Riley Bowman: And welcome to the Concealed Carry Podcast, part of the ConcealedCarry.com network, brought to you by HK. Today is Friday, October 3rd, 2025. As of the moment, we are recording this episode. We're glad to have all of you joining us. I am your host, Riley Bowman, joined by co-host,
Jacob Paulsen: Jacob Paulson. Yeah, that's me. That's my name.
Riley Bowman: It's the dude right there. Glad to have you with me on the podcast here today. We are talking today about our Justified Saves. Well, this is a Justified Saves episode. So we've got a whole bunch of great stories to share with you today of defensive gun uses.
Jacob Paulsen: Some doozies. Yeah, some confusing ones too.
Riley Bowman: Yes, we'll talk
Jacob Paulsen: Our way through those. We'll go a little detective on this.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, there's probably some assumptions that are going to have to be made about some of these stories. The big thing here is what lessons can we take away from these stories that we can use to make ourselves better, thinkers, better planners, better decision makers, better defended-minded folks overall.
Jacob Paulsen: I'm realizing in the camera here that if I sit up straight, I can be taller than you. Now you sat up straight, and now I'm shorter than you again. For a second, I was taller. If someone could screenshot that.
Riley Bowman: That'd be great. Hello. Greetings, Joseph. He's watching and joining us from YouTube here. Check out Colorado CRS on using force to stop certain crimes in progress. Yes, yes, we're acquainted with Colorado revised statutes on using force to stop certain crimes in progress. Thank you, Joseph, for checking in. Today's episode, the first, is sponsored by CCW Safe. This is our Justified Saves episode, and therefore, we're talking about the use of a gun in defense, of life, of saving people from bad things happening to them. And that's exactly what you want to have coverage for from CCWsafe CCWsafe.com is of course their website you can check out their whole lineup of plans that they have available there, we certainly encourage you to do that encourage you to even compare them against other competing products in the marketplace we think that you'll arrive at the same conclusion that we have which is that CCWsafe is the best player in this space Jacob, what else do you want to add to that?
Jacob Paulsen: I think they have the best coverage, I think on paper just, you know, matching them up apples to apples, you can see that they're going to weigh that they're the best. Beyond what's on paper, I think that, you know, there's a human component to this.
Riley Bowman: Yep.
Jacob Paulsen: As far as, you know, a process and a methodology and a mission, a vision, a deeply held purpose, belief, and passion. And so I think in that regard, CCW Safe really is the clear leader in their space.
Riley Bowman: Agreed. So check out CCWsafe today. Go to ccwsafe.com. Guardian Nation members get a little bit of discount. Actually, a pretty noticeable discount. So make sure if you're a Guardian Nation member, log into your dashboard area. Get the details on that.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, 20% is kind of a big deal.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, that saves you considerably. So check it out, ccwsafe.com. Also, today's episode sponsored brought to you by KSG Armory Holsters. If you gotta be using a gun in defensive you know context it's super critical you get that gun out of a holster in a timely and efficient manner and a quality holster is a big part of that i mean we just got done with the guardian conference a few weeks ago did you see some instances of people having issues with holsters lots
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah we had a lot of holsters go down most of them in the first morning of course the first day but yeah i know we had a lot of holsters go down you know ksg is not the only quality manufacturer holster on the market there's there's other great holsters out there but unfortunately the problem is there's a ton of crap and so that's really the issue is just making sure you have quality options so check out ksg as it could be the solution that's perfect for you.
Riley Bowman: Yeah i'll tell you man uh one of my classes it wasn't even i don't think it was the first day no maybe it was yeah it must have been i think it was friday afternoon so my second session that i was teaching and i had a gentleman you know the first hour or two of class, he did a good job. I didn't notice anything wrong. I mean, I noticed that his holster was not maybe the greatest, but he was getting things done and I didn't have any concerns just because I didn't see any safety issues. It didn't seem like there was a major problem there. But then about the third hour of a four hour block, all of a sudden we started having issues. And so what started happening is he would go to draw and his whole holster would come out of his waistband with the gun. And that's because...
Jacob Paulsen: Let me guess. He said something like, this has never happened to me before.
Riley Bowman: Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: As they always say, I've been using this holster for years.
Riley Bowman: This has never happened.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah. And I'm not trying to put this person down or make them feel bad. Right. I'm suggesting only that that's the pattern because you show up in that kind of a training environment. And environments could be new to you. you never really pushed your holster in that way. And that's why it's important to field test our gear.
Riley Bowman: Yes, 100%. Yeah, you're exactly right. We're not here to disparage people or their gear necessarily. We are here to provide quality gear. And in the context of that class, I was like, look, this is what we call a learning opportunity. You came to class. This is one of the great reasons why it's good to get out and do training courses or to maybe shoot competition even with your carry gear because those are great opportunities to test your gear to see that it works or not. And he, you know, this is a gun and a holster combination that clearly he had not tested adequately. And he now found this is a problem. So he left that class resolved to buy a case to your holster.
Jacob Paulsen: Sweet. I love it when it works in our favor, too.
Riley Bowman: Unfortunately, he did not have, I knew we didn't have anything on hand that would accommodate. I'm trying to remember what gun it was. It was a Hellcat is what it was. I was like, I'm pretty sure we don't have anything on site for that, but you can get it on KSGRmory.com. So that's what we're going to send you guys all here today to go and buy your next quality holster. It's KSGRmory.com. Let's get into our episode content now. We've got a bunch of stories lined up. We'll try to cover these in an efficient manner. First up, this one hit the news waves earlier this week, Jacob, here locally. It's not actually a justified save story. And long-time listeners, you know that typically when we do Justified Save episodes, we usually talk about what-not-to-dos. Quite commonly, we lead off with what-not-to-dos stories. Quite often, they are Justified Save what-not-to-dos.
Jacob Paulsen: And we have a few of those.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, we do have a few of those. But this was actually not a DGU incident. This happened, though, at a school. This happened at a middle school in the Highlands Ranch area of Colorado here, not too far from where we're based here. Ranch View Middle School. There it is. I was looking for the name of the school. So what happened here is actually a neighboring house to the middle school. A guy sitting inside his house is cleaning his gun is what the story says. So usually as part of that, we take a gun apart. I think you can probably see where this is going.
Jacob Paulsen: Writing's on the wall.
Riley Bowman: Probably a Glock or something like that, you know, that has the kind of situation where you got to disassemble the gun. And part of that is pressing the trigger to get it to come apart. And so there's actually a staff member and a student outside the school that witnesses and hears a pop as apparently this gentleman fires off a round trying to disassemble this gun. And not only does the gun go off and launch a bullet through his window of his home, but it strikes an exterior door of the school.
Jacob Paulsen: Not clear to me if the window was open or not. I'm thinking ballistically.
Riley Bowman: Right, right.
Jacob Paulsen: Regardless, there's an impact on a school. Yes. The structure of the building itself is a school.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, so, I mean, bullet went... It does say it traveled through a window. I mean, to your point, I guess it could have been window open or whatever. But, yeah, it traveled to the school and impacted the school. Very, very, very concerning. So this is our first what not to do today on a podcast is, yeah, this is a problem. We're already, you know, walking on ice here in Colorado after that shooting in Evergreen High School, what, a month ago now?
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, about a month.
Riley Bowman: And, you know, people are already on edge and then you have an incident like this happen. Well, the problem with that is, is it reflects very poorly on gun owners. We already have a big enough battle as it is, you know, uphill battle in this country, especially in certain states and jurisdictions like where we are in Colorado, trying to make sure we can maintain Second Amendment rights. This kind of thing does not help in that battle.
Jacob Paulsen: Well, I mean, yes, agreed. But what if someone got shot? Now we got to have that on our, on our conscious too. I like, and this guy owned it in his defense, like cops showed up, he came running out of his house. Like it was me. I'm sorry. Kind of deal. So that's good. Charges are pending. We'll see if any action is taken against this guy legally.
Riley Bowman: Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: But, um, you know, he knew he screwed up and he, he did what he could to own that. So I appreciate that. And the rest of us have to learn from his mistakes, right? It's like, okay, what might I change about my process, my method, you know, my systems that I have in place to ensure this doesn't happen to me.
Riley Bowman: Right. Be safe all the time you're handling a firearm. Maintain the four safety rules at all times. The big one there for me is be aware and attentive to what you're doing at all times with the gun. Part of that is understanding, hey, if I need to press the trigger to disassemble my gun, I need to be aware and attentive of the fact that when I press that trigger, the gun could fire if I have not properly unloaded the gun. So make sure you're obeying those safety rules at all times, folks.
Jacob Paulsen: Well, and think about your backstop. You know, the window that faces the school, probably not it. Right? So like there's layers to this, right? Like it's not just like, hey, make sure the gun's unloaded. Like, yeah, do that for sure. Like triple check it and all the things. Like maybe even stick a barrel block in it before you take it apart. But beyond that, let's also acknowledge like some tractions are safer than others. What's my process? What's my system? What are my tools that mitigate risk? Yeah, 100%.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. We have a similar story, unfortunately, out of Buckeye, Arizona.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, not with a lot of details on this one.
Riley Bowman: No, but why don't you give us a slowdown on this?
Jacob Paulsen: Can I put this on my Walmart shooting list?
Riley Bowman: Sure.
Jacob Paulsen: Okay, I wasn't sure if this qualifies.
Riley Bowman: I mean, it's a Walmart.
Jacob Paulsen: I think Walmart gets more shootings than anyone else. I mean, maybe if we combine all gas stations into a single category, they could beat out Walmart.
Riley Bowman: I was going to say top categories would be Walmart, obviously gas stations, Waffle Houses.
Jacob Paulsen: Waffle House for sure. Oh, my gosh.
Riley Bowman: I'm trying to think if there's any other common,
Jacob Paulsen: Trendy ones we see a lot.
Riley Bowman: McDonald's. McDonald's. This one kind of hits on both those categories.
Jacob Paulsen: That's right. This is a McDonald's and a Walmart.
Riley Bowman: Yes. Tell us about it.
Jacob Paulsen: We don't have a lot of details, but dude is sitting inside the McDonald's that's inside the Walmart, and gun fires around while he's sitting there. That's really all we know. Like this, that's the extent of the detail, but I, you know, I hope these episodes are entertaining. Like there should be entertainment to dang near everything we do in life. Sure. Because that's, what's critical to keep you guys to pay attention. That's what makes it a little bit more enjoyable for us. But like for a second, like the entertaining aspect comes because deep down inside of you, you, you believe this would never happen to you. So it's easy to kind of make fun of or make light of someone who you perceive to be some idiot, moron, jerk, whatever, that cooks off around inside the Wal-Donalds.
Riley Bowman: Yep.
Jacob Paulsen: I made that. See how I did that? The Mickelmark.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, it was a McDonald's inside of Walmart.
Jacob Paulsen: Mickelmark. Anyway. Yep. So it's easy to put that guy over here and be like, it's not me. I would never. But I'll just ask for a second. like have you ever been in a public place and adjusted your gun right like and if you're the answer is no i'm like uh bullcrap like i bet you have i bet i bet most people listen to this have just you know like just you know make an adjustment you know oh this is off something like that um now most of i think most of those adjustments are probably pretty dang freaking innocent gun stays in the holster quality holster like really shouldn't lead to anything yeah but um you know we start taking this step further okay well have you ever been making an adjustment got the gun out of the holster. I mean, we've seen a number of stories where people have shot themselves or cooked a round off through a car because they got their gun out of their holster and handled it while in their car, sometimes while driving. Yeah. I guess I'm just trying to say like, hey, for a second, just say, hey, what can I learn from this? Like, am I managing any of that kind of administrative handling properly and safely? I'm postulating that's what happened.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. Let me just hit on a couple of things here that, I mean, potential answers to this. It could be, all right, it could have been a gun that did not fit a holster properly.
Jacob Paulsen: Sure.
Riley Bowman: Right. I've seen that happen. In fact, I've seen it happen to me way too often where people get a gun. They can't find a holster that quite fits it, but they find when it's close enough. And the problem with that is, is does it properly and fully and completely cover the trigger guard? Okay. I've seen people using a holster. They're like, well, this is the closest thing I could find. It goes in, but yet the trigger guard's still exposed. Okay. It could be that also I've seen some poor quality holsters. There was actually a video that went around the social media a while back of a gun. It was some kind of, not a true Glock, but like one of the, you know, kind of, not Glocks, kind of custom deal or a home built one. And it had something to do with the trigger. And the trigger was really, there was a problem with the trigger, but there was a problem with the holster. and the holster made contact with the trigger as it was inserted into the holster. So the trigger guard portion of the holster was, in other words, too depressed. So we're very careful with the holsters when we make it KSG Armory that, you know, make sure that, like, there's nothing protruding into the trigger guard. Just a little bit so it locks onto the trigger guard, but not so much that's going to actually make contact with the trigger or anything like that. So that's a problem. It could be something like a soft-sided holster that's not, you know, where something can push through the holster material. It could be this gentleman was carrying not in a holster.
Jacob Paulsen: Sure. Right. Sure.
Riley Bowman: And he's got other things mixed with the gun or he's putting his hand in his pocket. Maybe it's a pocket holster or a pocket gun and he's messing around with it. I'm reminded actually, I think it was another Walmart or not Walmart, but McDonald's where gentleman's standing in line waiting to order or he's waiting to get his food. And he's got a gun in a pocket holster or just in his pocket. He's messing around with it in his pocket and fires off a round right into the floor of the McDonald's. And as soon as it happens, he's like, what, what,
Jacob Paulsen: What, what did that.
Riley Bowman: Where'd that come from? Like totally trying to play it off. And everyone else there, of course, knew exactly like, dude, like clearly, like,
Jacob Paulsen: You know, my mind goes to the dude in the elevator. Remember the elevator surveillance? Yeah. Yeah. He's a off duty cop. He's out shopping with his wife and just does some, some basic, you know, unnecessary, probably administrative handling of his gun and shoots himself.
Riley Bowman: Moving it from his holster to his pocket of his jacket.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah. That's what it was. Yep. So anyway.
Riley Bowman: Yep.
Jacob Paulsen: I just, you know, a little, I'll just, A warning note for me to not be dismissive of these stories, but to consider what you might learn.
Riley Bowman: It can happen to anybody if you are not, well, following those four safety rules we just talked about.
Jacob Paulsen: That's right.
Riley Bowman: Okay. So there's a couple of lessons learned. There's one more here. This one actually involves a gun being fired at somebody. In fact, somebody is struck and killed. This starts as a road rage incident in Phoenix, Arizona area. It's very unfortunate. We see these kinds of things happen, again, too commonly. And, again, these reflect poorly on us as gun owners and concealed carriers. But we've got to talk about this stuff because this is important. This one has to do more with a poor decision that was made.
Jacob Paulsen: Well, we're lacking a little bit in detail. That's true. So there's a potential benefit of the doubt on this, but continue.
Riley Bowman: That's fair. That's fair.
Jacob Paulsen: However, I think if you – Charges have not been filed.
Riley Bowman: If you take it from what is just said here, all right, that's how I think we have to read it. And at the very least, we can take it at its word and go, what's the lesson learned from this? Well, probably not shooting people just because they approach you at the window and spit on you.
Jacob Paulsen: Way to kill the teaser on that one.
Riley Bowman: So there's two vehicles involved in road rage in Phoenix. 54-year-old man, and I'm not sure how old the woman is, but it's a woman. And they're going back and forth is the way this works.
Jacob Paulsen: Driving erratically for a few blocks. Yeah.
Riley Bowman: People reported that both of them were driving erratically. Now, we don't know if there was one or the other that started this and, you know, or if they were both contributors. Because I've seen it happen where someone's just trying to get out of a situation. I've seen it where people go back and forth and, you know, now he's mad, she's mad. And, you know, there's no winners in those kinds of situations. But basically, the vehicles got stopped. A man got out of one vehicle, approached the other vehicle. A woman is in that vehicle. And it says here, according to a witness, he spit on her and she shot him. They were basically trying to get in each other's lanes, following each other really close. At first, I thought he got ran over, said another witness, but then he heard a pop coming down the street. The man was shot in the neck, said there was blood all over the place. He fell to the ground. He died. This guy died. It also says that the woman who shot him said, I shot him. I'm sorry. He ran up to my car. I was scared. He got in my face. I shot him.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, that's concerning.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. So take it away.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, that's a red flag, right? There's so many little things. Like one thing that stands out to me right away is one of these dumb little details. Like why was your window down? Like I'm road raging with someone in my mind. I'm like putting myself in her shoes, right? And maybe it could look like it's a two to tango thing, but maybe she's truly just trying to get away and this guy keeps cutting her off and she's trying to whatever. I don't know. But some place we get stopped. We're not progressing anymore. And i see him running toward me like my first move would be rolled my window yeah yeah right like i'm like window up your.
Riley Bowman: First line of defense is just to maintain the integrity
Jacob Paulsen: Of the yes yes i mean he didn't have a gun in his hand nothing in his hands that we know that we know of certainly so and.
Riley Bowman: Even her own statement which by the way statements
Jacob Paulsen: Can get you in trouble yeah this because she says i shot him.
Riley Bowman: I'm sorry she's apologized she
Jacob Paulsen: Did it some mission like she.
Riley Bowman: Did something wrong yeah he ran up to my car i was scared i he got my face i shot him so the only thing she's saying is he got in my
Jacob Paulsen: Face yeah her potential justification is he got my face yeah and i was scared so pretty hard to get someone's face through a glass window yeah so i don't know i guess i'm harping on this whole window thing but like roll up the window we happen to live in a place where there's only a couple months a year that i can just drive around with my window down, I can see it's too hot or it's too cold sure sure so you know I don't know you're talking.
Riley Bowman: About basically like right
Jacob Paulsen: Now yeah like where did this.
Riley Bowman: Happen it's October this is Phoenix
Jacob Paulsen: It's probably pretty warm there I don't know why the windows but anyway I'm just saying like, The car is an integral, like, secured fortress against most things. Not against a gun, certainly, but against somebody who's scary and running at your car. Like that, the glass is a pretty good protection system. I think that we have to acknowledge that.
Riley Bowman: To that point, just real quick, just a quick little sidebar here. People are often surprised how tough auto glass is.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, very tough.
Riley Bowman: Even those side windows, I've seen people hit windows with hammers and they not break multiple times. You see officers do this where they whip out their baton and start, you know, eventually they'll break through. But sometimes it takes three, four, five hits. You know, so this is not a joke about those windows, you know, being a form of protection to you.
Jacob Paulsen: No, no, no, no. Seriously.
Riley Bowman: If a guy's got a weapon, that's a whole other thing.
Jacob Paulsen: Or if he's Schwarzenegger. i've seen schwarzenegger punch through those windows many.
Riley Bowman: Times it can happen if
Jacob Paulsen: Arnold's charging you that would change or chuck norris.
Riley Bowman: You know but that that is that's that's something that's really entertaining to watch when you see some like you know videos of altercations uh involving vehicles where dude gets out starts like wailing on the window with his fist like thinking he's gonna bust through it ain't busting through it super disappointed super fast breaking fingers and and knuckles yeah
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah so that's my first thought my second thought is just just pure motive thing, right? Like this pure idea of, It reminds me of another one we covered a year or two ago where there was a road rage incident and cops get called. And we have the body cam footage of the officer when they interview the supposed victim. And it's actually in an airport where this went down, like in the pickup departure area, kind of spot in an airport where eventually husband, wife are cruising around. They end up getting their gun and shooting the guy who's been chasing them and acting erratically. And the most crazy thing about that and it reminds me of this one we're talking about now is the law enforcement comes up on the window you got the body cam and they truly believed, they were justified like they weren't highly like oh no yeah no then yeah then we grabbed the gun out of the case and then he came over the window and we shot him you know like like they felt like they were the good guys in this whole story and when the police like the oh interesting great like please get out i'm gonna put handcuffs on you like the shock in their face was so sincere like but we were the good guys we didn't do anything wrong yeah like how could this so i think i think that's the other thing here is there's two potential issues here it's one or the other on one hand is she just legitimately believes that i was perfectly justified yeah like someone like gets in your face and they and you're scared you can shoot them yeah um in which case you have some serious misinformation that is not how the world works or second um like just emotion gets the better of you you make a bad mistake and then you start saying foolish things to the news media or the police report and now you are legally screwed yeah um i don't know if charges are being pressed here but if i was the da right i'd be like well that's a slam dunk we can win that one that'll take very little work yeah yeah.
Riley Bowman: Sorry um so we share these things you know to to be a lesson uh for you regardless of having all the details or not like look at what we do know and go hey there's some there's some advisories we can take from this and go you know one i should well not engage in road rage if i can help it right i definitely don't want to be a perpetrator of that or or to escalate incidents of road rage uh to keep my my vehicle you know the enclosure of the vehicle intact okay windows up if i you know if i am involved in something like this uh that's my first line of defense um and then don't shoot people because they spit on you or because they get in your face and you get scared yeah and i understand like a lady and a maybe it's a large large guy and she's a you know smaller maybe even an older lady that feels a little bit more vulnerable, but still, you don't get to shoot people just because somebody scares you.
Jacob Paulsen: Society has agreed that that's not okay.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. I mean, that's what the laws say.
Jacob Paulsen: And to be clear, if you're listening to this, that's not cool. If I was her, I would have shot him too. Well, then you've got to think of it in terms of tactics. They're... Tactics like the decisions you make are all intended to avoid you getting into that moment, the moment when you have to make a questionable decision because you've put yourself in a vulnerable place where you can no longer control or predict the outcome, right? So yes, like when someone's face is through my window, inches from my face and they're shouting and spitting on me and I can't see their hands and maybe they're going for something in their pockets, I've now put myself in a situation where I have to make a compromised decision. And that's the problem. It's just like when I don't lock my doors in the house and someone walks through and walks into the house while I'm sitting on my couch, I put myself in a semi-compromised position where I have to make a decision without all the information or without time on my side. And in those moments, you're going to make a compromised decision. And sometimes you get lucky in that compromised decisions sometimes you don't yep um so anyway there's the the there's a big lesson here about tactics and some like sometimes it's inevitable you just end up in a bad spot you have to make a compromise decision but we see a lot of compromise decisions in these dgus we're gonna see a couple more here before we're done where because of a poor decision that was made in this case i think simply like lock doors roll up windows you know like that would have been a good decision, but a poor decision or multiple poor decisions was made. Now we're in a situation where we have to make a compromise decision where, you know, we could be making a very bad decision and trying to justify it because of a lack of information we have.
Riley Bowman: Yep, 100%. Let's get now, that was our, the end of our what not to do segment here. So let's go to now some DGUs where, I mean, even with some of these, you non-what-not-to-do DGUs, there could still be some things that are lessons learned of what not to do. But generally, how we categorize these is these were more of a justified nature. They seem to read as though what happened was justified. This next story comes to us out of Cumberland, Indiana. And the title here is, Woman Shot and Killed 30-Year-Old Man Who Was Allegedly sexually assaulting her in Cumberland. Do you want to give us details on this one? I think I shared the last one. Yeah, yeah. I'll hand this one to you.
Jacob Paulsen: Please show up. There's a body. What happened? And here's basically what we get from the story. Here's the narrative. Please say the woman... Oh, nope. Back up. Sorry. An ad loaded and it pushed my screen down. Okay, here we go. So please say the shooter was a woman who lives in the home where the shooting happened and said she knew the man who she killed. Now, here's where we get to the detail we have. She told police that the bad guy, the BG, was making, quote, unwanted sexual advances toward her, end quote. She told police she tried to get away from the BG, but he followed her. We're going to come back to that. And she said he started to sexually assault her. The woman told police she managed to get her gun and shot him once. So, yeah, we have a sexual assault that I'm not unclear where it begins. But it ends in her home where somehow during the course of that assault she's able to retrieve a gun and shoot him.
Riley Bowman: There is one additional key detail here. We don't always get these kinds of details, but this goes to, again, it speaks to the likelihood of this being absolutely justified. It says that she had injuries from the assault that had to be treated at the hospital. So clearly, I mean, this is not just like, you know, she made anything up here or imagined he was trying to sexually assault her. No, he actually did some things to her that required treatment at the hospital. Uh and so this is you know this is a very very dangerous very scary situation what's interesting is the first thing i know to jacob is well we yeah we don't know what it means when it says he followed her like where things are happening at exactly and what that means yeah was
Jacob Paulsen: She out for a walk with the dog and he followed her or like did he come in the house and he followed her around the house and she told him to get out.
Riley Bowman: Yeah right right um it does say that she managed to get her gun. And a lot of times when we read those kinds of things, I read that as guns not on person, gun had to be retrieved from somewhere. And we talk about this quite, quite, we've talked about it a bunch over the years about people in a lot of home invasion situations. And I understand people not wanting to carry a gun while they're at home. I also understand if you are awakened in the middle of the night, you're not sleeping with your gun on you. Sure. Right. So there's times and contexts where it makes sense that you're going to have to retrieve a gun but there's plenty of instances we've covered over the years where people it's middle of the day uh they're they're they're up and about they're not asleep or being disturbed out of their bed uh but they're having to go and get their gun to defend themselves from a violent attack a break-in home invasion these
Jacob Paulsen: Are home defense gun owners yep i got a gun for home.
Riley Bowman: Defense yeah
Jacob Paulsen: And it's in the home so if there's a home defense scenario i gotta go get a gun. Like that's right. I think there's a lot of American gun owners that would describe themselves that way. Like, yeah, I got a gun for home defense. So it's in the house.
Riley Bowman: Yep. And so, well, you want to be thinking about where is it in the house? How is it stored in the house? Hopefully it's stored safely in terms of preventing unauthorized access, but also in a manner that you can then retrieve it in a timely fashion. What about storing multiple guns in multiple locations in the house sure because i mean depending on the size of your house but even if your house isn't that big i mean honestly my house is not that big and it's pretty simple in its layout um i it's still a big difference for me to be in my bedroom versus my living room and a gun's you know in the bedroom or it's in a you know in a different part of the house where my safe you know my big safe is or you know like it's still going to take some amount of time for me to get to that gun and retrieve it if it's not on my person. Maybe the home invasion begins as me thinking somebody's just at the door and I go to the door and I don't have my gun on me. And all of a sudden, oh, this is not what I think it is. And somebody's coming through the door and where's my gun? So these are things that you need to be thinking about planning ahead and doing so responsibly and safely.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, I think it's also about habits and protocol. I mean, we're stepping a little bit outside the story now, and I'm thinking broadly about home defense. But how am I answering the door, for example? How am I managing the transition between parking my car on the street or in the driveway and getting out of the house? I think figuring out what are the systems I have in place? What are my tools? What are my strategies to manage those most vulnerable moments?
Riley Bowman: Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: Here, we're lacking some key details about, you know, followed her. And, you know, retrieve gun could be, I drew it out of my holster. But most likely, she's, you know, going to some other part of the house to get it.
Riley Bowman: Yep.
Jacob Paulsen: So, yeah, there's definitely lessons there, I think, that you've enumerated.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. And many of these kinds of incidents, sexual assaults that happen at a residence, are often somebody that does know the perpetrator.
Jacob Paulsen: I'm glad you brought that up because I was thinking about that. She says in here that she knew him. So this is not like some random stranger that followed her while she was walking through the neighborhood. This is probably a neighbor, co-worker, someone who knows her from something. Or a current lover. Right, right. We don't know. But someone who flipped the switch, went over the edge, and decided today's the day I'm going to go nuts, do something nasty, horrible, violent, evil. And yeah, so... Today's the day.
Riley Bowman: This is one of the big reasons why I get my dander up, so to speak, when, you know, politicians and government leaders put in place gun control related measures that require things like waiting periods on purchasing and obtaining a gun or having to get certain training before you can purchase and obtain or carry or own a gun. Uh because this is a this is a perfect story of a situation like this could have been something that was already known sure you know like there was a pattern of abuse or something happening here she gets a gun to defend herself knowing that's a problem and that may not be able to happen in situations like this uh with similar victims out there if there's gun control laws in place that prevent you know people being able to exercise those second amendment rights well we
Jacob Paulsen: Know those incidents have happened i've seen them testify in courts you know i i had blank concern went bought gun couldn't obtain it for x number of days and while i was waiting you know i suffered the attack and it was coming so you know those things have happened absolutely it's not okay.
Riley Bowman: Now this next story is out of chesterfield county virginia uh this is a very similar story which is why i included it because i was like these are i mean here's two instances instances that happened within days of each other in different, you know, areas of the country, different cities, different locations, very, very, very similar. This happened again in Virginia. It was a 38-year-old man. It was shot and killed early one morning. And it specifically says in the article, in fact, the headline is 38-year-old man killed in justifiable homicide. So they are investigating this and making the assumption right from the get-go, this was a justifiable homicide. Well, why is that? Well, it says that officers arrived at the scene. The initial report was an assault with a deadly weapon. It says they arrived, they found a man, now identifies 38-year-old man. We generally don't give names of bad guys on the show here. With multiple gunshot wounds. He was pronounced dead at the scene. It says it started as a domestic dispute after he had assaulted a woman and threatened her life while brandishing a firearm.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah.
Riley Bowman: Okay. So, again, domestic dispute. Violence is occurring. Abuse or assault is happening of a woman. This man. And in this case, it says he was brandishing a firearm. She shot him multiple times and killed him right there. Now, it doesn't say whether she took this man's gun, managed to take it away from him, or if she had her own gun. And frankly, it's irrelevant. But here again, a very, very similar situation of man assaulting a woman, and she defended herself.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, domestic means there's some sort of existing relationship there, right? So is this the ex-boyfriend, the ex-whatever? Or current. The current, we don't know. Yeah, I mean, the husband and wife for all we know, I suppose. Smacking her around, gets the gun, makes a threat with the gun. Oh, crap. Some robber retrieves her own gun, probably, presumably. And bang, bang. Game over.
Riley Bowman: Yep. Good for her. I mean, it's terrible. We don't wish these things upon people. But if you are going to be violently assaulted, it's justified to use deadly force in response.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah. I mean, I'm sure she has to deal with that, right? That's tough.
Riley Bowman: But, like, good for you because the alternative is that you're now the one that's dead potentially, right? So... So that's why I say it's good for her because victims don't deserve to die. Bad people sometimes deserve to die.
Jacob Paulsen: I'm really upset with this next one.
Riley Bowman: Tell us why.
Jacob Paulsen: I was just in Wichita.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, I saw that too.
Jacob Paulsen: And I had great food there both times. On the way to the Guardian Conference, we ate at Bite Me.
Riley Bowman: Bite Me Barbecue.
Jacob Paulsen: It was fantastic. It was. It was great. They had this pickle bar that Riley was into full of disgusting pickled things. That's not true. It was delicious. Not everything pickled is disgusting, just the pickles.
Riley Bowman: But actually, no, seriously, the ribs there were fantastic. Sausage was excellent.
Jacob Paulsen: Brisket was on point, and it was good. Yeah, yeah. Yeah, the ribs were good. Sausage was good, yeah. And then on the way home, I don't know if you weren't with us that time, but we stopped at another barbecue place.
Riley Bowman: In Wichita.
Jacob Paulsen: In Wichita. Crap. What was the name?
Riley Bowman: And you mentioned the name, and I was like, I think that's one we stopped at several years ago.
Jacob Paulsen: We did, but during lunch, you see, they have an all-you-can-eat barbecue buffet. First time I've ever seen it in my life. Smoked meat, all you can eat. They had three different ribs. They had a honey glazed. Right? They had the St. Louis dry rub. They had a short rib. They had two different bristles. They had a lean and a moist. They had hot links. They had sirloin, thinly sliced smoked sirloin. Ooh. Yeah, right? Turkey, chicken, mac and cheese, a couple of potato salads, a traditional garden salad bar. All you could eat at lunch. I was thinking it was like $22.99 with drinks.
Riley Bowman: That's amazing.
Jacob Paulsen: It was unbelievable sign me up yeah hold on i'm gonna look this place up because i feel like we i.
Riley Bowman: I was so i'm you know we eat at the same place on the way there i'm speaking as though i didn't eat at the second place because that's true because my uh i was there with my family we traveled there to the car game conference we took a different route home uh unfortunately
Jacob Paulsen: B and c barbecue yeah so for those of you in you know the wichita area if you haven't had a b and c or bite me barbecue like i don't you know but go for lunch get to all you get okay Okay, so anyway, that's why I'm a little frustrated that this happened in Wichita. I have such like a good positive association with Wichita right now, and this is like ruining it. But this one is terrible and probably one of those that could have been avoidable. This is another one of those I made some poor decisions, and I put myself in a situation that I didn't necessarily have to be in. And because I'm in that situation, I'm forced now to make some compromised decisions. Yeah. Right. So it's hard to we sit here, we arm armchair quarterback these situations. But the real tragic part is when it's like, yeah, you had to make some tough calls, but you would not have had to make those tough decisions if you'd made some good decisions in the outset. Right.
Riley Bowman: Well, you haven't given any of the details of this yet, so I guess I'll take the lead on that now. So two victims involved here. All right. This is how it's described, but really what it is is one of those is the true victim. The other one is a 15-year-old perpetrator of the initial crime. What happened is a 30-year-old homeowner discovered the teenager was outside rummaging through his vehicle. Okay, so that's the first lesson learned. I mean, rummaging through a vehicle. I've heard this before. Often means vehicles not secured properly in the first place. Now, it could have been they broke in and they're rummaging through. But anyway, point is, teenagers rummaging through this guy's vehicle. He goes outside his home to confront this 15-year-old boy. And upon doing so, a 15-year-old fires a weapon, hitting the homeowner.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, the way it's written in the news story gives me the impression that's like, hey, what are you doing? Bang.
Riley Bowman: Yep.
Jacob Paulsen: Right? like an immediate like oh crap like i've been caught fire now.
Riley Bowman: Yep yep the homeowner's hit like just like that i mean he could have been out of the fight immediately however he is able to return fire and he hits the 15 year old suspect uh does say the incident remains under investigation i mean it seems like a clear-cut use of deadly force in defense in terms you know from the homeowner's perspective but the problem here and the lessons to be learned are we've We've talked about this how many times over the years. Vehicle crime, especially where it's just, where it's getting stolen, broken into, things are getting stolen from your property. So in other words, property crime in general, that happens outside of your home, outside the confines of the walls of your home, And it's risky when you get yourself involved by going outside to confront or encounter or try to stop said property crime from occurring.
Jacob Paulsen: You are dropping the drawbridge and walking out of your castle across the moat into plain open land and saying, what's going on out here?
Riley Bowman: Yes, 100%. I like how you said that. Wow. I did it.
Jacob Paulsen: I impressed Riley.
Riley Bowman: That's a great way of explaining it. You have your castle. You got your moat. You got the drawbridge up. Things are secure. You are safe as could be. People can try to get across the moat. People can try to throw a ladder and get over the wall. They can try to bust through a door, bust through a window. That changes things. But when you are the one that's willingly lowering the drawbridge and going out. Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: You're just like, hey, what are you doing out here? Not cool, man.
Riley Bowman: Yep.
Jacob Paulsen: Leave my horse alone.
Riley Bowman: I'm not going to say you don't have the right to do that.
Jacob Paulsen: Oh, sure, sure. You absolutely have the right.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. But it's a risky tactical play.
Jacob Paulsen: And you are the victim of a crime. Like, no question about it. Not cool. But yes, tactically, you've made some decisions that have put you in a compromised position.
Riley Bowman: Right. And that's what happened here. And it nearly caught. Well, all we have is they were hit. They were injured. It's entirely possible this homeowner. We don't have an updated report on this. Yeah. It's entirely possible he could still pass away from his gunshot wound.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah. According to the report, they're both in critical condition.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. Right. Right.
Jacob Paulsen: And some marksmen, by the way, we don't see a lot of 15-year-old car burglars get this lucky.
Riley Bowman: They do get lucky.
Jacob Paulsen: They do get lucky sometimes.
Riley Bowman: Maybe it was very close quarters.
Jacob Paulsen: We don't know. My 15-year-old's breaking into your car. He could probably get you. He could shoot. So he's not 15 anymore.
Riley Bowman: Right.
Jacob Paulsen: So, yes, the takeaway here is compromised decision, now a compromised position, and now we're in a gunfight.
Riley Bowman: We don't want to be in gunfights if we can help it. In this case, now the gunfight was forced upon the homeowner. What started as a property crime now turned into a gunfight that was forced upon homeowner. Homeowner was fortunate in being able to return fire, which probably saved his life at that point. But, again, he could still lose his life. as it states, they are both still in critical condition.
Jacob Paulsen: Or he could have to live the rest of his life knowing he killed a 15-year-old boy.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. Which, I mean, yeah. That has an emotional cost as well, for sure. Uh let's see here oh this next one oh this is i
Jacob Paulsen: Am so lost i'm like reading through it right now trying to see if i could like sensibly create a narrative in my mind to share with our audience.
Riley Bowman: It is it is complex uh this happened in phoenix is our second story today that was in the phoenix area it says here the headline is police identify three killed in home invasion shooting in south phoenix okay so the way this starts let me see if i can explain it i'll hand it to you and you can do some further explanation all right but police respond to a call they initially discover a crash there's two cars involved in a crash officers check in on that crash and one of the men involved in that crash has been shot and he's inside the vehicle and he's been shot oh okay all right we got we got an issue here you know a crash and guy in vehicle has been shot they learn moments later it says that a second man was found shot outside a burger king so presumably in the area okay okay so now we've got okay first of all dude in car who was shot dude found another dude found a burger king shot okay and then oh and he tells the detectives that he was shot at a home and gives the location. Okay. All right. All right. So that's two. Both of those victims were taken to the hospital and they're expected to recover, it says. They then go to the home to investigate. They learn that two men entered the home, one of whom was armed and presumably homeowner says a person inside the house shot and killed one of them.
Jacob Paulsen: This is freaking crazy.
Riley Bowman: It is crazy. Then says the resident retreated within the home. Hey, I'm going to give props right there. And as far as, hey, home invasion, resident shoots, kills one, retreats, presumably back to a position of defense, place of cover. Okay. That's awesome. We don't hear about that very often. But then he says he returned when he hears another family member in the home calling for help. We've talked about this very scenario where it's like, hey, if possible, you want to, what's our what's our acronym ifdr right isolate the family isolate the family defend the rooms the ideal situation is if you have a home invasion get your whole family isolated in one one defensible spot defend them from that defensible location um but are there situations where there may be family members in other parts of the home now we have a situation where we may not be able to just simply isolate and and defend a particular room or location so the homeowner goes back from their place of retreat, shoots and kills a second intruder. Again, trying to defend a family stacking bodies
Jacob Paulsen: In the story. Right.
Riley Bowman: And then it just says, during the gunfire, three men were shot and killed. Says the alleged intruders found dead inside the home. There's two of them, right? There's two intruders that said that were found dead inside the home. And it said two had intruded in the home. A third man was found deceased in a nearby alley. And we have no idea who that is.
Jacob Paulsen: That's where it was. Yeah, but we can't connect him to the narrative.
Riley Bowman: And again, there's still two other people who are shot and injured elsewhere.
Jacob Paulsen: Here's the best construction I can give of this. What is going on? We have a home invasion.
Riley Bowman: Yep.
Jacob Paulsen: In that home invasion, there are at least two people directly involved in the home invasion. But presumably, there's five. At least five.
Riley Bowman: Maybe there's five or three others that the homeowner doesn't know about.
Jacob Paulsen: Right, right. Maybe the homeowner only saw the two.
Riley Bowman: The two go inside the house and a couple others are outside the house.
Jacob Paulsen: Unclear.
Riley Bowman: Presumably, one of these guys is a getaway car.
Jacob Paulsen: But all five get shot. So bear in mind that they're not hanging out down the road. Yeah. Like we have five presumably BGs who get shot. I mean, this is wild. So let me postulate a theory. Five BGs go into the house. Homeowner doesn't see them all, but it's like, oh, crap, bad guys. Bang, bang, bang, bang. I think I got one. Okay. Retreat. Oh, I hear screams for help. That sounds like my insert family member title here. Re-engage in the fight. Oh, they're still there. Pop, pop, pop, pop, pop. Another body goes down. They stop shooting back. It's like, I think I got another one. The cops roll up. They're like, we got two bodies. He's like, yeah, I think I got both of them. Then they start doing some, like connecting some dots. Like, well, we got a third body in the alley. Plus that dude who was shot in the car that was in the crash that we drove past. Plus, a little later, we get a report from another guy who's bleeding out in front of a Burger King in town who says that he was shot over here at this address. So we got five total people who have been shot. Three of which are dead and two are injured. So this homeowner, I'd love to see the round count, man. We were dispensing some lead in this game.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, I mean, we don't – this is a crazy,
Jacob Paulsen: Wild story.
Riley Bowman: Here's a couple of lessons that we can take away from this. Quite often, home invasions involve multiple home invaders or intruders. Yes. Okay?
Jacob Paulsen: Almost always.
Riley Bowman: Be prepared for that. Oh, yes, absolutely.
Jacob Paulsen: I mean, five may be a high number on average, but one is very unlikely.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, I mean, it happens, but we see so many instances where there's multiple threats involved, right? So that's important to know and understand and take away from this. The other thing is just because you think there's only two that you see here, there could be others elsewhere. So it's not just that there could be multiple, but it also be prepared for them to be in multiple locations, like completely different locations. Who knows what happened there? It could be, by the way, Jacob, that some of these guys that got shot were shot by their own. You know, bad guys that shot, you know, a fellow bad guy, you know, because they just start, you know, popping off rounds in the direction of the homeowner and get one of their own people. I've wondered, by the way, we don't know this for a fact. I'm reading into this, but it does say in the story that the third man found dead in the alley says that he may have been trying to escape. And initially i read that as home intruder trying to escape gets shot at some point you know we don't know how and when but then he dies in the alleyway but remember how there's a family member screaming for help and it made me think i mean i don't think this is what happened but could this be a potential uh answer that maybe that's a home uh family member that decided to get out of their bedroom part of the house you know trying to escape the violence that's taking place because they're
Jacob Paulsen: Not named as the person found in the alley is not named as a suspect yeah but they're specifically named as a victim yeah so yeah that could be maybe maybe we only have four intruders and one good guy that got shot and died yeah yeah unclear.
Riley Bowman: Clearly i mean these kinds of situations are and can be and are messy yeah and you got to have a good solid plan in place of how you're going to defend your family and defend your home.
Jacob Paulsen: Do you remember the home invasion story we covered where we had security video? And it was a woman. It was the homeowner. And we have four or five guys in the house. And she comes out of a room shooting back. And they all scatter like the wind. And she follows several of them to the front door. And she's sort of like shooting through the front door. And then on the camera, unbeknownst to her, another bad guy runs right past her, behind her, out a side door. Because he was in a different room. She has no idea that he was there the whole time. Like, So, yeah, I think, you know, these things get crazy real fast. And, no, I think everything we know about the homeowner's actions seem pretty good.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, I mean, the homeowner, yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: For all we know, this homeowner knows that they shot and capped four dudes. I don't know.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. I mean, it seems that it was a justified use of deadly force in defense of the home and the family.
Jacob Paulsen: Bullets were flying both ways.
Riley Bowman: So, wild, wild, wild story. Wild West, dang near.
Jacob Paulsen: Hey, we got a question here from a live viewer.
Riley Bowman: I actually was going to point that one to you.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah.
Riley Bowman: I think this is worth answering.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah. The hard question is probably no, but the question is, can I put my gun under my pillow while sleeping? I suppose you can. I mean, I don't know any reason why you can't. It would seem like it's probably perfectly legal.
Riley Bowman: You can.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah. I just don't think it's a good idea. Right. In fact, and I've taken a lot of flack for this. There's a lot of things I've taken flack for. but back in i don't know 2018 or something i did this uh we wrote this article i did this little study where i put a camera on me laying in my bed and i you know a buzzer would go off i'd jump out of the bed i'd grab a cert pistol and i'd shoot a target on that was like taped to the door of my bedroom and the software was able to measure the time between the buzzer and the impact the little laser on the target and i did you know probably 40 or 50 iterations of this but i every seven or so iterations i changed the type of uh, staging system for the gun. So in one case, the gun just sitting on the nightstand. And the next, I put it in XYZ style of safe. And then this other style of safe, and we're testing different. The idea was to see how much faster really is it to just have the gun sitting there under the pillow or on the nightstand or whatever, versus me having to retrieve from a safe. And then looking at the safes, are some of these safes faster to retrieve the gun from than others? And the key takeaway, way if you go read it basically is that the the time gap the difference like how much slower is it to retrieve the gun from a safe that's sitting on my nightstand versus the gun just sitting on the nightstand is about one and a half seconds so one and a half seconds slower to have to reach that's that was the best case scenario safe some safes were much slower than that but the best case scenario safe was one and a half seconds slower than the gun just sitting right there on my nightstand so you know to each their own you have to make some decisions about you know those kinds of things. For me, I'm happy. It's not an issue for me to be slowed down one and a half seconds in exchange for knowing that the firearm can't be picked up by the guy who walks into my bedroom while I'm sleeping that broke into the house, to know that the gun can't be retrieved by an unauthorized person when I wake up in the morning and yawn and wander downstairs and leave it sitting there on my nightstand, or to know that when I wake up in a semi-awake, semi-dream state and think I have an intruder and grab my gun and shoot and find out later it's my wife. Ask us how many times we've seen that story. I don't have to worry about that happening. So I strongly discourage sleeping with a gun under your pillow. Frankly, I discourage sleeping with a gun unsecured at all.
Riley Bowman: 100%. You should – here's what I will say. To the gun on a nightstand, gun under a pillow proposed solutions, um don't ever storage don't ever stage a firearm with a trigger exposed because just in the act of grabbing the gun you can miss especially when it's dark it's late you're tired you're half awake whatever and you accidentally snag the trigger uh there we have some good commentary going on here where Davis, who is replying, says, or use a single action and keep the safety on. It's still possible to deactivate the safety.
Jacob Paulsen: Your pillow could do it while you're sleeping.
Riley Bowman: You know, so...
Jacob Paulsen: I train when I grab a gun to grab it in such a way that if there is a safety, I disengage it and I hold it off.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. Davis also... He commented here saying that this has happened to him in the night where he's accidentally squeezed the trigger on his Glock 26 and had it go off. So right there alone is good enough, you know, reason why not to do this. Whoa, red flag. Alvin then replies saying, no, sir, I keep it in the pouch. I don't know what a, you mean a holster or is it like a. I don't know. But you say you don't trust it without the pouch being under your pillow. Okay, at least you're doing something. Here's the thing, man. We really recommend staging a firearm in a quick access vault, a pistol vault. I get in and out of my gun, in and out of my quick access vault next to my bed every day, sometimes multiple times a day. I am so practiced in doing that. It doesn't take me long at all. And I am not concerned about the amount of time it takes to do so. In fact, what I am concerned about is me being awakened in the night and reacting to something so quickly before I can actually start thinking with a clear mind. And the couple of seconds it takes for me to roll out of the bed, enter in my code in my quick access vault and retrieve my gun, at least is some amount of time where I can start thinking clearly about what's going on and how I'm going to respond to it.
Jacob Paulsen: It's forcing cognition.
Riley Bowman: 100%. So that's where my answer would be as well. So good question and appreciate you tuning into the podcast today. We've got a couple more stories here still to wrap up. We've got here. Let's see here. This one was out of. It's loading. There we go. Freeborn County. I'm not quite sure where that is.
Jacob Paulsen: Aiden and Freeborn County.
Riley Bowman: Let's see if we can. Minnesota. This is in Minnesota. Freeborn County Sheriff's Office is a reporting agency. I think it's Alden A-L-D-E-N Minnesota We've had a couple interesting stories today that involved people that knew each other. This is another one it's a little bit different context than the earlier sexual assaults but this says here Sheriff's Office releases names of men killed, others injured in rural Alden Basically what sounds like happened here is you have a couple of elderly or senior citizen parents with an adult son that lives at home with them and another adult son that has some kind of protection order against him. Restraining order. Yeah, he's not supposed to be there. He's not supposed to show up there. He's supposed to keep away from his parents, his family. His brother. There's some kind of history here is what it would seem, okay, by nature of that.
Jacob Paulsen: It does say something about the restraining order having expired.
Riley Bowman: Against the brother.
Jacob Paulsen: Oh, okay.
Riley Bowman: But it doesn't say that was the case with regards to...
Jacob Paulsen: Restraining orders prevented him from being at the residence or having contact with his parents. A previous harassment restraining order preventing him from having contact with his brothers expired. He also has two outstanding arrest warrants for violations of these restraining orders against his parents. Okay, I'm following now.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, so there is a history here. A history of violence.
Jacob Paulsen: Of restraining orders not working.
Riley Bowman: A history of restraining orders, a history of violating those restraining orders. Basically what happens here is this, this son, again, he's an adult son. I mean, he's 40, uh, something years old. He, he goes to his parents' house when he's not supposed to. Uh, he apparently attacks his family. Again, there's his parents involved and a brother, all three, meaning mom, dad, and brother have to be treated from injuries as a result of this altercation with this brother, this son. And it says the parents were injured with blunt force injuries. The brother also received injuries. One of them, I'm not sure if it says actually who, Jacob, but somebody in that home shot the brother violating the protective order.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, unclear. Found with gunshot wounds to the chest.
Riley Bowman: Yep. So, and he is, he's shot and killed. Okay. It's a sad, sad, tragic story.
Jacob Paulsen: He was beating others with a steel pipe.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. Again, the blunt force injuries.
Jacob Paulsen: And he was believed his last known residence was outside the state. So this is probably not something you really see coming. It's like, ah, we don't think he's around. He's gone now. Been a rough 10, 20, 30, whatever years. And all of a sudden he shows up with a pipe.
Riley Bowman: The restraining order is still in effect. It's probably not been that long.
Jacob Paulsen: It's been a rough while. But we currently believe he's out of state. And then he shows up with a pipe and starts beating everyone.
Riley Bowman: Yeah i mean so this is again this is a troubled individual clearly has a history with his family they've they have obviously gotten restraining orders against him um he has a grudge or whatever shows up to uh to take action against them and somebody in that home shoots and kills him so that's the justified save story here and uh it's it's sad it's tragic but uh good on them for being able to defend themselves and prevent other people from being killed Uh, is there another comment there?
Jacob Paulsen: Well, as a follow-up to our nightstand conversation, I was trying to see how that went.
Riley Bowman: Oh yeah. So Davis just adding, you know, again, kind of, you said that something like this, any intruder is going to know immediately to look for the nightstand or the drawer for a pistol and stop you before you can get it or take it away. That certainly could happen. And it sounds like you've got to keep this guy away from the house before someone really gets hurt. Yeah. Yeah. Referring to, um, presumably the story we were just talking about. Yeah. Yeah, but as you mentioned, as you alluded to, Jacob, restraining orders are just that. They're a piece of paper that supposedly – I mean, what it is is if somebody violates a restraining order, gives you the authority, the power to arrest that individual. Which he has. It doesn't actually
Jacob Paulsen: Have warrants for having a restraining order. But I mean, this is not to discourage you from getting a restraining order. It's just that we don't want it to become this false sense of security that, oh, I got this paper. I'm safe now. Yep, exactly.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. This next story is our second to last one. I probably could have found one, but I thought the detail in this X or Twitter post was good enough. That's where I found it, stumbled upon it. This is a story out of Chicago.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, I think it was Chicago. Chicago Police.
Riley Bowman: There it is. Police Department. Yep. So this involves a contractor of some kind, a construction worker who is working on a job. And why don't you tell folks what happened here, Jacob?
Jacob Paulsen: This one I'm also trying to put together. But basically, so we got our construction worker doing his deal. And a group of people pull up at the location. Yeah.
Riley Bowman: Apparently, one of them is a known aspiring rap artist.
Jacob Paulsen: I guess.
Riley Bowman: He's known as Glizzy the Tweaker.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah. Yeah, I mean, apparently he's known enough that when we tweet about him, we can just say his name.
Riley Bowman: And I said that because I think I saw another social media post somewhere. That that identified him as being an aspiring it doesn't say it in this one but being an aspiring rap artist but anyway
Jacob Paulsen: So our contractor says that he believes he was if uh that he was part of a robbery gone wrong so presumably these people are you know maybe they think the house is empty or i don't know what's going on but they they decide to uh you know rob the house is the perception here yep.
Riley Bowman: And it's a contractor that's working at this
Jacob Paulsen: House right yeah construction contractor yep so They enter the house. I guess it doesn't say that, but presumably they enter the house. He fires shots at them. It specifies that he has an concealed carry license. He fires shots at them. Then they get away in a vehicle, minus the two people that were shot.
Riley Bowman: The tweaker got killed.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, the tweaker's done.
Riley Bowman: That robbery did not go the way they hoped it would go. This reminds me back when I used to be still in the construction industry. Jacob. I didn't always do this, but as I became more serious about concealed carry, I started carrying concealed even when I was working. It wasn't always convenient. It wasn't always easy. It wasn't always comfortable. I had to get sometimes creative about how I carried because if I was wearing tool bags or tool belt, that sometimes was challenging. But I had heard enough things and seen enough things happen and actually worked on a couple of jobs in some not so great areas of town. I installed cabinets in the Five Points neighborhood in Denver, which anybody knows Five Points. I mean, it's an area that's coming back. It's being kind of turned around, made it a little bit nicer than it was, but crime was still not super great in that area. And so I started carrying as a contractor. And yeah, so here's an example of where that came in handy.
Jacob Paulsen: I wanted to add a detail that I think we've neglected to mention, which is that multiple guns were recovered from the scene. So this was suggested to the contractor to not just see some people and start shooting them, but that he had reasonable cause to...
Riley Bowman: There were multiple people, likely multiple of them armed, that tried to rob him. He shot and successfully defended himself and killed Glizzy the tweaker.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, too bad for Glizzy. It's too bad for him.
Riley Bowman: All right, final story. This happened in Florida, Pembroke Pines. A woman was taken to the hospital, a suspect taken into custody after a shooting, it says here. It was a Tuesday morning. A 24-year-old suspect was arrested on attempted murder charges. That happened just before 11 a.m., and it started as a domestic incident between known parties. Seeing kind of a theme of today's episode here. It says a woman was shot and taken to an area hospital for treatment. A man related to the shooting was taken into custody by the police department. The investigation remains ongoing. It says that one resident reported seeing an all-out fight. Gunfight. Gunfight. And he watched what he believed were two men opening fire on each other. Don't know what led to that exactly. But what happened unfortunately for a third party here was that there was a female that got shot she was kind of caught in the crossfire oh that's right it does say here that it started as she went to
Jacob Paulsen: The victim's house Tuesday and a dispute erupted between several people over child custody so I think you have a blended family living together and one of the children's fathers who's not part of the family shows up and that's that's the yeah uh origin of the dispute.
Riley Bowman: What's interesting about this i included as a justified safe story we don't know who the good party here is yeah
Jacob Paulsen: Not based on the info we have yeah.
Riley Bowman: Right uh we know that there's two men that start shooting each other presumably one of them is the aggressor one is you know likely defending themselves. So, I mean, it would seem as though it's the man coming to this home to initiate this custody dispute, but that doesn't necessarily mean that's the case. And it reminds me of the case out of Texas a couple years ago, Jacob. Remember this one where it was a child custody dispute? A man shows up at a home. He's, you know, trying to either collect his child or whatever and the it's the man's ex-wife and she's now with another man that man uh comes out of the house with a it was a ruger um if i recall the report on this was a ruger pistol carbine pistol caliber carbine and he you know they're they're face to face and the homeowner ends up firing around at the man's feet as a warning he's like it back off, get out of, you know, get off my property kind of thing. And the guy keeps pressing him and at that, and he kind of like makes a lunging move. And at that point, the homeowner raises the rifle and shoots him in the chest, kills him. Uh, if I'm not mistaken, uh, the homeowner faced charges on that. I don't remember how that ended up resolving. Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: I don't remember either.
Riley Bowman: But, uh, anyway, it was a messy, messy situation.
Jacob Paulsen: Family is messy. Yeah. You know, and, and very few of the people watching or listening to this have a world where you just don't have any drama in your family tree. There's drama. It could be that you have – I was hanging out yesterday with a friend of mine. We were talking about guns and stuff, and he's got an adult child who has a history of theft and drugs and stuff. That could be a member of your family who has that going on. It could be you have restraining orders against members of your family. It could be that you've adopted somebody or you're fostering a child or you have a stepchild that, you know, has a questionable other parent. I mean, it's just family is messy and it's emotional and it leads to these situations. Not always. It can. Just saying it can. Yeah.
Riley Bowman: We got to be careful. We got to be mindful. We got to be smart, make good decisions. And in situations like this, I know it's tough. I've been there as a third party. uh, growing up, I came from, from a blended family.
Jacob Paulsen: Sure.
Riley Bowman: And there were some custody challenges, uh, involving a stepsister of mine. And, uh, that, uh, wasn't always, you know, it wasn't easy, you know, unfortunately nothing, you know, like this happened obviously, but, um, but emotions can run high and you gotta, gotta keep your head about yourself, keep your wits about yourself, uh, allow attorneys and courts to do their job. Um, You know, and yeah, because trying to solve problems yourself where emotions run high is where things can get sticky really fast.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, less than fun.
Riley Bowman: So that, I think, brings us to a conclusion, at least of our stories here today. Yeah, we got through them all. So there's another Justified Saves episode for you. I didn't realize, Jacob, it had been since the start of the summer, since we did our last Justified Saves episode. So we'll try to get back on track of doing our Justified Saves more regularly. We like to try to do this at least once a month. There's generally no shortage of stories to cover.
Jacob Paulsen: No, that's not the problem.
Riley Bowman: So, yeah, just a matter of making sure we organize those episodes and put them together for you. Hopefully you guys enjoy them and get something out of them. Let us know if that's the case. You're always welcome to email us, podcast.concealedcarry.com, to let us know how we're doing with the podcast, to ask any questions you may have. We're always still open to taking questions. It seems like, you know, that kind of comes and goes sometimes where we get maybe a couple emails back to back and then go months and don't hear from people sometimes. We definitely are interested in your questions um and we're also interested in you sending stories our way too if there's something that you think is relevant and you would like to see us cover on the podcast we'll can't promise we'll always do that but we do our best to if there's stories or things that are of interest for our our audience we'd like to
Jacob Paulsen: Say most of the time we do address you know absolutely may that content does make its way into the.
Riley Bowman: Podcast absolutely so feel free again hit us up podcast at concealed carry.com we appreciate you listening and being a part of the Concealed Carry podcast and supporting us and our sponsors as well that make this possible. Our sponsors again today were CCW Safe, which you can learn more at ccwsafe.com and KSG Armory Holsters, which you can find at ksgarmory.com. And so with that, we'll leave this one to a wrap. To wrap it up, Jacob, train right, train often,
Jacob Paulsen: Train safe. So you can fight hard, fight fast, and fight true.
Riley Bowman: Take care, everyone. A reminder that laws vary from place to place, and we encourage listeners to seek local legal advice to understand applicable laws. Concealed Carry, Inc., its brands and properties, and the Concealed Carry podcast is not a legal service, nor are we attorneys at law. We make our best faith effort to share Concealed Carry-related insights and information about firearm-related incidents and the laws pertaining based on our own understanding and experience. But things can be different where you live, or laws may have changed by the time you listen to this. We cannot be held liable for your actions based on the information shared in this podcast. Please exercise care with all things pertaining to firearm use, concealed carry, and always practice following basic firearm safety rules. More information about safety can be found at concealedcarry.com forward slash safety.