Riley Bowman: Welcome to the Concealed Carry Podcast, part of the ConcealedCarry.com network, brought to you by HK. Today is Wednesday, March 25th, 2026. As of the recording, this is a live recording of this episode. I am your host, Riley Bowman, joined by Jacob Paulson.
Jacob Paulsen: Yep, it's me. I'm here.
Riley Bowman: He's here. He's doing the thing.
Jacob Paulsen: What's on your shirt?
Riley Bowman: This? Oh, I love this shirt. It's not, it's a, I bought it on Amazon. Yeah. You know, it's got MP3, you know, file player, whatever thing, MP4, which I mean, those things, that wasn't even like a thing for more than about like two years. And then MP5.
Jacob Paulsen: I'm surprised Amazon let that be sold.
Riley Bowman: I know, right?
Jacob Paulsen: Anything associated with a carbine.
Riley Bowman: I saw it and I'm like, oh man, bye. It was like 12 bucks too. It was awesome. But, yeah, actually, since I'm wearing MP5 on my shirt today, this episode is brought to you by HK. They're not only our title sponsor, but we're specifically mentioning them as a sponsor of this episode today. We believe the guns we're carrying right now, their HK pistols, are some of the finest quality pistols. Implements that you can own for purposes of self-defense uh they got some great stuff guys and and i i just saw a rumor get this jacob and i'm not speaking officially as a representative of hk or anything but i saw on uh there's an hk forum that i peruse a little bit here and there, and uh one of the accounts on there he's clearly german like he talks like a german i mean i don't hear his voice or his accent but the way he writes and everything you know you could tell he's he's native right Riley.
Jacob Paulsen: Can now determine where you're from by your writing
Riley Bowman: No you could tell I mean I think he mentions he's he's he's from there all right and I'm trying not to give away his name like his his his username like it's it's German okay so I don't know if he works there I doubt he works there but he he seems to know what he's talking about he at least has some some kind of connections but he just posted, there's uh yeah basically there's a possibility that the mp7 that people think is you know so awesome uh that they will that they're you know coming out with a sp7 i'm not saying that's an official i'm getting this i'm not speaking officially this is rumor this is like the rumor meal but like people go crazy over that mp7 you know a little 4.6 millimeter caliber.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah we'd have to find some people start making that ammo in america
Riley Bowman: Yeah right but uh pretty hard to find so the rumor is sp7 you know meaning semi-automatic because there was two images that were shared one was uh basically a pistol version and then there was a rifle version which the mp7 i don't think that really is a thing but they they're coming out with uh a rifle version has you know 16 inch barrel and all that but anyway cool so that's that's a rumor and that comes supposedly from germany hey.
Jacob Paulsen: The gun will come from germany too so import credits
Riley Bowman: Anyway i saw that you know i take all things with a grain of salt um it's it's you know amusing to me nonetheless but we appreciate hk support the podcast um, hk-usa.com's website i appoint you to the u.s based operation is made up of amazing people some of our most favorite people in the industry uh because i mean they're just good people but they're also shooters they train they require their employees to train and take classes and stuff to make themselves better uh and most of them like i can't i think they they said they were in a company meeting once and everyone in that like i don't know if it was a board meeting necessarily, but it was a meeting with people, stakeholders, folks involved here at the corporate office sitting around a table and every single one of them has a permit. Every one of them is carrying a gun. They take it seriously. I think that's really cool. Not every gun company is like that. HK-USA.com. Today's episode also sponsored by CCW Safe. CCW Safe is always a sponsor of Justified Saves episodes. It's been the case for a number of years now. So that's what we're here to talk about today is Justified Saves. I guarantee you, a lot of people we're going to talk about as we go through these stories, Jacob, are going to wish they had CCW safe coverage. And it's not something you want to be wishing for after the fact. This is something you buy before you are ever in a situation like this. And I'll tell you the very first one. This is true of probably all of them. But, you know, this very first one is a situation that develops very quickly, very randomly. Something you don't just wake up today driving someplace with your two kids in your pickup truck thinking today's the day today's the day we need that gun you know it just it happens so fast and before you know it uh you are not only having to use your gun in defense but then you're also going well crap now what because there's an investigation underway and i know nothing about that i don't have anybody to help me out through that i don't have legal representation i'm gonna have to go find that, pay for it. They're going to probably want a huge retainer up front because they know already, you know, a gun's involved. Somebody got shot. Multiple people got shot. Like already we know that's, you know, a trickier case than most. So they're going to certainly want a retainer up front. So what are you doing? Mortgaging your house, whatever, selling cars, selling guns, whatever. So you can just pay for an attorney.
Jacob Paulsen: Right?
Riley Bowman: You won't have to do that if you have a membership with CCWsafe. Just make one phone call.
Jacob Paulsen: Just figure it out. Put it in the budget. Make it happen. Yep.
Riley Bowman: And they have plans that are budget friendly. So check them out. CCWsafe.com Afternoon gents as messy rides on YouTube. That's a fun name there. Appreciate you watching and tuning in live, Messy Rides. All righty, Jacob, let's jump into our stories, shall we?
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah.
Riley Bowman: We got a bunch. There's some good ones here, some doozies. And we're going to also, I'll tease this ahead of the fact. We're saving it for last because it's kind of a notable thing. But we're going to talk today, too. We're going to talk about the active shooting that took place. You know, this was the terrible shooting took place at Old Dominion University where one of the professors was shot there, a ROTC instructor. And, of course, we're going to talk about that and the aftermath of that and some of what happened there. We're also going to talk a little bit about the incident out of Michigan, the synagogue shooting there that just happened a few weeks back as well. So we're going to talk about those as part of this episode today. It'll come towards the end. And so you're going to stick around and hear our take on those incidents. But as is typical, what we often do with Justified Saves episodes is we like to start with at least one example of a what not to do. And this is not the most blatant what not to do.
Jacob Paulsen: No, no, it's subtle.
Riley Bowman: But going through the different stories, I was like, okay, this would be a good example. Because we want people to learn from these stories. These are real stories. because these are real people that are involved, their lives, you know, real lives that are impacted. And the opportunity is here to learn from these, you know, it's to learn from somebody else having touched that hot stove, not so you have to go and touch it yourself. We want you to learn from these and be thinking ahead of time. If you find yourself in a similar situation, hopefully you can make a better decision. So, Texas road rage incident, this happened near Harlingen, or Harlingen, Harlingen, Texas, Cameron County it says. Two men hospitalized that got shot by our presumed good guy in this case. It's hard to know exactly what happened here. What was going on?
Jacob Paulsen: Well, the good guy says very clearly what started the incident.
Riley Bowman: Wow. But you got two brothers and apparently two vehicles, if I read the story correctly, that are like, are they on the side of the road? Yes, they are. You know, so it's a little bit like, so basically you got two brothers driving two vehicles, apparently on the side of the road. And this guy, who's our presumed good guy in this case, he's just driving and he just, he happens to pass by them. And apparently because of how he passed them, they were upset.
Jacob Paulsen: Well, he told deputies that he quote, nearly caused one of them to run off the road.
Riley Bowman: See, that's where I got confused because it sounds like they're on the side of the road, but nearly caused them to run off the road like that would imply there.
Jacob Paulsen: He says Sanchez told deputies he was driving westbound on blah, blah, with his two children when he passed two vehicles, nearly causing one of them to run off the road. So I don't think they were on the side of the road. I think. He just passed them, but he did a crappy job of passing them and almost caused them to run off the side of the road. So he was very transparent about the fact, like, hey, I almost caused these dudes to run off the road. That's on me. I'm mad talking his verbs. Right, right. I think he transparently said, like, this started when I accidentally or I did, like, almost run these dudes off the road.
Riley Bowman: Okay. Well, yeah. So something there. And here's the thing. It sounds like maybe he just made an honest, simple mistake.
Jacob Paulsen: Maybe.
Riley Bowman: That nobody actually got hurt as a result of.
Jacob Paulsen: Right.
Riley Bowman: Okay. And we make mistakes as drivers sometimes. That's just the way it goes. We do our best. We obviously want to be safe on the roads and make good decisions. But in this case, something happened there, and it was maybe a little iffy. In this case, with this gentleman and these two other brothers, but they decide to chase him down. That's basically what happens next.
Jacob Paulsen: They follow him around.
Riley Bowman: So they follow him and they are clearly signaling to get him to stop. This is actually the article says this, by the way, is reported on ValleyCentral.com, which sounds like a kind of a local news article. Website there but uh anyway they get him to stop and so he pulls over and he gets out of his truck.
Jacob Paulsen: Yes yeah and this is this is maybe that crux point where it's what not to do right right but it's also semi-understandables like these guys are signaling to me they're telling me to stop i know i pissed them off feeling bad about it maybe uh you know maybe i should stop and apologize you know maybe maybe if i just tell these guys my bad i'm sorry you know sure that i can de-escalate this and so i guess what i'm trying to say is it's you know it's easy to second to in hindsight look at his decision like dude if you just stayed in your truck man like you know some people would have less holes in them now yeah but in the moment you can see how any one of us might make that easy to make decision of like hey i'm gonna talk to these guys you know i'm gonna i'm to see if i can smooth things up yeah
Riley Bowman: It again yes it is easy to see how you would maybe make a similar you know decision like this um. And, you know, I'm not going to say that there's never a reason to get out of your vehicle, but what you definitely want to be doing is trying to read the situation, read body language, try to ascertain what's going on and what their intentions are before you exit a vehicle. Because as soon as we exit the vehicle, we're, we are removing that protective barrier that at least for the moment is protecting us from elements of the outside world. Uh and so as soon as you're outside that vehicle all all bets are are off uh and so that's what happens here is they begin assaulting him uh and it's apparent like that they they this is not just a minor thing because get this his extensive injuries it says were his he had injuries to his eye socket uh multiple bumps on his head and small alterations on his face but i mean as soon as you start like that one right there. I clue in on the eye socket because when, you know, when we're talking about the use of deadly force in particular and defensive life, one critical element as far as whether it's justified, whether, you know, the threshold has been raised to a level where deadly force may be appropriate to use is when it's not just a threat of death against you, but could also be a great bodily injury.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah.
Riley Bowman: Which is...
Jacob Paulsen: This would seem to be, yeah.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, I mean, because if you have damage to your eye socket, like usually we're talking about a broken orbital bone...
Jacob Paulsen: Bone, something.
Riley Bowman: Or potentially injuries to the eye. I mean, usually it's going to have injuries to the eye included as part of that. And that is... In most cases, uh, under the law defined as being, yeah, it could be one of those things that's great bodily injury because it could be permanently, uh, life changing for an individual to lose sight for instance. Okay. And so that's what I clue in on. It's like, yeah, bumps on his head and lacerations on his face. Like that doesn't sound good, but okay. He's been injured severely apparently to his eye socket. That's, that's a problem, right? So during this assault, He goes back to his vehicle. He grabs from the center console a .40 caliber handgun and fires multiple shots. He hits one of the brothers. It says they have gunshot wounds to the forearm and armpit, and the other brother has a gunshot wound to his stomach. So he ends up shooting both of them. And apparently they're both going to be fine.
Jacob Paulsen: They're in stable condition.
Riley Bowman: Now understand there's one more element to this story, And that this gentleman that does a shooting here, our victim, he has two children, a nine-year-old and a 10-year-old child with him in his vehicle as this is all taking place. So that's another piece. It's like, okay, now we've got to take into account. We're not just talking about me driving myself and whether I get out of a vehicle or not. It's also that I've got not just another adult, but I've got children that are dependent upon me for their safety in the vehicle as well. I've got to be mindful of that.
Jacob Paulsen: I guess I'm thinking a lot about sometimes it's less you know More what you do and more how you do it and so if you if you feel compelled to get out of the car and i don't know any of the circumstances i don't know the orientation i don't know where they were where they were pulled over i don't have video i mean we're just making this up yep and we're from i shouldn't say we're making it up we're we're filling in some gaps that aren't here in the news story but i think that you know how i get out of the car uh how i position myself relative to these two people maybe maybe i initially get out of the car but then they start like get closing distance and you know getting close to my personal space and I'm like oh I'm going to get back on the car now or I you know keep the car between me and them but there's two of them so that's kind of problematic right so I guess I'm just trying to say is um I think that sometimes you had to say, okay, well, if I'm going to do X, if I feel compelled to do X, then what are the ways I can mitigate risk that I can reduce the danger in my action? And yes, I agree, though, that knowing that there's young kids in the car changes the perspective of things. When you're moving, there's just so little. They're signaling you to stock. There's so little that can go wrong while you're driving. What are they going to do, ram you? Right? So you have so much on your side in that moment. You have the ability to drive to a public place, to a police station. You have your phone, presumably. You can call 911. Hey, these guys are upset with me. They're telling me. They're following me. I just feel like you have a lot of alternatives to pulling over and getting assaulted. Yeah, that's less than ideal. And it's worth mentioning that when it describes him reaching and getting the gun out of the center console, it says, while they continued to assault him. so he's trying to like break the parent
Riley Bowman: That he is he's basically fought his way back.
Jacob Paulsen: Yes to where that gun is yeah and he's and he's opened a door into a car that where there's two kids and he's you know probably all bloodied up and this none of this is fun and pleasant so the other lesson here is man that gun and that console not doing you a lot of good right now as you're getting beat up right now we have to go back like with that's that's the thing is we get back to that that's less than ideal uh i mean what if he hadn't been able to we don't know where I mean, in my mind, you know, I see these two brothers and sort of like, you know, that dude almost ran us off the road. Let's go beat his, you know, like, they're just like, we're going to go, we're going to go prove, you know, show this guy a lesson. Yep. And we're going to beat him up real good, you know? So.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. Yeah, that was another reason why this is in the what not to do category is not carrying his gun on himself, on his person. So a lot of people will have a truck gun, so to speak, or a gun that's designated for being in the center console or something like that. We've spoken out against that for years about not being an advisable solution for carrying of a gun for a variety of reasons. I mean, one, what's happening with that gun when you're not in the vehicle? And in this case, even for just a few moments, he gets out of the vehicle. His kids are still in the vehicle. There's a gun in the vehicle, right? You know, like, and I don't care who you are, but, you know, especially young kids, and these are young kids, any amount of time, any amount, seconds is too long. Like an unsecured gun is, that's too much. Okay. In a situation like that. Um, and, and these kinds of things happen so quickly. Like I, I've heard people talk about how they'll get in the vehicle, they'll take their gun off of their waistband and stick it, you know, in the cup holder or in the center glove box or, you know, or under the seat, or they've got a little magnet, you know, mount and all that. So they'll take their gun off when they get in the vehicle because it's, it's more comfortable that way for them to drive. Here's the problem with that. Okay. So I want you to think about this because I've had this debate with people before. They're like, well, yeah, what's the matter with that? In fact, we were approached by a company that wanted to help market a product that was basically that very thing. Take a gun out of your holster, stick it in this holster that's designed to fit in your cup holder. And they didn't appreciate our feedback that we don't really think that's a smart thing because these sorts of situations develop quickly when they do develop and you're not going to have the wherewithal to remember a lot of times like, oh crap, okay, I got to grab my gun and stick it in the holster because the situation is developing too fast. So now you are that person that's in a fight, a struggle for your life, having to fight back to where the gun is just so you can defend yourself.
Jacob Paulsen: Not good. But I, yeah, I know we're maybe spending too much time on this one, but.
Riley Bowman: That's a good one.
Jacob Paulsen: We got a comment the other day. We have an article on our website published many years ago called Your Car is Not a Holster. Yep. And we got a comment from somebody who basically proposed this ridiculous, complex way of staging their gun in a way that would meet all the criteria that we basically line out in that article. In that article, we basically hear all the problems with all your car holsters. And this person's like, well, what if I do this with this and I attach this and this massive, complex thing? And I replied to the comment. I said, you're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist to begin with.
Riley Bowman: Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: That just put the gun in your holster on your body the way you carry it around and leave it there while you're in the car. So I think that would be my two senses, that if you really have a carry system that makes it so hard for you to keep the gun on you while you're driving, maybe your holster just sucks. Now, some of you are more, and the guy in the store, we don't know, but it might be that he doesn't transfer it back and forth because of a comfort issue or something. He just permanently maintains a gun in the console of his car, In which case, that's just also horribly irresponsible. You're asking for that gun to be stolen, first and foremost. And yeah, I just, I don't, I can't get there. I'm not there.
Riley Bowman: Yep. I'm right there with you. Well, that was, I think, a really great way of kicking out this episode. I mean, yeah, we did spend some time on that particular story, but there's a lot that's packaged into it, a lot of lessons that can be taken from that, and that's why I wanted to feature that. Let's move on to an article published on our friend's website, USA Carry. It says here the title is Homeowner Warned Intruder. He was armed before fatal shooting during a break-in attempt. This happened in Somerset Township, Pennsylvania. Uh, so basically what you have here is a man was awakened by loud banging. All right. So he's hearing loud banging on his kitchen window. Uh, he gets up and, and, you know, he, he calls, uh, police, you know, he calls dispatch saying, Hey, there, someone seems like they're trying to break into my house. Yeah. So it sounded like he actually tried to place the call before what happens next.
Jacob Paulsen: Yes. Identifying. Right.
Riley Bowman: So it was really good. I think that's actually really smart. I mean, because before really taking action, I mean, he's like, hey, let's get authorities on their way. I mean, the sooner we can communicate, especially with law enforcement, the sooner they're going to get there because it's going to be minutes.
Jacob Paulsen: Clock's ticking, right?
Riley Bowman: And so getting that clock going sooner rather than later is important. So he's talking to the dispatch. Banging's still happening. And eventually this person breaks the kitchen window and they attempt to enter the residence. The homeowner says he warned the individual, the person breaking in, that he was armed. And when the intruder continued coming into the home towards the homeowner, the homeowner shot him. Uh, he was, uh, found by, uh, responding law enforcement near the rear of the residence with an apparent gunshot wound to the head. It says he's pronounced dead on the scene. So pretty, uh, pretty wild story. I mean, to go from, Hey, someone's breaking into my house. Hey, can you get somebody over here to now you're warning that person that you're armed? Now you're shooting that person. I mean, it just kind of keeps, I think it's a good example of kind of how it, you know, it didn't go from zero to a hundred necessarily. Right off the bat it's sort of like this guy was trying to go through all the proper steps yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: No one who who physically breaks their way in through a window is in the right mind i mean this you know windows are hard to break and so i mean it doesn't say if he had an object or a crow bar i don't know but i mean he spent some period of time trying to get through this window uh not trying other like it seems very like kitchen window like bam like the enough time that person can wake up, make a phone call, retrieve a gun, go monitor the situation, tell him like, go away. And then eventually he comes through the glass. So now where I think that there's some interesting commentary or debate here is that I'm going to make an assumption that I don't know for a fact, but I'm assuming that this person was shot while they were in the process of coming through the window. Because the body was found with a headshot wound outside. So I'm assuming this person did not get shot while they were already in the house and then exit through the window with the headshot wound. So I'm just assuming that this person's midway through a window, in the process of coming through the window, when they get shot in the head. And that's an angle that maybe facilitates or increases the odds of you getting shot in the head.
Riley Bowman: Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: So that's interesting to me. and I'm not suggesting good or bad, but I think that it's worth talking about, right? And we see this a lot with like a doorway. Someone's coming through the door. Someone's banging on the door. They're coming through the window, you know? So I think that someone could ask, well, do I have to wait for them to come through the window and actually be in my house? Like, what does that look like? What's the, you know, how able am I to defend the barricade before they really become a threat? And I think that's a really viable question to ask. And the answer here is probably this is very justified. And there's some variables that we would have to potentially consider. But I appreciate that this is a guy, a homeowner who probably is saying, hey, once he's in the kitchen standing up and looking at me, my security is greatly diminished. My ability to defend myself is greatly diminished. Everything gets real bad in that moment. So a whole bunch of really good judgment is used. No one shot through the window when it's just getting banged on. We wait until there's true jeopardy. It's like, okay, this guy's coming through now. He's going to be in the house in a moment. Now is the time to take action. So anyway, I guess I had some comments there about the timing of the shot.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. The one interesting thing here is that aspect of giving a verbal warning, right? Nobody's obligated to issue a warning. I'm not aware of any, it certainly has happened in Pennsylvania. I'm not aware of anything in Pennsylvania. And I'm not aware of really anything in any state that would say you must give a warning. No. You know, there's no such thing. Right? Right. So, but, you know, one thing that is good about that in cases like these and in really potentially true of any case, although, I mean, you certainly I've seen officers get themselves in trouble because they are so focused on trying to issue warnings that they end up, you know, failing to actually take action. But so that's something that could also apply here that, you know, you could, you just need to be mindful of, of making sure you take action when you need to take action. But issuing a warning does... Least increase the probability that you will appear as the innocent party, you know, as part of a situation like this. Now, this one's a lot more clear, you know, because we're dealing with a, you know, this is a castle doctrine sort of level, you know, incident.
Jacob Paulsen: Right. One of the most like obvious, innocent and imminent kind of situations ever. Right.
Riley Bowman: My point is just simply that we are never, ever obligated to issue a verbal warning, but you certainly may do so when appropriate. And doing so certainly cannot hurt. And in best case scenario, we'll make your case appear a lot better for you.
Jacob Paulsen: Verbal warnings serve a lot of great things. I mean, in addition to the legal side of this, this idea of basically it strengthens the self-defense claim. It also reduces ambiguity, right? Like any chance of like, well, maybe this person did not have really bad intentions. Well, I issued warnings.
Riley Bowman: Yep.
Jacob Paulsen: Like, doesn't that remove some of this ambiguity, right? So there's a tactical side of this too, right? It's tactically good because it helps me reduce any ambiguity and clarify for me the true nature of the threat.
Riley Bowman: Yep. And I could tell you, I mean, nobody... Nobody wants to shoot an innocent person. And let me, let me, that, I'm not suggesting someone breaking into your house is innocent. However, there have been plenty of instances where somebody who is highly intoxicated or under the influence of drugs is confused about where they are, think that they have arrived at their home or the place they stay and can't get in. So they force their way in and get themselves shot. And those are what you would call lawful but awful situations, particularly for the homeowner that defends their home and defends themselves from that unlawful occupant, someone who has entered and occupied that space now. But at the same time, if you found out, they're like, this is just a person that was confused about where they were and not necessarily someone that came there to do you harm. I'd feel worse about that. I'd be like, dang, there's no joy in taking a life or shooting anybody anytime. There is especially no joy in shooting somebody that is just mistaken.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, finds out they had the wrong address or whatever the thing was. Yeah, no. I mean.
Riley Bowman: And so that just goes along with your talking about issuing a warning.
Jacob Paulsen: Remove the ambiguity.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, yeah, yeah. I think it's worth considering. Let's move right along. This is an interesting story. We don't often feature stories out of Canada.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, probably for more than one reason.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. One, there's not many instances, at least we come across, and probably because it's a lot more difficult to defend yourself.
Jacob Paulsen: There's a smaller population. There's way less guns in the country, and significantly more difficult to have a handgun, particularly, which would be available to you when you're outside the home.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. So this one comes out of Ontario, Canada, uh specifically the town or city of bonn uh ontario canada and uh this actually was multiple intruders that uh broke their way into a person's home it's about 12 50 a.m um there's some surveillance video by the way the video's good yeah you can you can check it out for yourself, It's right here in this article. This is on cp24.com. And as is the case, we always, you know, particularly those of you that are catching the podcast, you want to check the show notes. You can see links to these stories in the show notes. So you can go see these things for yourself. But you have multiple, multiple intruders, multiple that are, you know, coming to this house, breaking into the house. At least one of them is armed with a gun.
Jacob Paulsen: You can see it in the video. Yep.
Riley Bowman: It's very clear. And so in this case, you have the homeowner who becomes aware of the break-in, is able to retrieve his own legally lawfully owned and stored firearm, which by the way, means a lot in Canada compared to most places here in the US. Just the way their laws have gone over the last number of years, just owning and possessing a gun is a lot more difficult. Owning the types of guns you can own is a lot different than what we are able to own here, especially now. And the fact that it's got to be stored properly. I don't know this for sure, for sure, but from some things, I'm a member of a Facebook group. Why? Just because of curiosity. And I don't do a whole lot there, but occasionally I have perused posts. The whole Facebook group, I can't remember what it's called, but it's like something like Canadians for gun rights or something like that. And. They talk about these issues in there, and that's why I check in every once in a while, because there's some interesting things that come up, and they talk about how, you know, gun's got to be unloaded, it's got to be in a safe, you know, it's got to, you know, it's basically got to be locked up.
Jacob Paulsen: There's several steps to being able to deploy.
Riley Bowman: So I mentioned that because the homeowner in this case was able to retrieve his gun, which almost certainly was, it was in a storage locker or safe or something of some kind and unloaded. So retrieved his gun, loaded his gun, managed to then defend himself, his family, using that gun, striking and I think killing one of the, no, let's see, where is it here? The status.
Jacob Paulsen: I got dropped off at a hospital. I don't remember his status.
Riley Bowman: We have so many stories we're covering today, like the ones that make it and those that don't. But yeah, it just says he was dropped off at a hospital, the gunshot wound. So this guy is able to do all that. And it's unfortunate that he had to go through all those steps just to defend himself, but he was able to defend himself successfully.
Jacob Paulsen: Something that it doesn't state in the article, but when you watch a surveillance video, I found noteworthy is that these three individuals, What you kind of have is they pull up in a truck in the front of the house. And one of the bad guys goes to the house and kind of gets his hand on the door, kind of like he's ready to do the break-in. And he signals the other two, like, yeah, let's do this. Like, this is the house kind of thing. And then they show up. And then as they force their way in, they call out police.
Riley Bowman: Oh, yeah, yeah, yeah. Police, police.
Jacob Paulsen: And so I thought that was interesting too, right? As a tactic to try and kind of catch you off guard. These guys don't look like police, I assure you. They look like people breaking into your house. But it's not the first time we've seen that either. We've seen news stories like this before where – bad guys try and masquerade as cops in order to gain entry with less resistance. Yep. So, you know, I think maybe what you have here, though, what I appreciate or what could be helpful for this guy, because the time from these guys going in the house to coming out based on the camera surveillance video is not a significant amount of time. Yeah. So this cat retrieved his gun, got it loaded up and fired pretty fast. But it could have been he had a heads up warning because he has a ring doorbell camera. Yep. The surveillance video or ring type doorbell camera, the surveillance video is from the doorbell cam. And so maybe he's getting a motion alert. Someone's on your front porch. Oh, who's that? Oh, what's going on here? I think I'm going to go grab my gun. I don't know what's up with this. Oh, crap. They just broke in.
Riley Bowman: Yep.
Jacob Paulsen: So anyway, a little bit of a sales pitch there for the value of having some sort of motion-based camera at the front door.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. Another fascinating thing about this story is the fact that you have Ontario Premier Doug Ford. So he's basically the governor, if you will, of Ontario. And he's congratulating the resident, the town or city of Vaughan resident who shot this intruder. He said this, and I think it's great. As for the person who was defending his family, he was a legal gun owner, stored properly. Congratulations. Yeah, I'm glad you shot the guy. Teach the rest of these robbers. these guys they need to be shot as far as i'm concerned they're coming through the front door to hurt your family he's not wrong about anything he goes on to.
Jacob Paulsen: Say that he wishes he'd been shot
Riley Bowman: More shot them more yeah like.
Jacob Paulsen: I wish he'd shot him more times
Riley Bowman: Yeah this is a government leader here's the thing this is what you know when you're reading the article you get one perspective and the one perspective that is missed big time is they're like hey you know all hail all praises you know, this guy for doing, you know, doing so good and defending himself and his family. You know, like, and he was doing it with a legally owned gun that was properly stored. And I'm, Why did he have to obey those stringent laws in the first place when clearly your strict gun control in Canada did not protect him in the first place because you had this criminal, at least one of them. And it kind of looks like there's two of them because one has got his hand in his waistband. Like he's also carrying a handgun.
Jacob Paulsen: Of some sort, right?
Riley Bowman: The criminals have guns. so that's that's to me the the true story to this as an example is canada you ought to look at this and be ashamed of yourselves because all the gun control you've passed doesn't stop the criminals from doing what they're doing and you just made it more difficult for this homeowner to defend himself yeah he should be congratulated because he did all that regardless despite of the laws and the requirements uh so yes kudos all the kudos he he deserves but it shouldn't have had to be it shouldn't have been that stringent for him that difficult that onerous in the first place.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah pretty crazy
Riley Bowman: Yeah, Back to America, where it's a lot easier to defend yourself, and we have no shortage of examples of people needing to do just that. This is Raleigh, but it's being reported out of Memphis. So Raleigh must be like a suburb or, I mean, as far as I know. Because it says Memphis police are searching for two suspects.
Jacob Paulsen: And the website is News Channel 3 in Memphis. Yeah.
Riley Bowman: But we got two suspects accused of shooting at a father and son after breaking into their home. Uh, so about 10 or nine 30, uh, at night. Okay. Uh, it's kind of interesting. So there's a knock at the door and the father and son are in the living room. And it says that it says that the father said his son ran into his room after telling him that someone's at the door. So, so the father's like, Hey, someone's at the door. Something seems off, something suspicious, whatever. So I wanted to point that out right off the bat. Like I thought this little detail is nice that he's like, son, uh, go to your room, get out of here kind of thing.
Jacob Paulsen: Yes, yes, yes, yes.
Riley Bowman: Right? And it's sort of like, You know, we've, we've talked about the isolate the family, defend the room kind of concept. This isn't a true example of that, but that's, that's part of it is where is my family? Where are my loved ones? Making sure they're accounted for and that they're somewhere safe, you know, while you're focused on defending your family. Right. And so, um, but anyway, the father then, as he approaches the door, an armed man kicks in the door and points a handgun at him.
Jacob Paulsen: A black one specifically.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, specifically. black i mean most are black but okay just.
Jacob Paulsen: Point it out
Riley Bowman: Uh yeah points a black handgun at him and tells him tells so the armed man is telling the father get down um so here's what's fascinating about this dude comes right in barging right in points a gun at you a black one says get down and the next thing we have in the story is it says the father runs into his bedroom and grabs a handgun and then begins shooting at the suspect.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, so we don't have the gun on us, so there's a little lesson for that. Yeah. But yeah, instead of complying, like someone's pointing a gun at you, I don't know the distance, right? Are you two feet away, 20 feet away? In my house, I could be... I mean, I could probably be 20 feet away from the front door and still see someone coming through it. Anyway, so we don't know the distance. But, yeah, the decision's made. Like, I'm not going to comply with this command to get down. I'm going to run over here into my bedroom and grab my gun. Don't know where the gun is in the bedroom, but must have been retrieved with relative speed.
Riley Bowman: Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: I would say. And turn around and start shooting at the bad guy.
Riley Bowman: Yep. And it turns out there's actually at least two bad guys because now it says he begins shooting at the suspects. both of which run out of the home now at this point and into a residence that says behind his. And as of right now, Memphis police are still searching for these suspects. Nobody injured, as far as we know, throughout this incident, which is fine. You know, that's if a self-defense, including use of deadly force with a gun or whatever, results in nobody getting hurt. I'm cool with that. less cool when we fire shots that aren't accounted for because we don't know where those go and you know every every bullet's got an attorney attached to it potentially but um but in this case man some shots are fired you know seems like a pretty gutsy call in the moment to ignore the command to get down and instead run to your room and grab a gun but it seems to work out in his favor in this case shots are fired the bad guys run off all is well the house is secure again yeah well said so pretty interesting story, Next up, what's our next one, Jacob?
Jacob Paulsen: Oh, I wasn't ready.
Riley Bowman: This one's out of Chicago.
Jacob Paulsen: Oh, yes, yes, yes.
Riley Bowman: 16-year-old armed robber.
Jacob Paulsen: This is not a home invasion. We've had a couple home invasions in a row now. This one is just an on-the-street armed robbery. So, dude's out and about. I don't know. Probably walking his dog. It seems like most of these Chicago people get assaulted when they're walking dogs.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, just as he's approached. So, I mean, when I think of approached, I'm not. I mean I guess he could be in a car and be approached but.
Jacob Paulsen: Well he could be trying to get into his car could be you know shoveling his snow on a sidewalk for all I know watering his plants but he's approached by a 16 year old and 16 year old's armed 16 year old boy pulls out a gun and attempts to rob him police said so he takes out his own handgun and shoots him in the chest so this is interesting what I find most fascinating about this is that we often talk about draw speed and this idea of you know can like it's it's pretty difficult to draw and fire a gun faster than the person who is just pointing it at you can just press the trigger. Right. So it's generally not considered a best practice without having some sort of distraction or some way to purchase some time. Our friend John likes to say, you know, it's not your turn yet. Yeah. You got to wait your turn. So, so I don't know the specifics. I mean, maybe something did happen that created an opportunity, but one way or another, you know, guns and guns getting pointed at you, by the 16-year-old who wants the money, and you say, sure, here you go, and bam, you deploy the gun and get a shot off.
Riley Bowman: That's pretty much the story. But, you know, some interesting things from this. We are dealing with a 16-year-old suspect. Okay. This continues to be a theme. We've covered a lot of stories over the last couple of years where it just is very common that we are seeing armed robbery attempts, carjacking attempts, home intrusions.
Jacob Paulsen: Yes.
Riley Bowman: That where the suspects are not adults. They are children.
Jacob Paulsen: We're going to have a 15-year-old shooter here in a minute and a different story.
Riley Bowman: Exactly. And so a 16-year-old suspect, he gets shot and he dies. And that is unfortunate. And chances are there's a family somewhere talking about, you know, little Johnny who really wasn't as bad a person as what, you know, the media is making him out to be. But the reality is, is I don't care who you are. I don't care how old you are. Okay. I mean, that's an overgeneralization because, you know, I don't know. I, there's a, there's a point where I'm going to look at you and you're, you're, what is it? Nine-year-old kid, a seven-year-old kid, a five-year-old kid, you know, like there's context here, obviously. But, you know, if you are an able-bodied, uh, decently sized human being with a gun in your hand, you are a threat to me. Yes.
Jacob Paulsen: This is hard because this is one of those scenarios where I'm sort of like, I don't, I mean, I'd have to be there to know what I'd do. Yeah. Right? Because I'd like to believe, I don't guess I have data on this, but I'd like to believe that a large number of armed robberies end with no shots fired. Someone just gives the dude the money and they leave. Right? But we obviously know plenty of scenarios where bad guys have gotten what they wanted and still decided to shoot people just for what seems to be no reason at all. So if you're the victim in this scenario, how do you know? How do you know if this is the scenario where the bad guy is just going to take my wallet and take off or the bad guy is going to take my wallet and then shoot me in the face? I don't know. So I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't know. This is one of those where I hear it and I think, I don't know. I don't know what I would do. Would I just hope for the best on this one and be like, let's just hope I can just cancel some cards and move on on this one? Or am I like, nah, this is going to go bad. This is something's up here. Whatever thing is causing me to believe that money will not solve this one. This is going to require me versus you.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. Yeah. Yeah, no, unfortunately, I do think that we have to make the assumption that because we, the answer to what you just asked is we don't know what that other person is going to do, what they're willing to do. It could be as simple as, hey, no witnesses. So I'm going to, I'm going to take you out. I am still a little bit haunted by the Tupelo, Mississippi shooting, convenience store shooting a few years back. And I remember Matthew and I, uh, years ago talked about this particular incident where, uh, the guy, you know, the, the, uh, cashier at the convenience store did everything, did everything right. He complied, he got down, he showed his hands, he showed him where the till was with the money, um, all that. The guy got what he wanted and shot him. And and later what apparently voiced his reasoning and he said i just wanted to see what it felt like to kill a man yeah you know and like that that's the kind of person that you may very well be dealing with and so uh i i'm always going to err on the side of caution and not making any assumptions as far as their intent other than there's a high chance or probability that they are going to harm me uh in which case if i'm going to defend myself i got to wait for my turn i gotta find an opening i gotta make an opening i gotta create a distraction uh what because you don't have to necessarily passively wait for your turn there's things you might do to create an opportunity sure and take action sure so give that some thought yeah jacob you wrote the story uh this is our next one out of akron ohio uh title is akron road rage shooting so we have a another road rage incident we let off today's episode with one what this defensive gun use teaches concealed carriers. You published this actually just a couple days ago.
Jacob Paulsen: This one's a little bit bizarre. And there's some facts in here that actually don't reconcile really well for me, but it is what it is. So you have a DoorDash driver. He's out making deliveries, I assume. And he's got his girlfriend with him, which, hey, if I was a DoorDash driver, I think I'd totally just hang out with my girl while I was driving around. That sounds like a great idea. Yeah. Why not? Like, hey, let's go make some deliveries, make some money while we hang out. Maybe we'll steal a couple of fries from the bag here and there. I guess I shouldn't be a DoorDash driver. and I'd be stealing fries.
Riley Bowman: It's their version of a date night.
Jacob Paulsen: Anyway, they're out doing the DoorDash thing and they notice someone kind of tailgating them pretty hard. So they decide, hey, you know what we're going to do? We're going to pull over to the side of the road and let this person pass us because they must be in a hurry. They think we're driving too slow. So we're just going to do the good thing and pull over and get out of the way, which is a somewhat reasonable thing.
Riley Bowman: Like that's probably the most reasonable anti-road rage thing you could do.
Jacob Paulsen: Right. It's not how most of the stories we read on this podcast go.
Riley Bowman: Like, hey, this dude seems like he's in a hurry. He's on our butt. Well, let's just let him go past.
Jacob Paulsen: Let's just pull over.
Riley Bowman: And just be chill. Because we got all the bag fries we want.
Jacob Paulsen: Right. That's right. Bag fries, man. I'm telling you. If I was a DoorDash driver, your food would not come to you complete if there were fries in the bag. Yeah.
Riley Bowman: I'm sorry. This is an interesting contrast to that other story that we led the podcast with because that's one where eventually the person does pull over and stop, but he's being chased down at that point. In this case, they're like, hey, man.
Jacob Paulsen: They don't know that it's personal.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. I mean, it's just interesting because you just don't know what's going to happen. It's just quite a contrast there in terms of outcomes.
Jacob Paulsen: There's not a perceivable conflict based on what they told police.
Riley Bowman: Correct.
Jacob Paulsen: They're just like, oh, we're just getting telegated. Let's move over. Let's person.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. Now we're really burying the lead because what happens next, Jacob?
Jacob Paulsen: Oh, geez. So the people tailgating the DoorDash driver are also a set of brothers. Speaking of brothers, not our first brother's road rage story here. And nor do we know if there's any road rage. I shouldn't have said that. But we have brothers. And they, I think, age 17 and 15. Yeah, the 17-year-old is driving and the 15-year-old is in the passenger seat. And as they pass the now pulled over DoorDash driver and his girlfriend, the 15-year-old in said passenger seat opens fire. on the DoorDash driver and girlfriend as they go by. And the DoorDash driver... With presumably impressive reaction time, decides he's getting shot at, and he doesn't like that. So he draws his gun, deploys it, and shoots back. Now, it's not clear if the bad guy and brother were stopped when the shooting happens, or if they were just literally driving on by. We know that the DoorDash driver, he took shots in the windshield, incoming fire, in his windshield. So that presumes a certain angle of attack.
Riley Bowman: Yep.
Jacob Paulsen: And then he fired back unclear if he shot through the windshield or through a side, not clear. But he fired back while stationary, not like giving chase and firing back at the bad guys kind of thing. The DoorDash driver then at that moment decides, okay, looks like they're gone. Let's get out of here. And they drive to a Circle K, very specifically mentioned in the news story, where they confirm that they're safe. They're okay. Neither DoorDash guy or girlfriend are shot, and they call the cops. About the same time they're calling the cops, however, the 15-year-old shooter calls the cops to tell them his brother's been shot. His 17-year-old getaway driver brother has been shot in the back of the head, and he ends up dying. And they're in a stolen car, which is the other detail that could be mentioned here. So you have 17 and 15-year-old brothers steal a car, have a gun, shoot at some random people who kindly got out of the way so they could drive by, and 17-year-old boy takes the shot and dies. Rough way to grow up as the 15-year-old who fired the shots.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. Unfortunately, that's the reality of the world that we are in in many respects. These are two juveniles.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah.
Riley Bowman: They've clearly stolen a vehicle. They have a gun. And so what we're seeing more and more of is this pattern of just reckless behavior of, hey, let's go steal a car so we can cruise around and do whatever and commit all sorts of crimes, robberies. You know, both of people on the street, carjackings, robbing convenience stores and other places of business. And you know of course that's the whole point of stealing the car in the first place is so you have that that getaway vehicle that can't be traced to you uh and and all the while like what what other kind of mischief can we cause it's sort of like a it's it's basically it's grand theft auto you know being played out in real life that uh unfortunately a lot of these young kids uh and some of them there's certainly going to be some some gang affiliation that is likely to be a part of stuff like this, where it's like, you know, they got to, fully initiated into that gang. And as part of that is they got to prove themselves to that gang through the commission of various acts of crime and violence, including using a gun and, you know, shooting people or whatever. Right. And so it is sad that there are children that are growing up in a world and in environments where that is the case, but that is the case. And that's exactly what you don't know is going on like i i because of things like this i i i think a lot more about what i do on the road and my interaction with other drivers because you don't know who is another car or what they're willing to do.
Jacob Paulsen: And you don't know what their plan is they're just going to fire a couple shots and then drive off yeah but you all you know is there a shattered glass really loud noises like uh you know there's debris everywhere like there's basically smoke in your face and broken glass in your face and for all you know like someone's out of their car and like approaching you at this point right so i think hats off to the doordash driver very quickly deploys a gun and gets some shots off unaware of what's going on and as soon as he i would presume i i mean this the way i'm seeing it my mind play out as soon as he sees that the threat is gone like okay like i fired those guys but they're they've driven off they're gone like boom like okay cool gun away and let's go get let's let's get out of here let's get off the x let's go somewhere safe and call 911 like everything about our door dash drivers actions seem super spot on the only problem i foresee but for him is he's probably not going to be driving door dash much longer since it's against their policy for him to be armed.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. Yeah, I think that's a small price to pay, honestly. Oh, sure.
Jacob Paulsen: Find new employment.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, yeah. I think you're spot on with the analysis. I think that this person demonstrated a lot of correct actions in the heat of, in the face of pressure. So that was pretty impressive to read about. And I really enjoyed this story. Let's move now to Tulsa, Oklahoma.
Jacob Paulsen: Sean Six.
Riley Bowman: Sean Six. Got to talk about Sean Six.
Jacob Paulsen: Man, they want us to talk about Sean Six. You know, most news stories, like the headline will be something like elderly man or man or Tulsa resident shot at, you know, kind of thing. And then in the news story, you get the name. but the headline of this news story is sean six deadly shooting investigation details from tulsa police yep and they mentioned sean six like 22 times in the in the news story they even linked like a previous news story about the same you know crime the same shooting and it also talks about sean six like right out of the gate apparently
Riley Bowman: This this dude is.
Jacob Paulsen: Somebody a local celebrity i mean we don't like they you're supposed to know who this is and so for those you're in tulsa you should probably send us an email or comment on our page and tell us who the crap sean six is that everyone's supposed to know who he is yeah
Riley Bowman: The story basically goes like this it sounds like it's a domestic situation right where uh his boyfriend and girlfriend sean's the boyfriend he's got his girlfriend um they're having some difficulties yeah they live together uh and uh they're having some difficulties and and what's being reported is different than what the family of sean six is saying um but uh what's was officially reported and stated by police is that due to the difficulties between Sean and his girlfriend, he grabs some belongings and moves out of the home. Or I don't know if it's a home or apartment or what. But he moves out. Later that day, that night, I think he goes back, uh to or actually no it says it's early and early tuesday morning on the day this happens so it's in it's in the early morning um but he goes back to the home uh apparently to maybe collect some more belongings or maybe he's i don't know we don't know exactly all the motive but he goes back and during the time that he is away the girlfriend has a friend presumably is it a male friend maybe that's unclear yeah but she has a friend yep who comes and stays there with her um and uh you know and so yeah she she's got somebody there with her uh sean apparently is not happy about whatever is happening or taking place uh basically he he you know she has changed the locks by the way of the home while he's gone while he's gone so again he's moved out and she's like we are done locks are changed so he can't get back into the house um and uh so he tries to break his way into the house and he successfully does yeah he gets in there and then starts threatening the girlfriend and this other person that's in the home uh and that's when he gets shot yeah presumably.
Jacob Paulsen: Maybe by the friend
Riley Bowman: Yeah again some of the details there it.
Jacob Paulsen: Sounds to me sort of like uh yeah my crazy boyfriend if he comes back here i'm scared so i'm gonna call up my friend who's got a gun knows how to use it my friend's gonna come over and he's got the gun or she's got whatever and yeah oh there's the bad boyfriend breaking in like you know do the thing i asked you to come over here to do protect me That's how it feels to me.
Riley Bowman: Right, right. That's kind of, I mean, that would be one plausible explanation.
Jacob Paulsen: Sure.
Riley Bowman: Maybe this is a man that she was cheating on her boyfriend with. Sure. I don't know.
Jacob Paulsen: We don't even know whose house it is.
Riley Bowman: It doesn't even matter, though. Those details don't matter because what you have is Sean moves out of the house. Girlfriend is staying there. She is now, like, that's her habitation.
Jacob Paulsen: Habitation.
Riley Bowman: Glowing thing. Right? Like, he's not welcome there. She's made that apparent by changing locks. So either way, he breaks his way into the house. That is, in most states under the law, unlawful entry. And it does state here, Jacob, that he bypasses the girlfriend and goes back and finds the shooter, who's presumably a man, which is, he's located in the back bedroom. And then that's where Sean gets shot. Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: I appreciate, this is an interesting phrase from Captain Muhlenberg, I presume captain of the police department. He says, if you boil away the emotional stuff, then we are talking about the actual situation where he kicks in the door, goes after somebody, then he gets shot by that person.
Riley Bowman: And in Oklahoma, like many other states, with castle doctrine type laws, that's pretty clear cut. I mean, that is a home intrusion, an unlawful entry into a home. And if you're going after a person, that constitutes a threat against a person or any other occupant of that home. I mean, how it would be defined here in Colorado is unlawful entry into a dwelling. And when a reasonable belief is that that unlawfully entered person might harm anybody in the dwelling, that's basically what has to exist for use of deadly force in defense.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, pretty much threshold.
Riley Bowman: Basically, the captain of the police is saying this is a clear-cut case.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, yeah. Well, I think it talks about investigation still ongoing.
Riley Bowman: Sure, sure, sure. there's.
Jacob Paulsen: Some things like they're still getting you know still investigating still getting you know gathering facts but the basic fact pattern that's looks like
Riley Bowman: That's what i hear when i when you read his words is like dude broke in dude went after somebody dude get shot yeah it's like.
Jacob Paulsen: That that's that's how this goes
Riley Bowman: Down so poor uh sean six again whoever he is i don't mean to make light of these kinds of things however we jacob and i even we read so many stories and it is kind It's amusing when you see these different patterns in stories.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, when there's a departure from the norm.
Riley Bowman: And this one just made such a big point to Sean Six, Sean Six, Six, Six.
Jacob Paulsen: Six. He's got a cool name. He could be a local celebrity. Maybe he's like an MMA fighter in town.
Riley Bowman: Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: Maybe he's got a band. He's a great musician.
Riley Bowman: I don't know. Yep. Oh, I think I just closed this.
Jacob Paulsen: We could Google it, but we didn't.
Riley Bowman: Right. I think I just closed the story that we were going to talk about next.
Jacob Paulsen: Oh, this is the Virginia Clinic.
Riley Bowman: Ah, yes. Oh, this is a doozy.
Jacob Paulsen: This is an interesting one. This has got a rather unique element that we're not used to saying.
Riley Bowman: It does.
Jacob Paulsen: Oh, I said Virginia. I don't know. My brain.
Riley Bowman: Oh, I see.
Jacob Paulsen: It's a VA clinic in Georgia. Thank you. I said VA. My brain just somehow stuck in Virginia, but it's a Veterans Affair Clinic.
Riley Bowman: You want some irony there? is if you zoom into the picture, Jacob, there's a notice, no weapons, no firearms or weapons allowed on the premises.
Jacob Paulsen: Okay, well, at least two people were doing that.
Riley Bowman: You know that, well, so here's the thing. All right, so, all right, VA's standard practice, it's a federal facility. Don't permit firearms or weapons on property, okay? That's the thing. It's posted. I've seen it many times at VA clinics. Uh but va clinics can be a variety of things meaning you know they can be they look different depending on where you are okay there are very large uh. You know, VA facilities. Uh, we've got one here in like Aurora, Colorado, huge VA. I mean, it's, it is a hospital. Okay. Uh, it is a, an extensive campus. Uh, and that whole property and everything is the VA and it gets posted that like, you don't, you're not supposed to be on the property with a firearm. There's a similar, uh, smaller facility up near kind of where I live. It's more of an office, but there are some clinic type stuff there. Again, the whole property, like the building, the land, everything is owned by the federal government. It's operated by the federal government. But you also have instances where a clinic like this might be located. I don't know for sure. I haven't looked this up. But it could be that it is in a leased building or they have leased space in a building to where you go into the clinic, you're not supposed to have a gun, but the parking lot and the area around the property around might be permissible to have a gun. So I'm just pointing that out to make, you know, a distinction here as to why, because what you're going to have is an armed civilian who is on the premises. It sounds like he's outside the building. So as far as we know, he could be legally carrying and, you know, in possession of a gun.
Jacob Paulsen: Unclear.
Riley Bowman: But we don't know for sure. But kind of a secondary point to What I was saying is you should be aware of the laws and the rules for where you are.
Jacob Paulsen: Certainly what we know is the bad guy in this case actively ignored said gun-free zone restriction. Yes. Because the bad guy was there for a mental health consultation. And we use the word bad guy also very liberally. We don't know anything about these people or what their state of mind is or what's going on. But we know that he was there for a mental health consultation. We know he had a gun.
Riley Bowman: Like what it sounds like this man was in crisis and he needed help. And he went to a – it's hard to say if he went there to obtain help or if he went there to commit a crime. And if he went there to get help but in the course of that, for whatever reason, his emotional state, elevated and he became you know out of control and then retrieved a gun but either way he it's and it's not clear about what happens when he you know begins shooting yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: It just says that he was there for a walk-in mental health consultation 1 30 p.m and said that uh while he's there he He shoots Nick Cruz, who is working as a social work case manager at the clinic.
Riley Bowman: Let's see.
Jacob Paulsen: I don't know. I don't think we got more detail than that.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. Oh, there it is. Yeah. Okay. So he does shoot the one individual. Okay. He then walks outside of the VA facility, and it's then that he is encountered by law enforcement. Okay. They're responding. And, and this is this fascinating part of the story, an armed civilian who it says was already on scene.
Jacob Paulsen: So there's enough time there for someone to hear shots and call the cops, call 911, whatever, and for cops to respond. We don't know how far they had to respond. Could it have been 60 seconds? Could have been. Could it have been three, five minutes? Could have been. So maybe we shoot the social caseworker and then we walk around and we realize, oh, my gosh, what have I done? I don't know. But there's some period of time that has to elapse to allow that by the time the BG exits the building, responding law enforcement is arriving. They're like, oh, he's got the gun. That's the guy. And at the same time, law enforcement starts to engage. We have an armed citizen who's there. In my mind, I guess I'm picturing like a parking lot of the VA clinic. That's what's roped off in the image. And so the armed citizen is like, it's got a gun. And i don't know if he's just like hey cops are shooting at him cool i'm in you know or if he's like doesn't even realize the cops are there at all maybe and he's just like hey someone's walking out they got a gun and they're swinging it around and i heard gunshots a minute ago like oh dang like i better better engage here i don't know you know what what the perception of the armed citizen is But what is true to your point is that the cops engage the BG alongside the bad guy and the armed citizen does as well alongside the cops.
Riley Bowman: It says there was an exchange of gunfire between the police officers and the armed citizen. I mean, no. Okay. Not between them, but with both of those, the cops and this armed citizen that shoot the bad guy.
Jacob Paulsen: Yes. He's dead. He's done.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Yeah. So this is such a fascinating story because, you know, how often do we hear from people? And certainly we are very much aware of good guys that get shot by cops. I mean, we had something happen in Arvada just a few years ago. Um which was a case of you know mistaken identity as far as like dude thought that was the bad guy he shot who he thought was the bad guy that can happen it is extremely rare uh it's pretty isolated in sense yeah there's there very that's perfect description isolated incidents uh and meanwhile we have an example here of an armed citizen right alongside with cops like how'd they know who he was but they apparently i mean he's.
Jacob Paulsen: Shooting the right direction i guess I mean, we don't know all the particulars of what they observed and how they made determinations, but we have more examples of cops not shooting good guys with guns than we do of cops shooting good guys with guns by far. This could go in that category of it worked out.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. Well, we're over an hour, but we've got two more important stories to talk about.
Jacob Paulsen: All right.
Riley Bowman: Okay. First up, Old Dominion University shooting. Okay. This is ROTC professor and students that are involved. Okay. So what happens is you have Army Lieutenant Colonel Brandon Shaw. He's the victim in this case. Well, of course, all the other ROTC students and cadets that are there are also victims. But he's the one that unfortunately gets shot. He's in the middle of teaching a class in the ROTC program at the school. And that's when the bad guy walks in armed. And it says here that the bad guy asked if it was an ROTC class.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, he confirms. Yeah. Is this the room I thought I was in?
Riley Bowman: Yeah, which, I mean, it probably was pretty clear. In my experience, ROTC students, especially in a class with an ROTC instructor, they're going to most certainly be in uniform. But anyway, he asks, is this ROTC class? And yep, okay, it is. He shouts, Allahu Akbar, and opens fire and shoots and kills Lieutenant Colonel Brandon Shaw right there in the class. Immediately, multiple students jump on this man, attack him, subdue him. And by the way, Jacob, this is fascinating to me. I don't know. It's probably because it doesn't feel very politically correct or something. But one of the students pulls out a knife and stabs this guy. And this is one of the few sources I could find of a legit source that actually states, like, student stabbed gunman. And I wanted to highlight that because I get tired of whitewashing these, you know, the language surrounding events like this, especially where something heroic happens. And that's basically what I saw happening in the media surrounding this is these students deserve to be held up and praised for their actions because they took heroic actions. And part of that was you had a violent man willing to commit murder who very, it was obviously, I mean, there, there was some kind of terroristic component to this.
Jacob Paulsen: Sure.
Riley Bowman: Right. By nature of, of, of how he conducted it, that he was targeting, it appears, the RTC students and or professor. So a military, you know, representative, if you will. Uh, and, uh, you know, we've learned since then that, you know, this man was, was involved with police in the past for, for some other, uh, uh, uh, situations that again, he, he was influenced by foreign, uh, terrorist organizations. Okay. But you have these students that did remarkable things, these ROTC cadets that jumped on this man and did what they had to do. And one of those things was, I mean, that's an ugly fight, man. But pulling out your knife and stabbing a guy like, okay, like there you go. You deserve to be given credit for taking that kind of action. And I'm proud of these guys for doing what they did. Because, I mean, who knows what would happen next. I mean, the guy shoots their instructor, I mean, chances are they're next. You know?
Jacob Paulsen: I love some of the language in this article. And by the way, these guys go on to be awarded medals, these ROTC students. Like, they are very much so awarded for their actions. But here's my favorite one from Dominic Evans, special agent in charge of the agency's Norfolk field office. As he says, multiple students attacked him, one stabbed him, and then the students, quote, rendered him no longer alive, end quote. So they rendered the attacker no longer alive. Yes. Yes.
Riley Bowman: Again, very politically correct-sounding language. It is somewhat entertaining to hear that instead of, and killed him. You know, like that's just too direct.
Jacob Paulsen: Apparently. No, no. Rendered him no longer alive. Not an alive person. Yeah, yeah.
Riley Bowman: They unalived him.
Jacob Paulsen: Yes.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, I do want to highlight these cadets. As you mentioned, that is a follow-up article that is also included in the show notes. There is a total of eight, at least eight of them, because it says they're unidentified, it says. But a Facebook post from the U.S. Army Cadet Command highlighted their actions, and eight were awarded meritorious service medals, and two were awarded Purple Hearts, which tells you that at least two of these cadets were injured in the course of their actions. yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: To some degree
Riley Bowman: Yeah so remarkable um action that you took gentlemen if you happen to hear this i commend you i thank you we need more men like you and women uh but we need more men like you in this world willing to jump up and go to action title this episode by the way is when to run toward danger when to run toward the threat um generally we you know want to avoid getting into fights and generally want to avoid having to use deadly force but there is a time and a place where it's like no it's go time and you need to know what those times and places are yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: When someone walks into your classroom and is standing in the only only entrance exit of the room and start shooting people i suppose that's one of those
Riley Bowman: Moments yep and these young men did exactly that, Finally, it brings us to the shooting, which happened on the same day in Michigan at the Temple Israel Synagogue. This, of course, got a lot of attention. It hit the media cycle pretty hard and heavy at the time. It was a very unfortunate event. The one fortunate thing is that nobody in that synagogue was actually killed. I don't know. It's still a little unclear to me if there was anybody that was injured or if there's a number associated with that, but nobody was killed, which is just remarkable. And, and I, I, I use this article, this link, Jacob, because it really shows the level of devastation that occurred because it's hard to kind of picture it. You hear the stories and the reports and you're like, okay, so it doesn't sound like, like on the one hand, it's like, it sounds like a big deal. On the other hand, it's like, maybe it wasn't that big of a deal. you know but uh this this building is destroyed internally right like it is fire be bad yeah i mean it is it is bad so the the attacker in this case uses vehicle a very similar tactic i might add to the uh terrible attack and shooting that happened at a church jesus christ latter-day saints building uh last fall um where that one obviously went uh pretty pretty poorly as far as the number of, you know, four people killed and a bunch of people severely injured. And that entire building destroyed and burnt to the ground because that man rammed the building with his truck. It was loaded with fuel and other accelerants and proceeded to shoot people and start everything on fire. This was a similar tactic. This man drove his vehicle into the building, down the hallway.
Jacob Paulsen: It looks like a copycat game.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, right? And this happened less than an hour, I think, away from where that attack against an LDS church occurred. Drove right down the hallway, started everything on fire. He proceeded to open fire with a gun. And here's what I appreciate about this incident is that Temple Israel, synagogue, security personnel, they opened up fire on him.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah. It says, okay, it's interesting. It says they exchanged gunfire. Yeah. But I perceive from everything I've consumed that he never got out of the truck.
Riley Bowman: Well, yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: I don't
Riley Bowman: Know if we know.
Jacob Paulsen: I mean if he did he got back in because the incident ends when this dude realizes his own truck is on fire he's in a gun fight and he takes his own life so that's how it ends but yeah it's kind of intense, kind of wild so how I perceive the facts or the narrative with the facts that I have is that he drives in through the door into the hallway, fires a blazing, decides, hey, time for me to go shoot the people. Oh, crap, I'm being engaged by the good guys. Back and forth. What do I do? I'm pinned down, can't get out of the truck. And then at some point, the acknowledgement basically is like, I'm going to burn alive in here. I can't even get out of the own fire I just started. So take my life. that's how i perceive the narrative yeah i love this
Riley Bowman: Uh yeah um hard to hard to know for sure but uh, Regardless, the folks there at the synagogue are also heroes because one, you had several of the security personnel on site that did engage him with gunfire that made it clear that they were not going to go down without a fight. And the other heroes are the fact that they got everybody out of that building in one piece. All the children, there's like 140 kids, I think, in this building. All those children, they got out. The teachers, the staff, everybody there got out of that building. The only person that perished was the man that launched the attack in the first place. A horrible, horrible attack that, again, also seems to have, it's quite clear, actually, in this case, it was not just politically.
Jacob Paulsen: But it's a hate crime.
Riley Bowman: But it was a hate crime committed against, he was targeting Jews there in the synagogue. specifically. So, um, Anyway, I want to recognize those that were there that committed heroic actions, incredibly heroic actions to stop, minimize this attack, lead to that man committing suicide, and then proceed to get everybody out of the building alive.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, no, well, preparedness paid off in this case. Good work.
Riley Bowman: Yep. So, man, you know, the other big takeaway from all this, Jacob, today is I'm just thinking more and more all the time about the world we're in. You could say evolving tactics. It's not necessarily like we've seen people use vehicles, you know, as a tool, as part of an attack. I mean, you even had that incident, what, Mardi Gras or whatever, where the guy drove his pickup down the street, you know, and took out a bunch of people. So, like, vehicles being used as weapons is nothing new. It's been done for a long time. But we've seen a couple of attacks pretty close, you know, together chronologically, specifically against houses of worship.
Jacob Paulsen: Yes.
Riley Bowman: Where the tactic seems to be driving vehicles into the building and commencing an attack.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, I think that two in a row, so to speak, leads to a world where those who have responsibility to be prepared for these types of incidents might want to consider what that looks like in their training and in their tactics and in their physical security as well.
Riley Bowman: Henry commenting on Facebook, definitely have to have that switched on mentality. And yeah, that's... That's exactly what I'm saying, you know, that I've been switched on a lot more, um, as of late. So it's something that we all ought to be doing and being prepared and have a plan in place for any situation you might find yourself in. We've actually talked about a lot of different things that, you know, are great examples where we can use those to help create better plans for ourselves.
Jacob Paulsen: Well said.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. Well, it's time to wrap up. Today's episode, again, brought to you by CCW Safe. You want to have good, high-quality... Self-defense legal coverage is going to stand by you and back you up. Yeah, you want to have that. Choose CCWSAFE like we choose. CCWSAFE.com is the place to go and get signed up. Just a reminder, Guardian Nation members, so that's our membership program, to still have access to a pretty decent discount of CCWSAFE membership as well. So if you're a Guardian Nation member, you log into the dashboard and you can find the details there to get that discount. And of course take advantage of all the other things that Guardian Nation members have access to and if you're not a Guardian Nation member do it join today and then also, HKUSA is our sponsor of today's episode HK-USA.com so we want to have good tools that we rely upon we want to have the legal coverage of CCW Safe and we want to have solid plans and make good decisions in high-stress environments.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah. I'm a guy who doesn't mind saving some money sometimes making an economic choice, but there are other circumstances where it just makes sense to have the best, and that's where CCW Safe NHK can come into play.
Riley Bowman: 100%. So we'll leave you go with that today. I hope that these stories were helpful for all of you listening or watching or joining in. Thank you for being a part of this episode and being a part of the podcast. If you liked what you heard today, please feel free let us know, or if you have any questions or feedback for us, you can contact us at support at concealed carry.com. We appreciate your likes, your comments, your subscription, you know, you're, uh, following along the podcast, whether it's on Spotify or Apple podcasts or Google play or whatever, uh, that we really appreciate that. And we appreciate those of you that share this content with others that need to hear it as well, which we'd like to think is everybody, everybody should know the stuff yeah so until next time a reminder to train right train often and train safe so you can fight.
Jacob Paulsen: Hard fight fast and fight true
Riley Bowman: A reminder that laws vary from place to place, and we encourage listeners to seek local legal advice to understand applicable laws. Concealed Carry, Inc., its brands and properties, and the Concealed Carry podcast is not a legal service, nor are we attorneys at law. We make our best-fade effort to share Concealed Carry-related insights and information about firearm-related incidents and the laws pertaining, based on our own understanding and experience. But things can be different where you live, or laws may have changed by the time you listen to this. We cannot be held liable for your actions based on the information shared in this podcast. Please exercise care with all things pertaining to firearm use, Concealed Carry, and always practice following basic firearm safety rules. More information about safety can be found at concealedcarry.com forward slash safety.