Riley Bowman: And welcome to the Concealed Carry Podcast, part of the ConcealedCarry.com network, brought to you by HK. Today is September 25th, 2025, as we're recording this episode. I'm your host, Riley Bowman, and I'm joined today by a special guest. We'll call him honorary co-host as well. I mean, he's been on the show more than once now, so he can have the honorary co-host chair now as well. That's Charlie Perez. Hello, Charlie.
Jacob Paulsen: Thanks for having me on. I'm looking forward to our discussion.
Riley Bowman: Likewise. We'll get into that shortly. But first, today's episode is sponsored and brought to you by Guardian Nation. GuardianNation.com is a website where you can learn more. Guardian Nation is our membership program for people to get access to tons of training resources, including what we refer to as guardian university which is our video repository or video library of hundreds of hours of content that you can learn a ton about concealed carry shooting defensive tactics. All kinds of things including very soon. We will have in the video library the guardian university library we will have a red dot pistol course that was that i filmed over the course of summer that'll be going live hopefully soon so watch for that as well but guardian nation members get full and complete access to guardian university as well as discounts off of everything available for sale at concealed carry.com membership of things like ccw safe you get discount off of that as well discounts off of the guardian conference each year which we just got done hosting this last weekend we had a great time in oklahoma city for the fifth year now for the guardian conference and in fact tickets are available right now for the 2026 guardian conference and again guardian nation members save big like 250 bucks or something like that um off of the ticket for the conference so you'll want to check that out and learn more at guardian nation.com you can also learn more about guardian university at guardian or concealed carry.com forward see concealed carry.com yeah forward slash guardian dash university and also if you want to learn more about the guardian conference go to guardianconference.com all right uh sponsors today you'll see on the banner for those you uh watching the video uh ccw safe is also a major sponsor of the podcast they were a sponsor of the Guardian conference as well. So just recognizing them with that here today. But we have today with us, well, I guess we could give you not only the honorary co-host seat of the podcast, Charlie, but also honorary sponsor in a way because you're here and you're representing yourself and we want to plug your stuff too. And Charlie's website is bigpandaperformance.com. If you want to learn more about Charlie and sign up for a training or buy his book called The Path of Focused Effort, that's available on his website as well. But yeah, if you don't know who Charlie Perez is, Charlie is a top 10 ranked competitive practical shooter. He very consistently finished in the top 10 at national level matches, national championships. He's a respected trainer and instructor. He's been doing classes here locally in the Colorado Front Range area for a number of years and also takes his classes out on the road periodically. I don't know how many times you get out on the road this last year, Charlie.
Jacob Paulsen: I usually do like five or six classes on the road. Yeah.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. And I've seen you all over the place, Texas and back east somewhere. I don't remember where that was now.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, all the hot places.
Riley Bowman: All the hot places. Yeah, so Grandmaster Shooter in multiple divisions. And, yeah, like I said, just a great – well, you're a great all-around guy, too. That's the thing. People like you. You're a big panda, hence the name, right?
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah. Who doesn't like a big panda? Exactly. Thanks for that introduction
Riley Bowman: Yeah and thanks for being on the podcast this evening with me.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah. I think today, like we were going to talk about, you know, why attend training, even as an instructor. And I think that it's important that we kind of set the ground rules of like, what really is an instructor? So what's your opinion on what an instructor is?
Riley Bowman: Well, I like, you're really leaning into that co-host responsibility now by asking the questions, man. Yeah. I like it. So, you know, and in all transparency, you and I were discussing this a little bit before show and it is a very valid question. And, you know, because a lot of people, they may even see the title of this episode and think, well, I'm not an instructor, you know. So I'd like to think we're going to talk about attending training today from a perspective that I think can apply to everybody. But who's an instructor? It's a very fair question. I think traditionally speaking, people are like, well, if I got a NRA instructor certificate or something from another training organization or law enforcement or something like that, then, okay, that must make me an instructor. And certainly, I guess that technically qualifies someone as an instructor in terms of having the requisite certificate or whatever. Even that alone doesn't necessarily make an instructor or at least a quality instructor. Correct. And so just because you have a certificate does not mean that, you know, you're, you're very good at doing that. And I'm not speaking about anyone for, you know, in particular here, but that that's just a fact, but that's also true of, you know, you could say a teacher at, you know, my kids elementary school, I know teachers or I've known teachers. I'm not going to say there's one in particular right now. Actually, I think my teachers, my kids are pretty good right now, but I've known teachers that, yes, they have the training and the certificate as a teacher, but I'm like, how are you a teacher?
Jacob Paulsen: Questionable effectivity.
Riley Bowman: You should understand some basic things you clearly aren't understanding about working with, you know, children and trying to teach them stuff. Anyway, but so, you know, flip that around because just because you have a certificate doesn't necessarily make you an instructor or at least a good one. But just because you don't have the traditional, you know, training or certification background doesn't necessarily mean you aren't an instructor or a teacher at the very least. Um, and so, you know, it's kind of like when I first became an instructor, you know, by certification process, I had already been spending some time teaching people close to me about, you know, guns, about safety, about how to shoot a little bit. Now I, I, I apologize to anyone that received training from me back in those days, cause I didn't know a whole lot and I'm still learning even today. But I was doing a little teaching, and I would like to think that I was at least doing a good job with respect of teaching people safety because that was something that was always really important to me. I never really had a tolerance for a lack of safety, and I think that's something that more and more people today need because we need good representatives in all of the 2A community that are encouraging proper safety. So there's my initial answer. So what are your thoughts on who is an instructor?
Jacob Paulsen: I think yours hits on a lot of the heavy hitters there, right? Like I think that it's important that we all kind of have a duality mindset of being both a teacher or instructor, whatever word you want to use for it, as well as a student. Because instructors or trainers or educators, they need to learn how to do that craft and, And they need to be a student in order to learn and be able to execute that craft effectively. And I think that just marksmen in general, like getting into, you know, plinking on the range, competitive shooting, self-defense, like any of that kind of stuff, it usually starts with a family member or a friend that starts with some base level of safety. And here's what the basics are of how to hold a firearm, the safety part of it. There's how we align sites. This is what we need to do to not displace our hits. You know, those kind of things. Now, I mean, the effectivity of that training can always be kind of subjective. Like what we learn as humans, you know, 10 years ago versus now, right? It's always going to be evolving. So I don't think we can beat each other up too bad about saying like my training so many years ago was poor. It was probably as effective as we knew of the skill set that we were trying to convey at the time. And also like the skill set of being a trainer and conveying content. So I think that the thing I'm trying to get to here is if anybody wants to get really good in any specific skill, whether it's firearms or anything else, it's going to be very difficult if you're not a trainer, right? If you don't have that assessment mindset to observe how things are being done, break it down, build a process on what is causing the lack of performance, and then let's rebuild that process to make it more efficient or more aggressively or whatever the thing is to make it happen, quote-unquote, gooder, right? If you don't have that skill, it's going to be very difficult to increase your skill set, right? So I think it's important that Everybody kind of put on that quote unquote trainer hat from time to time to exercise their own knowledge of the content they're trying to master themselves, right? Because the more you understand the content and the foundational information and how to convey that content, it makes it much easier for you yourself to understand and absorb that content.
Riley Bowman: I like that. The way you articulated that, I think, is really quite profound, actually. It made me think about where I started to advance my own skills pretty quickly. If you look at my whole life, because I've been shooting for most of my life, there was kind of this slow burn, slow growth, right? Just little by little. Um, and then, you know, in a couple of little spots where maybe a little bit of a quick little jump up, um, but, uh, there was a period, you know, roughly a decade ago and, and, and even up through, you know, now we're, and again, there's still some little kind of plateaus and things here and there, but there was a point where like, really things started to take off for me skill wise. And as I, like what you just said made me think about is once I started, um, putting that trainer hat on with regards to myself and really looking at what I was doing. You got some friends there wanting to join. Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: Sorry about that.
Riley Bowman: You know, I started looking at my, at what I was doing, you know, technique wise, what I understood good just in general about shooting and, and starting to really like look inward and evaluate myself with like, okay, what am I doing? How am I doing it? How well am I doing it? That led me to really start to improve. And so it was sort of a way of looking, you know, kind of being my own instructor in a way, which is hard to do. I think that's something that's, you know it's challenging to be self-aware and to be able to kind of look as if you're looking at yourself from a third person point of view um i mean you can literally do that by setting up a camera and filming yourself and seeing what you do which is a very legitimate approach but it's not the only thing is even then you i i've i've you know showed people video of them shooting before uh i've had a few people over the years you know even even pay to have me review, video of themselves shooting kind of a remote coaching session and you know they've clearly watched the video themselves shooting and you know many times i can point something out they sometimes still doesn't quite you know register like what they're looking at um so that can be really challenging to do but i do think that when we can start approaching our own training and practice with that kind of trainer hat on and in mind, there's a huge opportunity for growth as a shooter.
Jacob Paulsen: Absolutely. For me, it basically forced me to break down. If I thought about, I want to improve a specific skill or a task that I'm trying to do, if I broke that down in a way and say, well, how would I explain to do this thing to somebody else? That puts my like technical assessment cap on to be like okay step one step two step three step four where are the inefficiencies within each of those sub steps and then that just that process in of itself brings a highlight to the things that how i'm conveying that or how i'm performing performing that right so if i can't explain to myself how that thing is supposed to happen you know what i mean like it's going to be very hard to pick out the individual components to identify and fix them so i i think that it's important that but everybody kind of Put on that trainer hat and say okay for this skill i want to improve let me bust it up into its sub elements and convey it in a concise succinct way to somebody else that would get it right and that that skill that is a very difficult skill to master right just like marksmanship in itself it's it's a difficult skill to master being a succinct and precise prescriptive trainer to be able to observe a student's skill set and then cherry pick out what i like to call the deepest cuts in performance right or skill set and not worry about the shallow cuts. Like we got to fix the deep cuts first and then worry about the shallow cuts second or third or 10th or 100th, right? But having that Ability to pick out those cuts is i think where it all starts right so if it starts with your own self-assessment and i like when i first started this train of your people process it started with going to the range with buddies right and we would trade time on the range and be like okay for this next 30 minute minutes you'll be the instructor and i'll be the student and then we'll reverse it and we'll pick any given skill that we think that we need help with and then we'll just act and it's mainly just an exercising of the observation skill effort right so that it really started to highlight how do i strategize around what am i looking for when do i look for that thing how do identify what somebody is doing like there's a lot of things that micro movements that we do behind a firearm that an instructor can't see directly, but they can see the aftermath of a failed attempt, if that makes sense. Not, and I'm not talking about hits and targets. I'm talking about really subtle body movements, really subtle events that happen that the student does while they're trying to perform the task.
Riley Bowman: So, yeah. Well, and that's in addition to the one thing that any of us, including as an instructor cannot see is what somebody else actually sees, as much as i'd like to as much as even when we could put little cameras or whatever right here, above or near the eye it's still not exactly what that person sees and even then it's not even if we could in theory put a camera right where a person's eye is to see their exact point of view it also doesn't even show us exactly how they perceive what they're seeing or looking at which is really key the.
Jacob Paulsen: Eyeballs could be open but the lights are not on right
Riley Bowman: Right including you know in addition to that you know things like you know what where their focal focal plane is at or their accommodation and things like that you know That can be a factor in certain things. And so, yeah, that's always been one fascinating thing as an instructor that just kind of gets me is like, it's like, you know, I wish I could see what you're seeing, you know, because that would like open up so much potential to be like, you know, to really break that down and really find some of those, you know, just little really nuanced things a lot of times too that it's like, if I could just see what you're seeing, I know there's something there. That's just being missed, that we're not quite, you know, capturing or understanding. As you know, that's something that, Especially when you want to really push the performance envelope as a shooter, a lot of that is being able to understand and process all this visual information that's happening at a high rate of speed. Yeah. And, you know, we could try to communicate it. And I've certainly, like you just got done talking about, you know. Trying to, you know, think my way through the, you know, step by step by step processes of how I do certain things. And therefore, how would I communicate that to someone else, things of that nature. And it would just be so powerful to be able to articulate things exactly to someone, you know, based on what they're actually seeing, what they're actually perceiving, what they're actually thinking, what they're actually feeling, too. That's a whole other rabbit hole we could go down is the emotions that someone's experiencing, which can widely vary from person to person in positive and negative ways, too.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah. So one thing, like little nuance thing that I've learned is trying to gain that content that the student has visually. What are they seeing? What are they thinking of at that given time? And I'll ask, like, I'll have this student shoot a drill and there'll be either success or failure at the given drill. And in both scenarios, I'll ask them, what did you see? And that's to me, that's what's opened the door. That gets us our mind open to like, oh, I got to pay attention to what's happening in this, the duration of this event. And that's where once I get them to open that door, then I can open the second door and say, okay, when did you see? When did the things happen? So to me, step one is like, were you paying attention during the event? What did you see? Did your conscious mind consume that content that went into your eyeball and into your brain? And then when did you perceive these things to happen right because if if we can't put a very definitive point on when something happened it's very hard for us to give instruction on what to do in antithesis to that right whether it's absolutely oh let's reinforce this appropriate when that resulted in a desired result on target or whatever we're trying to do or an inappropriate when like oh yeah my eyeballs flicked to this other place during the shot instead of watching the shot happen and all the stuff behind it right so I think it's important that we always kind of have an open mind and you kind of tickled on that where People's inherent behaviors and their mindset um they need to be open to learning right like i've i've had plenty of times where there's students that feel for some reason some performance pressure with just being in a class and having to perform in front of an instructor and in those scenarios that's where i think my skill set of trying to keep it light a little bit joking that kind of stuff not making it super serious but also trying to enforce the the factor of like if i have a student that has this mindset of i'm only going to perform properly through the whole class that person's not going to learn nearly as much as a person willing to try try and fail try and succeed try and fit like the people that are willing to try and fail and not feel self-conscious about that, these are the people that are willing to learn, right? So if you kind of stay in your own little comfort zone, I got my warm little jacket on, I'm not going to do anything out of my normal wheelhouse. I think you're really squandering that opportunity to find new levels of performance or new levels of understanding of what you're trying to do.
Riley Bowman: Mm-hmm i couldn't agree more with that i i just saw that this last weekend teaching some course blocks at the guardian conference and there were a couple of students where i remember you know encouraging them reminding them like you're here to learn you're not here to show me how good you can shoot and how well you do um you know so it's it's great that you're keeping all your shots right in there, you know, tight in the zone or whatever, that's, that's, you know, like, bravo, good for you. But I, if you want to get something out of this, you need to actually push yourself to, to a new place where you're, you're learning new things and, you know, the wheels start to fall off the bus a little bit. And then we can actually look at, well, why did the wheels fall off? You know, what, you know, where was the breaking point? Now we pushed you to a new place, a new performance threshold that you, you know, weren't able to previously go or you didn't allow yourself to go. And now, now we're seeing things are a little bit uncomfortable. I understand that. Okay, where's the failure points now? And so then we can start analyzing and breaking that down. That's really key. So that's really good advice, I think, what you just brought in to the conversation, whether you are attending a class or some kind of training event and looking for instruction from an instructor or trainer, or whether you're just practicing things you've learned, uh, on your own, if you're not pushing yourself and you're just staying in that comfortable, you know, place, uh, you're, you got your little, you know, woobie or whatever, and you're not, you're refusing to let go of it. Um, it's, it's hard to get better. You're just going to kind of plateau out and stay, stay where you always have been.
Jacob Paulsen: I jokingly tell my students that, um, there, nobody has learned how to pop wheelies on their bicycle as a kid without wrecking yeah right there's plenty of scraped knees and beat up bikes right like you're not going to learn how to do it without a bunch of failures to get to the point of oh now i can do the wheelie and this is how we do it and this is how i not wreck right there's lots of wrecking that needs to happen and we got to be graceful in the wrecks right meaning okay like there's plenty of times in my classes when maybe i'm pushing a student's level of aggression on a transition between targets and i could care less if they actually hit the targets when we start doing it because if i don't get them used to moving their appendages at the appropriate aggressive pace then the hits don't matter if that makes sense right so that there'll be a time when the hits do matter but like it's kind of like the like certain athletes like gymnasts or whatnot, they jump into big foam pits, right? When they're figuring out how many flips can I do in this one jump, right? Or that kind of stuff. Like there needs to be that safety net of failure that is a open environment to be able to try and fail. Yeah. I like to call that like the discovery and push portion of training, right? Because if we're not willing to discover what the limits are and what the limits are not, right, then what are we doing?
Riley Bowman: Yeah, it kind of, you just reminded me of, and I've always been fascinated by this, but, you know, like Travis Pastrana and his whole, like, Nitro Circus, you know, group, all the guys associated with that. Like i mean guys are doing tricks on bikes on with atvs with cars with all kinds of things these days that we never would have imagined a decade ago two decades ago three decades ago because somebody had to be like hey let's let's try something crazy and like i'm going to wreck and probably break bones You know, of course they got smarter with time, like develop these huge, um, uh, foam pits and, and, and, and inflated bags and everything to make that a lot safer to do and padded, you know, landing, uh, uh, ramps and zones and things. But even with all that, you watch these guys practice these, these tricks and like they wreck all the time. They wreck so many times. Oh yeah. And it's like, that's got to hurt so bad doing it again and again. And like, it's literally hurting their bodies to learn how to do these things. Meanwhile, we can, I mean, within safe limits with a firearm, we don't want to end up shooting ourselves or anybody else, but we can push the limits tremendously with a gun in our hands and fail, you know, spectacularly. And, and we're not like actually hurting ourselves. It may hurt our egos, but that's like the beautiful thing is we can push the limits quite a bit and it's not actually hurting us as long as we're being safe. And that's a huge opportunity to learn stuff. A common, I think you kind of already touched on this, but I see a common piece of advice thrown out there on the interwebs, on social media especially, where someone maybe posts up a video, like a match video, a stage they're shooting or something. And, you know, they're asking for some advice or something. And sometimes that advice might, they might be saying something along the lines of, you know, like, I'm struggling to kind of find the right balance of, you know, I go to a match and I'm really accurate, but slow, or I'm really fast and like woefully inaccurate. And it's sort of like, you know, how do I, how do I put this together? And one of the things that I see bandied about as advice is to feel free to go to a match, inappropriate settings, I think, of course, where you kind of push a little bit and allow things to fall apart a little bit with the encouragement of see if you can get used to seeing the chaoticness. The chaos of this, you know, much faster speed of shooting or level of aggression, if you will. And, and if you can start picking up on what's actually going on right before your eyes, then, you know, you eventually you can start to sort of exert a little bit of control over that and start bringing it back within your wheelhouse of, of skill. And, and like, um i've certainly have experimented without uh heck i shot a match um not that long ago uh went and shot one at paul clark jr's place like last month and that was one i just showed up i'm like this is a match of low consequence i'm just gonna push push speed and kind of see how it goes and it pleasantly surprised me with some of the takeaways that i came came you know with from that of like oh wow like i was able to do more than what i expected uh were there some you know slight missteps here and there sure but you know it's hard to learn and if you're not actually pushing yourself into new territories i don't know any additional thoughts on that before i maybe move on to something else i.
Jacob Paulsen: Think that that's like i i think that any any of the practical shooting sports or if we want to put rounds down range in an aggressive manner it's always going to be a game of what's good enough like is this sight picture sight movie good enough for the given target difficulty and the attenuation of the gun during recoil like that that's the to me i think that that's for most of the if i talk about this from a perspective of uspsa skill set But, The skill set of C class, you know, skill set shooters and below versus B and above the B and above people are getting in that mode of, I probably don't need super steady sites on this given site picture. Like this wobbly site picture is good enough. Right. Or I'm still a little physically bouncy coming into this shooting position, but I'm going to shoot anyway. Right. So as you were stating, like it, it would be very difficult for a race car driver to feel comfortable driving at 200 miles an hour. If the only time they drive 200 miles an hour is on during race day. Right. So outside of race day, you know, on a track day where they're training or practicing, they need to be doing a lot of 200 mile an hour training, right? They probably need to be doing 250 mile an hour training. You know, you know, what, what are the limits? What is this? When does this become normal? because that's really I think one of the hardest things about you know shooting firearms at a very high skill level is it is a super abnormal skill set that humans are are just not inherently built to do as a normal thing to every day right it not I would sum it up as at least in the practical shooting sports you can be on the self-defense side of it but i need to be Visually patient while very physically aggressive well those two things mixed together are like oil and water because behaviors are usually tied together like it's very easy for someone to be visually aggressive and physically aggressive right or visually passive and physically passive But it is much more difficult to be visually patient, to wait for the desired sight picture or sight movie before we actually send the round, while also pushing our appendages to their physical limit. Right. So yeah. That's the hard part about it.
Riley Bowman: I like how you just explained that. Like oil and water. Patient with the eyes. Aggressive with the hands. And feet. Yeah, that's fascinating.
Jacob Paulsen: I have a thing. I make it a point. I train a lot of people throughout the year. I'm a high-level competitor. I do a lot of my own self-assessment. The thing that I try to make a point to do, and knock on wood, I've successfully done this every year, is take a training class from a different instructor and have the opportunity to be a student, right? And take off the instructor hat and then be that person that can attend the class and try the stuff, pop the wheelies, skin my knees, right? And try to figure out what I need to do, right? To potentially find what is the next level, right? And, or what is the augmented level that I need to be at given my current physicality, right? Like as we get older, like our mobility, our flexibility, our strength, our eyeballs, like our visual processing skills, like all that stuff is always evolving, sometimes in a good direction, sometimes in a bad direction, right? So I think it's, at least for me, it's always been a process of re-evaluating what do I need to do to be able to perform at my maximum skill. And I've had the best of luck of, of taking, you know, collaborating with trainers. That actually like the foundation of their skillset is opposite of mine, meaning their style or their presentation of content is, I don't want to say bad. Like it's just in a different methodology than what I normally convey or what I normally embrace. And I I've, I've done the years of, Oh, this, this trainer has a shooting and a training style is very similar to me. Let me take that training, try to enforce, like build these things together. But I've actually found that I make much more effective discoveries when I take a class from a trainer that has an alternate way of not just performing the skill, but more importantly, conveying the content. Right. A different combination of words to convey the same thing that we're all talking about. Right. Sometimes that just makes things click. right so i think it's important that even though people may have their favorite trainer or the person they feel like oh this i really get it with this person always leave the door open to try you know take training from people you wouldn't think that hey i could learn something different from this person
Riley Bowman: Yeah well i mean and i'm glad you're uh moving the conversation this direction now uh and so let's continue to explore a little bit more the idea of of trainers take taking classes from other trainers uh i'm kind of curious and i've been in class in fact i've been in classes with you uh i think you hosted tim harron at home range several years ago you were in that class i was in that class it was really cool to be and to share that class with you and other other a number of really good shooters in that class as well. And it was fascinating to kind of watch you, ask questions and like you were really getting into the weeds on a couple of things that i mean it was very apparent you know where your mind was at and what you were trying to uh figure out you know in the context of that class at times it was it was it was cool to to you know kind of just at times just be the fly on the wall and like listen to charlie ask questions of tim heron, but who are some of the trainers if you want to throw out some names that you've trained with that you like, maybe even in a surprising fashion, like you learned something from that were like, wow, that was, you know, I'm really glad I took that class.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah. So I've taken a bunch of different classes from a bunch of different trainers like Tim Heron. I've trained with him several different times, either in group classes or even one-on-one training events. Manny Bragg, taken several classes from him. Travis Tomasi, another great trainer. Todd Jarrett, Bob Bogle. It's interesting because when I was newer in the shooting sports, I always thought that there was the way. Here's the way from start to finish, step one through five million. Right. And this instructor is going to have the magical process from step one to whatever. Right. And as the years went by, I really started to learn myself that there's no one way. Right. Because in the end, we're all unique humans. We all have our advantages and our disadvantages and our abilities to absorb content or do the thing that this person does right so like i quickly found that i'm gonna have to find charlie's way to perform the best that i can and that is kind of like the bruce lee methodology of do all the ways right like try all the ways and what take what works and abandon what doesn't Right. And at the end of it, meaning once somebody has built a solid foundation of skill set, That is going to contain a bunch of different varied methodologies to be well-rounded. I think absolutely the people that are very effective, skilled shooters, they've either taken a decent chunk of training from people or they've consumed quite a bit of training content. And whether that's watching other competitors perform their craft on range or attending matches with those competitors and seeing what they're doing on the squad. I think that it's always going to be a what is best for you to build your own style. And to get to the pinnacle of skill set, the student really needs to own that. This needs to be me, if that makes sense. instead of, I want to be like Charlie, right? Or I want to be like Riley. I want to do exactly what Riley does. That's going to get people to a certain level of skill that's usually pretty high level proficiency. But if they want to truly maximize their performance, they need to break out of that mimicry and build their own skill set around their own behaviors and their own strengths. Because we all have our own inherent strengths. And the thing is that we like to do versus the things that we don't like to do, right?
Riley Bowman: Yeah. Yeah, I'm glad that you explained that the way you did. For instance, kind of at the beginning of that commentary, you said something along the lines of, you know, earlier on feeling like or believing that there was the way and, you know, step one to 5 million or whatever, however many steps there are, there's probably 5 million steps. It feels like that sometimes. it's easy to kind of fall into that trap i have fallen into that trap i mean like i'll give you a good example you mentioned you trained with todd jarrett and i mean this is a guy that's that holds multiple multiple national and world championship titles uh he's been competing at a very high level for a long time and still is uh even you know as a basically senior aged competitor right um Um, and so it's easy to be like, well, if I just did exactly what Todd Jarrett does, well then like, I'll be it. I'm just another Todd Jarrett. Like I'll be a national and a world champion too. Right. But it's not that simple. Uh, it doesn't work that way. Like you said, we got to find our way, uh, whatever that is. I, I have had to learn that same lesson myself because I have trained with, A few instructors, you know, especially earlier on in my own career where it's like, yeah, I really respect that guy and he clearly knows his stuff. So I'm just going to go learn what he has to teach and then I'll be awesome, right? And what I've really learned is that the more instructors I've trained with over the years, it's opened me up to additional perspectives, different ways of doing things, different, um, different articulations of language, uh, which that's been huge. Cause there's been times where there's like a difficult to understand concept and you've heard it explained by this instructor, that instructor, this other instructor, and then you take this class with somebody and you're not even expecting it at times. Like you're, they might even know, they may not even be a so-called specialist in whatever that thing is. You know, you're, they're there to primarily learn, I don't know, this is somebody that's really good at teaching movement, let's say, or transitions or whatever. And like, you're there to learn that, but they, they drop a comment sometimes, offhand, not even realizing what, what they're saying. And all of a sudden it clicks these dots of like, oh, you know, this thing about, let's just say it's grip or whatever, you know, uh, and also you're like, oh my goodness, that just, you know, my, my world has shifted because I have heard this. Three, four, five, half dozen times. And now all of a sudden this one thing clicks for me. And so it's really, really wise to expose yourself to multiple different methodologies and techniques and ways of teaching. And the only way that's going to happen is by exposing yourself to multiple different instructors as well. Like you, I've had the opportunity. It's been a little bit lighter in the last couple of years, but at one time I made it my personal goal to take 80 hours of training, uh, in the course of a year. And, um, that was hugely beneficial when I was like, you know, really locked in on that goal. Uh, you know, a couple of years, I even, you know, exceeded that, you know, more like a hundred or so hours of training that, that was hugely beneficial because during that time, you know, and I made sure I took good notes. And so you You start compiling things from notes and you start realizing, you start making these connections from other classes or trainers that, you know, just like as you go through those notes and things that can continue to pay dividends even long after the class is done and over with to have additional aha moments that could be really transformational for a person as a shooter.
Jacob Paulsen: Absolutely. absolutely yeah like the thing that maybe this is a weirdness about me is that it once you once i became an instructor we'll just use that term it's very hard to turn off the instructor observation skills and and so what i found is and it was bad on me the first class or two that i took from another trainer after i was training i'd be interacting in the class and then i would say inappropriately injecting my thoughts or my methodologies around a given skill set or whatnot thinking that i'm enriching the class and i'm not saying it was bad content but i don't want to put that instructor in a mode where i'm derailing their formula of the content presentation right but I since then what I've always done is I when I'm attending a class I have Basically two sides of a page in the notebook one side is charlie's feedback meaning these are the nuggets of goodness that i found about myself and then on the other side of the page i'm writing down the good or bad nuggets that i Got from how the content was conveyed by the instructor right and i i try to do my justice to the instructor and say after the class in a private format like hey here's what i see and what was effective and what i think could have been a little bit better and how you presented the content and that has always been very well received by the instructors i've taken classes from and that's the one thing that's the one consistent thing that i've noticed from trainers effective trainers is that they're always open minded they're always open minded to finding a better more effective way of honing their craft right so i think that that and that's kind of at least to me goes hand in hand with the shooting community like we're all here even though we could be fighting like cats and dogs on a match we want to beat each other but we're also the first people like oh dude you ran out of ammo here's some ammo or here's a gun or right i see you walking by that target dude don't forget to shoot that target you know that kind of stuff like we're our best cheerleaders even though we're our hardest fought enemies on the range if that makes sense and i think that that sportsman mentality Transitions into the training environment as well. So that's one of the things that I really like about the shooting sports is that, you know, for the most part, it's, it's very genuine people that have each other's best interest in mind. And if we go into any kind of thing that we're doing on the range, whether we're, we're doing a training for somebody or we're getting trained from somebody, if we have that mindset, we're going to be in a receptive mindset, if that makes sense.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. Well, so opening that up in a broader sense, I think this kind of cuts at the core of what this is all about, I think, for all of us, regardless of instructor, trainer, or someone that doesn't even remotely think of themselves as, like not even in the smallest sense, they're like, no way, I'm not a teacher. I'm not a trainer. I don't, you know, I'm just a shooter. I just do the thing. Um, and that is having a insatiable desire to learn. Like if, if you care about getting better, um, which I mean, you're here, if you're listening to the podcast, I'd like to think that's because you, you care enough to learn something to make yourself better in some way. Um, if that's the case, then make it your habit, make it your lifelong pursuit. And not even just in shooting. I think just even, we could think real big picture here. If you want to enhance your life in any way at all, then just have a insatiable desire to learn where you are just always interested in what can I learn from this? What can I learn from that? This source, that source, this topic, that topic. You know and that's. Which, you know, coincidentally, I just taught this last weekend, we did kind of an introduction to competition shooting course at the Guardian Conference. And I've taught that almost every year. I think it's a wonderful way to get people kind of get their feet wet because, you know, usually they haven't dived into competitive shooting because a lot of times they don't know where to get started. They don't know what they don't know. Maybe there's some anxiety there, whatever it is. And so it's a super laid back, low commitment way of like, hey, here's here's an introduction to competitive shooting and you're going to shoot your first stage like ever, you know, and it's going to be a lot of fun. And I but I titled that course this year, the best thing you could do for your shooting skill or something to that effect. And if it wasn't obvious to the students that attended, I explained it later on in the class. Like the reason I called it that is because when you start doing this and you start having fun and you want to have more fun. And even if you don't care about being like the best in the world or the best in your state or the best in your community, but you just, but you enjoy it and you want to keep doing it and, and be good at it. It creates this desire to learn more about it. And at least it has for me, and I've seen that in many other shooters over the years, that they can even be quite stagnant. We see this a lot of times with law enforcement officers that get into competitive shooting, Charlie, where they've probably been pretty stagnant as a shooter, as a cop, for a long time. Because, no offense, I mean, I was a reserve cop. Uh i i understand the mentality i understand what goes with the job enough to know that you can very easily achieve a certain skill level in that profession as a shooter, and just kind of maintain that it's it's good enough um and then the box is checked right exactly and then and then for whatever reason maybe it's because their buddy is like hey man come come shoot this match with me or whatever they showed up they show up at their first match ever and they're like yeah i'm like the i'm like the top guy at my local department i mean i pass all my quals with perfect scores i'm even an agency instructor whatever, and they show up in their first match and it's like oh what did i just get into because. Here's a here's a dentist that is like or a real estate agent or whatever you know a janitor at a school it doesn't even like that is just crushing my soul with you know here i thought i was a good shooter and uh i clearly have a lot to learn and and so my point is is then you see some a lot of times if they can stay with it if they don't immediately get turned off from you know the idea of making made to be being made to feel bad about their shooting skill as a as a top cop, then you see them start to grow and progress. And I think a lot of times because they've, they've had this whole world like opened up to them of, wow, there's a lot more to explore here. And all of a sudden, There's more to learn and there's an interest to learn of, oh, hold on. I thought I knew this stuff, but clearly there's, there's more to learn. And, and then you, next thing you know, they're kicking your butts, you know, a couple of years down the road. It's been really cool to, to see. I, I, I just give, you know, one example. I remember meeting Quinn Cunningham years ago and just a cop, you know, function, you know, like kind of being aware of him. And just knowing he was a cop, but then like seeing, you know, how, well, how good he became as a competitive shooter. It's like, okay, that's a, that's really, really cool and really impressive to see. Um, and many, many, many others have done that and not just meaning to make this about cops because it could be for, for anybody. Um, but, uh, yeah. So anyway, some, some thoughts there and i just think having that interest created within yourself to get out there and try new things and learn new things i think is is key for shooters key for instructors key for those that want to do well in their jobs and in their life in general.
Jacob Paulsen: Absolutely i think it's all i think that the whole like going to your first match or two or ten and you know getting a sobering result right like i i think that the thing that's a little bit abnormal to me about it is the when these people attend when anybody attends a match there's not a heckling section and on your squad like there's not like everybody is there if you're safe and you're enjoying yourself everybody is treated the same if that makes any sense so like there's not like a you know Like ostracization of somebody because they can't perform on the range or those kind of things like i think a lot of that um oh i'm not good enough or i just got beat it is really an ego thing with the individual right right so i think that if if we want to learn and we got to pop the wheelies and we got to fall and wreck and scrape our knees we got to really set our ego aside right you're going to leave the ego at the door because if you're only expecting to perform perfectly on everything that you do you're never going to grow your skill set skill set and that's like you said that applies to anything we do in our life not just firearms right so i think that if step one if people can kind of set aside their ego and have an open mind of, let me try this thing. Let's, you know, run it like a rental, see what happens. Right. And try to see at a faster pace, try to run our appendages at a faster pace. Um, if our ego is always in play, we're never going to give ourselves the failure grace to get there.
Riley Bowman: Right. Yep. 100%. Well, we're kind of coming up against the hour mark, which is usually where we try to keep things too so as an opportunity here uh to do so i'm going to ask if you were to summarize in you know three points uh our discussion here tonight and kind of some things you'd like to leave folks with or maybe some final words of parting advice what would that be.
Jacob Paulsen: I think it's as simple as this really teach yourself how to fish right like a lot of people come to classes to be given fish yeah there's a like we all need to be given fish at points in time right in our life right like how do i do this freaking thing i don't know right but the more you can teach yourself how to fish right putting on that instructor hat and figuring out how do i do this process how would i tell somebody else how to do this process That's the path to success, I think.
Riley Bowman: Awesome. Wonderful advice. I appreciate you and for making for making some time for us this evening. And, you know, even in a busy schedule, you just got done running the state championship recently. And of course, you got work and family life and lots of things going on. But you made some time for the podcast tonight. So thank you for your time.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, thanks for having me on, Riley. I really appreciate it.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, I hope, folks, you're able to take something away from this. And, of course, if you'd like to reach out to Charlie and learn more from Charlie Perez, including taking a class, you can go to BigPandaPerformance.com. Highly recommend reading his book, The Path of Focused Effort, which is great. I mean, it really breaks things down in Charlie's framework, the way he views things. And I think it's a really solid framework and is just another one of those perspectives that can really enrich your own personal journeys to mastering shooting. It's readily available and also quite affordable. So, and you do something kind of unique, at least I think you still do this or require this, but with your, like your two day, you know, big panda performance class or whatever it is you call it, you basically make students buy and read the book before you come to your class.
Jacob Paulsen: I mean, that's a requirement. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. And I try as much as having students read that book preceding the class at a minimum puts us on the same vernacular. Right. There's no specific skill set that is like, oh, I don't know. What is what are you talking about? Like you're talking about fuzzy bunnies or whatever. Like it really cuts down on the unknown, like absorbing unknown content from a fruit. Like they may not fully understand the depth of the content, but that's not a foreign piece of content. That makes sense.
Riley Bowman: And in case that, you know, scares anybody away, trust me, it's worth it. It's worth, it's precisely what I did. You know, I took your class, read your book and got a lot from that and got, I mean, and got even more from the class because as you already know, reading the book beforehand and getting the vernacular and just sort of putting myself in your frame of mind and how you view things, teach things, explain things. Then it just set me up for, for having a successful class. And I think you probably can see and probably can tell students that say they read the book and, and, and didn't actually.
Jacob Paulsen: Sure.
Riley Bowman: But those that do that and take a good faith effort in that regard, get a lot out of it. But anyway, lots to be learned from taking training with Charlie. So big panda performance.com. A reminder of our sponsors of tonight's episode were GuardianNation.com and some other links I mentioned earlier were also GuardianConference.com to learn more about next year's conference. You missed this year's, folks, but next year, I mean, every year just keeps getting bigger and better. One of the things that was really reassuring to me and to our team from this year's event was. Was uh i mean we had some people there at the fifth annual guardian conference that had been there all five years we had some that were there for you know their fourth year their third year their second year um there were there were a couple people i talked to that were at the conference for the first year and then this was this year the fifth year was their second time so that you know they basically missed you know three years in between there uh and i remember them making the comment of wow it's like so much better than you know the first year and the first year was great you know it was good i mean but it was the first year and you know we were we were learning uh all kinds of lessons and doing something like that for the first time and even from those that have been there every every year for five years it just so reassuring to hear the comments of it just keeps getting better uh you guys keep working at it and keep making it better, you know and that is something that's important to us putting on that event i know that something is important to charlie to make himself a better instructor it's important to me to make myself better instructor uh that's just something i think that hopefully all of us have a desire to do with life in anything in life is to is just to improve um i think it's i kind of feel like life is not very much worth living charlie if we don't actually try to get better at all the things that we do heck yeah i suspect you feel similarly so you got to.
Jacob Paulsen: Have some kind of enjoyment in life you know
Riley Bowman: Yeah figuring.
Jacob Paulsen: Out things out and having success is one of those things right
Riley Bowman: It does bring joy and satisfaction so anyway great lessons here tonight thanks again for your time charlie and uh hope to do again sometime with you so until next time folks a reminder to train right train often and train safe so you can fight hard fight fast and fight true take care, a reminder that laws vary from place to place and we encourage listeners to seek local legal advice to understand applicable laws concealed carry inc its brands and properties and the concealed carry podcast is not a legal service nor are we attorneys at law we make our best faith effort to share concealed carry related insights and information about firearm related incidents and the laws pertaining based on our own understanding and experience but things can be different where you live or laws may have changed by the time you listen to this. We cannot be held liable for your actions based on the information shared in this podcast. Please exercise care with all things pertaining to firearm use, concealed carry, and always practice following basic firearm safety rules. More information about safety can be found at concealedcarry.com forward slash safety.