Riley Bowman: This is the Concealed Carry Podcast, Season 13, Episode 6. And welcome to Concealed Carry Podcast, part of the ConcealedCarry.com network, brought to you by HK. Today is February 4th, 2026, as of the recording of this episode.
John Gilstrap: I am your host,
Riley Bowman: Riley Bowman. I'm pleased to be here with you, and I've got another special episode for you today. I'm thrilled to bring to you. I've actually got another interview that I recorded at SHOT Show 2026
John Gilstrap: Just a couple weeks ago.
Riley Bowman: This one is with a multiple-time New York Times bestselling author, John Gilstrap. And in this episode, we get into talking about some of his latest books, including his newest release, which is not quite out yet, but will be like next month, I think, March, 2026, a book called Scorched Earth. And I'm actually holding right here in my hands. He was very kind, very generous and gifted to me and Jacob a pre-release copy of Scorched Earth. I nicely autographed it for us. Very, very kind. And I started reading this this week And it's fantastic Like all of his books Super action-packed Fast-paced reading If you enjoy thrillers like this Then this is the book for you And this is the reason why we interviewed John too He is a gun guy And he understands guns He knows how to talk about guns He knows how to write about guns And put those elements into his books In a believable manner Which we really appreciate And he's a friend to the industry and we should be supporting people in the industry like this fantastic author, John Gilstrap. I do got a couple of sponsor messages and we'll talk a little bit more about this episode in a moment. Today's episode was recorded in the HK booth
John Gilstrap: At SHOT Show.
Riley Bowman: Thank you so much, HK, for your support of us and the podcast and making everything we do possible, especially the podcast and this episode. Sat right there in the front center of the booth, right on the SHOT Show floor in front of everybody and recorded this interview with John. Had a great time. He was a wonderful guest on the podcast, and it was made possible thanks to HK. John's a huge fan of HK guns and features them quite extensively in his books. So it was an appropriate setting for this interview, and we just had a great time together. Guys, please support HK. Consider going to their website, hk-usa.com, to learn more about their products and why you want to use them. I mean, their pistols are amazing. They're the best in the industry, and, I mean, they work. They're super reliable. They're heavily tested, well-engineered. These are guns for serious users that really care about their products working in life-or-death situations. HK is also at the Great American Outdoor Show. As you are listening to this, I think that show will probably have been kicked off and started. It runs February 7th to the 15th in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. And HK, their booth is booth number 488. So if you're able to go to the Great American Outdoor Show, if you're anywhere near the Harrisburg area or you plan on traveling there, please stop by booth 488 and say hello to
John Gilstrap: The lovely folks
Riley Bowman: At HK. You could stop in and say hello to Angela.
John Gilstrap: She's always at their shows and she's wonderful. And just, hey, say that Riley and Jacob and the Concealed Carry folks sent you guys over there to stop by and say hello.
Riley Bowman: We'd really appreciate that. HK-USA.com, again, their website. Today's episode also sponsored by...
John Gilstrap: Concealedcarry.com
Riley Bowman: Forward slash shop. I'm going to just give you the short link to go straight to
John Gilstrap: The store at concealedcarry.com.
Riley Bowman: When's the last time you visited the store? If it's been a while, then there's a bunch of new stuff there that you maybe haven't seen before. We have worked hard in recent weeks and months to update the store and add a bunch of new products.
John Gilstrap: We've got stuff that,
Riley Bowman: I mean, we're really fleshing out now our optics lineup. If you're looking for a pistol optic
John Gilstrap: Or something like that,
Riley Bowman: We've got more options now than ever before. All across the board. We got stuff from Trijicon, from Holosun, from a new player, Ocite. They're making waves in the industry now and a bunch of others. Also lights. We got a bunch of options now for lights. We've got some handheld lights. We also got a bunch of weapon mounted lights if that's something you're interested in. So guys, please head on over to concealedcarry.com forward slash shop. That'll take you straight to the main shop page of the website and we i mentioned this last last episode but we've updated the search tool on the site right at the top if
John Gilstrap: You have a product you'd like to search for
Riley Bowman: Uh you can do that even easier than ever before you can actually filter to products and you know i can just type in right now i'll do it right now with you so let's just say i'm looking for a weapon light and let's see what we come up with all right all right all right Yeah,
John Gilstrap: We've got a TLR1,
Riley Bowman: We've got a TLR7X,
John Gilstrap: We've got a Holosun PIDHC,
Riley Bowman: Some new Surefire options, a Surefire XC3 Lite. Okay, really, really cool new product. We were actually looking at those at SHOT Show just a while back there. And so tons of options here,
John Gilstrap: All available on our site that
Riley Bowman: You can purchase
John Gilstrap: Right away. Guys, your purchase of products at concealedcarry.com
Riley Bowman: Supports us and obviously makes this whole thing possible,
John Gilstrap: Guys.
Riley Bowman: So appreciate your support of us and of the podcast. And thank you for stopping by the concealedcarry.com store. Also an honorary sponsor, of course, is John Gilstrap himself. The episode wouldn't be possible without him. And you can go to his website, johngilstrap.com, G-A-O-H-N-G-I-L-S-T-R-A-P.com.
John Gilstrap: And you'll want to
Riley Bowman: Pre-order or get on his list for getting a new copy of his latest book, Scorched Earth. So as I mentioned in the beginning episode,
John Gilstrap: He's a fantastic author.
Riley Bowman: He's been very successful for a couple of decades now. he has sold rights to
John Gilstrap: Several of his books for
Riley Bowman: Movies and TV shows and his books are just super fun and exciting and fast paced reads. You will really enjoy them if you're into the action thriller genre and especially coming from a guy
John Gilstrap: Who's a friend of the Second
Riley Bowman: Amendment and loves gun stuff and loves HK Pistols he's your friend. You're going to want to read his books if you're not familiar already pick up his latest Scorched Earth or start at the beginning and go back and read all of his books. They're fantastic. I'm relatively new-wer to them. As I mentioned in the episode and the interview, I just got started listening on an audio book to my first John Gilstrap novel just a little bit less than a month ago and have been really enjoying listening to those. And I'm enjoying right now reading this copy of Scorched Earth. Anyway, I'm going to play back the interview now. Thanks for being here, guys.
John Gilstrap: Enjoy the show, and I'll catch you on the flip side. Hey, everybody. It's Riley, and we're here at SHOT Show 2026 in the Heckler & Koch booth. And I'm pleased to bring to you – well, we could say introduced to you, but he's been on the podcast before, actually. I have. And this is Mr. John Gilstrap. How are you doing, sir?
Speaker2: I'm wonderful. I mean, I love the SHOT Show. It's just a great place to be to hang out and meet new people.
John Gilstrap: 100%. Yeah. Yeah, no, I agree with you there. It's one of my favorite parts of it. It's just, you know, this is where my friends are at. You probably have many friends of yourself that you've met over the years. It's an annual opportunity to reconnect with those friendships.
Speaker2: Right, and everybody, this is such a happy place. Yeah. You know, it's just everybody's having a good time. Oh, yeah. And everybody's tired. Everybody's feet hurt.
John Gilstrap: Yeah, but what's not to love about, you know, guns, guns, guns.
Speaker2: That's right.
John Gilstrap: And, you know, good food in the evenings, hopefully. and yeah, it's a good time. You were on the podcast. Jacob interviewed you for that one that time. And so now it's my turn. All right. And I'm looking forward to that. He is the, you know, the consumer of all the John Gilstrap books. I am a relative newcomer. So I actually just started listening to my first one. And I had this, you know, kind of, crisis of like, well, do I start at number one or do I start with one that's more recent so we could talk about something that's more recent, right? That's maybe hitting the bookshelves or is on the bookshelves right now and of course we'll talk a little bit about the new one that you've got sitting here on the table right in front of us. So I just started listening to Zero Sum.
Speaker2: Okay. I think that's the last book.
John Gilstrap: Yeah, the most recent Jonathan Grave book, if I'm Correct. I thought about starting with the Irene Rivers one that was just published as well fairly recently.
Speaker2: Right. That's Burren Bridges. That just came out. But it's kind of an offshoot from the grave books.
John Gilstrap: Yeah, right, right. And I was like, well, I could start with that one. But let's do this zero-sum one because obviously that's the character that you've written all these books primarily about. And so it's been a really, really good listen. I'm only about halfway or so through. I was really trying to complete it before we got here, before I could talk to you. That's actually been a rule of mine with the podcast is if I'm going to talk to an author, I try to make sure I read at least one of their books. And unfortunately, I just didn't have the time to get it done in time. But I'm really enjoying what I'm hearing so far. It's thrilling. I mean, you write thrillers. I do.
Speaker2: I do. And the stakes are always high. Right. And in this case, it's funny. I get this, obviously, I don't have an impact on national policy, right? Right. But this is where Jonathan is taking what he calls the pillow fight on drugs to be a war on drugs. Yes. And he's taking it right to the cartels. And for me, I live in West Virginia, and West Virginia is like the home of the opiate problem. And anything I can do to bring harm to the cartels, I'm all over.
John Gilstrap: Yeah. Yeah. Well, it's a problem that's affecting a lot of different pockets in the country. I remember, I actually grew up in Idaho. And just off of I-15 that runs north out of Utah and goes right up through part of Idaho there. And my uncle, who just retired the last year or so ago from being a sheriff for quite a number of years, and a well-loved sheriff, and he did a lot of good things and worked really hard to make his community safer. And this is a relatively rural part of Idaho where he was sheriff of. But I-15 was a conduit for drug trafficking right up through there and up into Montana. And I remember him sharing some things with me about that and just kind of like, you know, it's eye-opening. You're like, I had no idea, especially like growing up in that region, how much drugs was moving up and down that interstate. He's like, oh, yeah, you know, we bus people out. Dang near every day kind of thing.
Speaker2: And the ingenuity of the drug transporters, of where they put it, how they hide it, it's really, it's impressive. I mean, in that negative sort of way.
John Gilstrap: They're really good at what they do.
Speaker2: Well, they're good at what they do, and it's an industry. You know, I think, I don't think we, most people don't think of drug trade as a multi-billion dollar operation, but that's really what it is. and they run it accordingly. And so it's, I don't want to turn this into a political thing, but we need to make a decision. We're going to be happy with this or we're not. And I'm personally glad to see that we're taking real action against it. But again, Jonathan, he takes decisive, you're not at the end yet, but he takes decisive action.
John Gilstrap: I'm already seeing that. And Jacob's actually spoken quite a bit about your books. Yes, decisive action sounds like maybe even almost an understatement. But speaking of politics, and I know you didn't want to get too political, and that's totally fine because I don't necessarily care for that either. However, early on in the book, Zero Sum, there's a reference to a particular state senator out of West Virginia. And the description in the book says, Kind of reminded me of somebody that's actually, well, until recently, a senator from West Virginia. I don't know if I read into that correctly or not, but I love that kind of stuff.
Riley Bowman: When you're reading a book and you're like, it kind of sounds like they're talking About this or that or this person or that person. I have a standard answer on this, and that is I don't write politics
Speaker2: And you can draw from what I write what you wish. But I do have fun with some of that. What I find interesting is when I get a lot of fan mail, like good fans, the vast majority is, you know, like your book. But every now and then you get the screamer who is, I've been accused of being a wild-eyed liberal and a wild-eyed conservative and a gun hater and in the pocket of the gun lobby. Right. All from the same book. Yeah. So people bring to it what they bring to life, I guess.
John Gilstrap: Yes, yeah.
Riley Bowman: I mean, their own personal biases. Yes. And the good news is it meant they read the book. They bought the book and they read the book and had a passionate response, right?
Speaker2: So that's what entertainment is about.
John Gilstrap: Right, right. That sounds like some of our interactions on social media comments on our channels where it's like you get some critical comments on something and it's like, well, thank you for the interaction, for feeding the algorithm. You know, it's like anyway. So, yeah, they bought the book, in other words. They read the book. So, I'm just curious. I wanted to get to know you a little bit more personally. Like, what got you started in writing in the first place? Where did I start from?
Speaker2: I have always been a writer. My earliest memories, literally, when you pick up a pen, third, fourth grade, whenever that is, I've always written stories. And a lot of them were, you know, reproductions of what I saw on television or whatever. But the act of actually telling a story on the page has always been a passion. I never dreamed I'd make a living out of it. So my background, my professional background is I was a firefighter and paramedic, firefighter and EMT. And I also was a safety engineer where I worked in an explosives manufacturing plant. So and then I was writing in the spare time. so I didn't realize that what I was I was actually doing on the job training to be a thriller right now right I was going to say all the elements are there it.
John Gilstrap: Sounds like you like things blowing up in books and so that that That suits you well, I guess I could say.
Speaker2: Don't take this the wrong way. But I was in charge when I was working at the explosive plant. One of my duties was to get rid of old explosives. And the rules are written as such. The only way to get rid of it is to burn it or blow it up. That's a good day. It's just a good day. I'm not hurting anybody, right? It's out in the field. There's one time I started a big fire accidentally. I didn't really know what was in the pits. And I learned when it went high order. I don't know if you've heard. The only time this has happened to me, and I hesitate to tell a story at a place like SHOT Show where people have really been in a crappy situation. These burn pits are probably 100 yards from me. And there's a bunker where I could have stood, but it's got spiders and nasty stuff. So I had this remote detonator. And I was standing out there, and I'm firing a hole, push the button. And what's supposed to happen is you get this big fire, you know, big fireball. This thing was, it went up and a huge flash. And I don't know if you've ever seen a pressure wave coming at you. It's startling. You get a chance to say, oh, and that's it.
John Gilstrap: Yeah, right.
Speaker2: And then as a safety guy, my job is to put out the fires I just started.
John Gilstrap: So. Well, that sounds exciting. I like, I might like blowing things up a little too much myself because I'm not going to admit to any felonies here. But when I was younger, probably statute of limitations would be passed now. But when I was a teenager, let's just say some stuff got blown up.
Speaker2: How high did your bucket go?
John Gilstrap: Yes. Yeah, I'm lucky to have some of those fingers and toes. And, you know, so, you know, yeah. Anyway, so good times. So you got started. You've been writing all your life, you basically said there. When did you write your first novel, like full-length novel?
Speaker2: The first published novel came out when I was, well, I wrote it when I was probably 35, 36, came out, and then I sold it. I wrote my first novel when I was freshman in college. Wow, very good. And it kind of sucked, but it was, you know, there were elements of it that were okay, and then there were two more after that. So a total of three novels I wrote that didn't go, you know, I didn't even try to sell them because I knew they weren't right. And then I wrote Nathan's Run, which was my first published novel. And it just, it hit the jackpot. It was an international bestseller. And so it kind of launched the new career.
John Gilstrap: So tell me about those early novels that you, like you said, you wrote, but you didn't sell or anything like that. What did you learn from that process of writing those? I mean, you just said that you knew that they weren't quite right. They weren't, I guess, quite ready, let's say. But it sounds like that was kind of a... You must have learned some things from those in order to be so successful with Nathan's run.
Speaker2: Yeah, and... I'm an avid reader. I mean, I read toothpaste tubes, right? I mean, I just read anything. And that was the case at the time. And I knew just intuitively what I was writing wasn't, I was writing thrillers, but they weren't thrilling. There were elements of it that were flat or the, it just, you know, the elements of the story didn't work. And then with Nathan's Ron, it just, it was a, I was able to hit. I think the big difference was I wrote that book as if I were telling the story to somebody as opposed to self-consciously writing a book. And once I got rid of the stiffness and I found my own voice, the story flowed. But there were stuff in each of those previous three that I've cannibalized and used in other books. Yeah. Dialogue interactions and stuff that I thought were really good. That's the encouraging part of doing this. It's like playing golf. Even if you're a terrible golfer, you get one good shot that keeps you coming back. When you're writing a book, if that's what you want to do, there are elements, there are scenes or whatever that you go, wow, that's good. It's a shame it's in the middle of a story that doesn't work.
John Gilstrap: Yeah, I like that. What it reminds me of, this is when you started going down that, you know, kind of line of thinking, what it reminded me of is I'm a very avid shooter. I've been shooting a long time now and including at a fairly decent level. And so part of that journey for me has been a lot of trial and error. And I just believe that's how life is, is that we learn and we learn probably the best from failure. Yes. And so I just kind of was seeing this little common thread there. You're like, hey, I wrote this novel. I wrote a couple more. I was a freshman in college. Nothing came really of those. And then I write Nathan's Run and boom. You have to learn from mistakes.
Speaker2: You have to recognize mistakes. Yes. And then you have to embrace them as, yes, I did that. And then improve. Make that conscious effort to improve. And that's why nobody can pick up a gun or a golf club or a pen and be a journeyman level at what they're doing without that learning process. And they have to be willing to accept the critique. And again, you talk about shooting. I'm an avid shooter too. But you become better when somebody really concentrates on what you're doing wrong. You can see what you did right. But sometimes you've hit the target and you're doing it the wrong way. And then it's the little improvements that, that help a lot.
John Gilstrap: Absolutely. Who in, you know, are there other writers that have been an inspiration to you? Like, who would you look to if that was like, oh, that, you know, when I was a kid or whatever, I read these and these were really influential on me.
Speaker2: Oh, well, growing up, you know, it was Alistair McLean and, you know, all the adventure kind of stories. The Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth.
John Gilstrap: Yes.
Speaker2: That was probably, that was the first book I read And it's got some really cool gun stuff in it. That's the first book I read where I saw how a thriller was structured. Just for whatever reason, it's like I could see through, I could see the skeleton of the story. And if you think of the skeleton of the story as structure, and then the skin, I guess, to carry the analogy, is the plot. And I just saw how he used space breaks and character changes and chapter breaks. That was the first book I saw. Oh oh that's how you do it now that don't mean i could do it but you still have to have a good story but um contemporaneously i think stephen hunter oh yes was actually he's very helpful to me early on um when i you know i i had called him because he worked at the baltimore sun at the time and a buddy of mine had him as a client for a financial thing so i called him he's a here's the a film review at the Baltimore Sun. And I asked him for his agent's name. Oh, wow. And he gave it, and she rejected me, but that's fine. And then I called her back and asked for some advice, and he gave it to him, and he said, please don't ask me to read your manuscript.
John Gilstrap: I said, I wouldn't do that.
Speaker2: I was going to do that, but I'm not going to do that. And then when I called him, when Nathan's Run sold, I called him back and sort of celebrated, and he said, that's never happened before for all the people who called. So Steve's been a friend for 30 years now. And so for guys with guns, he goes to a level of detail that I don't go to because, again, I know my level of ignorance. So once you get inside the barrel and you start talking about the twists, that's not me. I don't do that. But in terms of handling and tactics and all of that, it's, you know, I've trained, I've been so fortunate. A fellow, I guess I shouldn't name names, but I wrote a non-fiction book, came out in 2006, called Six Minutes to Freedom, to be a Netflix feature next year. And it's about the, it's Operation Acid Gambit, which is the rescue of Kurt Mews in Panama. And I got, through a wild series of events, got extraordinary access to Delta Force. And the team that did it, President Bush actually, first one, the 41, intervened and allowed them to talk. The Delta guys don't talk to anybody. But I got a tour of their compound and a lot, a lot, a lot of help from them. And that, I don't know if it was a strike of jealousy or whatever. I met a guy from Dev Group, SEAL Team 6, and he gave me a tour of the Virginia Beach SEAL compound. And once you get to know these folks and you treat them well, and I don't mean nothing nefarious there. We're not talking exchanging money. Just treat them with respect. And, you know, I would never cross that line of revealing something that I've been shown either intentionally or accidentally. Because I wouldn't do that. That's just not me. So I've been a bad guy at a FDLE SWAT team exercise, which was with simunitions. Nice. Yeah, put your gun down when the SWAT team comes in. It's the lesson. Right.
John Gilstrap: That stings.
Speaker2: But one thing leads to another, right? And here I am at this podcast. You meet more people, and when you work, I'm still learning, right? Everybody's still learning. And the harder you work to get things right, the more people you meet who are willing to help you out, which leads to better quality product, which, you know, it's a constant learning process.
John Gilstrap: Well, I understand that you're kind of, I mean, you've been doing this a long time now. Yeah. You've written, what is it,
Speaker2: 18, 19 books? This is 31 books.
John Gilstrap: I'm way off of my count.
Speaker2: Well, it's 17 books in the Jonathan Graves series.
John Gilstrap: Oh, that's what I was thinking. Yeah. Wow. So 31 books total, though. Right. Wow. That's remarkable. Well, I mean, congratulations to you. I mean, that's been amazing. We're going to come back to that. We're going to talk about your upcoming book. What you were just talking about there kind of reminded me of something. I might have lost my train of thought. All right, let's jump to it then. Let's talk about Scorched Earth, shall we?
Speaker2: All right. Scorched Earth is the number 17 in the Jonathan Graves series. Over the course of the series, the FBI director, a lady named Irene Rivers, I've painted her as like the last honest person in the federal government. But she's honest through awkward means. I mean, she will do, she believes in justice over the law, kind of. You know, there's a way to do things. And there's things that she cannot do. So she brings in Jonathan Grave to do it for her. Right.
John Gilstrap: Speaking of which, in Zero Sum, there was a one-liner that you just basically gave it just now. And I think it goes something like this where he's having a conversation with her fairly early on in the book. and he's like, you know, I don't care about the law. I care about justice or something to that effect. Yeah.
Speaker2: And, you know, and not to get too far off track, we all know that. You know, that there are, in certain states, I live in West Virginia, right? So it is the best gun law state in the union. But there are states where if you shoot a burglar in your house, you're the bad guy.
John Gilstrap: Yeah, it could, yeah.
Speaker2: You know, there is no justice. in that. I mean, it's the law, but there's no justice, right? So this is the area where Jonathan Grave finds his traction. Yeah. And in this book, And Irene Rivers, in the book you're reading now, I won't give away the ending, but I will. Irene Rivers is ousted from office.
John Gilstrap: I can see the writing on the wall, by the way.
Speaker2: Yeah, it's not subtle. And she has been using, Jonathan is not the only OTR, off-the-record contractor that she's been using. And there's somebody in government that is going and killing her contractors. And so that's what Scorched Earth is about. Jonathan is a target of one of these. And he finds out about more. And then there's an overarching plot. Senator Bridges, I don't know if I name her state. Yeah, North Carolina. For reasons that are in the book, she's actually part of, or she's suborning a terrorist attack that's designed specifically to kill children. And for reasons. And Jonathan finds out about that, and that's the big race at the end. So it's always high stakes. And now, you know, we talk about technical things in books. The area where I'm most far behind, call me, is in drone technology. Because that's becoming more and more part of the battle game. Why go into a place when you can send a thing into the place? Well, it's because I write thrillers, right? So it's almost like they have to create a reason sometimes why technology can't do it because people read about, about characters going and do things manually. So it's not always about getting technical details right. It's explaining why this instead of that. And, again, that's why I come to the SHOT Show.
John Gilstrap: Now, Scorched Earth, I think, comes out in March,
Speaker2: Is it? February 24th. But you can preorder it now.
John Gilstrap: Just before March. Okay, good. Good. So, folks, you should go preorder it. I mean, like I said, I'm just getting into your books, And they're a great read, man. I love good classic thrillers. I've read a bunch over the years. I mean, I grew up reading Tom Clancy. That's just pretty much how I grew up. So it's right in that same vein. It's good stuff. It's fun to see how you're talking about. It's more important to talk about why this versus that as opposed to getting all technical details correct. But at the same time, you do a good job getting technical details correct, I would say. Thank you. And you love featuring a number of actual guns and weapons and tactics. And we're here in the HK booth, and you seem to be an HK fan of sorts.
Speaker2: I am an HK fan. And I was first introduced to HK products when I toured the SEAL Team compound. Yeah. And that's what they were using. And that's when I met the MP7. Yeah. Kind of had a little love affair with it. But I shot the 416 and 417 and MP7 and I don't know what else. But it was at their range with their lead instructor. And they were very patient and very nice to me. And because I then knew the details I needed, and it was the first book that I was writing in the Grave series, it became H&K. And since then, the folks at H&K have been very nice to me and have always been generous in helping with your technical details and what have you. So if you land on a platform that you understand as a writer, It's very, why would I leave.
John Gilstrap: You know?
Speaker2: Right, right. Plus, they're such good products. I mean, it's the gun that everybody wants, right?
John Gilstrap: They're built exceptionally well, and they work when you need them to.
Speaker2: So Jonathan carries the M27 variant of the 416. His friend Boxer's is enormous. Carries a 417. Yep. And it works really well for them, you know? And they switch out. John and the Carrie's MP7 on his hip, actually holstered.
John Gilstrap: Right.
Speaker2: On his weak side. So it's, yeah. I mean, HK is featured very prominently in the books.
John Gilstrap: Well, I think that's really cool. It's fun to see, you know, for people that are kind of in the know, if you will, gun people, and they read that kind of stuff, they're like, oh, man, this guy knows his stuff. I have a lot more respect for writers that, you know, at least... At least put out effort that they're trying to, you know, explain and incorporate some of those elements into books accurately or reasonably accurately because, you know, over the years, like I said, I've read a lot of things and there's those ones you're just like, it's like you're screaming at the television. You're like, come on, can't you at least know that detail, you know? So, yeah, it's greatly appreciated.
Speaker2: And different people go to different levels. I mean, Tom Clancy, rest his soul, he often, in my taste, Everybody has their own taste. Once you get to, like, lands and grooves with Steve's books and the devil of detail that Clancy would go into, that's not what I do because those are the paragraphs, even though I'm really into all of this, those are the paragraphs I tend to skim, right, instead of really read. But I know, I'm confident that there are tons of people who live for those paragraphs. Yeah, yeah. In my own books, I have what I call the loadout, where it's important. I don't know. I don't have real statistics on it. It's important to probably 10%, 15% of my readers. And the others, I know that's what they skip because they've got a pistol and a rifle. That's all they need.
John Gilstrap: Right. That's all they care about. Right.
Speaker2: Yeah. But then once you've committed to that platform, then you've got to get the details right because people are following it.
John Gilstrap: Right. Yep. I remember now what I was going to ask you about earlier. And it was when we were talking about some other authors and maybe some of those that have helped you, like Hunter. And then Jacob had mentioned to me that you do quite a bit of speaking at writing conferences and events and things like that. So you've kind of now also taken on the role of helping mentor other writers as well.
Speaker2: I do. I teach a course at conferences that, frankly, got to be self-aggrandizing. It's always well received because it's always lighthearted. And it's called Bangs and Booms 101, technical stuff that writers get wrong. So I go into, it's not, you know, it's like a 10,000 foot level, but, And I'm shocked at the number of people that don't know the difference between the bullet and the cartridge.
John Gilstrap: Right.
Speaker2: And what caliber really means.
John Gilstrap: Yep.
Speaker2: Right? So 7.62 isn't the own. It's not one bullet, right? There's this whole family of bullets that goes into it. So I teach that, but then I also teach how the impact of bullets actually works. You don't get blown through the door. Yeah. You know, I have a little bit about Newton's third law of motion. Yeah. And there's a lot of videos of people doing stupid things. But there's also some serious stuff. And just my idea, what I want to do is help them not embarrass themselves. You know, and there's a whole genre. You know, if you're writing an Agatha Christie kind of mystery.
John Gilstrap: Mystery, yeah.
Speaker2: You know, a pistol is fine. A revolver is fine. Because that's not what people want to get. But when you're writing military-adjacent thrillers like I do, that's not enough, you know? And the deeper into detail you get, The higher risk you are of getting it wrong, which is why you've got to do more research.
John Gilstrap: How much time would you say, on average, you spend in research on a particular, you know, any given novel?
Speaker2: Well, now, the research will go to a particular thing. Like, I need drones. And there are drones in zero-sum. Boy, are there drones in zero-sum.
John Gilstrap: I mean, the very opening chapter.
Speaker2: I have no idea if that technology exists.
John Gilstrap: It wouldn't surprise me.
Speaker2: It wouldn't surprise me either. So part of it is making stuff up, too, and making it believable to the reader. And my theory there is if it doesn't exist, only 100 people in the world know it doesn't exist, and they're not allowed to tell anybody.
John Gilstrap: Right.
Speaker2: But that's the research I do. is what's available, and then how can I tweak it in a fictional way to make it work.
John Gilstrap: Right, right. Very good. I imagine, obviously, too, now that you've been doing this long enough as well that you sort of banked a lot of effort and time in the past researching a lot that you can kind of draw upon now. Yeah. Yeah. Do you do much in the way of, like, how important is it for you to research particular locations?
Speaker2: Okay, here's the laziness factor. None of the locations I use are real.
John Gilstrap: Yeah, I get that.
Speaker2: So, I just create...
John Gilstrap: But is there anything that you draw inspiration from? Like you see, whether it's a building or a restaurant or anything.
Speaker2: Oh, all the time. All the time. You walk in and you think that that's a really cool place. Jonathan Grave lives in a converted firehouse. That firehouse, in my head, it's in the books. It's in Fisherman's Cove, Virginia, which doesn't exist. Right. But the real firehouse is in Lower Manhattan.
John Gilstrap: Oh, okay.
Speaker2: And it's just this gorgeous, go to my website, there's a picture of it. Just this gorgeous old firehouse. It's not a firehouse anymore. They've converted it into something else. Yeah. But, you know, that's where you pass by and you say, okay, that's a great location. Yeah. But it doesn't have to be there. Right. I can move it wherever I want. Of course. Right?
John Gilstrap: So that's cool.
Speaker2: There's the compound that you'll read at the end of Zero Sum is actually a hotel I stayed at when I was visiting Big Bend National Park in Texas.
John Gilstrap: Well, you see, yeah, there was a reference in the book already to something just north of Big Bend. And I was like, okay, interesting. I mean, I get that you're not talking about specific, specific places. But, yeah, I think that's pretty cool. I mean, you talked about touring different military training locations and things in the past. And I imagine that has also inspired much of what you've incorporated in your books, I would think.
Speaker2: Yes. and I think this is something that, I sense, as shared, certainly in my fire service experience, those 16 years, there's a sense of family that develops. What impresses me about military facilities is that the family is larger than a firehouse or a fire department. And it moves around. So there are people who, not so much in the special forces community, although that too, But throughout the military, families are reunited every now and then. And so they have this great network of support. And I think that's very important in the tone of what I write. You know, when I was dealing with the guys from Delta, they're all out now. But there was that great sense of it really is God, country and family and the flag and, the stuff that outside of that community, certainly at the time I was writing this in 2004 I guess, a lot of people would see as corny but I don't think that people realize that it's it's very real and it's very important and that's who's out there fighting for what we're trying to accomplish. And then it becomes the mission, right? So politics aside, much as a. As a firefighter, a fire was an operation, a thing to take care of. You try really hard to save people. You try really hard, but it's really about the operation. You can deal with that stuff as it happens. I don't know if I'm making sense here or not. But the focus is not on anything else. I don't care who set the fire. So when it goes to a military community, as I sense, on any mission, it's the mission. We're going to get them, which is where Jonathan Grave, when he commits to a hostage rescue, the hostage is coming home. Or they're not coming home. That's the mission. The hostage might not come alive, but the hostage is coming home, and we hope that's alive. But that is their sole mission, and they move heaven and earth to make it happen. I just love that. I find that inspiring to write about, and I find it inspiring to sense that kind of commitment from other people, which is doing the right thing, doing the right thing, justice over what might be the law. Jonathan does a lot of extrajudicial dispatching of people, right? But he sleeps well because they're all bad guys.
John Gilstrap: Yeah, yeah. Well, unfortunately, we're up against the time here. So I think that what you just were talking about there, though, is a great place to sort of sum and wrap it up a little bit. You're just talking about the people and what you had to say about service members and their community and the family and flag.
Speaker2: Let me tell you a story real quick. I know it's short on time. Let me tell you a story. I was researching Six Minutes to Freedom, and there was one fellow, James Sutterth, who was a retired operator. He passed away. He's not with us anymore. And he's more or less kind of Jonathan Graves, sort of based on him. And, you know, these guys just won't, they would not talk about the operation. It was, you know, at that point, 10, 12 years before. and um but he did get the one element he talked about in this operation a helicopter skid little bird skid landed on his foot while he was being shot at and he's you know i'm not going to die here was so he pulled his foot off just stripped it out and uh finished the mission and ultimately re-qualified for Delta. The only one allowed to wear tennis shoes at that point. And so he's telling this story in the back of an APC being driven out after this big firefight. And he looked up out of the hatch and he saw somebody waving an American flag. And he could not get through that. He choked up at the mention of the American flag. And I found that to be so touching. You know, all the crap, right? And that's the, that's the, his, his, seeing the flag on the way out is what got him emotionally. Low those many years later. He could tell all the violent stuff that he could tell pretty much without emotion. But when it came to that, that's when he got teared up.
John Gilstrap: That's kind of what I was getting at is that it's about something bigger and greater than ourselves and believing in that. And what I was going to ask you to do to kind of leave us on, I think, you know, at the end of the podcast here was going to be to our audience, concealed carriers primarily, You know, folks who are passionate about personal defense for a variety of reasons, protecting themselves, obviously, but protecting more than that. Their families in many cases, people that they care about. What would be a piece of advice that you would have to offer to our community?
Speaker2: The full knowledge that once you start carrying, and I typically do, understand what we were talking about before in terms of learning the training. Train in learning your mistakes.