Riley Bowman: And welcome to the Concealed Carry Podcast, part of the ConcealedCarry.com network, brought to you by HK. Today is Thursday, October 30th, 2025, as of the recording of this episode. And I am your host, Riley Bowman. This is going to be a special episode, actually a re-release of a already published episode from December 2021. I'll get to that in a moment. Trust me, you're going to stick around and listen to it. If you already heard that episode three plus years ago, you're probably going to get value out of hearing it again. And if you haven't, well, you missed it. And so this is your opportunity. It's worthwhile to catch this episode. I'll get to that in a moment. But first, today's episode is brought to you by Guardian Nation. Guardian Nation is our membership program available to you that's going to grant all kinds of access to special deals, discounts. You're going to save on products at concealedcarry.com always, 100% of the time, every day, all day, all day long. But you also can get discounts off of products from companies like CCW Safe and others. One of the big benefits is that you're going to also get free and complete access to our entire video training library that we call Guardian University. Something that's going to come in big handy here in like a week or so. I'm not going to say exactly what that is just yet, but something you're going to maybe want to consider joining is Guardian Nation. Join Guardian Nation today by going to guardiannation.com. One additional big benefit is we just shipped out recently our most recent, that's a little bit redundant, but our most recent Gearbox. Every quarter we send out at least $120 worth of quality, useful concealed carry slash self-defense slash survival, whatever. But mostly it's concealed carry related gear. Every quarter we're going to ship to you $120 worth of value of quality gear that you can put to use. That's going to be helpful to you in living your concealed carry lifestyle. So check out guardianation.com today to learn more about all the amazing benefits, and especially so that you can make sure you're taking advantage of all of the wonderful training content we have at Guardian University. Along with that, please head over to concealedcarry.com forward slash newsletter, concealedcarry.com forward slash newsletter, and make sure you're on our newsletter, because that's also going to be handy as in a couple of days. In fact, I think Monday of this coming week, from the time this is released, there will be a series of emails we send out over a few days with some really important and helpful information, free, free information, stuff that's going to be really educational for you. You won't want to miss it. Again, go to concealedcarry.com forward slash newsletter if you're not already on our newsletter so that you make sure you don't miss any of those helpful emails. Thanks for listening to our sponsor messages here today. And now let's get into introducing what today's episode content is about. This re-released episode, as I mentioned, was recorded with Scott Jadlinski of Modern Samurai Project back in December of 2021. And we were talking about setting up your Red Dot Pistol for success. On our YouTube channel, we get comments about this episode. I think that, you know, obviously Scott Jadlinski, if you're not familiar with him, he is the owner of Modern Samurai Project. He is a full-time firearms instructor and coach. He travels the country teaching citizens as well as law enforcement and military how to more effectively shoot and especially how to better use and shoot with an optic on pistols. I would say he is the country's foremost expert in doing this. And so that's why we had him on the podcast a couple of years ago. He's actually been on more than once. I think I originally had him on the podcast back in, I want to say, 2019 or thereabouts. After I had attended his course with him, I actually traveled to Iowa to take that course. And it was a fantastic course. And if you ever have the opportunity to train with him, I would encourage you to do so. You can learn more about his courses at modernsamurayproject.com. Anyway, we had him on a couple of times now, probably time to get him on again, I would say. But this, again, was a very important episode that I thought was worth resharing again, just shy of four years after it was initially released. So I know you're going to enjoy listening to this episode today with Scott Jablinski. He's a friend of mine, and I'm also one of his endorsed instructors, having also gone through his instructor development course as well. So enjoy this episode i'll see you on the flip side for a quick outro thanks for listening Jedi you see more of this than anybody in the industry probably so you know you see all kinds of pistols come through your classes you see all kinds of red dots on those guns you see all kinds of mounting solutions uh so what i wanted to start with here today is i don't think we really did this any justice the last time we had you on we were probably more focused on the some of the more technique stuff a couple questions related to what we were just on uh so first of all uh closed emitter versus open emitter okay how important is that really i
Scott Jedlinski: Think it depends on what you do right i think if you're a concealed carrier uh and you're most of the time your optic is covered with a garment and. Uh, exposure to the elements isn't all that important. Okay. Number one, right. If you are a professional, right. Law enforcement or military, and there could be times where you're out in the elements, right. Uh, even though I'm still looking for that officer that comes to my class, it's been in that gunfight in the rain with the pistol still hasn't happened yet, but, um, where the sites mattered, right. I guess I should say, uh, still looking for that guy, but you know, you have more of a propensity to be in those situations, then closed emitter might be more, you know, attractive to you. If you're a SEAL doing saltwater beach landings, then you need a closed emitter. You know, you'll do, according to my buddy, Kyle DeFore, an open emitter will make about one or two, and then the saltwater just eats it alive. So you need a closed emitter for of that stuff right it really depends on what you do and your price point the great thing is man holy cow if you work the discounts right if you time it just right you can get an amazing optic for 250 275 bucks that's going to last you 10 000 15 000 rounds these days with like things like with like hollow sun offerings and things like that what a great time what a great time to be alive i get excited about silly stuff like that it.
Riley Bowman: Really is i mean how much how far we've come in just three or four years in this space is quite remarkable i remember wandering the shot show floor uh like four years ago five years ago maybe that's probably like four years ago and i remember saying like i what i said i think it was four years ago and i said five years from now every manufacturer We'll make pistols that are optic ready and we'll be seeing pistols where that's becoming the thing. Like it becomes like standard equipment almost, you know, and we actually... And not that I'm a special profit or anything like that, but that was kind of my observation, walking around, kind of, you know, paying attention to the feel of the industry. I was like, that's what's going to happen. It's actually happened a lot quicker than what I anticipated myself. So it really is a remarkable time that we're in. So a couple other questions. So you talked about closed emitters. I do feel like I would be remiss if I didn't explain for the sake of some of our newer listeners, closed emitter versus open emitter. Closed is where the optic, everything is enclosed within a box, okay, to keep it simple, right? So with these red dot optics, you have an emitter. It's a little point source of light that, you know, basically like shining like a, almost like a laser beam, although it's not exactly a laser. It's not blinding your, your, or burning your retina or anything like that, but shining a little led light that's focused in a point hits the glass, comes back, bounces to your eye. So that's where you see the red dot. You got to have that source of light coming from somewhere to bounce off the glass. So closed emitter, it's all enclosed. It's protected from the weather, from the elements, from the dust open emitter. Yeah. You can get some water in there. You can get some water on the glass. You'll get some dust on there, whatever. It might occlude some of your vision and stuff. Typically it'll work just fine, but sometimes if it got bad enough, maybe it won't. But to your point, if you're carrying concealed, probably not the biggest concern. Or also the other point, you have yet to meet a law enforcement officer that actually was in a gunfight where that would have mattered, where they were in a downpouring rain and it would have caused their optic to not work.
Scott Jedlinski: Yep. All right.
Riley Bowman: Battery life. I'm going to ask about that. Cause you touched on that a little bit, like the Acro P2 from, uh, from Aimpoint, uh, they came up with the P1 a few years ago. Uh, everyone was all excited, but then they found out, oh, the battery lasts like a month. And, and that was, uh, you know, some people probably be like, well, it's not a big deal. Cause it's, I can just change it externally. It doesn't, you know, I just make sure I change my battery every few weeks and move on with life, but it's not ideal. So what are we seeing these days that is, when you say has something has good battery life, what does that mean? What is good battery life considered?
Scott Jedlinski: Um, I, so people are going to be probably, um, a little surprised by my answer on this. Right. So, uh, functionally for me, good battery life, three months. Three months right um and this is not scientific this is just me knowing me about someone who probably has other than that person getting into that self-defense encounter whose dots gone out there's probably no one else that had whereas more of an embarrassing situation then they set up to the line and their dots gone out than me right as an instructor okay so the rule of thumb um i don't know where if i just made this up right guys right when i take whatever the manufacturer's rating is For example, the RMR is two years, and I divide by four. So with the RMR, I would change it out every six months. Then with the side and top loading batteries and stuff like that, I'm like, well, it's so easy. Let me do a little insurance policy and cut that in half and did three months. So I change out all my batteries every three months. Okay. I think when you're talking quarterly, that is a substantial amount of time. Anybody can put that on their calendar or remember that, right? It's a good chunk of time where you're not constantly worried about, oh, it's my battery dead. It's my battery dead. It's my battery dead, right? Four to six weeks, you're constantly worrying about that, right? Because life goes through cycles. And there've been too many times when people came to my class with an Acro P1 and their batteries went dead, right? I would literally joke, you bring extra batteries. They're like, yep, okay, TD1 or TD2, 11 o'clock. Well, sorry, got to go change out my battery, right? That was unacceptable to me, and I was very vocal about that, right? Just as vocal as I've had the P2, and the thing's been flawless. I've had it for five months. Cody at Walther gave it to me, had it for a month before that. So that battery's on for six months on the same battery through various lighting conditions, and it's been absolutely flawed. So good job, Aimpoint, coming back to living up to your own standard, right? So why is three months my thing? It's just because it's a quarterly thing, right? I will tell you, though, that the other reason why in testing that out is if you run the 509 or the SRO in various lighting conditions, right, always changing them like I do. You know, one day I could be in Overcast, Pennsylvania. The next day I'm in, you know, Broward County, Florida, right, constantly changing, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. if you run those optics hard, it's three to four months on the battery. I don't care what Trijicon or Holosun says. It's three to four months on the battery. Okay. Now, is that a deal breaker? Absolutely not. Like I said, I had that quarterly three month thing in my head well before those wind up being that way. So it's arbitrary. It's completely arbitrary. It's not scientific. I just, you know, you can base things out on quarterly, you know, everyone's heard of a quarterly business plan, you know, or quarterly budget, right? Or something to that effect, right? So quarterly is how I judge batteries, your mileage may differ, but that, that bellwether has served me well.
Riley Bowman: So I'm in the same boat. I changed my battery and my optics every three months.
Scott Jedlinski: Oh, see, we didn't even talk about that. I didn't know that. Okay, cool.
Riley Bowman: Yep. Now, some of that's because I have to with my particular optic. You know I'm running the Romeo 1. Okay. Still. Yeah. That might change this year. We'll see.
Scott Jedlinski: But you're doing the 1 or the Pro?
Riley Bowman: Mine is the 1.
Scott Jedlinski: Oh, Jesus. Come on, bro.
Riley Bowman: Get out of here. Dude, I'm still on the original one that I've had since I bought my first. I got it because I bought the SIG 320 RXP model, just the standard model, however many years ago. I think four years ago now. I bought it, maybe three and a half. And I bought it just to start playing with the red dot. And I started playing with it, started playing with it, shot it, still keep running it. And I have documented in excess of 20,000 rounds on that optic.
Scott Jedlinski: How old is that optic?
Riley Bowman: It is three. I'd have to go check some paperwork, but it's, it's more than three years old.
Scott Jedlinski: So it's a hollow sun.
Riley Bowman: So, I just keep running it, but the battery life's not that great on it. But every three months, I change it out.
Scott Jedlinski: Yeah. Are you going to go to the Romeo Pro or are you going to go to a Max?
Riley Bowman: Well, so I run the Romeo 3 Max on my competition gun.
Scott Jedlinski: Oh, that's right. That's right.
Riley Bowman: Just competition use. If I switch to something else, I think I will switch to an SRO because I'm perfectly happy to run an SRO in my carry context. Context of, you know, just what I do in my day-to-day life. And I like the size of the window.
Scott Jedlinski: Yep. So, yep. So I'm going to give you a piece of advice for the SRO though. Like, and I do, I love the SRO too. You know how I feel about that. When you, well, you always drive, do you ever fly?
Riley Bowman: I do fly some. Okay.
Scott Jedlinski: So if you fly and you have that in your case, if it's an upright case, you need to take the slide off the frame and put the slide low because I've lost two SROs to TSA. Not because the SRO, but because it sits higher and it rests right on top and TSA, man, they see locks and cases and they just start throwing stuff. And I don't think that's the SRO. I think if, I don't know, man, I honestly think about a different optic that was that high up against the thing. I might experiment with that, man. I got more hollow suns than I know what to do with. I think I'm going to do that. I think I'm going to put like some wedge, like a wedge for a, platform underneath my guns and put it right at the top and see what happens to those hollow suns that'd be interesting i don't know completely off kilter nobody cares about that but weird stuff that we think about right yeah.
Riley Bowman: A couple other questions, just kind of specific to the dots. We covered the mailboxes. We covered battery life. So open emitters, what are you seeing there that's working, not working, so forth?
Scott Jedlinski: The king is still the RMR, right? I mean, there's just so many out there in the market. The thing of it is the RMR is that heavy lifting, man. It's been through hell. It's your first car, right? That your dad had, that your older brother had, and now you have, right? It's been fixed. It's been repaired. There's been more mods to it, right? And the thing just keeps on going, right? What would I like to see?
Riley Bowman: It's that old Toyota Camry that has 240,000 miles on it. Right. Keeps chugging. Right.
Scott Jedlinski: Yeah. I wouldn't want to stand in front of it. You know what I mean? Because it's still going to keep on working, right? And the thing about it, man, it's just like that car, man. You learn how to fix cars on that car right you learn how to shoot the dot on that arm or you do that everything else is downhill right yep um what would i would like to see from trijicon i you know uh don't change the uh the form set you made it one smaller make one bigger now make one bigger so uh so yeah it's still the trijicon rmar that's still the king um what would be number two hollow sun yeah all varieties the 509 is probably the 509 is probably easy number two now because it's so available um everybody likes that closed emitter the price point is good um the window is perfectly in between the size of an rmr and an sro um so yeah that's easily number two uh.
Riley Bowman: And for if if you were limiting it to open emitter would you still say hollow sun and like
Scott Jedlinski: Yeah, probably 508, 507, 508. Yep. Yeah. Just because it's so cost-effective, they're durable enough, you know what I mean, and good return policy. So everything else is just a smattering of stuff.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. Yeah. Those two kind of tend to stand out. Everything else is clamoring for third place, essentially. Yeah.
Scott Jedlinski: Still a big market, though. Still a huge market, especially, you know, I mean, this is what we call in business an emerging market that everyone's clamoring to get in. And even if you're not top dog, man, there's still a lot of consumer base to go after.
Riley Bowman: A lot. I mean, by and large, most gun owners and gun carriers are still not running red dots. So there's still a large wave coming in that respect.
Scott Jedlinski: Oh, yeah.
Riley Bowman: Uh, I would, I would say that we're past the early adoption phase, but not quite, you know, widespread use either. So we're, we're definitely on that steep uphill climb and it's growing fast.
Scott Jedlinski: Yep.
Riley Bowman: How about on micro pistols? I mean, we see things like the, uh, obviously Holston there, the 507, 407 K models, the Romeo zero. We've got Swamp Fox with an entry there. We've got, of course, the RMSC was the thing for the only thing you had for a couple of years there. What are your thoughts there on micro pistols? And is it worthwhile considering still having a red dot on micro gun? And if so, which one?
Scott Jedlinski: You're an American. Do what you want. Yeah. Right. If you keep on telling yourself that overhang of the larger optic over your mini gun, uh, uh, your compact gun is going to cause snagging on your draw. You're, you're lying to yourself, man. You just want it to be aesthetically pleasing. And I get it. I get it, dude. Right. If I'm going to go out there and I'm going to spend, you know, uh, four or five, six, maybe seven grand on a custom 1911. I think I don't want my optic to overhang, you know what I mean? So put on an arm or CC on there. Right. Um, if, cause it's just that it's aesthetics guys. First of all, I don't understand that your small little compact gun is ugly to begin with. It's not just stop. Right. So I'm just kidding. I can't do what you guys do. Do what you want to do. Right. But like, it's like, Oh, small guy, small optic. No, stop, stop. Right. That's like small car, small steering wheel. No, that's ridiculous. Stop doing that. But do what you want. You know what I mean? Again, if I was going to go out and I was going to spend like four grand, four or five grand, six grand on a Lusbert 1911, get it milled, would I put an arm RCC on there? Probably not. But you might want to just because it's so aesthetically pleasing. Right the one thing i want to caution people out of right is the whole thing if i want a small optic so that i can use my stock iron sights and do an absolute co-witness that's ridiculous they're two different sighting systems zero your irons zero your dot if they line up that's a byproduct not a, not a goal not a goal right and make sure you get a good one the 407 507k great optics right. The RMRCC is a great optic. As a matter of fact, man, the thing with the RMRCC, dude, if you just looked at it and I didn't tell you what it was, you would just think it was a regular RMR. You know what I mean? Because it's thinner, only 0.1 millimeters shorter, right? So it's a great optic. Not a fan of anything made by Shield. Hard stop. Swamp Fox, I keep on mentioning them just because... They got a great price point and the glass seems to be clear uh they have not earned their right to be mentioned with those other companies yet uh but they're out there they're out there so you know it is what it is um i think swamp fox is that one's like well you know i've got this gun that already came milled from the factory i want to try it but i want to spend a lot of cheddar i don't want to buy you know something i don't know so let's get this and the glass is clean the dot's bright you know um is it robust i don't think it has i don't think it's been brought through enough for anybody to uh comment on whether or not it's a robust optic yet i don't think anybody's expecting that with the price point either you know it's a plinking gun uh it's a plinking optic for the most part right uh hopefully i would like to be corrected uh and uh made wrong uh because again more competition in the marketplace benefits everybody so um what else uh yeah that's generally how i feel about that don't like the sig zero at all. Uh i've had uh six come through my classes none of them have made it through as a matter of fact i don't think any of them have made it through day one okay yep yep yep so that's how i feel about small optics but that's the same how i feel about guns more gun more better more optic more better for the most part you know what i mean uh yes i am a firearms instructor i can carry any gun that i want uh for the most part right but you know you do you you do you.
Riley Bowman: What would you say is, is your expectation in terms of round count that, you know, for a, for a good quality optic? I mean, I, I remember a time and I would say even amongst the competition shooters, there's plenty of competition shooters that are like perfectly happy to get 5,000 rounds out of an optic. And if they got a warranty, they send it in to get a new one and they, you know, carry on their way, you know, but like, what would you say is, uh, when you, when we talk about. Robustness or durability like what's the expectation based on uh
Scott Jedlinski: To be that top tier yeah 10 grand yeah 10 grand uh and i think they're much higher than that right um but for most people 10 grand's a lifetime yeah right uh for for me i was about to say me and you but you probably shoot more than i do these days uh 10 grand is five months for me you know um, yeah so uh if we do it based on time though um have i had any of my optics fail in five months i have not i have not right but i think to be considered a a true player um 10 grand yeah 10 yeah 10 10 000 rounds and i and i think you can be counted amongst uh the echelon of getting there yeah i'm getting there so on the other hand with the acro i wouldn't even give my blessing until i hit five months and uh six thousand so yep cool.
Riley Bowman: Cool that's that's all good information yeah i i go through this with you just again because you see more than anybody and and i want my listeners to make good choices you know i mean obviously like you said it's america do what you want yep uh maybe as someone maybe a person considers themselves just a plinker and a hobbyist and like, okay, whatever, do your thing. But, uh, this is the concealed carry podcast. People are carrying more and more optics, uh, on their concealed pistols. And, um, you know, I want to know, I want our listeners to know what's working, what's get, you know, what has the reputation, what make, make a, make the best informed, well-informed decision you can, uh, for on that gun that you are carrying for, to, to, uh, save your life with. So, yeah, yeah. Cool. So what, you know, now we start making the, let's make that crossover into now optic attached to pistol,
Scott Jedlinski: Right?
Riley Bowman: Mounting solutions. Uh, what works, maybe what's not working so well, what, what's, what's king of the hill and what are some things you see that, uh, are frequent causes for failures?
Scott Jedlinski: Yeah, so we're in a period of... We're like in the beginning of the enlightenment with mounting solutions, right? We used to think that we were, but, you know, 2012, 13, 14, we were just discovering fire. We didn't know what that was going to do with it, but we were discovering it. You know what I mean? Old school guys, you know, Dave Bowie, Doug Holloway, you know, there's a couple other old school guys that did that stuff as well. Man, those dudes discovered fire. God bless them. God bless them, right? Now we come modern day age where most factories have a carry optics ready or an optics ready pistol. And then the mounting solutions come in. Most mounting solutions in the beginning were not good. We're not good at all right the mos is the mos is still garbage sorry glock love you it's still garbage you know what i mean um what but much like everything else glock does it starts off with his uh accessories being garbage and then an entire aftermarket uh grows out of it right um, before we start talking about those mounting solutions though the aftermarket ones i will you this um you know uh fn was the first one who got it right the very first try out uh their mounting solution is probably uh for a factory mounting solutions is probably the best in the industry best in the industry right um and everyone kind of discounts fn i mean they were the they were the production og with the fnx 45 tactical man um i i used to have one and i never had problems with that gun and its mounting solution. But then with the 509, they did a great job on that. Everybody else, meh. Walther came late into the game, and they had all the bosses and everything like that, so they did a good job, but they were late in the game, right? But primarily, it was Glock and SIG, right, and M&P. And from that, you have an entire aftermarket plate issue, more notably CNH Precision, right? Mm-hmm. Who Buck and them kind of changed the game, taking and working with Zev about the mounting posts and stuff, kind of changing the way we think about how things have to be mounted and things of that nature. And they've absolutely exploded. Right. There's some growing pains. Sure. You know, name the company that explodes like that, that is growing pains. And I'll show you a company that's lying to you. Right. But every day they innovate And for right now For most applications man They're the de facto choice A lot of other good options out there Forward controls Forward design controls Great company Good designs, Scott Springer Precision has been making adapter plates For competition based guns For a while now Those are good products and everything So I think we have. We have the core answer in the aftermarket available for all factory options, right? I think some of the things that we're looking out for that we're still at, we're still not there is that it's still just not a, the offering is not ubiquitously consistent. How about that? I should make Aaron Cowan pay me $100 for those two words, man. You know what I mean though? Yep. You know what I mean? I have plates from CNH or other companies that are bulletproof. I have others that I can't run out of downward elevation on it because the plate's out of spec. It is what it is. For me, it's not that big of a deal. I just call and pay for getting it overnight or something like that. But for your average user, I think that's something that manufacturers. And Buck's a very good friend of mine. He's a business partner of mine, very good friend of mine. Right. But I'm talking to all the guys who manufacture mounting solutions, right? You need to know that for the average dude, that hundred bucks he just paid while he's waiting at his door with his blue Loctite and his Wheeler, uh, torque, uh, you know, uh, uh, screw, uh, screwdriver. Uh, that's a lot of money to him. Right. And we need to get it to the point where it is ubiquitously consistent. And that's what I'd like to see out of those, I don't see how those guys they're right there, man. They're, they are right there. Right. And believe me, man, you know, I probably have the closest relationship with Buck and when it doesn't happen and I hear about it, he hears about it and he takes it on the chin, sometimes too hard. No, I'm just kidding. Like, let me, buddy, you know, but it's all about everybody getting better. You know what I mean? So there's that. Um. The biggest thing where people fall down in the install is the installation process, right? I can't tell you, especially my LE brothers. I love you to death, man. But you got to put Threadlocker on your stuff. You got to do it. You got to. I mean, just throw the blue stuff on there, man. You're a gun guy. You probably have blue Loctite coming out your drawers right now, you know, from all the stuff that you bought. Some people love VC3. I'm not smart enough to use, yeah, I, yeah, I'm not smart enough to use ViberTite VC3, I guess, right? I just turn everything pink and nothing seems to stay. I have other dudes, my buddy, Jim Dexter, that, you know, swears, swears on the Bible with that stuff, man. But so here's what I do, right? Just so everybody knows, right? But I'm a little bit, I'm extreme in that, but I, I have my setup pretty much down. If it is a screw-mounted one, like all your open emitters for the most part are screw-mounted ones, right? Now, these days, for the plate, I am red-lock-tyking the base plate down. I skip Viber-Tite. I skip the blue. I red-lock-type that thing, okay? Now, I'm fortunate that I have enough guns that I can just... I don't, if I want to try another optic, I just go get another gun. You know what I mean? That sounds conceited and stuff like that, but it is what it is guys. That's what I do for a living. You know what I mean? Uh, to where I don't have to worry about changing out plates and now plates. I mean, you know, if I want to try a Holosun or a Trijicon product, it's the same plate. You know what I mean? Um, uh, yeah.
Riley Bowman: Well, and you know, people, I hear we going with this because, you know, I mean like that plate is the thing is, is that for instance, on an optic, on an open optic, an emitter optic i i assume that you witness mark your screws
Scott Jedlinski: Yeah right i remember too yeah yep yeah.
Riley Bowman: To make sure that you can you know inspect your equipment like you should and yep things are still where they should be nothing's backing out you know that kind of thing but it's hard to do that with a plate that you don't see like you can't
Scott Jedlinski: Right like.
Riley Bowman: A plate's good until it's not right yeah it fails and you're like oh crap so like i could totally see the logic in that red lock tight lock that sucker down never hopefully it never ever ever moves and if you do have to swap it out well you know what it's not impossible to move it's just it's more
Scott Jedlinski: No it's actually quite easy i have a i have a travel pack soldering iron that i bought at lowe's for 14 bucks heat that sucker up put it on the screw wait for a minute heat the other one up wait for a minute boom it can come right out you know exactly um and it is the foundation it is the foundation uh for the regular screws uh the uh the mounting screws i just use blue loctite right the key is guys you don't need they don't need to turn the screw blue man it's just a little bit just a little bit and what i still do is i go all the way down all the way up all the way down uh the one thing i will say for example because they use the m3 screws cnh only uh recommends 10 um inch pounds of torque i'm mongo that thing man i go 20. that's right, Because here's the deal. If I break it, I got backup supplies. Get backup supplies. Yeah, yeah. Get backup supplies for that stuff. You know what I mean? So that's the biggest thing of mounting, which is probably the other advantage, however, with closed emitters because they all have the clamping style of it. You only have two screws. You only have the two mounting screws, right? And then you have the side clamp screw, which really isn't a failure point at all because it's so long and so deep in the crossbar. It doesn't really – I don't think it doesn't have as much exposure to reciprocating forces. You know what I mean? I've never had one back out on me. I mean, between the 509s, the Acro, and the Steiner, I've never had one back out on me. You know what I mean? So it's just less points of failure. And I think that's the other reason why the closed emitter clamping style is another reason why the closed emitter is attractive.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. Yeah. Okay. Good. Good. Yeah. I was just going to say, you know, with respect to mounting, I mean, I think one thing a lot of people get wrong is torque. And the, you know, requisite Loctite or threadlocker of some kind. I spent probably more time than I should in various online forums, and you see all these different complaints. Nine times out of ten, the problems that the users experience is something that they did with the failure to install things correctly.
Scott Jedlinski: Yep, user-induced operator error.
Riley Bowman: Read the instructions, use the necessary equipment, torque everything properly, and then witness mark it too. and just regularly inspect your gear and should have no problems. I use quality, you know, don't use cheap screws. I definitely, you know, Buck over at CNH has been great to get screws from and I know that they're quality screws. You know, instead of I bought it on Amazon or wish or something, you know, and
Scott Jedlinski: All you got to do is go to, uh, oh my God, what's the Harbor Freight. And a thousand screws is like four bucks. Yeah. You know, just in case now you got to make sure that thing is secure because it gets messed up in your luggage. You got to basically an M3 screw grenade in your, in your luggage when you try and do your laundry and stuff ask me how i know ask me how i know right um but yeah so here and here's the thing right i've told people like hey man if you're going to be in the dot you need to do one of two things right right now you need to go buy the wheeler set right the torque uh uh the uh torque screwdriver uh and uh and or uh a fix it sticks the physics kits man great stuff well i don't need to do that with my irons gun i'm like son you're trying to be a craftsman you have invested in a higher level of sighting system, man. And since you're talking to me, you probably have, that means you've invested in a higher level of training. You need to be a craftsman and a craftsman has tools that support his tools. So get with it, get with it. Stop being immortal, talking about your iron sights.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. After I saw your fix it sticks kit, I was like, I got to get me that. And I got it. You know, the, the works kit, which comes with pretty much everything you need.
Scott Jedlinski: Oh, for pistol or rifle.
Riley Bowman: Yeah.
Scott Jedlinski: Yeah.
Riley Bowman: It's a great little kit. Kind of spiny, but I, you know what, just, Hey, it's an investment that's worth, worth making. And it has been, it's paid dividends again and again and again.
Scott Jedlinski: I've beaten that kit up, man. Right. I can't tell you how many times, you know, before I was on the road all the time, I'd go by and like, Oh, I don't have this. Go out and, you know, go get your, you know, your Lowe's cobalt kit. Right. And that's, that screw is in there, but you almost got it. And all of a sudden the bit goes, you know, and you're like, oh my God, I stripped the screw. No, I stripped the bit. How did I, what the cheap garbage is that? It's high quality stuff. You're getting your money's worth.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, absolutely. Awesome. Um, okay. So many solutions.
Scott Jedlinski: Yeah.
Riley Bowman: Sites backup sites
Scott Jedlinski: First of all how.
Riley Bowman: Important are they and if you're gonna have them like what are your thoughts there
Scott Jedlinski: Yeah uh so here's the thing with that man um part of this is just fueled by my own like i'm not ocd about anything except for my teaching and my shooting right uh and my tools my guns support those things uh your guns already milled for them just put them in there your gun looks dumb with those empty gaps oh i i saved 45 by not having in there what what what so just just put them in there okay um, Which do I prefer? I prefer blacked out, right? If you want to go with some tritium thing, stuff like that, hey man, knock yourself out. If you are truly shooting target focus, you won't see it anyway. You know what I mean? You don't want them too tall, right? As Buck likes to call it, you want to have some low witness ones, right? The ones that I endorsed that he and Night Vision did a thing. I want to call it like a 132nd, 116th, you know what I mean? You barely see it over the top there. It does have, you know, it does have the tritium in front. Cause that's what night vision sites are. Sorry if I'm stepping on excess guys, sorry.
Riley Bowman: No, no, no.
Scott Jedlinski: Okay. So what I do is when I put them on my gun, man, I just take that Sharpie and go. And that fixes that the cool i will tell you the cool thing though man if it's truly a nightstand gun right you're going to see two things in the dark your dot and that glowing tritium through the sharpie right uh does it is it is it crucial no is it cool to find it yeah you know what i mean so yeah yep so backup irons uh do it yeah do it you know and and here's the other thing man, For example, Jared Reston will tell you, look, for square range shooting straight up, you know. Non-off axis shooting, man, if you're seeing your sights when you're shooting the dot, you're doing it wrong. But sometimes, sometimes you're an extreme off axis behind cover around cars, yada, yada, right, where your head can't be aligned with it and your gun's not aligned in a vertical position. Sometimes using those irons right in extreme off kilter positions can help you find that just like you can with a rifle just like you can with a rifle you know what i mean um so why not it's not the answer the question is not why the question is why not you know so just another gross sight picture it goes right we talked about gross sight pictures right backplate window guillotine the next gross site picture up iron sites the next refined up from that dot next refined up from that distance lpvo you know why not have all those options especially if they don't slow you down.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. And I appreciate you making the point of you don't need and don't necessarily want to have backup irons that are perfect co-witness through the optic window, because that's just stuff getting your way of using the dot and it's an intended purpose. Right you know i see that you know and i see the photos posted on instagram and stuff all the time i'm like what the heck is up with these big old massive tall irons it just like you said you just need their backup irons something goes wrong with the dot hey i just need a little front post and a little rear notch and we're good yep
Scott Jedlinski: Yep you'll hear that all the time like in competition and stuff like that it's like well i don't need a blah blah blah what if your dot goes down bro you're shooting that seymour thing right the rts2 or whatever that is right and i was like well then i'll just you know i'll just window the whole thing.
Riley Bowman: Yep doesn't usually work very well yeah
Scott Jedlinski: How'd that work out for you on the stage ah you know six mics you know okay if you would have had irons you might only had two.
Riley Bowman: Yeah yeah yeah yeah for sure for sure yeah cool i i think uh so far what we've talked about has been uh pretty valuable information i think for folks especially if you're just getting into the red dot game or if you just want to make sure you're getting things set up uh properly uh what else
Scott Jedlinski: Can i add yeah let me add one more thing to that i think you're gonna ask me that anyway right um, The biggest piece of kit outside of the actual pistol and dot that will encourage proper performance with it is get a good holster, man. I can't tell you. I mean, because the draw is the foundation, right? What's the main complaint? I can't find the dot on the draw. Okay, why? Well, your mechanics, you know, are horrible, blah, blah, blah. But a lot of the time, man, it's because you have this horrible, ill-fitting holster that either has not enough retention, so it's spilling out, or way too much retention so that when you pull it, it snaps over your head from the kinetic energy. You know what I mean? It's not in the right place. It's too low. It's too high. Get a good holster, right? What does a good holster mean to you? I don't know how you carry it, right? If it's an AIWB, it needs to have a wide or two contact mounting points. It needs to have a claw. It needs to have some sort of wedge involved, right? And it needs to have adjustable retention, okay? The draw needs to be effortless, but if you're jumping up and down, the gun doesn't pop out, right? But the whole is the foundation. If you have a bad holster, right, you're not going to get to the level of skill that you want to. Especially with the unforgiving dot.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. Well, and to that point, I mean, that is the number one complaint when I'm talking with folks that don't know much, don't have much time behind a red dot pistol. They feel like it's slower. they feel like they're they're worse off because they you know you can't find the dot or it's inconsistent or or you know oh i'm just taking too long get it all lined up perfectly on the target and stuff so like to that point um and you're answering one part of that equation already very very nicely very perfectly in that you're you're you're correct if you don't have the correct grip from the, from the get-go. And that starts right from the holster. So the holster is fouling you up. Like, yeah, of course you're going to struggle. Of course you're going to have issues.
Scott Jedlinski: You saw that in the last class you were with, with me at, right? You can't lead a horse to water. I mean, I don't know why somebody would pay. Five, $600 to come to my class and then not listen to what I say, but whatever, fam, you do what you want. It's your money. You know what I mean? But we saw that with that guy. Holster was, you know, uh, non-conducive to his body shape, not in a, uh, not conducive, uh, to body structure and where the holster was at. And he struggled, man, he struggled. And I think a better holster and better holster placement would have helped him out a lot.
Riley Bowman: But absolutely you know yeah i agree people tend to think of well i have my gun and then i have my holster my holster just carries my gun but the holster you you said it being the the foundation is that's a uh that's an interesting way of putting it and i i completely i think i've said something similar but but but the way you touch you know the the way you're making that connection from the holster is important to your shooting performance especially with something like a red dot that is less forgiving because yeah people got to get away from just thinking well the holster just carries my gun around no the holster allows you to draw and grip and access that gun in a consistent fashion so that when you get the gun up here and you're going out to target it's pointed the same way every time. Your grip is the same every time. And then you're looking at the target and wow, boom, dot appears. Wow. Where'd that dot come from? That's amazing how that works.
Scott Jedlinski: Yeah. People discounting holsters are like people going, people trying to run a race and they go, well, the shoes aren't important. They just hold my feet.
Riley Bowman: Yeah.
Scott Jedlinski: Yep. No, bro. You try running a marathon barefoot or in dress shoes. See how that works out for you. Yeah. See how that works out for you. It's the same thing. It's the same thing.
Riley Bowman: Yep. Yep. Very good. Very good point to make. But what are some of the other, you know, again, to the common complaints? Oh, I'm slower. Struggling to find the dot. Like what, what are some of your common solutions you find for, for that?
Scott Jedlinski: Well, the first thing we have to realize is that human perception is a horrible shot timer.
Riley Bowman: Yes. Okay.
Scott Jedlinski: Number one. So we actually need to put it on a metric, right? Argue slower. Well, let's see, let's do a draw. Okay. You're not strong. You're not slower. you're just unfamiliar with this and you're getting more information in so it feels less frenetic so that feels slower to you but you're you're not slower you're not or maybe you are slower it's just because you don't care what you see in your irons because you ain't seeing squat, right i was in one class it was hilarious man actually in the at uh the san antonio range reality defense right a couple uh four or five classes before you were there recently and i was a husband and wife and the guy has this beautiful cz shadow too right and we get to the part where i show the guy my grip and you know how i go all right so who had improvement who stayed the same who had uh a decline right the guy raised his hand i had a decline and i go what'd you see he's like i didn't see the dot once man i'm like okay so i fix his grip i take all the brain cycles out and fix his grip right he shoots and it's like. Right and he gets done he holds his up and his wife stop starts laughing right he's like woman why are you laughing he's like because that's the flattest i've ever seen your gun move since we've been shooting and he goes well that's cool because i still didn't see anything i was like what what does i go hey man do me a favor bring your gun up do you see the dot no bring your head to the right for me oh there's the dot guy was cross-eyed dominant didn't even know you know you know why because when he shot irons he didn't care because he was accepting a horrible sight picture with irons so he didn't even know he was cross-eyed dominant but when there was a clear um picture to be looking for right now he saw the difference and for the rest of the class he burned it in. Down burned it down because he could see he was a blind man who could see you know which is much like the stories a lot of us tell with the dot you know what i mean um so you really got to get into it man and i and the only way i can teach that is through people watching me to do it right and a lot of that comes from watching people do jujitsu and watching my professors teach people and stuff like that but that's generally the thing right and at the at the core of everything here's the thing man there is no way that a single focal plane right that is faster on your carbine is not faster on your hand cup right now you may need to get over the novelty right you may need to get over the uh unfamiliarity with it but i'm going to give you every reason in the world and every metric on the world to show you how to do this and at the end of the day you want to go back to your irons knock yourself out. That's never happened though. Never happened.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, you know, you're kind of touching on, too, a little bit. I just came off an episode talking with my producer and co-host, Matthew, about some vision-related stuff and particularly how, you know, proper vision processing techniques can also help reduce stress. And part of that, we talked about a study, Four Science Institute study, in fact. You're probably familiar with it.
Scott Jedlinski: Where quarter second study.
Riley Bowman: What's that the
Scott Jedlinski: Quarter second study.
Riley Bowman: Um i was thinking more of the the quiet eye study you know talking about like expert excuse me i just talked my my microphone expert uh like swat team level guys yeah and looking at the difference between them and rookie officers and their performance and like what was different about that in terms of their vision And one thing that that revealed is that the, the more expert level shooters tended to always be, I mean, number one, they had the so-called quiet eye,
Scott Jedlinski: Right?
Riley Bowman: They knew what to look for. They knew where to look and they were very visually focused on that. And that's all threat relevant information and that they tended to not ever look for their sites. But the rookies would be kind of looking all over a little bit more erratically at you know more looking more generally at the target or the threat and then when it came time to actually shoot their vision would often shift back to the front site and it was causing problems with them number one getting hits on target and number two being slower and getting themselves shot yeah So you make a great point in your class. So I kind of just wanted to hear your thoughts on this some more and have you elaborate on it a little bit as far as your thoughts on this. But you mentioned how we've been threat-focused for millennia, you know, since the beginning of time, basically. Spear, arrow.
Scott Jedlinski: Hands, feet.
Riley Bowman: Lattle, whatever. Yeah, sling, you know. And then all of a sudden we decided to stick these bumpy things on top of our guns and like, oh, we're supposed to be looking at, you know, this thing that's three feet in front of my face instead of at my target, my threat. So I just wanted to hear your thoughts on that.
Scott Jedlinski: Yeah. I mean, it is what it is. It is what we had to do. Yeah. Right. We didn't have the technology to, to do otherwise. And we've got very, very, very, very good at it. You know, very, very good at it. But yeah, it is. I mean, there's not much more to it than that. Um, and, and here's the thing, everyone, you know, uh, kind of goes, well, you know, he's, he hates iron. Well, I love irons, man. It wasn't for irons. I would not have the career I have trying to fix all that stuff. You know what I mean? You know, it's like, you know, we, you know, we, uh, we always discuss, you know, interesting techniques that have made it into the mainstream, uh, that have really messed up a lot of people. Right. But at the end of the day, man, if everybody was perfect, we wouldn't be having a job right now. You know what I mean? So our goal is to help those people out with efficiency. And that's all the job. That's all the dot is. It helps us get back to the way we visually process information since we were born. We're just getting back to that. Unfortunately, the way that the architecture of the dot, it has to be enclosed in a shroud to protect it from the elements and protect it from glare from the sun it is what it is so we need to get a little bit technique in there but after you get over that everything's the same as pointing point level go you know.
Riley Bowman: Well, there's definitely some benefits there. I mean, you and I, I think in the very first podcast I had you on, we spent a little bit of time talking about mistake of fact incident. And just that alone being threat focused is so huge. And that's one of the things they found in that, uh, for science Institute study was that the, the rookie cops tended to mistake the cell phone for the gun and vice versa, uh, partly because they were looking at other things versus just looking at the threat, looking what was actually in the threat's hands. Uh, and so that threat focused vision is, is huge. Now here's the thing. What. I spent a large chunk of my shooting time being very much, you know, front sight focus, you know, because that's, that's the way we were taught. That's the way I was taught. And learning to shoot on the red dot has helped me in all aspects of my shooting, regardless of the sighting system used. And I shoot now my irons target focused 100% of the time, I would say even 100% with maybe the exception of like the most. Shot ever you know like if i was trying to shoot try to keep uh hits on a ac steel at 100 yards i might be a little bit more front sight focused but yeah but you know learning having my eyes open to the idea of target focus shooting with irons or with the dot changed my life yeah Yeah.
Scott Jedlinski: Yeah. That's it, man. That's it. You know, uh, counselor you're testifying. So I mean, that's, that's just that there, there's no more to be said to that. And I've said that to everybody's like, well, you know, uh, I'm just investigating this for my department. You know, I don't want to get too hooked on this because I go back to irons. I'm like, bro, you get hooked on this, go back to your irons on Monday, do a couple of drills. Your mind demands more information. Your vision demands more information and it's going to get it out of that. It's going to get out of that from your irons, right? Because you shoot the dot, right? You shoot the dot and that's just the way it works. Other than cost, other than, you know, some slightly more maintenance, there's no downside to the dot in my opinion.
Riley Bowman: There was a comment here, a question, I guess, on YouTube. This is a pretty common one. I think it's pretty easily answered, but people always want to know, what distance do you cite in at? What distance should you cite in at?
Scott Jedlinski: All right, here we go.
Riley Bowman: I'm sure you get tired of answering that.
Scott Jedlinski: No, I don't get tired of answering because it's an absolutely legitimate question. I get tired of the rigmarole on the internet, right? It's like Groundhog Day, you know, every single day. And then this is the diatribe of stuff. Here's the thing, man, I'm going to go through a state in class, right? I don't care. I don't care what you zero at, right? But just have a reason, right? What's your reason? For example, you know, the great battle now is between the 10 and 25 yard zero. Awesome. Right. And you'll have guys go over to blows, really the 25 yard guys. Guys, you haven't discovered the Holy Grail. OK, with your 25 yard zero. Right. Because here's the deal. Right. John Dufresne actually did a great study when he put it on his thing, whatever ballistic calculator he had. I think it was Spear 147 gold dot. Right. A 10-yard zero prints 0.7 inches high at 25 yards. A 25-yard zero prints, I think, like 0.4, 0.5 low at 10. It's not that big of a deal. But do it based on your practical application. I will say this about the 10. You can't do it like a 25. That's the problem with all these guys who poofoo the 10. they take an NRA B8, right? And then they put three rounds in the X-Ring, he goes, okay, it's a 10 yard zero. No, it's not, it's not refined enough. That's why I use a one inch square. I know other dudes that use a, they use the bottom section of my one inch square on my targets, right? It depends on your gun, it depends on your ammo, right? It depends on your marksmanship more importantly. If you were doing this for concealed carry, if you look at most engagements, if you have access to the FBI's latest stats came out two months ago, or I'm sorry, two years ago or so, it's 10 yards. 10 yards is the likely pistol engagement. 10 yards, five rounds. That's the average. There's a lot of stuff in there. OK, I would rather think that I would want one with a higher level of with a high level refinement in which I'm more likely to get into engagement at. Now, on the other hand, I need to know where it prints at distance. OK, but here's the other thing. Right. I don't want to be worried about holdovers and hold unders at the distance in where my engagement is more likely to be. On the other hand, at 25 yards, I need to know where it prints. But what do I have with distance? I have time to factor in more holdovers and hold unders if, if I can, if I can, you know what I mean? Um, but at the end of the day, I don't care. Pick one, man. Right. If you're doing it for concealed carry 10 yards seems to be the go man. And it's easy. You see the holes is zero. We didn't get three rounds in the one end square and then go work on something else. Right. But if you, but if your department, right, shoots a lot of people in the face at 25 yards, man, you need a 25 yard zero. Or if your whole value as a human being is posting up your B8 scores on the internet, then you need a 25 yard zero, right? I have yet to meet the person that doesn't get paid to shoot B8s. Shoot B8s better than me. Right. I just did a class in Nashville where I shot a 100 first, first deal out of the day, first 10, first 10 rounds. I shot a 100 right now. It wasn't a 25 because the range wasn't that long. I think it was like a 20 or 21, but you know, it was like 8X, right. It was, it was, it was going to be in the 10. It was going to be in the 10, right. So what exactly are you doing with your 25? That being said, you know, which should be the under something even like you're an American, you do what you want. Right. Cause the bottom line is this, right. From what I've seen, if you can shoot your zero really doesn't matter. If you can't shoot your zero really doesn't matter. Right. Right. So the next time you get on your internet, uh, uh, your Facebook or your forum things, right. You start carrying this 25 yard zero or even 10 or even whatever it is right uh are you getting paid to do that do these boys who on this 25 yard zero kick got your back the answer is no because they're out busy shooting while you're talking about to your 25 yard zero club or whatever that that is right uh meanwhile there's a there's epic uh argument about that on the internet meanwhile mike panone slips in and goes i use a 15 see ya zero your gun bro zero your gun forever you want wherever you can call your hits and you're most consistent because you know at the end of the day uh show me your b8 show me your build drill right uh show me your three and two right uh show me your plate rack, You know, so would you.
Riley Bowman: Would you have anything to say with regards? Cause one thing I have come across in the last few months is, uh, a logic that goes something along the lines of, well, my most likely engagement would be five yards. So I'm going to have a five yard zero.
Scott Jedlinski: What is that based on though? What's that based on?
Riley Bowman: Well, you still have people out there throwing out the three, three, three rule, you know, the three seconds, three yards, three shots, you know, But what's that?
Scott Jedlinski: What was the three, three, and three based on?
Riley Bowman: Data from like 1990.
Scott Jedlinski: So there's various things to that, right? Yeah. So the first that where I tracked, and I had the same question, where the hell does three, three, and three come from? Right. And I believe in hopefully, you know, he'll correct me if I'm wrong. At the time, I think Tom Givens had 52 students, alumni that were in gunfights. And the average wound up being three, three, and three. It's not an FBI stat. It's not. Stop saying that, people. It's not an FBI stat. I think it comes from Tom Gibbons. Right. But that has validity to it, man. Fifty two. Fifty two students. That's an that's a that's an incredible anecdotal database to go off of. Right. But he wasn't saying that was law. It's like the Tuler, the 21 foot rule. It's not a rule. It's a principle. Right. I think the three, three and three became a principle. You know what I mean? Um here's the thing with the five yard zero you can't do amazing things with a five yard zero out at pretty much any distance because the math becomes that cone of deviation becomes too wide way too wide.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. I, I, yeah. I mean, if someone wants to choose a seven yard zero, like, well, okay, whatever. Like I, I think the thing I think I'm bigger on than anything is use some common sense, use your brain that God gave you. Think through the problem that you have to solve and understand the, why you do what you do. Yeah right and then understand also like well if i do this to satisfy the more likely situations or scenarios i may find myself in but also understand that there are the unlikely things that do still sometimes occur and i should probably still at least be familiar with how to handle the unlikely events i mean being in a gunfight period is an unlikely event so 100 it
Scott Jedlinski: Is you know A hundred percent. Yep. Yep. Well, not a hundred percent, 90, 99.2%. Absolutely. Yeah. Right. I actually had one guy who's a SWAT guy. He says, I zeroed my pistol at seven yards. And I'm like, interesting. Why? He goes, if I get into a room, if we're doing CQB and it's in a room and that room is bigger, seven by seven, that's a big ass room, right? The last time one of our guys drew his pistol in an encounter was, I can't remember. Right. So it's a secondary, right? But If it's a secondary, I want to do it based on, uh, the likely encounter. Right. And if it's bigger than a seven by seven room, holy cow. Yep. Holy cow. Right. That's a big ass room. Right. Um, so that's, that's what I do mine for him. I'm like, yep.
Riley Bowman: And I'll bet that guy knows where his, his rounds hit at 25.
Scott Jedlinski: Right. Sure. Sure.
Riley Bowman: And that's what I'm all about is like, I, I know, I don't know, not to tout my, toot my own horn necessarily, but like I basically run a 10 yard zero. Uh, part of that was when I first started experimenting with, with red dots, I stumbled upon some of your videos and you explained the logic. And I said, you know what? That's sound logic. It's a lot easier to see my target at 10 and get started there and then send it back to 25 and make sure that. And especially horizontally, I'm still, you know, I'm not just shooting a coordinate that I'm actually shooting in line with, you know, that my barrel and my optic and everything are lined up. Right. But I still run a 10 yard zero and I know exactly where it prints at every distance out to a hundred yards.
Scott Jedlinski: Yeah. So where do you hold with your 10 yard zero at 25 yards on the VA?
Riley Bowman: I actually, this is something that's evolving a little bit for me. Uh if i'm running a uh a six moa dot for instance so like my romeo three max optics or six moa those work really well to just hold the the six like the six moa dots like oh yeah right so it's just like i just center it and it works beautifully that way um the three moa dot of my romeo one And I actually, and I have astigmatism a little bit. So my dot, especially in 3M away, looks more like a comma. And so I actually specifically look at the top edge of the dot at 25.
Scott Jedlinski: And where do you place it? You put them on the bottom of the X-ray?
Riley Bowman: I'm putting it right on the center. Like if I could read the X, I would put the top edge of my lot.
Scott Jedlinski: Okay. So you cut the X in half.
Riley Bowman: I cut the X in half.
Scott Jedlinski: Which I would tell you, if you talk to somebody else that had that swore by the 25-yard zero, they wouldn't give you that much detail on what they're looking, right? Yeah. Here's my pecking order for accuracy, right? Again, this is just from my experience, right? In orders of most important to least important. Right. Most important, your marksmanship. Okay. How good your trigger press is and how hard you hold that gun with your support hand. Okay. Number two is the ammo. Okay. Okay. Better hollow points shoot flatter, and they're more ballistically uniform, for lack of a better term, right, than your 115 Winchester white box, okay? And because they're hotter, they're going to shoot flatter, ergo be more accurate, right? So your ammo. Number three, your gun. You got to know what your gun prints, right? uh you know uh for example with glocks when i shoot glocks all the time uh with the 10 yard zero i would hold uh my you know three moa dot uh with my rmr on the bottom of the x-ray and shoot 9500s all the time with the walther i just hold it in the middle just because the lock-up's better on a walther right um and i think that i don't know man that whole the the the step chambering that it has where it really locks in the bullet man uh it's been documented to prove uh improve feet per second by 20 to 30 feet per second. Right. And that goes directly to velocity, which goes directly to accuracy. Right. So I just hold it in the middle. There really is no difference between my 10 and 25 yard. I don't have a 25 yard hole with my Walthers. Right. And then finally, the least important thing is, is your zero. Because again, if you can shoot, it doesn't matter. If you can't shoot, it doesn't matter. Right. So, yeah. But I say that like with the 10 yard rope, you know, FBI stats, blah, blah, blah, yada, yada. Kona deviation out to, you know, flattens out. If you listen to some people, depending on your ammo, a 10 flattens out at 50 less deviation, yada, yada. Um, but no, it's, you know, it's, it's actually 1.45, bro. You think you can see 1.45 at 33 yards. You really think you can see that get, get, get over yourself, man. Right. Um, But the whole thing is, is that, you know, we spot off reasons for the 10, but if you shoot a 25, good luck, you're awesome, dude. Knock yourself out, man. And, uh, when you shoot my three and two drill and you miss low, don't go crying.
Riley Bowman: Yeah.
Scott Jedlinski: Don't go crying. Cause you're at three yards. Um, but the whole thing is good.
Riley Bowman: And you should know that. Like if you're 25, you should know what your holds are at five and 10 and 15 and whatever, you know?
Scott Jedlinski: Yep. Yep. Yep. And the other thing, I had an amazing conversation with Justin Dial, right? Not only a great American, great military man, great shooter, great coach, great teacher, but very interesting historian. Do you know where the 25-yard zero comes from, the 25-yard bull comes from?
Riley Bowman: I guess I can't, I mean, other than like the only thing that comes to mind, it'd be old school bullseye. Yep.
Scott Jedlinski: But why 25? Why 25?
Riley Bowman: Yeah.
Scott Jedlinski: Nobody is completely arbitrary. They started out at 15. Everybody started killing it, right? Everybody's shooting hundreds, 10 X's. Then they moved it to 20. Same thing happened. Then they moved it back to 25, right? It was a little bit, a little bit more competitive out there as far as variations go, but then everybody started killing it. So what'd they do? Do they go back another five? Why didn't they go to the 30? Why about the 35? Nope. They said, nope, we're done moving this thing. 50. 50. Completely arbitrary. Completely arbitrary. Right? Why does Sig Sauer advocate for the 15-yard? Do you know? Because the Sig Romeo's MOAs are exactly calculated for a 15-yard zero. That's why.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. Didn't know that.
Scott Jedlinski: That makes sense. No. That makes sense. I teach there once a year. I finally asked them, what's up with the 15-yard zero, guys? Why? Like, well, you know, based on ballistics, if we have blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, most federal departments, yada, yada, yada, yada. So we made the Romeo that way. I'm like, that's genius. That's genius. So you know what I did? I got my SIG 320 full size and my Romeo Pro, and I changed the zero to 15 yards just to play with it. There was zero difference in my performance. But I just, I wanted to see it, but at least there was an answer. Yeah. There was an answer other than your favorite instructor says 25 yards zero is life.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. Yeah. I appreciate you giving some of that context. I think all that discussion is, uh, it's at the very least it's interesting to know some of the backstory know some of the you know history if you will and and again just to throw the whole you know like what distance should i zero my red dot at you know discussion into just like hey you know what pick something pick something reasonable understand why you do what you do and make sure it fits your context and like okay knock yourself out bro you know yeah and
Scott Jedlinski: Also know that controversy is never going to end has it has it ended for carbines yet.
Riley Bowman: Yeah no
Scott Jedlinski: No they've been shooting dots on carbines a lot longer than pittles and that.
Riley Bowman: Thing's still 36 yard 50
Scott Jedlinski: 36 100 50 200 yeah 10 with a two inch drop it's like yeah.
Riley Bowman: Yeah man good stuff good stuff so again i hope i hope this has been helpful for folks especially uh those of you just looking at or just getting into red dots or or making sure that you you know you're kind of on the right track which whatever it is that you're here for today um scott is the expert and so we appreciate your time today and for having this discussion with us you know i'd like to have you on again of course in the relatively near future and to uh to actually get into some less uh less equipment focused you know discussion and and more on the actual shooting and technique or uh whatever you know actually i have some some ideas i'd like to explore with you also from the uh you know i just did your red dot instructor course uh like not even a month ago now at this point and i had some some good takeaways from that and i think that'd be worthwhile to have you back on and discuss at some point so if you're good i'd
Scott Jedlinski: Love to and and guys remember this man people tell you like oh you just need to shoot more again kit's important let me talk about the holster man it's important with good kit right it won't make you a better shooter but it will remove obstacles bad kit creates obstacles yes right so get good kit shoot more and get good training there's it's a trifecta one without the other will leave you wanting.
Riley Bowman: That's a great way of putting it. And I appreciate you for, for clarifying that as well. Well, again, uh, where can people find you?
Scott Jedlinski: Yeah. If you just throw in modern samurai project anywhere on the interwebs, man, you're, you're going to find me. Um, you know, uh, I got a YouTube channel, IG, Facebook, uh, it's everywhere. It's everywhere, man. And, and a lot of them have redundant material in there. So, uh, you see one, you'll see it on the other, man. But, uh, right now probably the most popular one is Instagram. It's just so easy. You're in, you're out. You know what I mean? I would like to get some more YouTube stuff up, but that stuff takes a long time.
Riley Bowman: I know you're doing what you love and following your passion, and that's awesome. You do a good job at it. So, you know, of course, we wish you the best and hope to see you out there again soon. So, yeah, folks, I mean, like I said at the beginning, get out there, check out his website. You're going to find classes probably in your neck of the woods at some point, or if you're interested in hosting Jedi, and get on the schedule.
Scott Jedlinski: So, yep.
Riley Bowman: Cool, man. Again, I appreciate it.
Scott Jedlinski: Obviously, respect you and everything you guys are doing over there, man. It's the Lord's work. Keep on doing what you guys are doing.
Riley Bowman: Thank you, brother.
Scott Jedlinski: Yep.
Riley Bowman: All right. That's a wrap of this episode. I hope you enjoyed the replay. Let us know what you thought. If you have any questions or if you have any comments you want to share with us, you can send those always to our email at podcast at concealedcarry.com. Let me know what you thought about this episode today. And also let me know if you think we should have Scott on the podcast again down the road. So, again, a reminder that today's episode is sponsored by Guardian Nation. Please sign up and learn more about it at guardiannation.com. And also, again, make sure you're on our newsletter, which you can get on at concealedcarry.com forward slash newsletter if you're not already so you don't miss these awesome emails we're going to send out. It's actually going to be some videos and things we send with some educational content and other things over the next week or so. So make sure you're on our newsletter. Guys, we've got some big stuff coming next week. So I hope that you will join me in that as well. We'll also do a podcast episode next week that's focused on this new big announcement that we're doing next week as well. So you won't want to miss that. Guys, thanks so much for your support of the podcast. Thanks for being here. Thanks for listening and supporting us always. Again, if you want to reach out to us, podcast at concealedcarry.com is the way to do that. And so with that, I'm going to let you go and call this one done. So until next time, a reminder to train right, train often, and train safe so you can fight hard, fight fast, and fight true. Take care. A reminder that laws vary from place to place, and we encourage listeners to seek local legal advice to understand applicable laws. Concealed Carry, Inc., its brands and properties, and the Concealed Carry podcast is not a legal service, nor are we attorneys at law. We make our best faith effort to share Concealed Carry-related insights and information about firearm-related incidents and the laws pertaining, based on our own understanding and experience. But things can be different where you live, or laws may have changed by the time you listen to this. We cannot be held liable for your actions based on the information shared in this podcast. Please exercise care with all things pertaining to firearm use, Concealed Carry, and always practice following basic firearm safety rules. More information about safety can be found at concealedcarry.com forward slash safety.