Riley Bowman: And welcome to the Concealed Carry Podcast, part of the ConcealedCarry.com network, brought to you by HK. Today is Friday, April 10th, 2026, as of the recording of this episode. I am your host, Riley Bowman, and I'm joined today by this gentleman right here to my right.
Jacob Paulsen: Co-host, Jacob Paulson.
Riley Bowman: That dude. Yeah. That guy. Hey, by the way, folks, those of you joining us live, I appreciate you being here with us because today, and those of you who are not joining live, you'll probably recall this, but today, the Artemis II mission, the Orion capsule, lands in the ocean in like, I don't know, know an hour or two so that's kind of cool.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah that sounds cool jake
Riley Bowman: Is like i had no idea.
Jacob Paulsen: Didn't know didn't care i'm just being transparent here i can only have bandwidth for limited things and that we we sent some people up to replicate what was done 50 years ago i just did it's not capturing my imagination i'm sorry i
Riley Bowman: Well i mean i i think it's interesting i think it's of note I think it's a bit of interesting good news of sorts. I mean, some people could debate how beneficial or whatever it is. But I think it's good news in a day when there's a lot of not so good news. So I think it's cool.
Jacob Paulsen: It's good that these gentlemen are still alive. Yeah. It's good. I think I'd rather actually see my tax dollars spent on colonizing the moon than most other things my tax dollars are spent on. So there's that.
Riley Bowman: Yeah so sorry sorry.
Jacob Paulsen: For any negativity that was not my
Riley Bowman: Intent no i mean it's just like whatever i i think it's cool so hey we sent dudes and one dudette around the uh the moon uh for the first time like you said you know what.
Jacob Paulsen: When nasa starts buying ksg holsters and barrel blocks i'll care a lot
Riley Bowman: Well we might need to make something to fit a space blaster.
Jacob Paulsen: There's no Space Blasters yet, right?
Riley Bowman: We don't know that for sure.
Jacob Paulsen: Jeez. How do you dry fire a Space Blaster?
Riley Bowman: There's a dry fire mode. Just switch, man. Just like, you know. Anyway. Okay. Well, anyway, thanks for being with us because I know probably a number of people might be distracted by other, you know, video feeds and TV episodes or whatever going on that's covering that. So thanks for being with us. Today, we're getting into Stand Your Ground. Several, several, several hundred episodes ago. One of the earlier episodes we ever did was about this specific topic. It was just called, I think, Stand Your Ground or something to that effect. And we're revisiting that today. Now, we talk about Stand Your Ground issues all the time, you know, in passing, if you will, or as part of an analysis of Justified Save stories, right? Sure, I suppose. Like that comes up regularly on the podcast. And so for three years, I mean, that's kind of our regular opportunity to, hey, you know, in this story out of Kentucky, this gentleman, you know, didn't abide by, you know.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, I mean, it comes up less than other self-defense legal doctrines. Sure. In my opinion. Like, despite being kind of one of the more spoken to or about, has the most cool, like, sayings and cliche terms, but it's less applicable. Generally speaking, than other self-defense.
Riley Bowman: Right, because it doesn't come into play as often as what you might think. But yet, here's the converse of that, kind of sort of an interesting contrast to what you just said, is that one of the most common comments I see on our social media posts about some defensive shooting somewhere or whatever is, Stand your ground!
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, no, it's a misunderstood thing, right? That's why this topic is important, even if it's not applied as often as we think. Because people don't understand. I think in general, American gun owners and concealed carriers don't understand it. They misapply it. We've seen some countless number of news stories misuse the Stand Your Ground legal doctrine or concept. We've seen judges misuse it in trials and then have those decisions be overturned because of it. So, yeah, it is definitely a screwed up thing.
Riley Bowman: Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: Commonly messed up.
Riley Bowman: Well, that's the point of today's episode is to help our listeners and viewers understand what Stand Your Ground actually is a bit better. So we're taking this opportunity to go back since the original Stand Your Ground episode that we did has fallen off the current podcast feed quite some time ago. We're taking this opportunity to revisit that in depth, talk about what it is, what it means, and give you some also examples of what it is, what it isn't. And when it has worked or when people have abided by the principles of Stand Your Ground versus not and the trouble that can lead to. And there's one particular case that is not that old of a case either that I think is probably worth getting into today. I think it's one of the better examples of this because it was plastered all around social media and the mainstream news cycle about Stand Your Ground, Stand Your Ground, Stand Your Ground. And, well, we'll get into that. So that's going to be your little tease. You got to stick around and see what it is exactly, what story we're going to talk about to cover that. Today's episode, though, is sponsored, brought to you by Guardian Nation. So guardian nation is uh well one of the best communities out there period for like-minded folks such as yourselves that want to know and understand and train and learn about self-defense and shooting and the law and all these kinds of things because well besides of our our annual, guardian conference that we put on in september we also have a lot of video content in the guardian University Library that Guardian Nation members get full and complete access to that this is where you're going to get a lot of that content in addition to the podcast and stuff but like one really great and this is it's the first thing we ever filmed as a video course and it's you know a decade old now at this point. But it's still good content. And I think we do a great job with the attorney, Doug Richards, in there talking about Stand Your Ground. And that is the American Gun Law video course. So that's in the Guardian University Library.
Jacob Paulsen: Yes.
Riley Bowman: So that's one thing that you could go and review if you haven't done that before. Of course, you can buy all of our video courses a la carte. But the best thing is to just join Guardian Nation. So you get full access to all the training content, our live events like Guardian Conference and access to our community of serious, like-minded self-defenders all throughout, you could say the world, but mostly obviously in the U.S.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, yeah. I don't even know if you can join if you're not in the U.S. Anyway, it doesn't matter. I was just going to add that recently I've added a lot of new videos to the members of the area. So if you're listening to this and you are a Guardian issue member, you might want to go log in and you click on Guardian University or in the main menu, You can just click on, it says like read, watch, listen. You can click on watch and then all videos. And there's a kind of a carousel there of just member-only videos. And that's probably the fastest way to get to that content. But some really, you know, 8 to 15-minute length training videos from recent events and conferences from last year. And there's one in there I uploaded recently from Daryl Bulkey, another one from Brian Eastridge, or excuse me, Wayne Dobbs I'm thinking of more recently. There's one from Daryl Bulkey. That's some time ago. And then Brian Eastridge this week as well. I'm getting ready to add one from Justin Dial. So the point is we're always adding kind of these one-off videos as well, above and beyond the full-length video courses.
Riley Bowman: Hey, you know, there's one other thing, too, I think we ought to talk about right now. And I'm going to use this opportunity before we get to our other sponsor message to go into our new segment that has no name. What's that?
Jacob Paulsen: The no name segment.
Riley Bowman: The no name segment now. Yeah. Of, you know, what's new? What's going on? What's the latest from us here at concealedcarry.com? And so let's jump into that real quick. And what it was is I thought it'd be good for us to, since we're talking about Guardian Nation, and you get access to a dashboard with, you know, all these resources available to you, including product discounts from industry partners of ours. And, of course, you know, being able to get to the video content for the entire training library. But, Jacob, we just, I say we, but really you, just did a bunch of work this week to make that member's dashboard a lot better, a lot cleaner, and easier to use.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, and I'm not done. But yeah, when you go to consolecare.com, up at the top corner it says user dashboard slash login. You click on that. It logs you in. The URL is consolecare.com forward slash my dash account. And that dashboard, that first page you see when you land there is way better. It's just a massive improvement. It's so much easier for you to see at a glance if you have any store credit, Guardian Gold, courses that you have in progress that you haven't finished. You can see recent orders and their status. We've also done a little bit of upgrading to a tool that I don't know if we've ever mentioned on this podcast ever, but we've had it since like 2015. And that is that on our site, you can track your concealed carry permits and their expiration dates. I have multiple permits. Most of you listed this probably only have one. But on that user dashboard, you can click on my permits, and you can put in what's your resident state and the expiration date on your permit. And it's not our intent to invade your privacy. This is optional. You don't have to do it. But if you do, then you'll receive an e-mail from us at 120 days prior to the expiration date and at 60 days prior to that expiration date to just give you a reminder to renew your permit. And some of you live in states where the government might actually remind you. Me and Riley live in a state where you get no reminder at all. It's completely on your own and so getting an email from us might be useful
Riley Bowman: Yeah so really cool uh new update to that dashboard yep yeah so and it really that dashboard's improved not just for guardian nation members but you know right everybody has access to that dashboard yeah yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: But we're gonna make some other improvements along those lines here yeah
Riley Bowman: Super cool so that's probably the latest greatest uh news from us here until carry.com uh those that are guardian nation members uh happy to report that your most recent guardian nation box of gear is uh in the process of being boxed up right now as we speak we.
Jacob Paulsen: Have a couple hundred of them i think exactly 200 done today
Riley Bowman: And uh yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: It's it's a whole project but it's
Riley Bowman: Coming yeah so a couple more days and we'll get the rest of those all boxed up and and shipped out to you members so uh be looking for those in your mailboxes right quick very very very soon yep so very excited about that let's get back to sponsor messages so by the way if i didn't mention the link but in case you don't know of course you can always go to concealed carry.com and find this information but you can also go directly to guardian nation.com to learn more about what guardian nation is why you might want to join and also be able to join right there from that page, Our other episode sponsor is CCW Safe. So we're going to be talking about a major legal doctrine today, Stand Your Ground. And, I mean, we're talking about legal things. People get in trouble. And sometimes not necessarily in trouble because they did something wrong. That's the way it goes frequently with self-defense shootings. And I would say particularly those that take place outside of the home, which is really where Stand Your Ground most often gets applied when it does get applied. right.
Jacob Paulsen: It's always the only place it gets
Riley Bowman: Played well yeah I mean yeah I guess there's a case that you could you could make about, inside the home also being, well, when we get into talking about Stand Your Ground, this all makes sense. But anyway, CCW Safe, you're going to want good, solid legal defense coverage. I mean, what are you going to do about all those legal costs? How are you going to hire an attorney? You know, where's that going to come from? I don't know if you got just a reserve cash fund sitting there ready for that kind of thing. I hope you do. But even then, there are some of these cases, including some that we might even talk about today, where you would exhaust, unless you're very, very wealthy, you would exhaust your savings. You would exhaust your investment accounts. You would just blow through money trying to defend yourself. And so that's why you want a good legal team. And I mean a team, not just an attorney. And yes, attorneys put together teams. But really the best thing I think about CCW Safe, Jacob, is that they really, they pride themselves on creating their own legal team. They are really there as a resource to whichever attorney or attorney's office gets hired to take on your case.
Jacob Paulsen: Yes, that's what I'll just say.
Riley Bowman: And they are right there with multiple experts, including people who have been through shootings themselves, People have defended cases directly, including some very high profile ones that are essentially consultants and expert, well, yeah, not witnesses, but what's the term?
Jacob Paulsen: Well, they have two consultants, but they also do have expert witnesses for various topics.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, sure. Expert witnesses. I was just thinking like just experts. I mean, that are able to be a resource to your legal team. So they become a part of that team that's going to work with good defense.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, so they call it the critical response team. Exactly. Yeah, on that team, there are former prosecutors, former homicide investigators, detectives. Yeah. I mean, all types. And it's full court press for them.
Riley Bowman: So it is a huge benefit, I think, of membership is that this team stands behind you when you are a CCWSAFE member. So consider joining today. I hope that this episode today will encourage you to do so if you haven't already. So go to CCWSAFE.com to learn more about their coverage plans. And just a little note that Guardian Nation members get a discount.
Jacob Paulsen: Yes, sir.
Riley Bowman: So that's one of those discounts that we mentioned earlier. Let's jump into it. All right, Jacob, stand your ground. And again, we kind of in the intro talked about how it is, stand your ground becomes, is a legal doctrine that's used far less than people probably expect. It exists. It's an important thing. I think it's good that we have, not every state, by the way, is a stand your ground state. That should be clear. And that's something we can, we could start, you know, here pretty early on in explaining. But it exists, and I think it exists for a good purpose. But it doesn't come into play as often as people think, and there's reasons for that. So where should we start? Defining it? Talking about states that are or are not stand-your-ground states? Or where do you want to go?
Jacob Paulsen: So I think we need to address it or kind of put it in a reference and context, and then we can define it. But stand-your-ground is a reference to the opposite. it. It is the antonym to duty to retreat. So I think that's where we have to start is understanding duty to retreat versus stand your ground. And these terms have become popularized because this happens to be a self-defense requirement, here's the context, that is not universally true across the entire country. And so because of that, we've come up with these terms that we use to describe states that are or are not this way or that way. So I'm going to take it up a level now then I'll come back down. In order for you to claim self-defense, it is a method to justify an otherwise illegal act, right? So if you use force against somebody, you punch someone, you put them in a chokehold, you shoot them, stab them, tie them to a chair. Like if you use some sort of use of force against another human, that's a criminal act. Like we don't like that, we decided in our society. But there are some circumstances that we deem to be exceptions where it's justified. It's a justified use of force, which is how many statutes in a lot of states label this, a justified force. So one of those exceptions, one of the situations where we deem use of force against another person to be justified is self-defense. Oh, you had to do it to defend yourself or another innocent party. But we can't just take you at your word. You can't just say, well, it was self-defense. There's got to be some objective criteria we use to decide if something was self-defense. And so there's these requirements or elements, whatever term you prefer. And this particular one, this idea of duty to retreat, is one of those requirements in some states. So I think that's the high-level context that allows us to get to it and then define it or flush it out.
Riley Bowman: That's good context. So just to kind of recap that there are certain states where before you may use justifiable defense, particularly deadly force, you know, defensive force, you need to meet the standard of retreating.
Jacob Paulsen: Yes.
Riley Bowman: Or at least making the effort to retreat.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah. When safely able is the way I like to phrase this. So I would think of it this way. Like our self-defense laws in this country are based on English common law.
Riley Bowman: Yep.
Jacob Paulsen: Right? So if you go way.
Riley Bowman: We're talking about stuff that goes way back to like Magna Carta.
Jacob Paulsen: Think like castles and moats and stuff, right? Yep. So I think the origin, like if you really went back and looked at English common law, the origin of this idea was, hey, you should, you know, before we start to think it's justified to use force against people, you should just run away. And only when you hit the wall, the outer wall, When you can't get away because you're up against the wall of the castle kind of thing, of the whatever thing it's called, the block, the veil, the thing, then you – now you can use force. And so that's the origin. That's the real classic way of thinking of it. Now, bring it down here a little bit more central to us, and you've got to think, okay, so the concept here as a doctrine is that you should not be using force against somebody if you could just safely retreat. If you have the means and the ability to just retreat from the threat safely, then you shouldn't be using force to defend yourself. You should just be leaving. Now, there's some nuance there because – I'm careful about some of the ways I've tried to word these things. So I like to say retreat when safely able so I don't have to put myself in jeopardy in order to retreat from the threat, right? I also think it's important to note that you don't have to abandon other innocent people,
Riley Bowman: Right?
Jacob Paulsen: So it's not like, oh, I got my elderly parents here or my children here, and I can safely retreat because I'm capable of running fast enough, but they can't, so I just have to leave them at the mercy of the attacker. That's not a thing either. The doctrine of duty to retreat or stand your ground, whichever side of this we're looking at, is this idea that if me and the other innocent parties collectively can safely retreat from the attacker, then that's the course of action that is warranted. That we only have a right to use force in our defense if we're unable to safely retreat as a group, as innocent parties.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. And you could see this be applied. Like there's some nuance to how it may be written in laws in various states to where it could be applied at sort of different levels of, not detail or aggressiveness, but just sort of like, how much effort do you need to go through to retreat and to avoid the use of force before you're able to do so?
Jacob Paulsen: Well, it's the nature of our legal system is that we have objective criteria that is determined subjectively.
Riley Bowman: Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: Right? So we have humans who decide whether or not you know, you could have run away. We have humans who decide whether or not that alternative exit that you didn't take was really put yourself in more jeopardy or not. This is the nature of our legal system, that a judge and or a jury has to make a subjective decision based on an objective definition.
Riley Bowman: And I think that over time, what you've seen is that people, and I'm just speaking pretty broadly and generally here, have, I think this is a very reasonable take that people kind of as they reasoned about these sorts of things kind of start, you know, thinking like, well, hey, if I'm lawfully and legally able to be present in a certain place at a certain time, I'm just minding my own business. I am not a party to anything in particular. I'm not an aggressor. I'm not trying to instigate anything. I'm just me doing my thing completely legally, like any other lawful citizen would be doing in this place at this given time. That it's sort of like, well, that seems kind of unreasonable that someone that fits that context should have to do anything if they're presented with a threat. And so you've seen this kind of pushback over the last couple hundred years, at least of the history of our country, kind of suggesting, well, hold on here. And so actually... Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, in a Supreme Court opinion, wrote something to the effect of that a person is not obliged to retreat if they are without fault in a particular situation. And so that's where you start to see some of this a little bit more codified, if you will, in the law or at least in rulings and in cases that at least the Supreme Court has been involved in. And then now, you know, in the last hundred years, particularly in the last probably 50, 60, 70 years, you start to see states get on board with this idea of, okay, we think it's unfair and unreasonable that a lawful person should have to retreat before defending themselves. And I think there's some good reasons for that. Let me present, you know, probably the most popular thought I think on this would be that, well, hey, and I would put this in the, you know, to kind of draw some comparison here that the last few years we, in country, in our country goes through cycles like this. But we've seen in the last couple of years as law enforcement had, there's been, you know, some high profile incidents involving cops where, you know, shootings have happened, whatever. And um you know just as one very popular example i mean like the uh uh uh brown what was his first name um out of like i think it was st louis or kansas yeah i'm sorry anyway um yeah brown right um you know very it was a very very very heated cop shooting involving uh anyway just having a moment, a moment, a senior moment here. I'm going to claim that I'm not a senior yet, but, you know, I'm getting closer all the time, but anyway, so, you know, you have cops that were the, the, the popular Michael Brown, Michael Brown. Thank you. That's funny because I was, uh radio show host named michael brown i'm like that's not right is it no it is that's yeah and.
Jacob Paulsen: If you said if you'd said ferguson missouri i think i might have caught on
Riley Bowman: Faster ferguson's like a suburb of st louis yeah yeah yeah that's why i was like anyway st louis anyway we both struggled yeah michael brown right okay so i'm just using as one very very popular example where an office you know that officer used uh the force that he did and that caught a lot of heat a lot of attention and start seeing public opinion sway and then you see more and more you know uh whether it's actual statutes that are passed by states or just police departments in general start changing policy and basically start kind of handcuffing in a way officers ability to respond to threat. You start seeing like just last week, Jacob, I've seen a couple of officer involved shooting body cam footages where I'm like, why is that officer showing so much restraint? I mean, I'll give you one example. Man's very, very clearly got a knife. He's advancing on a fellow officer. And this cop that we're, you know, from his viewpoint that we're watching, I mean, he's not the immediate, like, a target of this threat. But he's got a very good vantage point. He's got his gun out. He's aimed. And that guy starts advancing on this other officer. And, I mean, there's just an immense amount of restraint. That and I understand like we have the ability as humans frankly to just be like you know what what I feel okay with in this moment is I don't want to have to take this man's life I would really like to resolve this without the use of deadly force I'm gonna do everything I can to avoid that and I understand that and that's kind of what we're talking about here with duty retreat is like trying to avoid conflict. But you see things kind of sway politically and even legally to where it becomes, for various reasons, because other officers have been prosecuted for bad shoots, and now you see cops start to be a lot more hesitant to use deadly force. Now, I know I just went down this rabbit hole, but I'm trying to make this comparison, if you will, to when you have a duty to retreat in place for citizens, you're giving them this additional requirement to an already complicated and complex situation in many cases where it's like, you know, does somebody then hesitate to act that could be harmful to them? Because they're like, oh, crap, I got to retreat. I got to retreat. And so what do you think about that?
Jacob Paulsen: I think that a lot of the court cases and laws we've seen, and we're going to get into that a little bit more specifically, I think that a lot of them are designed to reduce the fallacy of arbitrary subjective opinions. And we were talking about that a second ago when I said, you're talking about a judge or a jury or before that, a cop, a prosecutor, right? Them on their own deciding whether or not you did or didn't have a safe means of retreat or was or wasn't prudent to do so. And I think that, yeah, at some point someone's like, wait a minute, like why? This is crazy. Yeah. Right? Like why? I mean, let's accept. I will accept for me personally on face value that it is good tactics to retreat when safely able with all the other innocent parties. Like I'm all for that as a best practice. But I absolutely don't want to have the legal requirement to do it because I want to be able to exercise my own judgment and what qualifies as safe retreat. You know? And so that's, that's really, I think the, the gist of this, I'll, I'll give one other thought here. And that is, um, innocent parties starts to get complicated too uh so so you know if there's an active shooting in the mall like maybe i can retreat for me but i i don't have to you know do i have to abandon all these other innocent people in the mall or can i go hunting right so i think that those are other things we have to think about right when we talk about
Riley Bowman: Like you make the decision in that kind of situation this is like a mass shooting of some kind to instead of just being focused on even defending yourself you're like there is somebody out there actively killing people and for whatever reason I've made the decision that I'm going to try to put an end to.
Jacob Paulsen: It. I think I should have the right to make that decision.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. And duty to treat would put that into question for sure.
Jacob Paulsen: Potential question. I think potential question. And I think that's the point is it's like we can't write laws in a way that remove the potential for ambiguity when human opinions are judging until the point where we just remove that as a requirement at all. And that's what most states have done. So if we look at it at a number line, of the 51 states, including DC, 39 of them are Stand Your Ground. And by Stand Your Ground, I simply mean that there is the absence of a requirement to retreat. So we have 39 states that said no duty retreat, and we tend to use the term Stand Your Ground to refer to that. And then we have the other, whatever it would be, 12 states that say, no, you do have a duty retreat some of the time. And we'll get into more specificity on that, certainly. But that's kind of the split here. And I think it's worth understanding a little bit what that can look like because of those 39 states... You know, we should clarify, this would be a good time for me to add a disclaimer. We should add at the beginning, which is in case you didn't know, Riley and I are not attorneys. Have you been to law school?
Riley Bowman: Nope.
Jacob Paulsen: No, me neither.
Riley Bowman: I mean, just, you know, the law school of YouTube. That's right.
Jacob Paulsen: So, so I, we should have said this at the beginning, but you know, I think that we're relatively well studied people, but we're not just should clarify, this is not legal advice and all that kind of stuff.
Riley Bowman: Yep.
Jacob Paulsen: And you should go, you know, research your own state.
Riley Bowman: We have our standard disclaimer still at the end of every episode that says something like that.
Jacob Paulsen: If you don't listen to the end, then here's that disclaimer now.
Riley Bowman: Just know that this is something that, I mean, we live in this space. This is something that we are interested in, that we've studied for a long time because we're talking about concealed carry issues.
Jacob Paulsen: I definitely did not always understand this well. So I'm sympathetic to people who do not. Okay, so back to what I was going to say. So I think there are 39 states that stand to ground states or states that do not have a duty to retreat, however you want to refer to that. But there's different versions of that. So you have some states that have, that they've passed a statute that says, hey, you do not have to retreat, even if you safely could kind of thing. That's not far from the wording of some of these. You have other states where there's, we call them standard ground states, but there's no statute. What you have is a court decision. So maybe the state Supreme Court or an appellate court or somebody, there was a specific case and they ruled on that case and said, hey, no, even though this person could have retreated, that's just not necessary. That's not required. So it's not a statutory, you know, stand your ground kind of law. It's just a court decision that holds as a precedent until such time that somebody, you know, a higher court changes the precedent or a statute is written. So there's that. And there's a third version. And this is one that we absolutely see with plenty of regularity. Those are states that have just nothing. There's no law that says you have to retreat, and so therefore you don't have to. There's no law that says you don't have to retreat. There's no court case that says you didn't have to retreat. It's just the absence of a requirement makes it not exist.
Riley Bowman: Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: It's just we're quiet on the subject, therefore it's not a requirement. Right. So we could debate over whether there's pros or cons there. I would rather be in a state that has a statutory clarity of you do not have to retreat. Right. And if I don't have that, then my second choice would be a state that we have a court precedent that says there's no requirement to retreat.
Riley Bowman: Where case law essentially establishes that as opposed to a state that says nothing about the matter. Right. Because that could create some ambiguity potentially in a case.
Jacob Paulsen: You might be the one setting the court precedent in your state.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. Right. Right. Yeah, no, that's well explained. And I appreciate you explaining kind of those different categories of states that have those kind of different nuanced levels of this, if you will. Now, if I've got my information correct here, states that do have a duty to retreat include Connecticut.
Jacob Paulsen: Hold on. Let me let me I'm going to reconcile your list with my list. Yep. Yep. All right. Go ahead.
Riley Bowman: Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts. Minnesota, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island.
Jacob Paulsen: So I think that's true. One that's a little bit, it's actually the most confusing one is Virginia. So we have to go read Virginia's statute because Virginia basically says you have no duty to retreat unless you made a contribution to the affray. That's their language, contribution to the affray. So So assuming you're truly an innocent party, you didn't contribute to the environment, then yes, I would say you're a standard. But we could make the argument that Virginia is a duty to retreat state if you contributed to the fray in some way. Now you need to retreat. You basically need to remove yourself and end that particular confrontation.
Riley Bowman: Right, right. So that's that piece where – and this is also pretty much the case in even stand-your-ground states where – Potentially. If you're the initial aggressor, for instance, if you essentially started the fight or the altercation or whatever, that you may be forfeiting your stand-your-ground privileges, if you will.
Jacob Paulsen: I wouldn't word it that way because you're suggesting one has something to do with the other. I'd say you're more forfeiting your self-defense privileges than your stand-your-ground privileges. So it's its own independent, unique requirement for self-defense is how I think of it. But Virginia doesn't say initial aggressor in this particular law we're talking about.
Riley Bowman: You contributed to the affray.
Jacob Paulsen: Contribution to the affray is different than initial aggressor.
Riley Bowman: Sure. Well, that's a, okay, so this is actually the first I'm hearing that specific Virginia example.
Jacob Paulsen: I know these things only because I typed them in. You can find all this on our website under concealedcarry.com forward slash laws.
Riley Bowman: Laws, yeah. Yeah, concealedcarry.com forward slash laws. You can see, you can look up any number of things about stand your ground, castle doctrine.
Jacob Paulsen: Oh, vehicle possession, hotel possession, campus carry.
Riley Bowman: Declare.
Jacob Paulsen: Duty to notify law enforcement.
Riley Bowman: Duty to notify law enforcement.
Jacob Paulsen: Permit training requirements, all sorts of things.
Riley Bowman: If you want to know all those different little things, which actually you should know. You should know them, especially for your own state. and you should know them for states that you visit or spend time in because really you got to abide by the laws of the states that you find yourself in. And so that's a, besides our app, the Concealed Carry Gun Tools app that has a lot of great information.
Jacob Paulsen: Including this one we're talking about. Yeah.
Riley Bowman: But also right there on concealedcarry.com forward slash laws. You can access all of the, so much information about this. So anyway, um, right. So back to, uh, duty to retreat or stand your ground. So the, you know, stand your ground as a, as a legal doctrine, especially where it exists as a statute is specifically stripping away. It's, it's the antithesis. It's the opposite. It's the complete polar, you know, opposite of duty to retreat. Correct. So just understand that's what it is.
Jacob Paulsen: The law is one or the other. Like you are either a duty to retreat state or a stand your ground state. Yeah. If you're a duty to retreat state, that's by statute or by law. We've said you got to run away. There's some nuance to that we'll come back to. And if you're a stand your ground state, then we're saying you don't got to run away either by statute, by court precedent, or just by the absence of a duty to retreat.
Riley Bowman: So where do people get it wrong? Like, cause again, so often like people sort of like hang their, their, their hats on the stand your ground, like, ah, stand your ground. You know, it's thrown out there as this common, I mean, we, we see it not just in our social media comments on our posts, but we see a news media frequently, frequently, uh, use it incorrectly. We even see law enforcement, uh, you know, sheriffs and police chiefs all the time, you You know, like, well, this is a stand your ground case when it is clearly not.
Jacob Paulsen: I think before we answer that, and that's going to be like probably the most valuable part of this episode, but we do have to clarify castle doctrine.
Riley Bowman: Okay. Okay. Yeah, fair enough.
Jacob Paulsen: So this is part of the definition of understanding, like the broad understanding of stand your ground. Yep. So castle doctrine is another, you know, good gold cliche term we throw around a lot. In fact, speaking of it getting overused, this is another one of those that people are like, you just insert here if something to do with house is involved.
Riley Bowman: Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: But Castle Doctrine is basically the absence of a duty to retreat inside your home or habitation or dwelling or however any given state might define that, which definition could go so far as to include your vehicle. So – A castle doctrine-type law is unnecessary in a stand-your-ground state. You and I are in a stand-your-ground state. Here in Colorado, this is a stand-your-ground state. And so we don't need a castle doctrine law because we already don't have a duty to retreat. So it would be superfluous to pass some castle doctrine-like statute in a state that already has a stand-your-ground law or policy or whatever you want to call it. So we have to isolate this down to the 12 jurisdictions, the 12 states, right? Not the 39 that are standard ground states, but the other 12, including DC. DC is not one of the 12, but DC making us 51, not 50. The other 12 states that are duty to treat states, those are states where a castle doctrine law would be relevant or applicable or helpful. Because if you're in a state that does have duty to treat, one of the ones that rightly read, now having a castle doctrine means, okay, in this state, you do have a duty to have to retreat, if safely able, with the other innocent parties. But if you're in your home, you don't have to retreat. So outside the home you do, inside the home you don't. And that's what castle doctrine does, is it removes the otherwise existing duty to retreat when you're inside your dwelling or habitation or whatever term that particular law might use. So we have only 12 states where we care whether or not they have a castle doctrine. And as it were, all 12 do. So putting it differently.
Riley Bowman: Isn't it that virtually every state has so-called, quote-unquote, castle doctrine to some degree?
Jacob Paulsen: I mean, in Colorado, we don't. We don't have a law that says you don't have to retreat in your home.
Riley Bowman: Well, it doesn't say anything about that. But what I mean is effectively, like virtually every state, I mean, is there any one state that requires you to retreat?
Jacob Paulsen: That would be the best way to summarize this.
Riley Bowman: There you go. Yes.
Jacob Paulsen: So no. The answer is no. Nowhere in this country do you have a duty to retreat inside your home dwelling habitation. It just doesn't exist. In 39 states, it doesn't exist because you have no such duty to retreat anywhere. Right. So the home is just part of anywhere, so it doesn't matter. And then in the other 12 states where you do have a duty to retreat, we remove or eliminate that duty when in the home with the castle doctrine type law.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, that's what I was getting at. Yeah. And that's important to, I think, call out. But now here's the thing, and this is where I'm going to start. And I appreciate you making sure we define castle doctrine as part of this discussion because really these are two doctrines that both deal with duty to retreat. And you just clarified it very well in that in all the states that effectively have Stand Your Ground, they also have Castle Doctrine. But in states that do not have Stand Your Ground... They may have a castle doctrine statute. No, you said that backwards. Hold on, I said it backwards. You did. You did.
Jacob Paulsen: So in states that have a duty to retreat, all of them also have a castle doctrine.
Riley Bowman: And castle doctrines will remove the duty to retreat when in your dwelling or home or whatever. Habitation.
Jacob Paulsen: Those tend to be the three words we see, dwelling, habitation, and home. But with me, a little bit, and there's some nuance there because those 12 states, the way they write the castle doctrine, It would get really important if you lived in one of those states because whether or not curtilage matters, whether or not some extension part of your property or yard matters, whether or not your vehicle is an extension of the home in that particular context. I really actually hate the phrase extension of your home. But in that particular context, some states would extend the castle doctrine privileges into your vehicle. Those would be nuanced things that you would want to know if you lived in one of those 12 states.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, yeah, okay. Okay. Very good clarification. So now kind of transitioning back to that question that I was asking a moment ago is where do people get it wrong? Because what we see so frequently is that, and I'm going to say this about both castle doctrine and stand your ground, is that they get used as catch-all phrases to just sort of mean self-defense. And it's sort of like, I can do whatever I want. Yes. You know? Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: No, you're dead on. That's exactly what happens.
Riley Bowman: It's a license to, you know.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, because if we're talking about, when you say how do people get Stand Your Ground wrong, there's really two ways to take the question. Again, this is Amelia Bedelia Jacob over here. I would love, actually, comments from people. Do you have any idea who Amelia Bedelia is? Is that a reference that is completely lost?
Riley Bowman: I'm sure it's lost on many today.
Jacob Paulsen: My kids would be like, Amelia, what? So I'm a very literal person. So just to be clear, when you say, how do people get Stand Your Ground wrong? You could be asking two questions. One would be sort of like, how do gun owners get in trouble because they fail to abide by that? By stand your ground regulate, or in this case, really duty to retreat requirements. But the other way to look at this, like, how does the public at large just misuse the term stand your ground? I think that's where you're going.
Riley Bowman: Well, and the reason I'm going there is because that's where the getting it wrong in the act part, you know, on the action side of the equation starts is just a complete misunderstanding of what any of that means. Yeah, 100%. So I think that's where we start is talking about like when people throw out these terms, stand your ground, you know, castle doctrine, make my day. Like, again, they're kind of using it in this very broad sort of like this license to dole out justice.
Jacob Paulsen: Well, Florida screwed this up, in my opinion.
Riley Bowman: And they were one of the early states that enshrined this in statute. Yes. And that, yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: And when they did it, they screwed it up for the rest of us. Because what happened is at the time, Florida passed two self-defense related laws. And one of them is the stand your ground provision that says you don't have a duty to retreat. But the other law that was passed at the same time is a self-defense immunity law. That law basically says that before you go to court to hear charges against you, you can appear before a judge with no jury present. And in a hearing with the judge, the judge can hear the evidence presented by the prosecutor and by the defendant. And if the judge determines that this is clearly self-defense, then the judge can basically declare you immune from prosecution and civil liability. So it's sort of a way for a judge to kind of preempt it, nip it in the butt in advance and be like, we're not going to deal with all the drama of a trial. In fact, we're not going to let people even sue this guy because this is clearly self-defense. And this self-defense immunity concept statute was passed at the same time as the Stand Your Ground provision in Florida. They were passed together in a single session.
Riley Bowman: As a package. As a package, yes.
Jacob Paulsen: Thank you. Well said. That's the word I was looking for. And so what happened at the time is the media reported on this package of law as a stand your ground provision. Like, oh, stand your ground, like Florida's passed stand your ground. It means that you can't be tried. You can't be sued for self-defense. And so the association, the incorrect association of the phrase stand your ground, I think, got screwed up first and foremost because of Florida.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. There's another kind of aspect to this as well, I think, Jacob, that has sort of morphed the doctrine of stand your ground into this broader, you know, it's sort of like people think that stand your ground means or gave the law passed that created stand your ground, created the ability to use a gun in self-defense outside the home. Sure. And why I think this gets kind of roped up in that a little bit is historically, when we look at kind of the timing of everything, is when Stand Your Ground became the law in Florida. And then in some other select states, it was also during kind of this huge surge in states adopting concealed carry laws as well and issuing permits. And so now you start to see, because before that, it was far less common that you had people carrying guns outside of the home and using them in self-defense outside of the home, right? And so I think in a lot of people's minds, historically, they sort of like, stand your ground. I remember that was a big thing. And around that same time, people actually carrying guns on their person outside the home for personal defense also is becoming a thing. And so sort of like lump that all together, that stand your ground means my right and privilege to use a gun and defend myself outside the home.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, I think you're not wrong. In fact, I'm going to do an experiment right now. I'm going to open chat GPT on my phone.
Riley Bowman: All right.
Jacob Paulsen: And I'm going to type, did stand your ground law play a part of In the George Zimmerman, because this is a Florida case, the George Zimmerman incident. Now, the correct answer to this, I'm not looking at the answer, I have my phone turned upside down, but the correct answer to this is no.
Riley Bowman: No.
Jacob Paulsen: It didn't. Like when someone is straddling you on the ground and beating your head into the concrete, whether or not you have a duty to retreat is irrelevant. Right. Because they're on you.
Riley Bowman: Yep.
Jacob Paulsen: Holding you against the ground, right? So it is absolutely, unquestionably not relevant.
Riley Bowman: Forces already, like, very serious force is already being used on you at that point as well. So, yeah, yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: Okay, here's Chad GPT's response.
Riley Bowman: All right, let's hear it.
Jacob Paulsen: Yes, Florida Stand Your Ground law did play a role in the legal process surrounding the Georgia Zimmerman shooting at Trayvon Martin, but not in the way most people assume. Okay, go on. It says, what Stand Your Ground actually does? Florida's Stand Your Ground law removes the duty to retreat before using deadly force. Good job, Chet. Yeah. Not bad.
Riley Bowman: Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: And then it says, if you're in a place you have a legal right to be and you reasonably believe deadly force is necessary to prevent death or great bodily harm. That's true. That's basically what the Florida statute says. Yep. It also provides a pretrial immunity hearing option, meaning a defendant can try to avoid trial entirely. It does not. That's a different statute. So that's not quite accurate. Did Zimmerman use Stand Your Ground as a defense? No at trial, he did not rely on stand your ground. He did not request a stand your ground immunity hearing. His legal team instead argued traditional self-defense. So I'd say AI did okay on this. I was actually hoping it would fail bigger than that. So that I could make fun of it some more.
Riley Bowman: If I was rating it out of five, I'd get four out of five or 4.5 out of five.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, not bad. The jury instructions did include no duty to retreat language. Okay. The jurors were told Zimmerman did not have to retreat.
Riley Bowman: Chad's answering it from this perspective. It played a role in that it didn't.
Jacob Paulsen: Play a role.
Riley Bowman: It had to come up.
Jacob Paulsen: Well, I thought I was setting up AI for failure, and I was going to make fun of it completely. And it actually did a pretty good job. So props to whoever programmed Chad on that one.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, no.
Jacob Paulsen: But yeah, we see it screw up all the time. Yeah. Yeah, I know we have some examples, some specific incidents that it should or didn't come up in.
Riley Bowman: So the big takeaway from this, and this is kind of where I was going with this last little discussion, is that stand your ground is not the law that gives you the right to self-defense. No. That always existed. It already existed. Okay? you may not have had depending on your state the ability to carry a gun on your person especially concealed up to a certain point you know two three whatever decades ago but you always had the right to, use self defense right it still had to be reasonable proportional you couldn't be the initial aggressor you still had to meet all these other legal you know, principles and requirements. Okay. All that always and already did exist. Stand Your Ground just came out to clarify and put a provision in statute that says, hey, in some instances or in some cases or in some locations or some states, there was this duty to retreat piece that was like one of those legal requirements. That's gone. That's it. It didn't change anything else about self-defense.
Jacob Paulsen: Nope.
Riley Bowman: And that's what I think is really key for people to understand so that they know, hey, when we talk about Stand Your Ground, what we are actually talking about, when we talk about it, and when intelligent people talk about it, we are talking simply about the removal of duty to retreat. When you hear it used in the media and by your local sheriff that's doing a press conference that I'm sorry, sheriffs, I mean, not all of them are disclueless, but there I've seen some press conferences that I'm just like, oh my goodness, they don't understand what the actual law means.
Jacob Paulsen: They have no idea what they're saying.
Riley Bowman: So anyway, that's what we mean when we talk about stand your ground.
Jacob Paulsen: No duty to retreat. In fact, I often think of castle doctrine. It's just partial stand your ground.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. But that's, you know.
Jacob Paulsen: It's just like limited to stand your ground. It's limited. It's just limited to your Yeah, that's a good
Riley Bowman: Way of defining that as well. So I think at this point, I think we've defined it pretty well. We've talked about the context. I think it's good to probably talk about some specific examples.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, okay. How about Draca?
Riley Bowman: Yeah, that's one I was referencing towards the beginning of the episode. Hey, stick around because you're going to hear us talk about this. I mean, this was a huge case. It got a lot of media attention. We've talked about it before on the podcast. It's been a while. This has been a couple of years ago. But uh the the michael draka case out of florida which.
Jacob Paulsen: Ironically is a case that had nothing to do with stand your ground
Riley Bowman: And that's why this is a great example because because people kept saying stand your ground stand your ground like that's all i heard in the media for like months oh.
Jacob Paulsen: The prosecutor refused to prosecute stating they couldn't because it was a stand your
Riley Bowman: Ground yeah this is an example of a prosecutor didn't understand yeah so stand your ground meant so.
Jacob Paulsen: Let's talk about what happened in this incident this is one that's come up on our podcast several times. It's one that we often use as kind of an example in some of these things. And in this particular incident is a really good example of the legal doctrine of imminence, but it's also an example of the public or, and not just the public, the people who matter, misunderstandings to end your ground. So we got some people who have gone to the gas station, and they've parked in the handicapped parking spot.
Riley Bowman: Yep.
Jacob Paulsen: But presumably they're not handicapped. They have no placard to indicate as much. They're not, you know, et cetera. And Michael Draca, the handicapped parking police guy, in his own mind.
Riley Bowman: Yep.
Jacob Paulsen: He goes to the gas station, and he sees this car sitting in the handicapped spot, and the passenger seat is occupied by a female adult and he decides that he needs to do his thing and yell at this person for occupying this handicapped spot.
Riley Bowman: How dare you park there?
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah. Which, by the way, that's a dick move. Stop parking in handicapped spots if you're not handicapped. That's not okay. Drake is not wrong. Don't do that crap.
Riley Bowman: People understand that intent that he had as far as like, you know he he witnessed an injustice and by the way there was a history of this in fact it came up in in trial uh that more than once i think there were at least two other times before this fateful day that he had accosted somebody at that same gas station uh about the same issue now he also i think had uh some limited mobility or some kind of minor handicap issue I don't know if he himself had a handicapped placard or anything. I just know that he had, what I recall is there was some limited mobility on his part. And I think that he just took this issue very personally that that's a handicapped spot. If you are not, if you don't have that placard, that license plate, whatever, you do not park there. And this was a justice that he decided he needed to take action on.
Jacob Paulsen: That's right. So he's yelling at the female adult occupant when said female adult occupant of the car's boyfriend, male driver of the car, comes out of the gas station. And decides he doesn't like that that old dude over there is yelling at his girl.
Riley Bowman: Yep. Nobody would, right?
Jacob Paulsen: Right. No, that's not cool. So he basically body checks him.
Riley Bowman: Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: And this is all on camera. So we have, I mean, there's no audio. So I don't know who's saying what. Yeah, it's an
Riley Bowman: Exterior camera on the convenience store. Right.
Jacob Paulsen: But he body checks. He comes out the door. He sees Draco doing his thing. And he runs over and it's like, pop. I really just, he body checks him. And drake goes like right to the ground didn't see it coming complete ambush got him by surprise yeah drake's
Riley Bowman: Attention is still on the girlfriend he's kind of turned like this and uh and it's his name is marquise uh marquise mclochten is the is the victim in this case yeah he comes out and kind of from drake's left bam hits him so yeah he goes right down body checks him good yep.
Jacob Paulsen: So drake is on the ground now yeah and in pretty short order while his presumed attacker is kind of standing and staring at him like do you want to get up for some more draca draws his gun yeah while he's still on the ground his back is on the ground his butt cheeks are touching the asphalt and he draws his gun it points it uh what'd you guys say what'd you say the guy's name was marquise marquise and so So Marquise decides that body checking people is all fine and good, but getting shots, not something he has any interest in.
Riley Bowman: Right.
Jacob Paulsen: So he kind of puts his hands up in the good old surrender move and starts to step backward.
Riley Bowman: Yep.
Jacob Paulsen: And makes it a deliberate intent to disengage.
Riley Bowman: Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: And as he's in the act of this disengagement, hands up, stepping back, Draco decides, now, bang.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. Well, frankly, I think that he had made the decision to pull the trigger at the moment he started drawing the gun.
Jacob Paulsen: But he hesitated. I mean, there's clear hesitation. Like the gun is out and presented to target, and the amount of time elapses before he presses the trigger.
Riley Bowman: I don't know if that's decisional time or.
Jacob Paulsen: If that's… Just how long it takes him to press the trigger.
Riley Bowman: How long? Yeah. I mean, come on. You've worked with me on the range.
Jacob Paulsen: It could be unclear from the camera angle. but to me it looks like hesitation and if I was on the jury I would have said that looks like he hesitated but certainly the trigger is not pressed until such time that the man has his hands up in a surrender position and is retreating yeah
Riley Bowman: He takes one or two steps to the rear it's not like a ton of.
Jacob Paulsen: But it
Riley Bowman: Is apparent he's no longer over top of Draca he's no longer he is not pursuing anything he's doing this, and so So, yeah, so this is, I think, one of the most famous cases that illustrates this, and it illustrates it incorrectly because Stand Your Ground wasn't even...
Jacob Paulsen: Has nothing to do with this.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, has nothing to do with this case, but that's why we're using it as an example. One, because, you know, so many people were like, well, it's a Stand Your Ground matter, you know, so we're not going to pursue charges. Draco probably was himself thinking, yeah, Stand Your Ground, you know, like, I was within my rights, you know, kind of thing. But that wasn't the case at all.
Jacob Paulsen: No he's still in prison oh
Riley Bowman: Yeah sentenced to at.
Jacob Paulsen: Least 20 years he could be out on early parole or something but he was sentenced to 20 years that was less than 20 years ago Uh, so now let's talk about why stand your ground has nothing to do with this.
Riley Bowman: Yep. So when you're, before we do, sorry, one, one, one other thing here I think is, is relevant to point out is that there was, I would say very clearly another crime that was committed in this story, in this situation. And that was the initial contact by Marquise against Draca.
Jacob Paulsen: Oh, sure. Right.
Riley Bowman: Because what we have is just a, a verbal altercation is taking place. And I know that, you know, like, Hey man, that's my girl. Like I'm going to stand up with my girl, you know? So Marquise does what he thinks is right. But in so doing, he's actually the one that sort of draws first blood, so to speak.
Jacob Paulsen: He's arguably the initial aggressor, even though he didn't start the verbal argument.
Riley Bowman: And that's where this is an interesting case because it's like, you know, so if we were to go back in time, if we were to kind of step back frame by frame, and we're at that moment where Drake is on the ground. He's just been body checked, pushed, whatever, to the ground. And he draws his gun. And it starts coming out of the holster. Maybe it's even pointed at Marquise. Marquise is like, whoa, whoa, whoa. If we were to stop that right then, at that moment, and Marquise goes his way, Draco picks himself up and goes his own way, I mean, would have anything come of this?
Jacob Paulsen: No, no big deal. I mean, is it possible that Marquise could have been charged with an assault?
Riley Bowman: That's possible.
Jacob Paulsen: It's possible.
Riley Bowman: Could he have also tried to get Draco charged because he pulled out a gun?
Jacob Paulsen: Sure, aggravated assault.
Riley Bowman: It could have gone to something like that, but the point is that's a whole different thing, a whole other ball of wax, so to speak. But basically, nothing would have come of this unlike what actually ended up happening.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, 20 years in prison.
Riley Bowman: So anyway.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, and again, the real legal doctrine that gets him in trouble in the end is imminence. Did he have an imminent threat? Was in the moment he decided to act, did he have an active imminent happening now or about to happen threat? Or was that confrontation ending and de-escalating as the threat was removing himself? And that's what got him in trouble.
Riley Bowman: I think even proportionality could probably come into the conversation as well.
Jacob Paulsen: Debatable. You mentioned he has some limited mobility. He's on the ground, a young male standing over him. We could get into that debate.
Riley Bowman: But what's clear is that Marquise is not armed. Yes, he may have pushed him down, but he's not armed, and he backs away. Right? And so now why is this not a stand-your-ground case?
Jacob Paulsen: So that's the important thing. It's not a stand-your-ground case because, one, nothing hinged on whether or not he had a duty to retreat. And if he had had the duty, let's pick up this case and let's move it to Delaware where such a duty exists. Then we have to ask, but was he safely able to retreat or not? And if you were on the ground, on your back, on the asphalt, and your attacker is standing over you, younger, tougher, you know, whatever, standing over you, do you have a safe means of retreat? And I think the answer is probably no, you don't. So that's the first reason why Stand Your Ground doesn't come into it is because even if this was in a duty-to-retreat state where you had to retreat, where you have no stand-your-ground at all, it still wouldn't matter because you can't retreat. You can't retreat from that. When you're on your back on the asphalt and you have limited mobility issues, probably getting up from that position is challenging already and someone is standing over you like, get up, I dare you. You don't have a safe means of retreat.
Riley Bowman: Yep. Yep.
Jacob Paulsen: So that's why it's not a stand-your-ground case.
Riley Bowman: So in other words, duty to retreat or not is just not relevant.
Jacob Paulsen: It doesn't apply.
Riley Bowman: Yep. Yep.
Jacob Paulsen: In a place where there's a duty to retreat, you only have that duty to retreat when you're safely able to do so. Yep. And so it's a hinged requirement.
Riley Bowman: There you go. So, and again, this is another example where I don't know the mind of Michael Draca. I don't know exactly what he was thinking. I don't know what he was thinking in the moment. I do know that, well, what I think, what I think is that he thought he was justified doing what he did. Yeah. And I think that he had a misunderstanding of what was reasonable, what was imminent, what was proportional in that situation.
Jacob Paulsen: Yes.
Riley Bowman: And whether he thought it was a stand your ground or not, I don't know. But what I perceive from people that love to throw that out as a defense, stand your ground, is that they would very likely make a similar decision and it would be wrong.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah and we and we do see situations where this this comes into play and it gets people in trouble you know an interesting one and it's on our little list of potential ones discussed here is is written house written house is maybe uh one of the more relevant potential stand your ground ones uh that we could i think
Riley Bowman: It's the most clear uh you know from the examples we have in our little list here i think it's the most clear stand your ground.
Jacob Paulsen: Example yeah uh
Riley Bowman: Because it is one where you know it what there was a possibility of retreat in fact he tried to retreat.
Jacob Paulsen: He was constantly trying to retry trying
Riley Bowman: To get away from the whole the.
Jacob Paulsen: Whole engagement is a duty is a an attempt to retreat yeah
Riley Bowman: Even though there was not a requirement to do.
Jacob Paulsen: So right this in Wisconsin where there's no duty to retreat. It's a stand your ground state.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. I know where it gets tricky in some people's minds is, well, he showed up at this.
Jacob Paulsen: He chose to be there.
Riley Bowman: He showed up there. He brought a gun with him. Okay. And I know that like that doesn't necessarily look good. But there was, and this is what was interesting. I paid pretty close attention to the Rittenhouse case. And I remember I was driving back from somewhere on a trip. And I just remember I had several hours of just driving and I had the live feed of like the final day of that trial, closing arguments, all that going on. And, you know, I mean, what it came down to is that there wasn't anything that Kyle actually did that was illegal.
Jacob Paulsen: Right. Right. He might have made some bad decisions. Yeah. That's up for debate. Like teach, teach, teach, teach opinion.
Riley Bowman: I would, I don't know for sure. I haven't talked to him personally, but I mean, if it were me and I went through the heck that he did after the fact, I'd be like, yeah, I kind of wish I didn't go there.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah. I have, I have talked to him personally, uh, face to face.
Riley Bowman: Oh yeah, that's right. That's right.
Jacob Paulsen: And I, I don't want to misquote the guy cause he didn't say this, but my sense is, um, he doesn't think he did anything wrong or anything foolish or bad. Okay. But again, he didn't say that to me. That was just the sense I got from the conversation we had.
Riley Bowman: And that's okay, too.
Jacob Paulsen: Teach their own. I'm not trying to judge.
Riley Bowman: He went there doing what I think he felt was the right thing, trying to provide protection to this community. That's right. And that's okay. But I just, you know, I feel like if it were me, I'd be like, man, that was, I'm not so sure that was worth it or not, you know, Because that's a lot of pain and trouble and expense and life-altering change. I'd much rather not be famous for what he's famous for.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, I think a reasonable person would probably like to rewind that call.
Riley Bowman: You pretty much can't live a normal life having the name Kyle Rittenhouse, right? But anyway, so I do think it is a good example of Stand Your Ground in that he was there lawfully. He was allowed to be there just like any of the other people were allowed to be there. He was carrying a gun actually lawfully under the statutes of Wisconsin. And when it came down to it, he was attacked. He was hit. by a skateboard. Which constitutes a weapon. He was attacked multiple times with multiple individuals and he used force in self-defense.
Jacob Paulsen: Yes, and I think what makes it such a good example is because it may be, it's not exactly a good example where a duty to retreat impacted a case because it took place in a non-state. I'm saying it's an example of how it's potentially applicable because this is a situation where he constantly was trying to disengage and get away. And often his attempt to do so was thwarted and challenged, and that's what led to some of his problems. But once the fight began, his seemingly sole objective was to disengage and escape.
Riley Bowman: Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: Up to the point of walking up to the cops and trying to surrender himself.
Riley Bowman: Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: So that is why, had this taken place in a duty to retreat state, not a stand your ground state, he would have been a prime example of somebody who followed the letter of the law in that respect. As it were, it was probably just good tactics. But it would have been like following the requirement of duty to retreat had it taken place in a state where it was required.
Riley Bowman: And that's something I think is noteworthy to this discussion as we get close to wrapping this up is that when we're talking about stand your ground, there's the legal side of this as far as retreat or not, right? Whether you're obligated to or not and there is the uh the tactical decision making side of this yes of whether or not the law says i must retreat or whether the law says there is no obligation to do so is it the right thing to try to do um and those are two different things what the law. You know, either permits us to do or obligates us to do. And what we, whether it's on a more moral basis, personally speaking, or tactical, like that's, those are completely different decision-making paths, potentially. They can be one and the same. I mean, they, and they can end up in the same place too, as far as we decide to try to retreat or not or whatever, but that's, those are two different decision-making trees is what I want to point out to this. And what I would say is that even if not obligated to retreat, and this is why I think we're bringing up the Rittenhouse case, just so this is clear, is that it is still in, I would say in almost all cases, unless you're just putting yourself at greater jeopardy, it is almost always wiser, smarter, more tactically sound for you to try to retreat.
Jacob Paulsen: If safely able.
Riley Bowman: Exactly. And so, because I mean, that is a win in my book if like if we don't have to get involved in a self-defense shooting at all that's a win, The upside of that is way better than, you know, the opposite end of ending up and spending any amount of time in jail, being a part of an investigation, having to go through a trial, having your entire life just completely transformed in many ways, not probably ideal. I mean, like if your name, if your last name is Rittenhouse, there's a high probability there are just certain jobs you will not be able to get because those people just won't like you.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah.
Riley Bowman: Right?
Jacob Paulsen: So anyway. Yeah. Well, there's one more case on our list that I think is worth quickly mentioning. And it's one we actually mentioned two weeks ago when we did our legislative updates from Akron, Ohio. I think it's also a really interesting tactics and legal one. Ohio is actually a standard ground state and it's the most recent standard ground state relatively maybe in the last 5-6 years, thank you so 5 years ago Ohio passed a statute to statutorily become a standard ground state to remove the duty of retreat but what happens is in Akron, Ohio this is the DoorDash driver and his girl who are out cruising around doing deliveries, in my own personal words eating bag fries and they date night is door dash you get paid while having a date night so they're out doing their thing and they're being tailgated by a 17 year old driver with his 15 year old brother in tow and they decide that they'll want to pull over and let these guys pass but instead of passing per se they kind of the 15 year old opens fire on the door dash driver's girl and he returns fire And then as soon as they disengage and the attackers drive off, he and his girl drive off also and head to a gas station, Circle K, if I recall correctly, and they call the cops. In the moment they're taking fire, they determine they cannot safely retreat, right? Getting in the car and driving at this point, like, they're stationary. They're not moving. They're parked. I mean, I don't know if the car's in park, but they're stationary on the side of the road, and they're taking fire. So in this moment, they have to say, hey, like, could we retreat from this? The answer is no, not fast enough.
Riley Bowman: Right.
Jacob Paulsen: Right? So returning fire is the thing that you do that's the most efficient way to stop the threat. And as soon as the threat ceases, like, we're not getting shot at anymore. Oh, it looks like they drove off. Cool. Now we remove ourselves. Now we retreat. Now we get to safety. And so I think this is.
Riley Bowman: And they called it in and reported. Yeah. You know what happened.
Jacob Paulsen: This is a fantastic example of good tactics.
Riley Bowman: Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: That would also meet the criteria of a duty to retreat law should you be in a state where it's necessary.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. Yeah. No, I like that one as well. And as you mentioned, that's just our most recent Justified Saves episode. We covered that very story. There's one more thing I wanted to share story-wise, Jacob, and the reason why is because the defendant and now convict of this particular case tried to claim stand-your-ground immunity, if you will. This is the Ralph Yarl case. This is a 16-year-old Ralph Yarl. This happened in Kansas City, Missouri area. He was trying to go and, I think, pick up his siblings from somebody from a home. So you know mom was probably like hey go get your go get your brothers or whatever right so ralph goes to what he thinks is the home it turns out he's mistaken but he just has the wrong house wrong address yeah you know hey hey it's that one down there with the red door okay you know like so he shows up the wrong door he rings the doorbell and 84 year old andrew lester, With virtually no, like, by all accounts, there's, like, no warning given. There's no, there's not really anything that happens other than Andrew Lester just starts blasting through the door. I'm being attacked. Yeah. And he strikes Ralph a couple times in the head and in the arm. Fortunately, this 16-year-old boy survives this whole thing. But what was interesting about this is that Lester tried to invoke Missouri's Stand Your Ground law. But, which is interesting because, number one, this took place at a dwelling. And two, like, I mean, he's in his home. He's behind a door. Like, it's secured. Like, anyway, he tries to stand your ground as a defense.
Jacob Paulsen: The attorney tries to make this defense.
Riley Bowman: And it's clear, like, that is not the case. It has nothing to do with this. It has nothing to do with this situation. And, frankly, everything about it is not reasonable because, I mean, like, what is reasonable? About your doorbell ringing and you're like, and maybe you look through your peephole or you're looking at your camera or whatever. And you're like, I don't know this young kid. He looks like a threat. Bang, bang, bang, bang. You know, there's nothing reasonable at all about this whole situation. Um, and I'm just, I just wanted to make sure we use this as an example to show like people have a completely miss the complete wrong misunderstanding of what standard ground is and try to use it as this catch-all defense for any time they draw and fire shots, including in situations where they are just completely not justified at all.
Jacob Paulsen: I guess the way I perceive this is self-defense has requirements, and people think that a stand-your-ground law removes all the requirements, and you can just defend yourself anytime, time, anywhere, in any reason. And that's what they think stand your ground is. And it's not like self-defense has requirements and stand your ground removes one of them.
Riley Bowman: Yep.
Jacob Paulsen: But you still got other requirements.
Riley Bowman: Yep.
Jacob Paulsen: So that's, that's all it does. And it's not a blanket, um, you know, just permission to defend yourself in any circumstance, which you think it's a good idea.
Riley Bowman: Yep. Exactly. And if I could offer one more thing as kind of closing words to this, be mindful of what you say online and publicly about these kinds of things. Because all those sorts of things, your entire social media history can be subpoenaed and released to prosecutors and to the courts as evidence. Uh one thing that prosecutors try to do is use that as uh you know basically to show how you have a history and a pattern of saying certain things acting certain ways thinking certain things that do not make your case look good not at all uh and of course i mean this we just talked about how you need to make reasonable good prudent wise sane moral decisions that hopefully keep you out of this in the first place, but also just be mindful of what you say publicly and online, because all of that can be admissible into the court of law. And, you know, if you're one of those out there, I mean, we're doing this whole episode so that hopefully we catch some of you out there that are online being all like, stand your ground. And hopefully you start thinking twice about what it actually means. And now you're a little bit better informed. We just gave you all these examples and the logic and the reason and the history and what the laws actually say what stand your ground actually is and i hope that you'll think twice before you say anything that you'll later regret online in.
Jacob Paulsen: The last 28 days we've had 95 000 comments on facebook posts on the conciliacurray.com facebook page i just pulled it up to check 95 000 last 28 days that's
Riley Bowman: A lot of comments.
Jacob Paulsen: Our poor social media guy. There's no way he's reading them all. No. How would you? Anyway, I bet you half of them would look damning in court.
Riley Bowman: Yes.
Jacob Paulsen: So including outright threats against the governor of Virginia. Crazy stuff. I just do not understand what people are thinking. We don't get subpoenaed, by the way. If you say something dumb on our – they subpoena Facebook.
Riley Bowman: They just send it to Facebook.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, Meta is the one that gets subpoenaed and just turns it over. So I don't know how many times comments on our posts have been subpoenaed in the trial. Probably dozens of times. We don't even know about it. How would we know? Meta's the one getting subpoenaed. What are these idiots thinking? Most of the time it's that they're outright, like their thinking is immoral. But sometimes their thinking is just misinformed. You're just wrong. That's not actually true. And either could get you in trouble in court. Yeah. So be careful.
Riley Bowman: There you go. Words of wisdom for sure. Thank you for being with us for another episode of the Concealed Carry Podcast. Today's episode was sponsored by Guardian Nation, which you can learn more about at guardiannation.com. We hope you'll join us there, be part of the tribe, the family, the nation, and also CCWsafe, ccwsafe.com for the best legal team in the business out there that will help keep you on the straight and narrow path to navigate these tricky waters if you do ever find yourself in some kind of self-defense situation and the legal aftermath that follows. Just make sure you have that membership and that number. I mean, it's a number you can call 24-7, and we've seen it go into action even. We've been at the dinner table with some of that critical response team when they suddenly all got messages, hey, we got an incident, and they're all like, okay, all right, we'll keep monitoring that.
Jacob Paulsen: It's like Jason Bourne style. It's like prep for transport.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, exactly. And that's happened where they get a message and it basically is like, okay, it's go time.
Jacob Paulsen: We might have to leave.
Riley Bowman: We're going to Springfield, Illinois, whatever. I'm just picking a place, random place, because we have a member there that needs us right now. That's the kind of team you have backing you up if you're a member of ccw safe well thanks for uh everybody everything guys uh like share subscribe the podcast if you would please we appreciate it uh hope to to reach more people because they need to hear about the things we were just talking about here today jacob that's.
Jacob Paulsen: It remember to train right train often and train safe
Riley Bowman: So you can fight hard fight fast and fight true take care, A reminder that laws vary from place to place, and we encourage listeners to seek local legal advice to understand applicable laws. Concealed Carry, Inc., its brands and properties, and the Concealed Carry podcast is not a legal service, nor are we attorneys at law. We make our best-fade effort to share Concealed Carry-related insights and information about firearm-related incidents and the laws pertaining, based on our own understanding and experience. But things can be different where you live, or laws may have changed by the time you listen to this. We cannot be held liable for your actions based on the information shared in this podcast. Please exercise care with all things pertaining to firearm use, Concealed Carry, and always practice following basic firearm safety rules. More information about safety can be found at concealedcarry.com forward slash safety. Thank you.