Riley Bowman: This is the Concealed Carry Podcast, Season 11, Episode 8. Music: And welcome to the Concealed Carry Podcast, part of the ConcealedCarry.com network, brought to you by HK. Today is Wednesday, what is it, March 12th, 2025.
Jacob Paulsen: Yes, sir.
Riley Bowman: As of recording of this episode, I am your host, Riley Bowman, joined by co-host, Jacob Paulson.
Jacob Paulsen: Yes, and Riley is the guy who failed today to achieve his goal of an eight-minute mile. Riley runs a lot, but you specifically just, I don't know, maybe even out of the blue said, today I'm going to see if I can do a mile in under eight minutes, and you just fell short.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, yeah. There you go. Just fell short.
Jacob Paulsen: Next time.
Riley Bowman: I am not the fastest runner, never have been, but I've been getting a little bit better at it.
Jacob Paulsen: I'm sure I could not run an eight-minute mile today, right now.
Riley Bowman: I would say long-term, I'd love to get to being in the sixes. I don't know. But, I mean, one can hope, right?
Jacob Paulsen: I definitely think it's possible. In my prime, I ran a 432. Do I get any credit for that?
Riley Bowman: Dude, that's insane.
Jacob Paulsen: This is what I did. I was on the track team. I was a runner. 432. 432. I dropped out. I cheated, too. That was a huge elevation drop. I lived at about 6,400 feet and I ran that 432 at about 4,400 feet.
Riley Bowman: So yeah, oxygen was good. Yeah. Yeah, that's a good point. I feel pretty good about doing what I can do at my age at... Basically mile high you know we
Jacob Paulsen: Are just getting older.
Riley Bowman: Well as i guess you just gave me your uh your guy who jacob's the guy who used to run cross country cross
Jacob Paulsen: Country and track it's true i did the run thing.
Riley Bowman: I pretty regularly run a 5k i mean about once a week i usually do a 5k and i mean i know there's some of you out there like ah you know i run you know that's that's rookie numbers or whatever but but i feel pretty good you know putting in a 5k dang near every week and i could do it in about 28 29 minutes it
Jacob Paulsen: Is my goal to do a 5k two or three times a week but it has been many months since i output that i'm kind of rebuilding back.
Riley Bowman: Now yeah yeah right on um welcome to today's episode today we're going to be talking about gear trends, specifically things like red dots, lights, malfunctions, and things that we've noticed in recent classes. Specifically, we're going to share some data from a recent pistol intelligence class that I taught that Jacob assisted and came to as well. Jacob's the one who really actually tracked that stuff. I don't normally have even the brain resources at all to even be thinking as I'm trying to focus on teaching and delivering my curriculum to, hey, what are these students using? I kind of anecdotally have a sense. I see things. I pay attention generally, but not like writing it down and tracking it. So we're going to share some of that from a recent class. And also, I think that'll bring up other things we've noticed over the recent history, the last year or two or whatever, in terms of gear trends, conferences, and other events we've been to that, you know, of course the Guardian Conference, we see a lot of different gear show up at the Guardian Conference each year. So what are some of the lessons and takeaways from, you know, the current, I guess, gear I mean, there's some trends. Maybe there's some, what's the word? There's trend, but there's also like, I'm not gimmick, but you know what I mean? Like fads.
Jacob Paulsen: Fads. Ooh, I like fads.
Riley Bowman: You know, I don't know.
Jacob Paulsen: Trends, fads, and gimmicks. Oh, my.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, right. So we'll talk about some of that and kind of our thoughts and takeaways and kind of where we think the industry is at, where people are at. Today's episode sponsored brought to you by a pistol intelligence course online pistol intelligence course uh that we filmed a couple years ago i should say really we didn't film directly but uh thank you to john correa and his crew at active self-protection filmed a course that i taught in arizona where most of the active self-protection crew was involved so that got filmed and then we did some some further editing to it and things and realized actually at one point there was a section a kind of an important drill that was missed just nature of running out of you know storage on memory cards or whatever when it was originally filmed and so we went to the range and made sure that was filmed so that that that critical drill is included in our version of the pistol intelligence course available at concealedcarry.com forward slash piq course Jacob, you've been through the course, you've observed me teaching it a time or two. Kind of like, what would you tell somebody like, why should they at the very least view and go through the online pistol intelligence course?
Jacob Paulsen: Well, this is not a tactics course. This is a pistol performance course. This is about increasing your ability to manipulate the tool efficiently and effectively. And I think my experience, I guess there's two things that I immediately think about when I think about the PIQ curriculum. The first is kind of a new approach to things that are probably part of most curriculums. Things like grip and curriculums. Is that plural, right? Curricula curricula there you go so so yes pretend i said curricula like a really intelligent person yeah there you go um so things like grip and stance and you know recoil management things that you know looking at things that are part of any pistol performance or even you know traditional defensive pistol curriculum and saying you know what's the more efficient way to think about this and approach this and learn it and teach it but then the second like major thing i think about when I think about PAQ is that it's about vision. It's about seeing things. And kind of unlocking the power to be able to send the shot and know where it's going to go before it leaves the gun. And that's like this foundational thing that has all these ripple effects, all of these kind of byproduct things. Like I think that being able to see that also allows you to be able to shoot faster. It allows you to handle recoil more efficiently. I think it even impacts the way you grip the gun. Because if you're tracking the sights throughout the entire process, it changes for you what's important relative to the consistency of which the gun moves. So anyway, lots of things like that.
Riley Bowman: It's interesting to hear your perspective. And I appreciate you sharing that. I hope that that's also of interest to some of you watching or listening. My big thing is I want people to be able to see better so they can shoot better. I think that that's just really critical that if we can see what's happening between us, target, and gun, then we can shoot better. So, there you go. Check it out, concealedcarry.com forward slash PIQ course to check out and sign up for, I guess, purchase the pistol intelligence course. You can also view it completely as included membership if you're a Guardian Nation member. So, you can also join Guardian Nation if you'd prefer that instead and get full access to our whole video training library at Guardian University. Uh today's class or class episode is also sponsored by ksg armory specifically we're highlighting today the revere holster which is a light bearing holster it's it's well i mean think about it paul revere right what was the famous by
Jacob Paulsen: One land two.
Riley Bowman: By sea right uh famous Paul Revere's ride, midnight ride, right? And so, you know, when we were thinking about names for products of holsters at KSG Armory, it was like, hey, you know, if it's a light bearing holster, we're going to call it the Revere because all the holster names have a tie in somewhere to essentially like, you know, the American Revolution, you know, kind of timeframe. And so, so there you go. That's the Revere holster. if you'd like to, or if you're in need of a light bearing holster that we can't unfortunately currently support all models of guns with all models of lights, but we have many of the most popular ones available, uh, that are light bearing. So, I mean, a really popular one is like the Glock 43X48 with a TLR7 sub or a P365 or P365X macro with a TLR7 sub light. Those are super popular, it seems with the light bearing option. And so those are certainly available as a Revere holster from KSG Armory. Check out ksgarmory.com forward slash Revere, R-E-V-E-R-E, if you... He'd help with spelling Revere. There you go.
Jacob Paulsen: That's how you spell it.
Riley Bowman: So let's jump into today's topic.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah. Yeah. So I think my first disclaimer, I think, that needs to be made is that I documented, and I got this idea from John Correa. We already mentioned him once this episode. But he does this a lot. When he comes back from a class on Facebook, he posts all the guns that he saw on the line in his class. Right. And so I just thought, I'm going to take this a step further. The other organization that does this really well is A Girl and a Gun. So every year, A Girl and a Gun puts out a report after their national conference of all the gear that's used by all the ladies at that event. Right. And theirs is much more detailed. I mean, like what brand of pants they're wearing, you know. I mean, that kind of level of detail.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, you're pro, I pro.
Jacob Paulsen: Oh, the whole thing. So I thought I would try and document some of that at this particular class you had in Spokane. There were basically 19 shooters on the line. You had 18 students plus the host who was jumping in and out off the line at different points. So I – and this is not a negative reflection on anybody. Like no one's in trouble here. Like it's all good. But I think that the first disclaimer I wanted to make is that people don't always bring the same gear to class that they would carry with. So some people do. Some people certainly do say, hey, this is my EDC loadout. This is the gun I carry each day and this is the holster and so this is what I'm going to take to class and use. but there's plenty of things at the class that clearly that was not what they are running on average day.
Riley Bowman: Yeah i mean to that point it is not uncommon i've seen this many times where a student shows up to class and they are showing up with something they've never really trained with before and i understand why some would do that it's like hey there's this opportunity I'm going to expend six, seven, 800 rounds over two days. It's a, it's a class. So it's intended to be a learning opportunity. Well, I mean, you can certainly learn about that new gear choice that you are showing up to the class with. And some do that successfully, but quite often it's unsuccessful for students. And what I mean by that is it ends up being a struggle, you know, kind of the struggle bus of, well, you know, gun's not quite running right, or the ammo is not running right, or I'm having an issue with the optic, or I've never used an optic before at all, and now I'm doing it for the first time ever. And so, and I'm not here to judge anybody for that, because certainly, like, you're welcome to use whatever you want to use. It's America. I even get questions from students, sometimes even just the, you know, days leading up to the class of, you know, well, should I bring more of my competition setup or, or a concealment setup or, you know, a duty gear kind of setup or, you know, whatever. And I'm always like, I, this class is not specific to a certain type. Of gear or shooting style necessarily. It's just, I want to teach you how to shoot better because that benefits. And part of the reason, I mean, I'll be honest, one, I enjoy teaching people how to shoot better and to teach them how to do that from a somewhat of a unique perspective in the way that that curriculum is delivered, but also because it's applicable to no matter who you are. If I taught just purely a tactics oriented course, then the competition folks don't want to show up if i taught a purely competition-oriented class then the tactical folks don't want to show up you know and so you know it's kind of why the class is the way
Jacob Paulsen: It is i think i think too we have to like if you're listening to this and you maybe have a class coming up, there's a con i think there's a common out there's a couple commonalities that i see you know at the guardian conference that classes that i teach that you teach one of those is sort of like the class justifies the purchase i just signed up for this class this justifies me going and buying some new gear. Yeah. So, hey, as long as I'm going to take a new class, I'm going to get a new gun. And I don't think there's anything wrong with that, by the way. I just think that's commonality. Another thing I'll see is the opposite. Like I bought a new gear, so I'm going to go sign up for a class so I can kind of put that gear through it. Yeah. And we see this a lot with optics these days. I've been wanting to switch to an optic, to a red dot, but I wanted to take a class with it. So I signed up for a class, and then I went and got the dot, put it on the pistol, and I'm going to go take that class and work out the kinks with my dot. So my point is there's some really legitimate reasons why people might show up with gear that is completely untested and unproven to them, for them, you know, that they've never used before. We did have, though, there was a student on your line who was running her EDC gun and her EDC holster, a KSG holster, as it were. I think it was a P365, if I'm not mistaken. It was P365XL. So... And she made it very clear. This is what I carry. This is how I carry it. This is what I'm running. And she did that for two days straight through.
Riley Bowman: And did very well with it.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, and she did very well. I'm at a point in my life where I kind of know why I'm doing this. And that's a lot about this too is sort of this purpose-driven thing. And so I do this because I want to be able to shoot bad guys if they try and hurt me and my family. So like last year, I took a three-day 40. I was at S12. I guess I was not a student in that one. But, you know, when I go to trainings like S12 or your PIQ class or whatever thing I might be a student in these days, I show up like this. The only thing I really change is I'll throw a spare mag or two on. And I might, you know, one in a mag pouch and one in a pocket. And that's really it. And that's like, here I am, like, take me as I am. But that's because that's my objective. That's my purpose. We had a lot of guys at the Spokane class, kind of this group of dudes that look like they're all buddies who showed up in their battle rattle. I mean, they were not wearing plate carriers, but, you know, drop leg duty holsters, you know, that looked pretty serious. And so that's not their carry gear, but their objective for that class might have been, hey, I want to optimize my ability to – in fact, these guys were quite keen on your PIQ standards. They know they're going to be tested. They know that there's going to be some results, some data, so they maybe choose gear that optimizes their ability to score well.
Riley Bowman: Sure, which is fine. I simply don't care.
Jacob Paulsen: The point is, as we go through this, it may not be atypical of concealed carry setups. Yeah.
Riley Bowman: So, I mean, I'll just, on this topic where we sort of started this conversation today, I would just, I'll say two things. One, I think that there is something to be said for, this is advice, okay? And some of you watching like maybe i mean some of you or listening when's the last time you took a one day or two day like a pretty involved training course uh maybe never maybe you're newer to all this or you just have never gotten around to it i would encourage you to do that i would encourage you to find a reputable instructor or training program or class and go and do it um and and if that is something you've done before do it again because there's great value to be had i I mean, some of my most significant growth as a shooter came because I went and took some classes with different instructors to see and learn different things and perspectives. And it was super helpful to me and informative to me to come away with different takeaways that I could then implement in my own practice and then see huge gains in my personal growth. So my advice is, the first thing is, I think it is a pretty good idea to show up to a class and. I should say this, if your goal is to learn the most that you can learn from a class or instructor, show up with the gear that you most often train or shoot with.
Jacob Paulsen: That's the most comfortable with. Yep.
Riley Bowman: So that's the key. If you want to get the most out of that class, then do what you do the most of. So not a new gun, not a new holster setup, or a different way, or whatever. If you are looking to test something else and also learn in, you know, along the process. So you want to, uh, like maybe you spend most of your time at the range training with a, you know, battle belt as they call them. Uh, but yet you are carrying concealed most of the time in terms of a practical sense. Okay. Okay. Maybe the class is a good opportunity for you to actually show up and see how you can do, you know, from a concealment draw. using concealment gear with maybe a different gun, a smaller gun, whatever. Or maybe you want to test different equipment and see how it does, sort of like a torture test of sorts over the two days or whatever of a course. That's fine. But the point, but the fact is, is that you are testing or, or discovering or learning something different or in addition to what you're also there to learn in the class. So if you want to maximize learning in the class, then show up with whatever you are most comfortable with. That's the advice.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, well, just this, that it's okay to bring multiple loadouts and change them in the class, whether it's a one-day class or a two-day class. You can say, hey, you know, it's the morning of day one. I'm going to run with this gear, see how I feel about it, and then if it's driving me crazy or I feel like it's limiting my ability to learn, then I'm going to dump that gear and go back to this other thing I'm more comfortable with. Whatever the thing is, it's okay to switch. And we saw that. We saw, I'm thinking, at least one of your students in the Spokane class swapped out guns at least twice.
Riley Bowman: I've had plenty of students over the years that have, you know, done concealment on day one and more of a duty setup or battle belt setup on day two. I actually make a point as an instructor, I'll typically teach day one from concealment and then day two from an open carry setup of some kind. Uh it might be my competition uh rig or it might be like this this class the spokane class i actually used both a sort of a battle belt with a duty holster as well as a competition holster with you know that setup but i did i think most of day one from concealment and then i also make a point to to demonstrate and use different guns as well as iron sight and red dot equipped guns just as the instructor i want to be able to demonstrate things in different ways using different setups different gear part of that is to be able to speak a little bit more to and sort of help others that are in the class that maybe have different setups and other people to kind of like help them see like hey it's cool you know you know you're set up you're still running irons you know as john correa calls it you know amish you know gun amish folks still using iron sights on guns kind of thing that's okay i usually do some demos with iron sights I just try to mix it up so that you can kind of see that no matter the gear that you are using, shooting is still shooting. And that's really kind of a key component of my class. All right. Let's get into some statistics.
Jacob Paulsen: Okay. So we'll start with the guns.
Riley Bowman: Yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: Okay. So I'm going to go through 19 guns here, and I'll just say them out loud. So Shadow Systems, a Shadow Systems, a P365XL, a Glock, a P365, another Glock, an M&P, a Glock, a Glock, another Shadow Systems, Staccato, an M&P, a P320, a Prodigy, an HK, a Glock, a Glock, a Glock, and an HK.
Riley Bowman: I like how you didn't specifically list it was a Glock 19 or 17.
Jacob Paulsen: A Glock be a Glock be a Glock, man. Yeah, some of these have some aftermarket stuff on them too. So we're not, you know, Glock with whatever, slide with, you know, whatever, you know. And we'll get into some dots and lights too. Basically, these Glocks are Glocks are Glocks for me. Okay. 19, 17, 19X, you know, I think those are what we're really seeing. So a lot of, I mean, definitely Glock is winning here. One, two, three, four, five, six, seven out of 19 guns are a Glock in this particular class. Shadow Systems was impressive of its turnout. Three of them.
Riley Bowman: This was probably the most I think I've seen concentration-wise in a class.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, three Shadow Systems was very remarkable to me. Two 365s.
Riley Bowman: That's actually about half. If you think about it, because the Shadow Systems is basically a Glock wannabe.
Jacob Paulsen: So now we have 10 out of 19.
Riley Bowman: Sorry, Shadow Systems. I'm not trying to offend anybody by saying a Glock wannabe.
Jacob Paulsen: I'm all for Glock wannabes.
Riley Bowman: So about half of the guns are essentially Glocks. And then the rest is kind of a mix of...
Jacob Paulsen: Two HKs, two 365s, a P320, a Staccato, a Prodigy, two M&Ps. Yeah. And one of those M&Ps was a duty gun. I mean, that person's got a badge and that's their duty gun.
Riley Bowman: And that was iron-sided, if I recall.
Jacob Paulsen: Yes, that one is iron-sided. Both M&Ps were running irons. And they were both badged people.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, yeah. So they were running, you know, essentially they're, I don't know if it's issued or at least it's department approved gear. So, you know, whether, you know, an optic is even an option for that particular agency or department, I don't even know. I didn't even ask, but that's what they were running. But by and large, so we talked about the gun types or gun brands slash models. How many, though, were running optics versus irons?
Jacob Paulsen: A lot of optics, man. Okay. So let's see. Optics. So you count how many optics. I'm going to name the optics. All right. So i'll also say irons but just skip the iron so irons trijicon romeo hollow sun hollow sun trijicon irons hollow sun hollow sun hollow sun hollow sun irons trijicon hollow sun hollow sun, an unnamed red dot i'm not sure what that one was a hollow sun and a hollow sun and a hollow sun so there are three irons in there yeah.
Riley Bowman: Oh i count i think 15 um optics but i might have been off by
Jacob Paulsen: One yeah so so three or four irons you know then a whole bunch of dots so a ton of stinking dots and clearly all.
Riley Bowman: Of a sudden is
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah a couple of trichcon rmrs and one that i did not identify like probably i looked at it like i couldn't tell so it was kind of an unusual thing for me and then i i just didn't get around to asking that person what it was yeah i'm.
Riley Bowman: Trying to think if i could to remember what that was. I don't know. Yeah. Yeah. Okay.
Jacob Paulsen: It's probably a Holosun. But anyway, so a lot of stinking Holosuns. Holosuns are extraordinarily dominant on these guns by far.
Riley Bowman: Why do you think that is?
Jacob Paulsen: I think that... Certainly, we care about good gear, but Holosun has kind of created its niche in this kind of space between acceptable in terms of cost, but also acceptable in terms of quality. So I think people feel like, hey, if you want the top tier, if you want to go spend the money and get stuff that's a little bit more proven, you could. But if you're looking for a budget-friendly thing that has an acceptable level of quality, Holosun has that brand, has that reputation. I'm running Holosun on my gun right now. Same. I have a Swamp Fox on my other VP9, but I would call it comparable in perceived value to me. So yeah, I think that there's certainly going to be some people out there like, I want the best. I want the thing that the dudes are running in the military or that is battle-tested in combat. And so yeah, you're going to see some Trijicon, you're going to see some aim points, you're going to see some things like that for those people. But by and large, I think that in the consumer group that we're running around with, which is a bunch of just normal joes uh hollow sun has an acceptable level of quality but is more affordable than a lot of that other stuff.
Riley Bowman: Yeah i agree with that uh very uh yeah it's a solid i mean the there's enough data now to suggest that it's pretty reliable of an optic uh i've been running all sense for a number of years now as well they actually have not had any issues with any of my Holosun optics yet. I mean, I'm not saying they couldn't happen, but I haven't had any that have gone down or quit working or anything like that. I swapped out some batteries, but that's about it. So that's pretty impressive, you know, to have a pretty good track record and still be pretty affordably priced, you know?
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, and it's interesting too, because in our industry, we tend to be a little bit more patriotic of a people. And Holosuns are made in China. And despite that, they tend to be more successful than other brands that come out of China. And I think it's mostly because they've done a good job on the quality side.
Riley Bowman: They also have a pretty significant U.S.-based operation. Oh, sure, sure, sure, sure. With U.S. employees.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, when we go to their booth, it's a bunch of Americans that we're talking to. Whereas there are plenty of other Chinese manufactured products where you show up at the booth and you're looking for somebody who speaks English.
Riley Bowman: Yep.
Jacob Paulsen: So, yes, that's a valid point. They have a big U.S. operation. They understand the u.s consumer yeah well.
Riley Bowman: Yeah that's true and actually a lot of their employees take what they do very seriously they're also shooters uh they also take classes uh some of their uh folks over there i know like have spent you know considerable amount of time on the range in classes with instruct with reputable instructors putting holosun gear to the test they have some folks that are competitive shooters as well uh that you know shoot quite a bit and so So, you know, that I think has helped with the growth of that brand and the perception that, yes, it's a Chinese made product. I mean, there's lots of things in our world that are Chinese made. Sure. Of course, we're in a time now, too, where like that's an interesting thing because, you know, tariffs are going up and we'll see, you know, what happens with that. And, of course, China is not necessarily our friend, you know, as far as governments go. So, yeah, that's not meant to be – let's spend that whole episode talking about China and geopolitical issues.
Jacob Paulsen: I might have done that. It might be my fault.
Riley Bowman: But it's the truth.
Jacob Paulsen: It is a Chinese-made product.
Riley Bowman: It's a good product with – it just is.
Jacob Paulsen: Yep, we're doing a good job.
Riley Bowman: I'm going to say it is what it is. Yep. So I look at stuff like that and I go, you know, American manufacturers need to catch up. In many ways, now the products that American companies are making are really good products.
Jacob Paulsen: Sure.
Riley Bowman: But can we do it more efficiently? Can we do it more affordably? Because, I mean, I'll tell you that not a lot of people are going to have, you know, $600 or plus to drop on an optic.
Jacob Paulsen: There's more to this than that, though, Riley. like I, Here's another perspective. I don't think it's just about at what cost can we manufacture and produce the product. I think it's also a question of you look at some of these companies that are American-made products, and they have DOD contracts. Because DOD often, almost everything that DOD buys requires that it not be made in China, that it be made in the U.S. Certainly, if there's an option to buy something that is made in the U.S. So if one of your primary sources of revenue as a company is to sell to the Department of Defense, Department of Justice, law enforcement, et cetera, then your pricing model is going to reflect that because your consumer is not Jacob. Your consumer is LAPD and the Army. And so you price your products based on those opportunities, which you're going to have a higher price point by nature of where the dollars come from. So anyway, my point is simply that it's not just that American manufacturers can't make the product as efficiently and as cost-efficiently, and certainly I'm sure that's a factor, but I think we also have to acknowledge that it's also about business model and that if you're making these products in the U.S., probably it's because you want TOD agreement contracts, and so you're going to go to the market with a higher price point.
Riley Bowman: Sure that's fair i think that they can also probably have both business strat you know strategies as part of a you know potentially i mean you see that with you have toyota and lexus you can have uh i mean there's examples of firearm manufacturers that you know at one point catered more towards military le contracts that would be like glock uh But, you know, in recent years, I feel like this is true, that Glock has tried to shift more towards civilian market a little bit. Still very interested in those, especially LE contracts. SIG would be a great example of a company that has appealed to both military LE contracts as well as civilian, you know, selling directly to the public. And so, and I think that's gone very well for them. Like they have made money hand over fist doing exactly what they've been doing. I think there's companies that have been so focused on government contracts. I think Colt would be a good example, especially on the AR-15 slash M-16, M-4 side of the house. So focused on we're making military and law enforcement carbines and sort of ignore the civilian market, sort of not even really produce anything pistol or handgun wise that the market even really wants. And then at some point you kind of see the shift where it's like oh this isn't really working anymore we're not getting the contracts we once wore and having to shift and go after different market segments so anyway always something that's interesting uh to discuss and different strategies we can pursue i
Jacob Paulsen: Think i think the other you know brand aside is just this acknowledgement that um red dots are here right like.
Riley Bowman: Well yeah and that 14
Jacob Paulsen: Out of 19 guns or 15 out of 19 or whatever it is like.
Riley Bowman: Holy crap i think that's the first big takeaway of the the data like part of the reason of being here doing this episode here today i mean we've said this kind of before but and we we've certainly talked about how we've seen that trend grow and grow and grow over years i mean just even in the conference our guardian conference over you know since the beginning the first year to last year definitely have seen a huge growth in the number of folks that show up in courses that are running optics now on their pistols. This just confirms it even further. It is the dominant thing, especially amongst The more, the people that actually train.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, people are taking classes.
Riley Bowman: That are going to classes that are like, not just casual gun owners.
Jacob Paulsen: Right, they're concerned about their performance.
Riley Bowman: I'm not trying to offend anybody here, but I suspect that there's still a lot of just, you know, Joe blows out there or whatever that are just like, you know, don't care or just are just buying whatever gun.
Jacob Paulsen: Well, it's inconvenient. It's expensive. The dot itself. And then I think your average consumer, if you've been carrying the same gun for the last five, six years, it's probably unlikely to be Red Dot ready to go. So now I've got to get a new gun and or an aftermarket or updated new slide or something, or I've got to get my current slide mailed to allow me to mount the dot. So it's inconvenient and it's expensive.
Riley Bowman: But
Jacob Paulsen: Those who care about their performance about their ability to operate the gun effectively and efficiently are going to move to the dot because it is easier to run the gun better faster awesomer.
Riley Bowman: It just presents aiming information so much more clearly that's really what a red dot does i am pretty agnostic towards which sighting system like is this better than this you can debate that red dots are better or whatever but I think I've proven it to myself and granted okay maybe I'm a little bit better skilled than the average folk you can attest to that or whatever I don't care but You can run an iron sight gun really really well red dot guy and i can run really well but which one is objectively like less brain processing power intensive the red dot you know and so that that probably is the advantage and i think that's what people are discovering but that also comes with trade-offs especially as they are learning the the system you know it's like oh hey well i was i point my gun and with iron sights if it's not quite aligned then i can find the front sight and put it in the rear sight and get things aligned. And with the red dot, it's sometimes not quite as intuitive because you point the gun at the target. It's like, where's the dot? And then you're fishing for it. And of course, like we, we teach ways to hopefully solve that as efficiently as possible. That's certainly important. And it doesn't have to be that complicated either, or even really take all that much time. But it is something to be mindful of. But the fact is, is I remember when people were saying, hey, red dots on pistols is a fad. That is clearly not the case.
Jacob Paulsen: If it was a fad, then ain't no more.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. So red dots are here to stay. Lights. Lights is an interesting thing for this class.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, this one is the one probably that surprised me the most. It's just how many people run in a gun with a weapon on a light. And part of this is, again, kind of part of that overall loadout thing. If you're running a duty holster, so like a duty type rig, then kind of probably, almost certainly, you're going to put a light on it. It's just kind of part of that overall strategy or approach or whatever. Whereas if we had had a bunch of people in IWB holsters, it would have been more interesting to see. But that said, here's what we got. Yeah. Okay. So, all right. No light. No light. No light. Okay, sorry. My notes are a little bit hard to follow. No light. Okay, so I just said there's a bunch of lights. Now I'm having no light. No light. Okay. Here's our first light. A weapon amount of light. I didn't write down the bread. I thought I did. Okay, so one weapon amount of light here. And then here's another weapon amount of light. That's two. Here's three. Here's four. Here's five. five, oh, I did write these down later. Okay, six, seven, eight, nine. So I have nine weapon-mounted lights, and they are as follows. A TLR7, a ModLight PLR350.
Riley Bowman: PL350.
Jacob Paulsen: Oh, a typo, sorry. I just read what I wrote. PL350. A TLR1, another TLR7, another TLR7, another TLR1, another TLR1, an X300, an X-300 and another TLR-1. So one, two, three, four TLR-1s, two X-300s, and then three TLR-7s and the Modlite. So in total, okay, I said nine. I think that's actually 10. Yeah, that's 10 total. So more than half, just barely. You could call it basically half of these shooters are running a weapon-mounted light, and a lot of TLR-1s and TLR-7s, a couple X-300s and a Modlite.
Riley Bowman: Yeah. So this class surprised me. I think part of it is because this class was a little bit unique in that there was sort of like two core groups of attendees that, you know.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, friend group A, friend group B.
Riley Bowman: Self-promoted or, you know, promoted the class within their little group and kind of got a bunch of their little, you know, friends to come and participate in the class. And so there was obviously one group that very much was like, yes, duty holster with a weapon mount of light. And that was pretty much the setup and there were some other exceptions including folks that were running from concealment with a weapon mounted light yeah mostly still r7s yeah right and so um but yeah this was a little bit heavier on the weapon mounted light side that was i would say that is not the typical typical not maybe so much the trend i guess the trend here is that we see a certain percentage of folks including in on the concealment side so like scott here he was commenting on Facebook. He said, there's no WML on my EDC, no weapon mount light on my EDC. There isn't on mine either. I mean, I've carried one on my EDC gun before. I don't think Jacob ever has. Never. But I'm not carrying one right now. I definitely have a decent defensive light in my pocket here, ready for use and I'm familiar with using that and shooting with that. But this class had quite a few folks running WMLs.
Jacob Paulsen: I'll add that outside of this class, though, it is my general perception that the popularity of carrying a concealed gun with a weapon-mounted light is increasing. That it is an upward trend. And I think there's a lot of reasons for that. I think, one, we're seeing more holster options. I think we're also seeing the birth of these smaller, more compact lights in a post-TLR7 era.
Riley Bowman: That is absolutely true.
Jacob Paulsen: Right, where we're no longer restricted to TLR1s and X300 size, massive things mounted to the gun. Now we have these lights that are not really extending the footprint of the gun in terms of width or length beyond the muzzle. I think we're seeing that grow in popularity. I think holster companies also seem to be – it's easier perhaps to find what you're looking for. In the podcast we recorded last week, we also talked about how we're seeing more companies rolling out lights in the Streamlight, TLR7X or A or whatever you want to call it, footprint. So anyway, I do think that there's generally an increased – it is a growing trend.
Riley Bowman: Okay. Yeah, a growing trend, sure. I could get out there.
Jacob Paulsen: Is it now the majority versus the minority? No. Absolutely not. I think we went to the Guardian Conference where we're less likely to see duty rigs and much more likely to see concealment gear and things like that. I think we would not find half the people with a weapon of light. We might find more like 15% to 20%. But I do think that that number is growing. It's increasing.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, yeah. I think you're spot on with the analysis of that technology making it possible to make those things smaller and smaller and still effective is part of the explanation for why that is more of a growing trend. Um and yeah and again from amongst all the like different ksg armory revere holsters that we sell a substantial portion of those are glock 43x or 48s or p365s or p365x macros with um with the tlar7 sub lights on them yes um and so people are are are digging that kind of setup it's sort of And here's the thing, we can debate how useful having a weapon-mounted light on a concealed carry, kind of citizen-oriented personal defense gun is. But I know that some people are just like, hey, it doesn't hurt me to have that. And in a world where I can make the light small enough to be inconsequential and have a decent holster that carries it comfortably, sort of like, why not have it?
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah. It is a why not question. And I think there are some potential why nots for any given individual there. It might be resolvable. Holster selection is certainly a potential why not. But it's like, oh, no, no. For me, for my gun, my light, there's plenty of holsters that I like. Okay, cool. Another potential white knot is it is a bigger footprint to conceal. I mean, it just is. It is more stuff in my pants that I have to be comfortable with. Sure. Now, above the belt line, it doesn't impact it at all, but it can impact my comfort and my ability to conceal it the way I want to. So that's a potential.
Riley Bowman: You know what my counter to that would be is that with concealment holsters, we sometimes talk about, as John Houtman at Philster termed it, the keel principle. Meaning that if we have more length or just more keel below the belt line, meaning more holster and gear below the belt line, helps sometimes balance out the stuff above
Jacob Paulsen: The belt line. But longer and wider are not the same thing. I agree with that.
Riley Bowman: But having carried a full-size P320 with a TLR1 light on it...
Jacob Paulsen: You know you're 6'2", right?
Riley Bowman: I am large, but it concealed exceptionally well.
Jacob Paulsen: All my... It's been a long time that I've been running appendix holsters where the holster is artificially lengthened longer than the barrel is. So right now on me, I have a CC9 and a Lexington, and that holster was made, quote, as long as it can be made. That's how I had our – I don't make them. Because anyone's wondering, I don't know how to make these holsters. I watch these guys make them. But that was the instruction I gave to Sam who made this holster. I said, make it as long as you can make it. So length does not impact really my ability to conceal it. It only helps. But width does impact my ability to conceal it comfortably.
Riley Bowman: Conceal or just to carry it comfortably?
Jacob Paulsen: To carry it comfortably. Yeah, yeah. So yeah, you're correct. It doesn't really have any impact on concealment, but it does impact how comfortable it is below my belt.
Riley Bowman: I think when the holster is designed well, it can actually aid in concealment, but the comfort can become an issue.
Jacob Paulsen: It's a potential why not. That's what I said. It's a potential. So for you, maybe it's no impact. Maybe for you, you're like, no, it's just as comfortable for me as my non-weapon-mounted light, my non-light bearing holster okay cool but it's a potential why not yep and i think a third potential why not is cost sure you know these these lights are not free and having to get additional or different holster is also additional cost so if i got to drop 150 to 250 for the light and then an additional 70 to 80 bucks for another holster that's a potential why not sure so yes i think my point is there are some potential why nots uh but in from a technical perspective yeah It's all upside if I have a light on my gun.
Riley Bowman: Now, here's a question. You may not have necessarily tracked this, but this is more anecdotal. From that Spokane class, a pistol intelligence class recently, those that were running from concealment, how many of them were appendix versus some other concealed carry position?
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, yeah. So I did track IWB versus OWB. So count my IWBs. Here we go. Yep. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. Four, five, six, six. So six IWBs. So you've shrunk in the universe from 19 shooters down to six.
Riley Bowman: I've had classes for sure where most of the attendees were concealment and a few were outside waistband or something. Of those six, how many were appendix versus not?
Jacob Paulsen: So I have to go off memory because I did not write that down.
Riley Bowman: I've got the answer in my head.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, I'm thinking this one for sure was appendix. This one for sure was not appendix. That one I don't remember. And that one was appendix. So I'd say of, how am I going to say six total? Six. So I'd say four for sure were appendix.
Riley Bowman: Were appendix, yeah.
Jacob Paulsen: One for sure was not.
Riley Bowman: There's for sure one of the students I remember very distinctly was drawing from the hip or slightly behind the hip yeah i don't know beyond that for certain the point here is is that the we're talking here today you know trends and kind of like what is today's concealed carrier landscape look like uh most people red dots on their guns most people carrying you know in a civilian context carrying concealed those that are carrying in the appendix carry position by and large um and oh the final thing we didn't touch on almost forgot and i am kind of at a point i'm supposed to be wrapping this up so i can uh go pick up my boys from school but it's
Jacob Paulsen: Only two of our iwb people had a weapon out of life by the way yeah so.
Riley Bowman: One of whom was one of the smallest people
Jacob Paulsen: Yes with the full-size gun and a weapon and a light.
Riley Bowman: That's always fascinating to me Real quick, what problems do we have? Malfunctions of any kind.
Jacob Paulsen: So we had... Several interesting issues with shadow systems in fact all three shadow systems that were in this class had a malfuncton yeah um the first one was definitely an like ammo specific thing swapped out the ammo had no more issues with that gun uh the other two i wrote down shadow systems number two and shadow systems number three both had feed issues but they did not seem to be ammo related you were you looked at them more closely than i did so i'm not sure yeah i can't speak to Completely agree.
Riley Bowman: The one for sure was attributed to the ammo. The ammo was just bad ammo. We witnessed how what would happen is as that round would get picked up and pushed towards the chamber, the round would get pushed back into the case. It would get set back into the case every time. So it was ammo that was manufactured. It was from a large scale manufacturer too. And sometimes just bad batches go out. Just failed to have a good cramp on that so that the bullet wouldn't set back. But, yeah, that's a problem when it just, even on one attempt of chambering around, it gets pushed back. It's a big-time problem. That was definitely ammo-related. But, yeah, I definitely agree that there were some feeding issues. It seemed to be feeding issues with the Shadow Systems guns, just failing to get round into chamber. Not as much like an extraction or rejection issue, but more of a feeding issue. Other malfunctions?
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah, so we had a couple of similar issues with the Prodigy. So the Prodigy was just not returning fully into battery, almost like the recoil spring wasn't strong enough, or just need more oil.
Riley Bowman: Dirty dirty
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah like i've seen that yeah.
Riley Bowman: I see guys that run a 2011 style gun uh they get you know just really kind of dirty gummed up you know you got to be on top of maintenance on those things um i've seen it where those guns the slides will cycle so like i can just watch the slide just go chunk chunk and that's a sign that it's time to to get that thing lubricated or cleaned or something. And that's probably what was going on here with that particular gun.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah. And we don't, it's unclear because he, he basically pulled that gun off the line and came back with a different gun. So we don't know what, what would have been necessary to, to fuse all that. And the last one was a VP nine. It was a mag issue. It was, it was an aftermarket mag.
Riley Bowman: That, well, that was what I believe is that I overstuffed that. So that's a competition magazine that default, I can put 22 rounds in. I think I actually, I think I, I can squeeze 23 rounds in those Macs. I think I stuck 23 rounds in that Mac. And so I know that I think just in the process loading for, you know, between relays, the class, I just overstuffed that Mac. So as soon as it happened, I was like, oh yeah, I overstuffed that Mac. They, they have not given me issues as long as I don't put more than 22 rounds in those particular competition Macs.
Jacob Paulsen: Yeah. So not a gun failure really. No, I didn't. No. It's a user-induced mag failure.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, I know that I shouldn't put – I think part of it is I'm still narrowing down which mags I can get away with it. There are certain mags. So, like, I got – you know, they're labeled. And so, like, I do further testing and be like, yeah, that mag I can put 23 rounds in and it's not too tight to chamber a round. But so, yeah, that was definitely one of the other failures. Anything else?
Jacob Paulsen: That was it on the malfunction side.
Riley Bowman: So what was interesting about this class is that almost every class I see a failure or two of optics. I don't recall any optics failing in this class, which was pretty impressive.
Jacob Paulsen: No, we might have seen a battery get changed here or there, but I don't remember any failures. And just broadly speaking, it's interesting to me. We had, what did I say, nine Glocks on the line. We didn't see any Glock failures. To me, that's unusual. Two MMPs, neither of them failed. Like we had perhaps a higher echelon of consumer who probably was going home, cleaning guns, oiling guns at night before day two. Because I just think on day two, you start to see some failures across the board. And I don't think that there's manufacturers that are immune from that. But we just didn't see them this time.
Riley Bowman: Yeah, I mean, blocks are still very reliable guns.
Jacob Paulsen: Sure, sure, sure.
Riley Bowman: But are they infallible? Like some people would have you believe? No. We've certainly proven that and seen that happen. So the most common failures you see with optics, just for those that care to know, that I see, and I'm speaking broadly of all the classes I've taught and events I've attended and taught at, it is either batteries that die. So people aren't changing their batteries often enough or the optic itself or plate it's mounted to or something to that effect it's a mounting error where it comes loose uh which is almost always a failure to install it properly sure okay following the right procedures to do that and so didn't see that this time so that was really cool to see that's good that's positive that's a big thing make sure your red dots are installed correctly and that you're changing batteries frequently enough whatever schedule you need to be on some optics you can change once a year so I've got to be every six months. I've got to be every three months. Okay. And it doesn't hurt to change it more frequently than, than that. You know, I mean, whatever you can afford battery wise, I buy Duracell batteries on Amazon and like bulk packs that are pretty affordable. And then I just got a bunch and I swapped them out pretty religiously. So if you're doing that, chances are, I just don't see that much in the way of optic failures anymore. It's rare that I've had an optic just die. Like where it just stops working it happens but it is the most common things is usually someone's like my dot stopped working it's like we'll go swap the battery they swap the battery and they're back up and so like that explains like nine out of ten of those types of failures
Jacob Paulsen: Sure i mean i've had a dot fail you've you've seen dots fail it's just like you said it's it's not the common the common issue is battery's dead or you didn't mount this problem yep.
Riley Bowman: Exactly we didn't have those issues this time but that doesn't mean it won't be the issue next time and so hopefully you've got some information today that'll be helpful to you in the future attending maybe your next class or whatever uh so with that we got to start wrapping it up here today's episode again sponsored by the pistol the online pistol intelligence class which you can find at concealedcarry.com forward slash piq course and our other sponsor of today's episode is the ksg armory revere holster available at ksgarmory.com forward slash revere. We'll let people go. Any final words? Nope.
Jacob Paulsen: I think that's it. We appreciate your business. Next time you're shopping for something, check it out at concealedcarry.com.
Riley Bowman: Thanks everybody for watching and listening. Until next time, a reminder to train right, train often, and train safe so you can fight hard, fight fast, and fight true. Music: A reminder that laws vary from place to place, and we encourage listeners to seek local legal advice to understand applicable laws. Concealed Carry, Inc., its brands and properties, and the Concealed Carry podcast is not a legal service, nor are we attorneys at law. We make our best faith effort to share Concealed Carry-related insights and information about firearm-related incidents and the laws pertaining, based on our own understanding and experience. But things can be different where you live, or laws may have changed by the time you listen to this. We cannot be held liable for your actions based on the information shared in this podcast. Please exercise care with all things pertaining to firearm use, concealed carry, and always practice following basic firearm safety rules. More information about safety can be found at concealedcarry.com.