Voiceover: This is the View from Apollo podcast, an ongoing conversation on alternative investing, economics, and the trends shaping up financial markets.
Introductory speaker: In two thousand twenty five's turbulent market environment, one quarter of private credit is enjoying its moment in the sun, asset backed finance. In this episode of The View from Apollo, Brett Lees, Apollo's co head of asset backed finance, explains how this estimated twenty trillion dollar global market works.
Bret Leas: The mortgage on your home, that's a fixed contract that pays something, has credit enhancement, has a tangible asset beneath it. I mean, by creating this and fostering this lending every single day, we help the economy grow and we help people get the access to the credit they need.
Introductory speaker: In a wide ranging conversation, Brett discusses why asset backed finance can be resilient in turbulent times, how new innovations are democratizing access to the space, and the global growth he expects as more markets embrace securitization. So without any further ado, let's get started.
Brad Young: Hello, everybody. Welcome to another episode of The View from Apollo. I'm Brad Young, the head of client content strategy in Apollo's client and product solutions group. I'm guest hosting this month for Torsten Slock, and I know we always like hearing from Torsten. I do too. But I'm really glad to be here for this conversation today. We're gonna talk about the dynamic, fast growing asset backed finance market with the person who's pretty much been writing the book on it here at Apollo. Brett Lees is a partner and Apollo's co head of asset backed finance. And he's been running the firm's asset backed business since two thousand and nine. So a lot to talk about today, and I'm looking forward to it. So thanks for being here, Brett.
Bret Leas: Oh, Brett, thank you for for having me, and I'm excited to talk about asset backed finance.
Brad Young: That's great. A little level setting for listeners. When we talk about asset backed finance, what do
Bret Leas: we mean, and what exactly is it? Sure. So what we mean by asset backed finance is actually in the name. Right? So you have two ways to invest in this world. You can give your money to companies. You can make a loan or a bond, and you're backed by the operations of that company, the full faith and credit that company, and you rise and fall with that company. Well, asset backed finances is the opposite. You're going to invest back by a pool of things, and those pool of things cash flow, and they self amortize as a function of time. And so that distinction is actually very, very meaningful. And you why it's so meaningful and why people should really care about this is because it's the thing that you touch every day. You know it every day. It's what makes our economy it's what our economy goes around on. So for example, you know, you must live in some sort of dwelling. I have a house. You have a house? That house is probably financed with a mortgage?
Brad Young: Yes. It
Bret Leas: is. Okay. Well, that's asset backed finance. The mortgage on your home, that's a fixed contract that pays something, has credit enhancement, has a tangible asset beneath it. That tangible asset can be sold if you default, and there are millions and millions and millions of them. And by creating this and fostering this lending every single day, we help the economy grow, and we help people get the access to the credit they need.
Brad Young: That's great. And it's actually having a a bit of a moment in the sun in twenty twenty five and and been going for a long time. But so why now for ABF?
Bret Leas: Sure. So this has been around for a very, very long time, but you're right. Now it's the hot dot. Right? Like, everybody's talking about it. Asset backed finance, asset backed asset backed finance. And so the the the real reason is is twofold. Right? One is there's this big move among companies, you know, big and small to start shedding assets. They're finding that they run a more balance sheet light model. Right? Their valuation goes up, I e the equity markets are rewarding it. And those could be private equity markets or or public equity markets. And so they need buyers for these receivables they create, but they have to keep creating these things because that's part of their business. That's kinda step one. Step two, the stability of capital that has come with the private debt revolution has made people much better investors thinking long term, thinking about illiquidity premium, thinking about complexity premium. And so capital is finding its way to this market as well where you're matching up people who might be overweight, certain other types of of risk. And then third is there's been significant regulatory change that has occurred, not just at the banks, but also on a global basis where people have a vested interest adding more credit into their economy. And this market, by spreading the risk across a number of investors, is helping that all grow. And so as people spend more money and they buy more things and companies create more things, they need a broad and diffuse way to to finance it. The asset backed market solves that problem.
Brad Young: That's great. And you brought something there that I wanted to touch on a little bit more deeply, the regulatory environment. So as I said at the outset, you started at Apollo in asset backed finance in two thousand nine. I believe it was June of two thousand and nine. Yeah. So the world was a pretty different place in June of two thousand and nine, and a lot of the regulatory environment that we have around this space was actually set around the global financial crisis at that time. So what was it like starting this business in two thousand and nine?
Bret Leas: It was an amazing time to start a business because we had something very special here at Apollo. We had a clean balance sheet. We didn't own legacy issues. We didn't have problems with things that had gone from a hundred cents to to to fifty cents on a dollar. And so what you could do is you could sift through all that was out there, and you could separate fear from fact. You could decide what was good, what was cheap, and you could buy things from people who might be for sellers. At the same time, the regulators were clamping down on the banks. They were clamping down on cheap pools of capital and highly lever pools of capital. And so what you were doing is now you were providing much needed liquidity to the market. Now, unfortunately, you were just coming off a time of very high innovation in the mid two thousands to a time of low innovation. So products got simpler. They got easier to understand. They were delevered. They were cheap. So it was an amazing time to start a business because then as the markets restarted, as people started doing things again, as lending got unstuck and unfroze, right, you now had built in that that infrastructure. You've built in that expertise, and you were ahead of the game.
Brad Young: So now, sixteen years later, did you have any sense that the market would be where it is today or where it's projected to go? Our estimates have it at about a twenty trillion dollar global market. Could you
Bret Leas: have imagined then that we would be where we are today or where we expect to go? No. It's just not a chance. So we knew that the market would come back, and and the reason we knew it would come back is because it's necessary. Right? And and the you know, you'll say, oh, well, Brett, like, why, you know, why are you sure why Why would you think something's necessary? Well, if you close your eyes, right, imagine you go into a Ford dealership and you wanna buy a new car. You're not thinking about how you pay for that car. You're thinking, what's my payment going to be? Well, imagine a world where you walk in and you have to buy that car for cash. Imagine a world where you reach into your wallet and there are no credit cards there. Right? Imagine a world where you go home, you turn on the television, and there's no content to view. Right? Because nobody will finance the royalties that need to be paid for all these people. Nobody will finance production. That's the world we live in without asset backed finance. Now our government, in all of its wisdom, actually realized this during the financial crisis, and they also realized this during COVID. They set up programs to restart this market once it froze. And so they realized that the free flow of credit to consumers, small businesses, big businesses, banks, finance companies, like, is so necessary to what we do as economy that this market needs to exist. The question is just what's the size and scale. And the size and scale have now grown along with our GDP, along with our economy, along with the the the value of all of our assets has grown immeasurably, and it's not going to stop growing. So twenty trillion, I think, happily, is just the start.
Brad Young: So that's a great look back and a great look at the journey to get us to where we are today. But let's shift a little bit to the current landscape. Pretty much nobody roots for chaos in the markets, and you and your team don't certainly. But you're prepared for times like we've seen so far in twenty twenty five. Such a volatile year in the markets. Why is ABF so well suited and well positioned for these kinds of environments like we've seen so far this year?
Bret Leas: Yeah. So it has a couple of features which are great in environments like this. So first, if you're backed by a harder tangible asset and you enter an environment that is inflationary, Right? The value of your assets are going up. The value of your collateral is increasing, which helps protect your land. Right? Costs aren't going up, but the value of your assets go up. The second is these assets are actually contractually paying you something, and they're self amortizing. So I'm not relying upon going back into the market to refinance something. I'm not taking refinancing risk in in the market. I actually know what I'm doing here in terms of of tenure. Third is the assets themselves are generally short. Most of the assets are three to five year assets. So that means, shortening my timeline. And so the amount of time I'm giving for the event to go long is also short. But finally, these are all held in a dumb box. And I say that, you know, not lightly. In other words, it's a rules based system once you own it, self advertising. There's a preset amount of rules for what it can do. It's not like when I give my money to a company and management can go off and do r and d and moonshots and build new corporate headquarters or build rockets or do whatever they're gonna do, which may or may not pan out because they're investing in enterprise value. Right? I know what I own. I know how it behaves. I know what my collateral is. If it doesn't do what we want, we can seize it, sell it, and liquidate it, and that gives us this nice modicum of control in more chaotic environments that actually has more value. Now it's possible that, you know, what we thought may happen could be worse. Right? But we have, in most cases, good credit enhancement. And when you have good credit enhancement, you have a nice amount of cushion too.
Brad Young: And talk a little bit about the role for direct lending and asset backed in the portfolio together because there might be a perception of, like, do I need both? Like, talk a little bit if you could about how they work together in a portfolio. So we tend to think of
Bret Leas: the world sometimes in this either or construct, right, or a zero sum. If I do this, I shouldn't be doing that. But the fact is, right, portfolios work well on the concept of diversification. Right? There is absolutely nothing wrong with private credit when done right. There's absolutely nothing wrong with with asset backed finance when done right. But when we think about investors out there, big and small, they've been moving toward private credit for the better part of a decade. Well, now they're making the same bet over and over and over again. Right? And so you're fairly weight something, but you're completely underweight asset backed finance. So what's happening now is you're taking yourself out of balance. It's like walking through the world with one eye closed. Direct lending market's two trillion dollars, three trillion dollars. Asset back market is twenty trillion and and growing. So why would you ignore such a very, very large market? That's kind of the first piece. And the second piece is it's also diversification of cash flow. Right? You can tell your durations. It's not easily indexed or levered, and so it offers an excess premium yield. And for us in particular, we like to go up in credit into the investment grade space. You can still earn a very healthy return by moving up in credit. So not only you create a balance in your portfolio and asset type and cash flow, but now you're also changing your risk profile some as well.
Brad Young: That's great. And that actually speaks a little bit, I think, to the flexibility and number of options you have as you make investment decisions in the asset backed space. A lot of arrows in the quiver, it seems like, as you're making these decisions. Can you talk a little bit about how those options have changed over the years and how you and your team sort of think about what's available to you and how you activate those different things on behalf of investors.
Bret Leas: We sure can. So when you think about asset backed finance, the keyword is assets. Right? So everything begins and ends with the asset. How well do you know the asset? Do you create the asset for a living? Do you service the asset for a living? Do you work through the asset for a living? Or are you just a financial investor on the sideline? We like to bring ourselves as close to the asset as humanly possible. In fact, the more you can create the risk yourself, the better investor you are all across the world. And so though those arrows that you mentioned then take it where you say, okay. The simplest form of accessing something is to buy a bond. But what if I could do anything? What if I could buy the whole loans? What if I could make the loans myself? What if I could provide a warehouse, an accumulation facility for other people to do? What if I could do a public bond, a private bond? What if I could own the company? What if I could own just the residuals? You can do anything you want, and the form is not the limiter. It's the expertise on the asset. Once you know the asset, you go to the cheapest to deliver way to to access this, and that's the business that we've built. Right? It's finding the risk we like and then going to get it in the cheapest form you can. Very few markets offer that level of flexibility of access point.
Brad Young: With flexibility, though, also has to come discipline. You have to be really disciplined about what opportunities you are taking advantage of. There's a lot you can choose from. So how do you get it to sort of the discipline side of that?
Bret Leas: Yeah. Like, we're professional hunters. Right? We're out there turning over rocks every day. We're at the bizarre kicking tires. All we do, right, all the time is we test and retest and test and retest. And so the way you build discipline, right, is you start by doing what I mentioned earlier is you get yourself close to the asset. You know how it behaves when you create it. You know what customer you're facing. You know how it behaves when things go wrong. You know the legal's ins and out. You know the asset. You actually become the expert, not by reading, but by doing. Right? That's the first step. The second step is you build your own quantitative and structuring tools. And then you use those to test and retest because there's a wealth of data out there. There's decades and decades and decades of data on mortgages and consumer loans and commercial loans alike where you can go back and you can isolate the variables that affect performance, and then you create models, and then you validate those models constantly using new information that you're getting all the time. That makes us smarter investor. Not everybody can do that though because that requires a huge team. It requires centralized resourcing. It it requires a big investment in tech. It requires a very large business to spread all that across. If you're focused narrow, right, you're not gonna be able to build that level of expertise to exactly what you said. And discipline also means that if it's not there, it's okay to let whole asset classes with an asset back lie dormant until it is there. So you're right. It's not always gonna be a good time to buy something. That's okay.
Brad Young: If you look at your time here, a lot of focus has clearly been on the institutional space. We're also now really focused on the wealth space and the individual investor. As you look at asset backed for wealth, how do you think about that, and how has it had to sort of evolve to meet the individual investor?
Bret Leas: So individual investors understand asset backed very, very intuitively because it's it's how you and I started. From when you wake up in the morning till you go to sleep, you're touching it. You're in your car. You're listening to music. You're using your gym membership. Maybe you took an airplane to go on a trip. You stay in the hotel. You know this market, but you don't think about it. Right? It operates that well that you never have to think about it. When you get the moment that, oh my, this thing's there, and I use it every day, you kinda have that Warren Buffett example, that moment where you're like, oh, man. Why don't I invest in what I know? But nobody's ever brought it to me before, and nobody's ever brought it to me where I don't have to make the decision, where they say, I'm gonna do the hard work for you. Right? I'm gonna give you a broad based exposure of this globally. Now that's required some education. Right? That's required some fighting against some narratives out there that exist. But the investor now realizes that this thing's been closed to them, that it wasn't available. Now that it is, they're seizing the moment.
Brad Young: We've talked about asset backed as sort of the next evolution of a private credit. That's out of some language that we use. What innovations do you see coming to the space, particularly for the wealth audience and their ability to access the asset class?
Bret Leas: We see increasing levels of liquidity. Right? So evergreen funds and increasing levels of liquidity make the ability for the wealth investor to vote, you know, with their wallet, but also have their money in the ground quickly. We see different levels of risk return points where, you know, it's very rare, in my opinion, for the wealth investor to go into, like, very, very risky asset back. Right? They're gonna stay on the safer end of the equation. So it's much more like a fixed income instrument. They're gonna get away from really long duration where they're taking a lot of interest rate risk. And so it's tailored to somebody who's really looking for income and diversification. Right? The second is it allows them to then break into a place that was really wholly closed to them. You know? There is very little what I'll call public asset backed out there. The vast, vast majority of this market is private. And in particular for things like whole loans and warehousing, it is completely inaccessible to them. And what we're doing is we're actually democratizing credit here. We're actually opening up. Right? We've democratized it both for the source of credit where we're allowing lending the flow more freely because there's long term homes for risk. But now we're democratizing on the other way where we're allowing you to access those things very, very freely that you know about intuitively. What are some of the harder questions that you get in the market?
Brad Young: You talked about their skepticism. There's always skepticism regardless of the asset class. What are some of the harder questions that you and your team get about the space, and how do you go about trying to answer them?
Bret Leas: Sure. So there's a bunch of questions. They're like, okay. How do I know that this thing actually behaves the way you say it will? Right? How do I know that a pool of ten thousand auto loans isn't perfectly correlated? That if we hit a recession, everybody stops paying their loans and the prices of used cars falls off a cliff. Well, we know because we have millions and millions and millions of data points. We know because the metal and used cars trades very, very freely. We know because we own giant fleet leasing businesses, and we're buying and selling cars at auctions all the time. And we know that even during times of recession when unemployment goes up, right, it's not that everybody becomes unemployed and not every bill doesn't get paid. And so we have a good idea of what the value proposition is. But the reason that we know this is because we've done the work. Right? The reason we know this is because we're in this business. We didn't just come to it yesterday. That's one hard question. The the second hard question is, how do we know that this isn't just a giant pile of fraud? Consumer lending, for example, is fraught with fraud. How do we know that we're aligned with the people creating this? Well, the answer is, right, you start to then create risk sharing with the people that are creating the assets so that they're on the hook for those things which you can't control from a credit perspective. The third is Didn't this blow up the world in two thousand and eight? Right? People ask that question still. Here we are seventeen years later, and people can buy homes and cars, and they feel pretty good about the world. But they're like, what happened? This is scary to me. You know, it's opaque. It's I just don't understand it. Okay. Well, you know what? Let's break it back down the basics, and that's why we keep going back to the whole loan. Right? Let me talk to you about your mortgage. Right? You went through the process. You know that somebody underwrote your income. You know that somebody came out and they appraised your home. You know that somebody looked at your payment history and your prospects, and they really did your credit. You know, you've probably got it from the bank that you bank with. Somebody actually did the real work, and you know the utility you get from that thing. Right? Now multiply that by fifty thousand of those same examples and tell me what we're getting into. And so I think people are actually a lot more into it than we give them credit for. They know when there's a bubble in certain types of lending, but these are all questions we still get. One thing I point everybody to, though, is look at the difference in the experience of Europe versus the US as a consumer. Europe has shunned this asset class since two thousand eight. Europe has an almost fifty trillion dollar bank balance sheet. Their economy has sputtered. Their insurance companies have fewer investment options, and the flow of credit is not nearly the same as it is here. Now look at the US, growing rapidly. The banking system is delevered at the mid twenty trillions. It has a asset backed market that is massive, and people can get the credit they need for the things they want. And we actually have a very healthy financial and credit system. This doesn't say Europe's bad and the US is good. It's to say that this market existing has created differential outcomes in the way countries grow and run and the way people access the things they need.
Brad Young: Does that make Europe a bit of an opportunity then too if the worm terms a little bit there in terms of the outlook for this?
Bret Leas: It makes it a giant opportunity. And in fact, it's starting to happen. Right? Draghi's on the tape saying we need to make changes. The ECB is starting to promulgate new rules to make securitization more accessible. This allows for more cross border lending. This allows for more competition. This allows for lower prices and lower credit spreads, and that's exactly where they felt the need to go. And we're not seeing it only in Europe. We're seeing in the Middle East. We're seeing in Asia. Anywhere where people are having a highly mobile, burgeoning population that is well employed, we're starting to see asset backed markets grow up because you simply can't put all this risk on the bank's balance sheet. It needs to be spread in the economy to stable long term holders.
Brad Young: What else about the space beyond what you just articulated globally excites you? What what what gets you out of bed in the morning these days?
Bret Leas: Oh my. Well, it's nice to actually have our day in the sun. I'm not gonna lie. I've been doing this for twenty five years. And, you know, for a bunch of those, people are like, you do asset backed? Seriously? Like, what's that? But it is nice to have your day and some but the real thing that excites me is the level of variety and innovation that we get to access every day. And it takes us to places that we never thought we would be, and therefore, we're learning things. So for example, we have a big business financing music royalties for a second. I, you know, I don't know about you. I enjoy music. Okay. Well, now you really get to learn the business. You get to, you know, you get to help finance artists and songwriters and help them monetize their life's work and their life dream. We we finance the media contracts for many European football clubs. We do player transfers. We do these really interesting things all day every day, and they allow you to learn these businesses, which have these giant holes in funding, which are not easy to finance. That really keeps me going because I know that the technology can be applied far and wide. We can apply the technology far and wide. We come back to what you said. Do you have the discipline to come into it? And for the last piece of it, I'm sure you've spoken about it with other folks. Right? The digital economy is hot. Digital infrastructure, chips, content, media, you know, all of it. Well, that's coming to asset backed as well because most of these things are under long term lease, under long term rent, under long term contract that makes them tailor made for asset backed financing.
Brad Young: It really is remarkable when you phrase it that way and you put it that way. It really is kind of everything that we touch every single day. That was great, Brett. Great overview of the market, and I certainly appreciate your enthusiasm for it. We always end our show. Torsten always ends our show with a tradition where we give every guest an opportunity to make a personal recommendation. Could be a book you're reading, a movie you've seen. So in other words, what are you into these days when you're not running our ABF business?
Bret Leas: Yeah. So I love history. I I said history in school, I think it has lots and lots to teach us. But most importantly, history is about storytelling. And you start to look at your daily life differently when you read history. So I I recently finished a book, which I highly recommend. It's called The Brothers. And The Brothers is about the Dulles brothers. And the Dulles brothers were Americans in the early part of the twentieth century who simultaneously were secretary of state and ran the CIA, which has never happened since, across multiple presidents. And they had tremendous impact in the wars we fought both overt and covert in many of the institutions we have today in building them and founding them and how our presidents interact with them. So, obviously, Dulles Airport is named after one of them, not named after both of them because their last name is Dulles, not Dulles is. But the brothers would be my top pick.
Brad Young: That's great. That's great. For my recommendation, I'm gonna go with sports. You love history? I like history. I love sports. And August is actually a really good time to be a sports fan for football in both of its forms. So I'm a Penn State grad, and I think they're actually set up to have their best team in many years here in twenty twenty five. They should be preseason top five, and they're gonna be really fun to watch. So my number one recommendation is watch the Nittany Lions this fall. My number two recommendation is football, the soccer version. My sixteen year old daughter has gotten me hooked on watching FC Barcelona. Great club. So much fun to watch. I heard we were talking a little bit about some asset backed work that we do in the soccer space in Europe. Their season is set to start in the next few days. So other recommendation, watch FC Barcelona. You will fall in love with soccer if you don't already. So thanks, Brett. Really appreciate you being here today for the great conversation. We will have you back again soon. The ABF space is only continuing to expand. We'll always be dynamic, so we'll love to keep tabs on it with you. Amazing. Thank you. This podcast was recorded on August seventh twenty twenty five.
Voiceover: Thanks for listening. A quick reminder that you can subscribe to this podcast on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, and Audible, or by visiting apollo academy dot com, our educational website dedicated to alternative investing, where you can also sign up up to have Thorsen's daily spark economic blog delivered directly to your inbox. Once again, thanks for listening. Apollo Global Management Incorporated, together with its subsidiaries, Apollo, makes no representation or warranty expressed or implied with respect to the accuracy, reasonableness, or completeness of any of the statements made during this podcast, including, but not limited to, statements obtained from third parties. Opinions, estimates, and projections constitute the current judgment of the speaker as of the date indicated. They do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of Apollo and are subject to change at any time without notice. Apollo does not have any responsibility to update this podcast to account for such changes. There can be no assurance that any trends discussed during this podcast will continue. Statements made throughout this podcast are not intended to provide and should not be relied upon for accounting, legal, or tax advice and do not constitute an investment recommendation or investment advice. Investors should make an independent investigation of the information discussed during this podcast, including consulting their tax, legal, accounting, or other advisers about such information. Apollo does not act for you and is not responsible for providing you with the protections afforded to its clients. This podcast does not constitute an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy any security, product, or service, including interest in any investment product or fund or account managed or advised by Apollo. Certain statements made throughout this podcast may be forward looking in nature. Due to various risks and uncertainties, actual events or results may differ materially from those reflected or contemplated in such forward looking information. As such, undue reliance should not be placed on such statements. Forward looking statements may be identified by the use of terminology including, but not limited to, nay, will, should, expect, anticipate, target, project, estimate, intend, continue, or believe, or the negatives thereof, or other