle. I don't put an HK sticker in my truck window because I don't want people to think, oh, there could be a gun in there. We lock the car and secure the car. And then obviously, to the best of our ability, as Abel, we try not to leave unattended guns in the car. Again, understanding that there's exceptions and to each their own based on your circumstances and whatever. But I think we, again, have to understand what the risks are. this this vehicle car mount thing from var safety i think is quite interesting yeah because you know john's video going back to the video we mentioned from philster and maybe we'll put a link to it in the show notes but john's video before he discussed you know is are you going to get injured by the seat belt you know across the the you know with the holster in the iwb position before all that The first major portion of this video, he basically buys every traditional vehicle holster system and barrel blocks a bunch of guns, sticks guns in all of them, and then drives the car. I think he does like three or four tests to see what will withstand it. One is like a really bumpy road. He marks it up, up, up, up until I think the last one is like a rollover. He rolls the car. And long story short, everything he tested was a train wreck. Some of them failed like with very little effort, like they just, you know, it's just a joke, you know, the magnets of the world. Others took a little bit more to unseat them and cause them to, you know, come, come apart or to throw the gun or whatever the thing is. And this virus safety thing looks pretty viable because, you know, The mount, basically, you remove the bolts that are holding your seat down to the chassis, and you slide this mount in, and then you reapply the bolts, and that's what actually holds. It's not like you're mounting the Reach 2 thingy to plastic or under the dash or something. It's in this metal bar bracket thing.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, it's actually mounted to something structural in the vehicle. Well, John talked about that in the video, you know, talking about there's a couple of solutions out there to, you know, basically vehicle holsters. And one of them I know came as a kit. He described it as standard drywall screws or wood screws, which aren't even like the appropriate thing technically to screw into the plastic paneling in a vehicle. And he talked about a bunch of other concerns about, you know, mounting things to panels and vehicles that weren't designed for that purpose and how some of those panels might even be, you know, designed for things like, you know, airbags, part of the airbag system that might actually now, you know, turn that, the screws, the holster, the mount, everything into a projectile when, you know, that airbag goes off. And so anyway the you know so there's a And then, of course, there's a problem with that mount just being screwed with standard screws into a plastic trim of your vehicle, not actually withstanding the forces that it needs to withstand. So the VAR safety system, that's why this looks really interesting to us, particularly their car mount solution, is because it is an actual metal frame piece that is mounted to something structural, to the base of your seat. And then, of course, the Reach 2S is mounted to it. And that system is very robust. I mean, I've been very impressed with the overall design, the engineering, the structural integrity. Like you can just tell holding the reach to us that it's very, very strong, very well built and well designed. It's actually quite heavy. You know, you're not going to notice that because it's mounted to something in use. But it's actually pretty, even though it's only about the size of my two hands here, you know, it's chunky. It's robust. Chunky boy. So the vehicle mount, I'm excited to get our hands on that and kind of really, you know, see how that plays out.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, we have one on order.
Riley Bowman: Right, right. Now, you know, so there's, what I see here is kind of this sort of this divide, Jacob, where there are some people where it is their practice to carry a gun. Whether it's the one they have on their body and they administratively remove it and then put it in this other holster or staging device. In the vehicle, uh, just, you know, for access while in the vehicle or they are leaving their firearm in the vehicle. Cause they, they, they have to, for whatever reason, uh, All of the products that I know that John tested in his video, they were really more geared towards being like holster products, like ways to have your gun carried in vehicle when it's not on your body for defensive use. And so none of those would prevent your gun from being stolen from the vehicle. Right. So we need to recognize like a lot of the vehicle holster type products aren't intended, obviously, to prevent theft. And we understand that. But the interesting thing from his video is that a lot of those also just don't do a very good job of actually retaining the gun. In other words, just from some of the rough driving, you saw some of those products fail. The guns basically bounced out, came loose. And so that's no good. And then, of course, I don't think any of them succeeded once you started experiencing things like something that would be akin to an actual accident or certainly a rollover. And you need to understand... Vehicle accidents are incredibly violent. If you've never actually been in one yourself, they are incredibly violent. And things that were fixed no longer are fixed. They become airborne. Just from the one accident I was describing earlier, I found stuff that ended up in places underneath seats and in corners and in crevices that I, I mean, I couldn't even find my phone, right? My phone was like sitting in the cup holder when the accident happened. And I don't know where it went, right? It took me several minutes to find my phone so I could call 911, right? And that was quite telling to me. I was like, wow, that was eye-opening. But I have been on the scene of accidents and I have had friends and family have been in accidents to where you're going back to the scene of the accident to collect stuff or you're going to have the vehicle towed someplace and you're trying to get your belongings and things like I helped a friend do this. They were in a pretty bad accident and he needed help to go to where his vehicle was towed to and collect his things. And he was specifically trying to find, he was still trying to find his wife's phone. I think it was, he was trying to find, you know, a couple of important documents and different things. Right. And we dug and dug and dug all throughout that car, trying to find some of these things. And, and so you think your, your gun is going to stay put in a quote unquote car holster after, you know, any, honestly, any type of Accident a moderate accident like stuff does not stay put i would feel a lot more confident that your gun would stay put if it was in a var safety reach to us mounted to your the frame of your seat in your vehicle that that i could see actually um surviving something like that but all the other things i'm familiar with no way
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah yeah i think there's a couple other tactical factors we have to consider in this conversation we do i'm reminded of a conversation riley we interviewed a guy oh jeez this is hundreds of episodes ago yeah but he went out for a quick soda at the gas station and he brought his gun in his holster but left it in the console. And just because i'm just gonna run in and get a soda you know so and he was wearing gym shorts or sweats or something so he's like i had no way to really put this on me so i just left it in the console so he runs in but before he can even get in i think i think it's like as he's going through the door or even like on the sidewalk in front of the the stop and rob the the bg comes out the door with the checker the employee you know at gunpoint at knife point i think i think at gunpoint and telling her basically how he's going to bury her where no one will find her yep and there's kind of a moment of like, I see you, you see me, crap. And he has to basically fight his way back to his car to get his gun to end this threat. So that's the first place I'll start with some tactical considerations is... One of the concerns that we have is traditionally with the administrative shift of the gun from on-body to off-body in the car is the likelihood that you won't shift it back just for convenience sake when you're just stopping for something quick or you'll forget. I mean, maybe it's not even a conscious decision. You're just like, how many times in your life have you gotten out of that car and have not built the habit of rearm up? So that's, I think, a starting point.
Riley Bowman: Oh, for sure. Yeah, tactically speaking, I mean, just imagine – here's the thing. A lot of carjackings that occur or theft in general that happens on the roadside start out as accidents where the carjacker is in another stolen vehicle of some kind and bumps into you, crashes into you, whatever, because they're basically just car hopping. Like okay well this this one served its purpose it's time for the next vehicle kind of thing you know because i ran over three curbs with that one trying to escape the police whatever you know and so now they've bumped into you you're like oh it's a fender bender you pull over you know and you're just you're caught unawares or you're just not thinking about it uh you're or you don't think it's a possibility whatever it is yeah you're so fender bender okay you pull over you get out your vehicle next thing you know you're face to face with a gun you know point being is that Because in the moment, everything happens so fast, and your brain, I promise you, is going to shortcut everything it can. When crap hits the fan, the way our brains work is to basically eliminate everything else that's considered to be extraneous noise that's unnecessary to my survival in the moment. And so you're not thinking about grabbing your gun in the center console or in the cup holder even or whatever. You know when you are hyped up in the moment with adrenaline because dog got it my brand new 2026 whatever fancy in this awesome car just got crashed into by this kid you know because the kid's probably 14 years old and he's carjacking because that's what we're seeing a lot more of right and so you're you're getting out and next thing you know you now maybe need to defend yourself but you left your gun back there in the cup holder and now the problem is too Now they're stealing your car and your gun. So anyway, all kinds of problems abound with the tactical problem of having your gun being staged in the vehicle and not on your person.
Jacob Paulsen: One concern that I think can be managed pretty easily, but it's something to have on the radar, is just that if someone can look into your vehicle and see the gun, right, because it's in that holster that's tucked under the dash or it's shoved in, your holster is shoved in between the seat and the console and that's your game plan. Just walking by with the flashlight or just looking like, is there anything in this car that's clearly worth breaking bust in this window that would be less than desirable i think it's easily addressed you know regardless of what you might be using if i was using the var safety thing i would i could chuck something over it i mean it doesn't sit like super visible it's it sits below the height of the seat but it's potentially visible i suppose especially in like a low like uh sedan or something so you could put something over it yeah but that would be another thought just.
Riley Bowman: Having like a black towel or something
Jacob Paulsen: Sure sure black or gray yeah yeah.
Riley Bowman: Hoodie whatever yeah
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah so So just so we don't invite someone to come see if they can yank this thing out. So I think that's another consideration that we have to have. Again, knowing what your situation is, who you are, what your lifestyle is. Make your own decisions, but understand that there's some inherent risk in administrative handling in terms of safety. There's some inherent risk in not having the gun on you when you potentially leave the car and leave the gun behind. There's some inherent risk in the majority of car holster systems that we've seen fail over and over again and that John so aptly demonstrated in his video. And there's some inherent risk in your car being targeted for theft if they can see something visibly through the window. So, and those are some concerns. There's also a potential legal issue depending on the state you're in.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. Well, I mean, you and I are in a state now where the law, I mean, and I know there's going to be, most of our listeners are going to be like, this is the biggest bullcrap thing ever, right? But it is the law. And there's a few other states that have similar laws as well. But, you know, if I need to exit my vehicle and leave my gun in the vehicle, then the gun by law is required to be secured, right, inaccessible and not visible,
Jacob Paulsen: Right? Yeah. That's pretty standard in the, call it less than 10 states that have some sort of vehicle secure storage law. And we're seeing that more and more. Yeah. Virginia just passed one. so the kind of the standard flavor of this is you know secured in a hard-sided container and not visible from the outside of the vehicle so those tend to be the things that are required so. Those are easily achieved. And again, to reiterate something you said at the beginning, I have to leave a gun in my car on occasion, like all of us do. So this isn't just a you're good or bad or me and Riley's kind of higher level opinion about what's the best practice here. There's also just an outright practical reality, which is that all of us at some points have to leave our guns in our cars. And so the law is dictating in the states which is a very small number of states that have a law like this but it's dictating what i think are the best practices that doesn't mean i support the law i don't want the law the law can shove it like i don't it's no good for me but it is kind of regulating what inherently we generally think of as the best practices which is that you secure this gun in some sort of hard-sided lock container that's not visible from the outside i'll go one step further, that the hard-sided or locked container itself is secured to the car. So it doesn't do you any good if someone can break open the car and take the lockbox with the gun and walk out with it. So those tend to be the things that we see in the laws in the handful of states that have one like addressing this.
Riley Bowman: And I know you and I both for a long time talk about best practices have had like a small pistol vault in the vehicle that is at the very least cabled or locked to a frame or whatever of a seat or something in the vehicle. This is what I've done for years, where it's going to leave the gun in the vehicle. So pull that, just slide that. It's just underneath back seat. Slide out that little pistol vault, open it up, remove my gun holster, stick it in there, close it up, stick it back under the seat. You know it's simple yeah and it works i mean it's not my favorite most favorite thing ever i mean what obviously i would prefer is just to leave the gun on me uh but uh you know there's times where it's got to happen and that's that's that's what happens and um you know fortunately we're all we're you know we're seeing more and more options for this kind of thing uh and so i like options yeah
Jacob Paulsen: Absolutely another circumstance we didn't mention here that's also highly valid is that you might be traveling through a state where you just lose that option, right? So I'd call that less common probably, but yeah, certainly there are states where I, as a Colorado resident with a Colorado self-carry permit, am not going to be able to continue to have my gun on me in my pants while I'm traveling through that given state. So those would be another potential circumstance where I need to sit to your place to lock it in the car.
Riley Bowman: Yep, yep. Yes, 100%. If you live in Vermont and you need to drive down to, you know, Pennsylvania or Virginia, you know, like, yeah, you're at the very least you're going to be passing through New York at some point. Right. So what are you going to do there? Right. And as a Vermont resident, you almost certainly don't have privileges to carry a gun concealed or open or otherwise while you're traversing the mighty state of New York anyway.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah. Well said.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. Anything else that we've missed here as part of this discussion here today?
Jacob Paulsen: I don't think so. I mean, I think the points I wanted to make sure that we hit in summary would be, first and foremost, that we have to be considerate of the strategy of gun on body or gun off body. And in the cases that we go off body, we have potential risk in the administrative handling thereof. And we can minimize some of that in the ways we discussed. Second, some carry positions are probably more advantageous than others. And the carry position that you choose or that you kind of are forced to choose based on any number of potential circumstances may drive some of your other decisions relative to what makes sense for you in a vehicle. Third, that another potential risk is the tactical one, which is the risk of leaving the gun in the car when it should be leaving the car with you. That also that vehicle theft is, you know, excuse me, firearm theft from a vehicle is a very serious concern. And so the permanent, you know, leaving of a gun in a car is not ideal unless it's truly secured and not visible. We talked about some of the legal issues in some states now that have secure storage laws relating to a vehicle. And we talked about, you know, I'll call it, you know, the just outright lifestyle reality that all of us at some point or another are going to have to secure our guns in a car and need a viable method to do that.
Riley Bowman: Perfect. I think that's a perfect summary of today's episode. I appreciate your time here with me discussing these things. Speaking of viable methods, wrapping it up here, sponsors of today's episode, we've talked about it a couple of times now, Vara Safety, varasafety.com. Specifically in the vehicle context, that reach to us, I think is a very viable option for securing a firearm in your vehicle or having some kind of quick access method. If you, for whatever reason, do not want to have it on your body, on your person while securing a firearm, While traveling in your vehicle, there's so many options you and I both, Jacob, have looked at over the years. We've had people send us products to review and we're like, eh, you know, or offer to send us a product and we're like, eh, don't bother, you know, because we just know it's not going to fit the ethos, if you will, and, you know, best practices of vehicle carrying and storage and staging of a firearm. But the Reach 2S is an awesome product. We're very, very impressed with it. And something that's worth noting here is it is a rechargeable battery. It's 10 plus month rechargeable battery, which I remember when we filmed the video introducing it, I wasn't sure on how long that would last, but apparently it would last a good while. And also it's good to note that it's a California DOJ certified product. I know California is not a very popular state in our community, but that may be relevant for some of you to know that it is a DOJ certified product for securing of your firearm.
Jacob Paulsen: So that's a minimum standard that any gun secure thing should have. California is the only existing like testing protocol for gun storage and gun safety solutions like this. And so without that, it would be like, so you had like no third party test your product.
Riley Bowman: So anyway, yeah, another context there. It's not like it's not a crazy, ridiculous, you know, high standard per se, but it is a standard and it is particularly applicable for those that live in California and need a legally compliant storage solution. But anyway, let's check out the Reach 2S and the rifle or shotgun oriented racked product at varasafety.com. In today's episode other sponsor was the vehicle firearm tactics course from us here at concealed carry.com you can view it in guardian university go to concealed carry.com forward slash videos if you want to go straight to just seeing where that is in guardian university um or you can go to another short link would be to get directly to that course especially if you want to buy it go to concealed carry.com forward slash vft that's our sponsors today that's all we got jacob i'll do well until next time a reminder to train right train often and train safe so you can
Jacob Paulsen: Fight hard fight fast and fight true take care.
Riley Bowman: There you have it we'll see you guys A reminder that laws vary from place to place, and we encourage listeners to seek local legal advice to understand applicable laws. Concealed Carry, Inc., its brands and properties, and the Concealed Carry podcast is not a legal service, nor are we attorneys at law. We make our best faith effort to share Concealed Carry-related insights and information about firearm-related incidents and the laws pertaining, based on our own understanding and experience. But things can be different where you live, or laws may have changed by the time you listen to this. We cannot be held liable for your actions based on the information shared in this podcast. Please exercise care with all things pertaining to firearm use, Concealed Carry, and always practice following basic firearm safety rules. More information about safety can be found at concealedcarry.com forward slash safety.