Riley Bowman: And welcome to the Concealed Carry Podcast, part of the ConcealedCarry.com network, brought to you by HK. Today is Friday, January 9th, 2026. This is so strange, Jacob. I mean, season 13, the year 2026. What else is new? But welcome to the new year, everybody. This is the first time we're recording, I think, in the new year. We're a couple days later than we wanted to be, but it's been a busy week. How are you? Tell folks about what we've had going on.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah this week was a box week as i think we internally we refer to it so it's a week when we assemble and ship out all the guardian gear boxes which is always a lot of work for our small small little uh band of gun pirates i mean it's it takes time and energy it's
Riley Bowman: Sort of like you know with the normal website sales we do you know like if you were to take that typical daily shipping volume for normal average day sales and then times that by like what.
Jacob Paulsen: 10 20 well i mean in the number of orders it'd be like times 10 or 15 or something but then you have to consider that like most orders we get on our website are not for seven items true true right like assemble a box pick this off a shelf pick this off and obviously we're able to build an efficient assembly line so it's not as bad as it sounds but yeah it takes a lot of time anyway that's an all hands on deck deal for you know about a week yeah
Riley Bowman: So we wanted to do the podcast a few days ago but we just had a lot on our plates and anyway here we are it's friday uh what we're counting is our first week of the year for the podcast uh i think the last episode we'd recorded on new year's eve So, and we said goodbye to season 12, and here we are in season 13, which might be a little confusing to some folks, it's just the way things are numbered now, even though this marks our 10th year of the podcast. Next month is the 10 year anniversary since we released our first episode.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, the seasons, I mean, the first episodes, one through 500, makes up season one. Right. So that's the most confusing element. And then from there, it just varies. Roughly two seasons a year, maybe more, maybe less. The idea is to make sure that we're organizing it in a way that you can find content fast and efficiently. And that it plays nicely with the iTunes and Spotify, etc., of the world.
Riley Bowman: Absolutely. But today's episode is sponsored and brought to you by KSG Armory Holsters. That slurred out of my mouth a little bit. KSG Armory Holsters. There we go. It was like KSG. Anyway. Hey, I don't know how many people know that KSG stands for Knowledge, Skills, Gear. In that order in fact i mean well obviously ksg but like we think it's important that people get critical important information and knowledge about skills and things you know uh and then skills is next you know putting that knowledge to to use and and learning how to apply it that's that's what becomes the skill development part and then using quality gear and that's what we believe we're able to offer with ksg armory holsters is quality gear so and we're here on an episode today talking about information and skills and things people need to know and understand and all that yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah it's uh it's a statement about priorities
Riley Bowman: That's right in fact today's episode is the three most common safety violations at the gun range an article that jacob wrote is the basis for today's episode, This is stuff that you and I both have observed countless times over the years. And we're going to share what those three most common safety violations are. Maybe a few others will slip in there. Who knows? We'll see where the conversation leads us. But the first thing that you really got to make sure, I mean, first we said knowledge and skills in that order. But with respect to our sponsor message today, make sure you have a quality holster. That makes the safety aspect a lot easier, doesn't it?
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, I mean, this content is really about the behavior that is concerning. But if you don't have safe gear, then you can't really support safe behavior. No matter how hard you try, you're working from a disadvantage. So first and above all else, KSG makes safe holsters.
Riley Bowman: So ksgarmory.com is the website, and we appreciate your support of our sponsors and the support of us, make it possible to do the podcast here. Also, we're sponsoring today this episode with BarrelBlock. BarrelBlock.com, B-A-R-R-E-L-B-L-O-K.com. That makes it easier to practice and develop skills related to gun handling and drawing and holstering and all that much safer especially in a dry fire context so barrelblock.com use, well shoot i meant to have my barrel block handy with me here today i don't but use one of them put it in your in your chamber and it passes all the way through the chamber down through the the muzzle so that uh you know that there's nothing that can enter the gun while you're dry fire practicing it also is a visual indicator at a glance you can quickly see because of the protrusion, of the barrel block from the end of the muzzle you can say you know hey this gun's barrel blocked and it's been made safe and clear other people that maybe observe you like my family sees me dry fire and they see the barrel block they know what's going on so it's a good thing barrelblock.com.
Jacob Paulsen: Yep.
Riley Bowman: We have a couple of training resources that we'll share as we go through this episode here today. Also, I'll make sure to include a link for the article that you wrote, Jacob. But yeah, let's jump into the three most common safety violations.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah. I think there's some setting this up just a little bit. Let me add two points of, one point of context and then one kind of precursor to these. I wrote this in September. And so it's been several months now. And so I've had some feedback from other professionals in the industry who have read it. Some comments have come through on the article itself. And so I think there's a couple of things that are relevant. First, for context, I think, you know, for whatever it's worth, we spend a lot of time as professionals, this industry on gun ranges. In fact, I recently kind of did an accounting of 2025 and 2025. I spent 24 full eight hour plus days on a gun range.
Riley Bowman: Right.
Jacob Paulsen: There's plenty of professionals that spent way more than that than me. I mean, there's some people who work every day at a gun range. Um, you know, that's, that's what they do for a living. Uh, there's people who teach, you know, constantly they're on the road, you know, going from class to class. So I'm not trying to set myself up as some like crazy, like, look, oh my gosh, I, you know, I'm more qualified than anyone else. But I think compared to the average person listening to this show, I'm suggesting that I have a decent amount of exposure at seeing what happens. And not only that, but we get these reports from other instructors. This last year, I went to several training conferences that took place on gun ranges. Of course, at our event, I was at Revolver Fest, I was at Revolver Roundup in past year. The year previous, I went to all those same events, plus the Active Self-Protection Conference, often at the Girl in a Gun Conference. And you just, when you have hundreds or sometimes almost 1,000 people that show up to these events, you see patterns, right? And when you're hosting these events, whether it's us hosting it or a friend of ours who hosts an event, what happens is in the first day when everyone hits the bay to shoot, you quickly get reports that come in real fast from the RSOs, from the AIs, that come back to the event organizers saying, hey, we got someone over here who's doing some concerning things. Hey, we need to keep an eye on this person over here. And so I'm just trying to suggest some context. Like this is not some arbitrary article. This is from a significant amount of consideration and data that I tried to boil down all the little things into three core things. These are the three big kahunas. In my opinion, they represent 98%. Of safety violations at a gun range. So that's a pretty massive percentage like this. If we could get rid of these three, we'd be good to go. We just would not have problems anymore. So that's, that's the context. And then I'll add this little kind of, I'll call it precursor, which is that my experience suggests, as does that from other professionals we talked to, that if you're one of the people exhibiting one of these three behaviors, you don't know it. That the vast majority of the time when we have to talk to people as the instructor or as the range safety officer or whatever role you might have or we may have or I might have in these circumstances, the vast majority of the time when we talk to the person about what they're doing, they don't believe they're doing it. It's almost like, what? I'm not doing that. What you're saying to me is something an unsafe person would do. And I am not an unsafe person. therefore I can't be doing the thing you're saying I'm doing and so that requires a certain amount of vulnerability and humility as you're listening to this episode today to to ask yourself like in a real honest way like hey am I doing this and and and if I am like how would I know like what am I going to do next time I go to the range to monitor my behavior to to see if I am to some degree doing these things maybe i should put myself on camera and like you know get some video
Riley Bowman: Yeah i'm right there with you i mean i remember from just this year's you know this last year's guardian conference uh i think it was the first day maybe even first class it may have been that afternoon but either way i remember observing somebody reholstering after a drill and uh well they were doing one of the safety violations we're going to talk about today and i pointed it out you And I was like, whoa, hold up there. Let's just slow down. And I made him aware. I'm like, hey, by the way, when you're reholstering, you're doing this. And they turned and kind of looked at me like, really? And it wasn't like in an antagonistic way. It was just sort of like disbelief. It takes an incredible amount of self-awareness of oneself. I mean, that's a little redundant. Self-awareness is a difficult thing. I mean, there's plenty of blind spots that we have in even just our everyday, day-to-day lives. And this is one of them where. Unless you are like paying a lot of attention, uh, it's very easy to just not be aware of what you're actually doing. Uh, so yeah, it's, it's, it's challenging. It challenges all of us. Uh, I, I would like to think, I mean, you're welcome to speak up. I, I'm pretty sure you would if I did something unsafe, but, uh, I'd like to believe that I'm pretty self-aware and that I don't, you know, violate any of these, these rules. Uh, but, uh, it's something that's good for, I think all of us to, even if we think we, this doesn't apply to us. I know it'd be really easy for people to tune out of this podcast and be like, Oh, I don't have a problem with this. Like it's, you know, I'm, I'm, I'm, you know, I've been doing this a long time and I know I'm safe. It'd be really easy to just turn off the podcast right now, but I would encourage you to stick around and listen to what we have to say to hear today. Uh, because as I went through your article, jacob i'm like i'm thinking about myself as i'm reading it like okay am i making sure that i am actually abiding by the safety rules and just good safe best practices as i'm handling my guns it's a fair question to ask of all of ourselves at all you know anytime so yeah critical this an interesting comment on youtube from project 1868 someone recently said only three to five percent of gun owners know what they are doing marksmanship mindset and safety um i don't know where that you know number comes from but it wouldn't necessarily surprise me i.
Jacob Paulsen: Mean gun owners is a large yeah right group right and so sometimes You know, people who are listening to this podcast are inherently unique in the gun culture. Like, it's just true. Like, if you're the kind of person who would listen to this podcast, then you're not the average American gun owner. So we have to accept that kind of out of the gate. You know, people who would show up at these events and classes that I was talking about a moment ago are not the average American gun owner either. So you kind of have, you know, the whole universe that, you know, which is American gun owners. And then you can have this subset, which are those who, you know, care enough to go to a range and shoot it on occasion. Then you have a subset of that, which are those who would actually take a class, go to an event, you know, pursue additional training, education, and learning and practice. So anyway, my point is simply like, don't forget that these observations we're sharing are from the super subset of those who actually show up to training events and classes. We still see these issues.
Riley Bowman: It and that's a really i mean it kind of goes back to what i was just saying a moment ago like any of us can fall uh victims not the right word but you know what i mean like we can end up be uh finding ourselves in one of these situations if we're not careful or not paying attention because these people that come to events like the guardian conference like these are already in like the upper tier of this very small percentage of people that are actually taking it seriously enough, to make a fairly significant investment and perhaps even traveling all the way across the country or in some cases from Guatemala, where we had a couple people come a couple years ago from to the conference. They're already in that very, very small percentage of people that are really doing everything they can to learn and practice and train, and yet we still see safety violations. That's right. So just because you may know what you're doing, quote unquote, does not necessarily mean you're immune to safety violations.
Jacob Paulsen: That's right, yeah.
Riley Bowman: So let's jump in.
Jacob Paulsen: I'll add also that just because you used to be really good at gun safety stuff does not mean that today you still are.
Riley Bowman: Yes. Yeah. I mean, I know you and I have heard it from students. Well, I served in the military, even in some cases, like retired from the military for 20 years.
Jacob Paulsen: I'll go a step further than that. And I'll say we have people who have shown up to our events year over year over year over year. And we'll have a year or two or three go by where we observe no concerning behavior. And then they show up and they have some concerning behaviors. So like in a very true transparent fashion, you can truly be a person who really is like ironed out on these things. But then you start to exhibit the behaviors because you got a new holster or because you're dealing with arthritis or because it's just been too long since you practiced and you're a little nervous.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, you got elbow surgery or something. Sure. And you took six months off. And yeah, absolutely. Absolutely. And by the way, if you're listening to this or watching this, please don't take anything that we discuss here today as an attack on anybody. Someone listening may very well have been one of these people we talked to at the conference about, hey, saw something concerning here. We're not here to make fun of anybody. This is a simple gut check for us all to make sure that we're all staying in tip-top shape when it comes to safety.
Jacob Paulsen: And I'll just add that it's not just the Guardian Conference. We've referred to that many times because that's where we are responsible. The buck stops with me at that event to maintain everyone's safety. So i have a greater amount of awareness what's going on there with a larger number of people compared to other events i might attend or situations where i'm just an instructor with my own class or i'm an assistant instructor with 10 or 12 individuals so anyway that that's why that that keeps getting mentioned 100
Riley Bowman: And i mean i hope that people would come to our conference would see that we take safety very seriously i mean it's a it's a safe event that's that's first and foremost like like our number one goal besides everybody learning stuff is like that we get out of there safely.
Jacob Paulsen: No blood yep
Riley Bowman: Yep 100 so uh what's the what's the first unsafe thing that you've witnessed that we're referencing from this article jacob.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah i've actually thought about the order of these many times and not come to any conclusion about changing it so we'll just go with the order in which they're written in the article and the first one is unsafe reholstering and i kind of break it down into two subcategories or two two methodologies or two ways we see people commit this safety violation. But it comes down to me done shooty, need put gun back in holster thing, me do it in a way that's not safe. So the two kind of subtypes, the first one is muzzling the hand. And this is another one of those where it's a challenge because it's really easy to muzzle your hand if your hand is anywhere near the holster. But you can technically kind of use your hand to move clothes, even open the holster or kind of tip its angle or shift it away from the body or make it so you can see it over your gut and not muzzle your hand. But what happens a lot of times an RSO or an instructor is looking at an angle, you know, 10 degrees off, 20, 30 degrees off, and it looks like you're muzzling your hand. So I'm suggesting that it's one of those things that is such a close call that sometimes you might think you're clear, but it takes very little for you to not be clear. Or it takes very little for someone watching to think that you just muzzled your hand. But i'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt um and that because the reality is you probably did just muzzle your hand but if you're using your hand if you're touching your holster at all while reholstering you're probably muzzling your hand or at very least you're walking next to the edge of the cliff in a way that we deemed to be unnecessary and bad practice because it's it has the potential for a lack for for an accident for an issue right so we know we're not supposed to point guns at things we don't want to destroy, But you might say, oh, I don't actually muzzle my hand. I carefully sweep it like this and then bring it in at this angle. And it's like, well, why are you flirting with this, man? Like just get your hand off your holster or buy a holster or use a holster that doesn't require you touching it to put the gun back in it. And so that's the first, call it, sub-issue of reholstering.
Riley Bowman: You know, and you talk about this in the article that one of the ways I think some people develop a... A habit of using their support hand to kind of open the holster opening as they're reholstering is because of like soft sided holsters or some of the leather holsters nylon holsters and things that people may have used in the past and you know they're they've used something like that that collapses after the gun's drawn from it and so then they want to be able to reholster and the The only way you can do that is to kind of get your fingers in there and spread the opening back open so you can put the muzzle back in, right? There's a reason we don't allow soft-sided or collapsible holsters in our training at the Guardian Conference. And you see the same thing prohibited at many other training events and instructors' courses and things around the country for this very reason because they're just not safe. So, I mean, people are free to use what they want to use, but we would advise you again and again and again that you want a holster that does not collapse on you when you're carrying a gun. Because part of carrying a gun is at some point we're going to draw that gun, and that means we've got to put it back in the holster. You did address it in the article where if you are using a holster that collapses upon itself a little as you draw it out, then you should probably go ahead and remove that holster from your belt or whatever from inside your waistband to then reholster the gun to then put the holster and gun back inside your waistband let's say uh so but even that can be problematic because you have a gun out still in one hand and now you're going to remove a holster with the other hand like that could be difficult and awkward too so the point is get a quality holster like a ksg armory holster imagine that um.
Jacob Paulsen: Nice nice nice job on the shameless plug yeah yeah the other way this happens a lot in addition to the holster has to be opened manually the other thing we see a lot of is almost like a spot check like i because of the shape of our bodies some of us put a holster where we can't see it And so if you can't see it and sometimes by the way i'm not just talking about i got a big gut and it's in the way i see plenty of people who are carrying at three o'clock and their dexterity or maybe 334, but their dexterity is just such that turning their neck and head and getting the, like the whole thing is, it's actually hard for them physically to see the gun into the holster. And so I think our body naturally says, well, I got this hand that's not doing anything right now. I'll use it to touch and verify where the holster is. And this creates what, there's a term for this, something about like proprioception or something. There's some fancy term. Did I just, did I just get it? Good, good for me if I did. But it creates a situation where because my brain knows where left hand is, my brain can bring right hand to left hand and get gun into the holster. So that's another situation where, like I said, we don't even allow those holsters that you were talking about at our event. And most of these events I go to, they wouldn't be allowed. And yet we still see people touching their holster, not because they need to open the holster. But the majority of the time I observe it in those circumstances is because they need, or I shouldn't say they need, but they're utilizing that empty hand to confirm the position of the holster as they walk the gun back into it.
Riley Bowman: So, and you talked, you touched on this a little bit ago about, you know, needing to clear cover garments or something out of the way. And that's very much that has to happen, right? And the support hand is there to do that job. When we do that, just a tip here, like we should get the garments up and out of the way, just as if we were the same way we would when we're drawing the gun from the holster in the first place. Which means we rip the shirt up. If I'm in appendix position, I'm going to reach down, you know, towards the midline of my body. The shirt's going to come up and I'm going to bring it up pretty close to the sternum of my chest. If I'm drawing from my hip or behind my hip, I'm going to rip that shirt up. Not literally rip it, hopefully, but I'm going to rip that shirt up basically to my armpit. My hand is up and away from the holster on the draw. That's what we want to do when we reholster it as well, ideally. So the hand and the shirt and everything is not just cleared a little bit out of the way. We're not talking about the minimal amount here. We're talking about getting it clearly away from the holster. Now the holster is free and open to us to put the gun back in. That's what I would recommend here. Another thought to this is I've observed this, that people, some shooters have a tendency of bringing the gun in kind of from the side of the holster and sort of like rocking it into the holster. And I understand some of the logic there. In fact, I've seen some instructors. It's less common now, but years ago, it was a little more common to sort of talk about rocking the gun into the holster. I think it was a way of sort of finding the opening of the holster a little bit, you know, so you didn't have to maybe look at it, for instance. But in today's world, that's really kind of where I'm going with this a little bit. But I want to caution people about the kind of rocking of the gun into the holster motion. That, especially if we have our hand somewhere down near there because either we need it for some little extra help proprioceptively, or we're still trying to get a shirt or some other thing out of the way of the holster. What happens is we end up bringing the muzzle across the support hand. Like we basically just sweep right across the support hand. So I'm a big believer especially if I'm carrying in the appendix position, of trying to always keep the muzzle of the gun going in a north-south fashion that means when it comes out of the holster the muzzle is basically straight down just in front of my feet and when it when I start going out to the target it just draws a line straight from my just in front of my feet right up to the target when I come back to reholster it just retraces that path So we're not moving the muzzle over to my left or anything like that because I'm right-handed as I'm doing the reholster. No, it just comes straight back into the body and goes right into the holster. Now, if I was coming from the hip or behind the hip, it's a little bit different, but still a somewhat similar concept. So here's one way I think that we can really help ensure that we are extra self-aware as we're doing reholstering in particular, is to actually look at it and what we're doing with our eyes. I know that some people out there get angry when you suggest things like this. Well, I need to keep my eyes up in case there's a threat or another threat appears or something like that. Uh well i ain't reholstering unless i've dealt with all available threats where possible could there be some exceptions sure and in those circumstances i may need to take my chances i suppose either with looking or not looking but in 99 of situations like look at your holster and if you can't look at as much as you can at the very least look and follow the muzzle of the gun, follow where your support hand is and try to keep all those things separated, and if you're doing it visually then you can have a lot greater self-awareness and a lot less likelihood of muzzling yourself.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, I'll add two specific tips that might be helpful. One of those is instead of using the hand to touch the holster to help identify for your brain where it is, use your hand to move the body that's in the way of you seeing the holster so that your eyes can do the job that you're trying to use your support hand for. And that will greatly decrease the odds. Second, there's no way around this. We have to make training sacrifices for the sake of safety. So anytime someone says, well, you got to train how we fight. It's like, well, our goal is to train as close to how we would fight as we can. But sacrifices have to be made in the name of safety. So one of those might be looking at my holster to ensure I can get it in there safely. That's something that you just might have to do in training that you may not think is ideal for your tactics or whatever but you know like that's that's one of those sacrifices that has to be made in a training environment otherwise you get kicked out of the class and you're not going to be really prepared are you well
Riley Bowman: I mean we're concerned perhaps in like the real world context you're discussing of not getting holes put in me by a theoretical bad guy that could suddenly appear or suddenly re-animate and become a threat or something. Again, I should make sure and do everything within my power to make sure that doesn't happen in the first place, that there's no more threat to be dealt with. But, Whether I get a hole put in me by some bad guy or I put a hole in myself in that real-world supposed gunfight, those are both basically the equal.
Jacob Paulsen: Equally bad. So anyway, just give that some thought. The second sub-issue within the reholstering category is muzzling the body with the gun. I didn't come up with this, but I just can't remember who used the term first.
Riley Bowman: I use the same term all the time.
Jacob Paulsen: I call it inboarding. Yes. Yeah. So basically, and again, I think this is a habit that comes from having used a soft collapsible holster at some point in your life. And it is a habit that comes from this proprioception issue, just not being highly confident with the position of the holster relative to the gun when you go to reholster it. So the... The symptoms or the source of this problem might be the same as we just got done discussing. But what it looks like is instead of muzzling our hand, which we just got done thoroughly discussing, here we're talking about orienting the muzzle of the gun inward toward the body as you reholster and effectively muzzling yourself. And this is one of those things that is one of the major critiques of the appendix position that we hear all the time. I'm like, oh my gosh, you're pointing your gun right at your junk or at your femoral artery and all this stuff. But I'll just transparently share that it's my opinion that people who carry a strong side or traditional IWB, three, four, five o'clock are way more likely to do this. Appendix carriers tend to know that that's a risk and they can see what they're doing because it's in front of their body. So not to say that they don't do it because appendix carriers can do this to but people who carry it three or four o'clock where they really just don't have the same visual awareness of what how they're reholstering they're the ones i see do this all the time i shouldn't say all the time i they're i think statistically more likely to be the ones who i see with this this issue um yeah riley you're sharing an image that i'm kind of using to demonstrate this with a barrel block in the article yes
Riley Bowman: What we're talking about i just had thoughts like oh i could you know, just share it with the screen for those that are viewed in the podcast. And if you're not just go to the article, the articles in the link of the podcast. And yeah, and you can you can see this. But I, I think there's something about like trying to find the opening of the holster. And so like I think there's probably other things in our world, in our day to day environment where we run into similar kind of things, and it's like if I'm trying to, fit a you know a fairly tightly fitting object into a thing like if i ease it into that into that opening it's a little bit easier getting the rest of it in you know uh i don't know how to word that but so it's sort of like well if i get the front of the muzzle in the opening then the rest of the gun follows a lot more easily is kind of the thinking and it's just it's just It's poor form, it's bad practice, and it's definitely unsafe. And it definitely affects any gun carrier regardless of where you carry. I've seen it in the appendix position. I've seen it in the 3 o'clock or 4 o'clock position. I've seen it be an issue with somebody that's more kind of doing a cross-draw kind of thing to where you just, yeah, you inboard the gun on yourself. The way to prevent this, I've preached it for a long time now, a lot of years, is you keep the firing hand thumb, the one that's on the gun, you keep that thumb in contact with your belly or your side. If that's in contact, then the gun by nature has to basically be parallel with your body. And the other tip here, especially for appendix users, is take a step back with your dominant side leg and just kick your hips forward slightly. And it's going to clear everything out of the way. As far as like you're not going to have legs or your belly or your hips or that kind of thing in the way as you go into the holster. Again with your thumb of the firing hand in contact basically just sliding down your chest as you go to the holster for those of you in the three or four o'clock position if you just either bring your dominant side foot in a little bit or if you kick your hip out over your dominant side foot as you reholster it'll do something kind of the same as what i just discussed for appendix users i don't know when i started doing it but i think it was intuitive for me jacob for whatever reason that i just started uh kind of doing that you know when i was going to the to the holster on the hip uh just seemed i don't know i think it made me a little uncomfortable knowing if i had my feet truly at like shoulder width or slightly wider that meant going into the holster something below the holster had to be in line with the muzzle of the gun sure sure so yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: I mean a lot of a lot of you listening to this, and frankly, a certain percentage of people who we see exhibit this unsafe behavior are people who have dexterity challenges and or they're overweight. So that's not shaming anyone. And that might not be a situation you can change. Like just maybe that's what you have to deal with. So you have to figure out, maybe you can't, like Riley said, keep your thumb against the side of your body as you go to your three o'clock holster. Maybe that's like physically too difficult for you. Okay. But you just have to figure out how you're going to do it. Because what you can't do is point the gun at your hand and you can't point the gun at the body as you put it back in the holster. Once it's in the holster, it's in a safe direction no matter how it's oriented. We don't worry about it because the job of the holster is to keep that gun from discharging, right? Assuming you have a good holster. But as we're getting into that holster, that's a moment of risk. And so we cannot have it oriented at the body and we cannot muzzle the hand. So you just got to figure out, like, how am I going to manage that?
Riley Bowman: And for those viewing, I just put up the image that we could have referenced earlier when we were talking about getting the support hand in the way and muzzling the hand. So that's what we're talking about there. Well, let's move on to the number two safety violation.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, this one's tough. And this one might be the biggest problem that we see. And I'll try and describe it this way. In the article, I describe it as unsafe direction during administrative handling. So it's about an unsafe muzzle direction. You know, you're getting the muzzle off its angle, right? It's supposed to be pointed directly down range at the berm or at the target, at the backstop. And now what we start to notice come a little sideways, right? This almost never happens when the exercise for which you got the gun out of the holster is to just shoot those targets, then go back to the holster.
Riley Bowman: Or back to the table.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, or back to the table. It's just not an issue. Because you're just probably you've taken a class. If you listen to this podcast, certainly, then you have enough awareness to understand that I'm not supposed to turn this thing sideways. Anyways we the reason it's worded the way it is you know during administrative handling is because we see this happen when people have to manipulate this gun reloads happens um more a bigger one i'll tell you this one locking the slide back locking the slide back on a gun is difficult for a lot of people if you lack upper body strength you have arthritis you're dealing with some sort of issue uh you know there was a time in my life where i had a hard time lock locking my slide to the rear That's a common situation where that gun starts to go sideways a little bit or a lot. Dealing with a malfunction. Oh my gosh, that's a huge one. We'll find out how good your habits are when you have a malfunction in your gun. Because you feel stressed, you feel embarrassed, other people are going to notice that your gun is not working and you want to get it fixed so people will stop looking at you. And so you can continue with this class. Stress increases and all of a sudden safety goes out the doors. As you try and fix that gun and get it back operational again. So those are the kinds of things I mean when I say administrative handling. It's reloads. It's malfunction clearing. It's locking the slide to rear. Those are the kind of things that just for whatever reason, the gun goes sideways, and we have a muzzle direction problem that you otherwise would never have done. Like when you're just shooting and putting the gun away, like you might be fantastic 100% all the time, But those, these moments, these administrative moments, that's when it comes out.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, it's really important to understand. And this goes back to, I mean, I did a podcast episode quite a few years ago now. I think it might have been like around 150, episode 150 thereabouts. Yeah, a long time ago. I did an episode with my friend Mark Passamanik, who's a longtime instructor and shooter and competitor. And I don't know if he coined the term, but he refers to cognitive stack. And we've talked about that in this podcast numerous times since then and kind of adopted that term. And basically there's so much there's only so much crap we can fit in our heads at any one time you need our conscious part of our brain and uh depending on the individual some people can, handle a little more than others uh i'm not going to go into all the factors to why or how that is but the point is there's only so many things we can fit into that stack and again this is our conscious part of our brain. So as soon as something overwhelms us, meaning it overloads that cognitive stack, then stuff starts to fall out or get pushed out. And muzzle awareness in particular is one of those things that for whatever reason just goes out the window when you get all these stacking variables. Like you just said, malfunctions are a great example because, hey, I'm already having to learn enough today as it is as a student with, you know, drawing my gun out of a holster, learning the proper grip because, you know, Riley here showed me a different way of doing it because what I was doing before wasn't as effective. And, you know, I'm having a hard time not flinching. And so I'm trying to think of that. And, oh, my gosh, my gun's no longer working. Now what's going on? And so you're just there's all this happening. Now as instructors we try to be discerning we try to be careful not to throw too much at students for this very reason but sometimes things still happen and people still get overwhelmed and they the cognitive stack gets over full and now the only thing that matters is getting the gun working again so that means stuff like muzzle awareness well it fell by the wayside.
Jacob Paulsen: These things happen to everybody. I had a situation once where I was in a class. It was a carbine class. It was the very beginning of the class, and my dot failed. First shot fired, gun comes up, no dot. It rattled me. I don't think I muzzled anyone. As far as I know, I didn't do anything unsafe, but it definitely rattled me. All I could think about was how my dot wasn't working, and I was going to be in this two-day class, and oh, crap, what am I going to do?
Riley Bowman: Now what?
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, like it really screwed with me mentally. Like I stopped hearing anything the instructor was saying. So yeah, those are tough moments. And I'll add that when we build safety habits, you build the habit of muzzle direction, for example. Habits sometimes are not universal. In other words, you can build the habit of safe muzzle direction when shooting, when drawing, when reholstering. That does not mean you have the same habit when doing a reload. It does not mean you have the same habit when clearing a malfunction. It does not mean you have the same habit when you're just administratively unloading a gun or locking a slide to the rear. So these actions, like they get built into our system, into our memory system. The way the synapses are corresponded and wired together in the brain is such that being really good at muzzle direction in one circumstance does not guarantee that you'll execute it that way in another.
Riley Bowman: As much as possible wherever possible try to be i think it was my uncle that taught me this many many many years ago and he was like and it was before things like the cert pistol existed, uh but he was like imagine a laser beam that originates at your at the barrel of your gun, and so it's in perfect alignment with the barrel of the gun so that at all times wherever you are oriented you know here i have just a a not even a frame it's a grip module okay uh wherever this is oriented at all times a laser beam is in line with that and he's like whatever that laser beam touches is dead kind of thing you know that was the thinking that was like grilled into me as this young young man and uh if you can just have sort of like a lightsaber right but a never-ending lightsaber lightsabers you know i wish they existed i know you did too uh but whatever it touches man it's it's getting destroyed right so i just try to have that muzzle awareness at all times and it's challenging at times but you got to do it it's really really really critical because that bullet from your gun can only touch it can only hit whatever that laser beam actually ever points at. So yeah, muzzle direction is so key. We got a little bit of time here left. Jacob, why don't you tell us about number three?
Jacob Paulsen: The third one might seem similar at first, but stick with me and I'll try and explain the differentiation. So I call the third one the lingering finger. So the lingering finger is the finger that remains on the trigger when you're done shooting, but you've not yet put the gun away. And again, this comes down to what I was talking about a minute ago about how habits are formed. So the habit is, you know, when draw a gun, finger straight. When present gun, move finger to trigger. when done shooting and going to reholster gun, take finger off trigger, put gun back and holster. Those are traditional habits you build by going to classes or doing dry fire or whatever. But we screw with your brain. We effectively send you off in a different direction when we tell you to not shoot but not put the gun away. So things like target transition or movement. It's a really common one in movement. So you're going to walk down this line. You're going to engage this target when you're in front of it. And then when you're in front of this target, you'll engage this target, that kind of thing. Or movement like you're going to start from a seated position and then I want you to engage this target and then come to your knees and then engage the target again. Then come standing and then engage it again. That kind of thing where there's some sort of exercise or like a reload. Fire twice, reload, and then fire two more. These kinds of things, because the brain's never done this before, it's never practiced this. You've not done the dry fire you don't have any reps doing this one of the things the brain doesn't fire off and figure out and connect is that the finger needs to come off the trigger in those moments so it's like the finger goes on the trigger for a bang bang but because you know you're not done banging yet you're going to send some more pews into the target you just have to do this other thing in the middle the finger doesn't come off the trigger it stays so now you're going from a seated position to a kneeling position and the fingers on the trigger the whole time. Or you're moving, you know, three or four, you're taking three or four steps from the last target you engaged to get in front of the next target you're going to engage and the finger's on the trigger the whole time. And maybe even you're moving around a barrel or some sort of barricade that we should not be muzzling. That's kind of the point of the drill. But your finger stayed on the trigger. It lingered.
Riley Bowman: Yep. Yeah, it's like you said, this is a very common thing. As soon as it's sort of like that cognitive stack that we start throwing additional things at you in this case there's an image i'm putting on the screen from the article where you know somebody's performing a reload and finger stays inside the trigger i've seen this happen at uspsa matches uh where and i think part of it can develop in a context like competitive of shooting because you have the stage to yourself as the competitor. It's a safe environment. There's nobody downrange. There shouldn't be any reason for anybody to be downrange. You've got at least three berms to work with, two side berms and a back berm. You've got targets in different positions and you're running about trying to shoot them all accurately as quickly as you can. And I think it's easy to get a little bit lax for maybe some people to just like, well, I'm over here, but I only got to go three steps over here and shoot these ones. So you just start getting a little bit, I think, lax with things like trigger finger discipline. And so you know suddenly that turns into once you kind of crack that door to being a little bit lenient in your safety then you know keeping my finger inside the trigger guard as i take two or three steps that didn't seem like a big deal and nothing bad happened so well it's next time i and i'm not saying people like consciously think of it this way it just sort of develops and again it's that self-awareness like if you're not actively being self-aware it's easy for these kinds of things to creep in well next thing you know that turns into well now i'm performing a reload and my finger is staying inside the trigger guard and so i've seen it happen and people can get disqualified for a match you know for violating this rule for the lingering finger and you know certified range officers are there you know it's part of getting certified as range officers know the kind of things to look for and this is the sort of thing i've seen people get called out on is you know hey trigger fingers in the trigger guard and you're moving across this you know this shooting area or you're reloading or your gun malfunctioned and you were clearing it and you're still so it's just it it unfortunately happens all too commonly and you know really we're talking about here is some pretty basic safety you know like the basics firearm safety rules muzzle direction and trigger finger discipline and what do we see yeah there's a reason why those are in the rules because this lingering finger thing is very commonly a thing it happens.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah. Yeah. It's, it's here. We're, you know, we're trying to talk about three behaviors or violations, but they all come down to the same safety rules. I'm glad you said that. They're all the kind of things that you could very readily, like I said earlier, do and not know you're doing that. They're all probably happening because you're putting yourself in an environment or with gear or a situation is arising that you're not used to, that you don't have a lot of experience with, and that's common. And I'm not trying to poke at anybody, but they oftentimes are prone to individuals who have dexterity or other physical limitations of what they can see or how they can manage it or their ability to manipulate the gun and have the strength to do that, those kinds of things. All those people, I want them carrying and using guns of going to gun class. It just means that you need to have some awareness that, hey, I might be prone to some of these challenges because I know I struggle with this or that.
Riley Bowman: Yep.
Jacob Paulsen: I have this physical limitation that I have to deal with.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, and even with physical limitations, like those don't become excuses for safety violations. It just means we have, like you said, we have to find ways to work around those things. So if, you know, you've got arthritis in joints or you've had a surgery that, you know, where you've had certain things fused or you've got plates and nuts and bolts in you, and so you can't move certain ways, then you need to, like the common one, you know, talking about muzzle direction is people, they want to overhand grasp the slide. And that leads to them turning the pistol to their side so that they can then grasp it and bring it in close to their body and get a little more leverage and rack the slide. If that's what you got to do to rack the slide, then what do you need to do? Turn your body so that the muzzle stays in a safe direction.
Jacob Paulsen: Yep, figure it out.
Riley Bowman: Yep. Well, it's time to unfortunately wrap it up. We got to get on to some other appointments and things today. Today's episode is sponsored by ksg armory holsters ksgarmory.com and barrel block barrel block that's spelled b-l-o-k just with a k barrel block.com for safe dry fire practice i want to throw at you two more training resources folks we have a gun safety course a virtual gun safety course it's available online at concealed carry.com you can go to concealed carry.com forward slash gun safety course and you can also sign up for the shooting fundamentals course another virtual online video course that's concealed carry.com forward slash sf for shooting fundamentals so those links are in the show notes as well so a couple resources there you can go watch and review those training resources for additional help and tips.
Jacob Paulsen: Very good.
Riley Bowman: So final words, parting words?
Jacob Paulsen: Just be introspective and be open to feedback from people you go shooting with or your instructor. Be vulnerable in these things. Film yourself and figure out how to manage safety within the confines of your limitations that you may have. Yeah. And have a quality holster. That's right.
Riley Bowman: And here we are at the start of a new year. And so let's get started off the right way with good gun safety in mind. That would be my parting words, and so until next time, a reminder to train right, train often, and train safe so you can fight hard, fight fast, and fight true. A reminder that laws vary from place to place, and we encourage listeners to seek local legal advice to understand applicable laws. Concealed Carry, Inc., its brands and properties, and the Concealed Carry podcast is not a legal service, nor are we attorneys at law. We make our best faith effort to share Concealed Carry-related insights and information about firearm-related incidents and the laws pertaining, based on our own understanding and experience. But things can be different where you live, or laws may have changed by the time you listen to this. We cannot be held liable for your actions based on the information shared in this podcast. Please exercise care with all things pertaining to firearm use, Concealed Carry, and always practice following basic firearm safety rules. More information about safety can be found at concealedcarry.com forward slash safety.