Joel Smith: Welcome to another episode of the podcast. This week's guest is none other than Stefan Holm, Olympic gold medalist and one of the most elite high jumpers throughout history. Standing at only 5 feet 11 inches tall or 1.81 meters, Stefan co-owns the height jumped overhead world record with a best of 2.40 meters or 7 feet 10 and a half inches. Since retirement, Stefan has taken on coaching and on today's episode I talk with Stefan about his early life as an athlete, his formative sport and athletic experiences, along with the tree of coaching that led to his own training methods. Stefan also covers his own training methodology, plyometrics, high jump practice, strength training, and much more. This was an awesome show, not just for training ideas, but also an opportunity to look into the formation and practice of one of the best of all time in their given sport discipline. Let's get on to the episode with Stefan Holm. Stefan, thank you for joining me for the show. I've been looking forward to this interview for really a long time, but I was really excited when Henrik could make that connection. So thank you for being here today.
Stefan Holm: Thank you for having me.
Joel Smith: Yes. You know, one of the, there's that video series of you and Donald Thomas, like that, I think a German TV company did and something that's really memorable to me or just stands out for some reason is it's you as a young boy jumping over like a high jump apparatus in the backyard. It looks like just like a hurdle jump. But I'm curious of your background, like growing up, your introduction to the sport of track and field, and what other sports you did. We call it soccer here in the United States or football. What was your athletic experience like as a child that led you into ultimately being a high-level athlete.
Stefan Holm: I really, I mean, my dream was to be a professional soccer player. My father was playing soccer on a low level in Sweden. And I loved football, I still do. But I wasn't very good at it, actually. But already, I mean, growing up, what I did, we tried every single sport. We played tennis, we played ice hockey, we played track and field, we played football, of course. We just played out, tried to do everything. but a friend of mine he was a couple of months older than me he more or less beat me in everything in every single sport but I beat him in high jump, and then when I started the first class in school they usually have the high jump pit outside because they used it in gym class so we started jumping there and I jumped higher than the other classmates and higher than the older kids in school and I realized that yeah maybe I'm a pretty decent high jumper, and then in 1987 a Swedish guy named Patrick Sjöberg he broke the world record and he also won the world championships in Rome and then I had a classmate who was in she was training track and field in a club nearby so I joined her for training and then I was 11 and a half years old and then I I'm still in the sport since then so I mean I I realized quite early the high jump, I could succeed as a high jumper and of course I had high dreams you never know what you're going to lead you to but, quite I mean I won some competitions at a young age when I was 12, 13 years old I was jumping pretty high and people encouraged me to keep on jumping Yeah.
Joel Smith: What Stefan, what sports did your parents do like in terms of, I guess people would look at what you did and think about well your genetics and but it's interesting because I you can't I wouldn't think that you're a person who has these insane genetics for high jump I mean obviously they were good but to what you actually did was incredible but I am curious what your parents did like what was their sporting background and and what kind of family you came from there
Stefan Holm: My father was playing soccer. He was a pretty good goalkeeper on a local level here in Sweden. And he also played ice hockey in his younger age. My mother, no sporting background at all. She says she did some school competitions when she was like 12, 13 years old. Maybe she was quite fast, but never training or doing sports on some sort of level. My sister is pretty much the same. she likes sports, she enjoys to watch it but never really did any sports herself, but if there was sports on TV we were watching especially if there were football games going on but it was a very very natural part of my life and also with all my friends that we did sports in our spare time, so I can't say that as you say I probably don't have that sort of genetics but coming from from my background i still think that i have a body that that could take a lot of pressure take a lot of training and that's also good for genetics yeah.
Joel Smith: There's so many different aspects of trainability like there is like yes like having some fast twitch muscles and outputs but like you said like also how much training can your body take and i because one of the things that I wanted to get into today, and we could jump to it a little bit now, but I'm sure that there was a pretty high volume of plyometric and explosive exercise that you needed to do to get to where you were. And the question is sometimes is, well, could other athletes handle that same amount that you could handle? It's interesting to think about what different athletes can handle in that regard.
Stefan Holm: But I think you can handle a lot, all of you, but I think you have to build it up year by year. I mean, doing these sort of plyometrics that I did at the age of 28, 30, I didn't start there. I mean, I started as a 12-year-old playing around with my friends and I mean, building it up year by year by year. And that's a long-term plan. but yeah you i think you could do a lot of jumping if you really want to but you have to, take it step by step you can't eat the entire elephant in one shoe you have to shoe it in small bits.
Joel Smith: Yeah the the ice hockey i it makes perfect sense being in a northern country and in sweden i it makes me think about there was a podcast guest i have who's the founder of sports Science Lab who grew up in Canada and he credited ice hockey to a lot of his athleticism, but I think he had to do figure skating. So he's like doing like a, like a full like pistol squat on a single leg skating across the whole ice and that kind of thing. But for those of us who maybe are in more Southern countries, I think there's a little bit of an underrated element of, of also being on skates. Cause I guess you think about like the foot and you're on this blade and there's just so many, yeah, different ways that we can train and move the body. So it's interesting to hear of all the different yeah your sporting background before you specialized in high jump there um so yeah
Stefan Holm: But i think as a kid as a kid you should try out all kinds of sport just go to the i mean to a park and have some fun see what you can do.
Joel Smith: Yeah i with your development as well and having fun well one of the things i see in a lot of your training videos with your groups is it It seems like there's a lot of times taken to have fun or not take yourself quite so seriously, which I'm sure is probably a nice like pressure valve release in so many cases. And I wanted I did want to ask you about that. But I one of the things that I've seen a video, it was Simon Hunt who posted it was you were doing like six different types of jumps like you did the straddle jump and scissors and a California roll, which I never heard of. Like a forward somersault over the bar. And tell me a little bit about like that, like that fun or that diversity. Like, is there anything that brought up like the desire to explore all sorts of different types of jumps? Because I hadn't seen in a lot of high jumpers, I don't see that. Like, I don't see that like, hey, let's explore this all these different ways and have fun with the different ways we can jump.
Stefan Holm: Well, I started jumping for fun together with my best friend on his backyard when we were like six or seven years old. And we had to do the scissor kick because we didn't have a mat to land on. We had to land on our feet. So we did a lot of scissor kick from the beginning and also trying out this straddle and trying to find new ways to jump over the bar just for fun. We did that already when we were like six, seven, eight years old. And then when I became a professional high jumper I mean it was still there it was fun to try to pass the bar in different ways and I also think it's important, for two reasons first of all it's important to know the history of your sport it's important to know, how high jump developed over the years how did they jump 30 years ago 50 years ago 100 years ago you could try that out because if they could do 2 meters with the straddle in I mean 1930s You could probably do it now if you really try to. And also, I think it's important to control your body, to find different ways to jump. It's fun, but it's also good training.
Joel Smith: Yeah, I watch some of the... Just watching your technique, and it's just so clean, and technically you're so good. And I think so often, and of course there's so many technical drills and those types of things. But I can't help but think of what technique comes from, yeah, like you said, that exploration as a young child and just how that can also help make that learning easier later on. And is that something that with the jumpers, like if you, I know you work with younger jumpers and like you said, you did that when you were even like six and eight and younger, but even people who are 12, 13, 15 or 16, do you spend a lot of time doing still different types of high jumping for those younger groups?
Stefan Holm: We always do the scissor kick as a warm-up but i think it's a it's a good way to warm up for the fosbury flop because it's the same kind of approach the same kind of take off but it's usually a little lighter on your feet so to say it's not that much pressure uh but i also like to you know trying to get them to play around a little bit yeah but sometimes it's hard because they always want to jump higher and higher and higher and they wouldn't do the fosbury flop but we of course we're working with the short approach and stuff like that and different kind of technical um technical exercises but the thing is for me for me high jump came very very naturally i never had to work very much on my own technique so it's that that makes it hard for me to understand technical issues for other jumpers in a way because for me just relax and let it happen come on how hard how hard could it be so i i have learned a lot over the past 10 years being a coach, because i used to say that people invent new problems because there are things that i have never ever experienced myself but i think that's also good it's a good part of being a coach you get to learn new stuff all the time yeah.
Joel Smith: Yeah they say that is that many of the elite athletes the highest level, they're the ones who, like you said, so often it just comes so naturally to them. And then we'll even see it with commentators on TV who had, who were a high level athlete or high level track athlete, and they're trying to talk about someone's form. And it's clear they actually never had to go through that technical, like, like kind of really getting into it to have to understand it. It came so natural to them. So it's interesting that, well, to hear you say that, And then you also have that awareness that, yes, it just came easy to me. And now you're in the mix of, and it's the same with myself. I was a very, I grew up playing basketball and just trying to do all the different dunks in basketball. And that was my jumping bit, like literacy, I guess you could say, or just always trying to jump up the staircase. I remember when I was like 13 or 14, there was a staircase at my school and I would just get a running start and see how many stairs I could get and always try to push myself to get another stair or try to jump and touch the highest beam on the ceiling. And then there was a few issues initially, but, and I had to just teach myself. I actually didn't really have a coach, but it was always so instinctive for me that when it came time to coach, I'm, I mean, I don't know. It was definitely, it's been a learning process the whole time for sure. Like going from that element myself to actually like having to get into it and then, and then digging into different athletes and what, and yeah, where there's missing links, where you did it and it just came and it just came together. Why does this athlete not get this step and how can I go into that and help them to achieve it?
Stefan Holm: Exactly. I mean, sometimes I wish that I have known 20 years ago what I know today. But on the other hand, maybe I would have complicated things very, very much for myself if I did. But I think it's nice that you're always learning stuff from other people and from other athletes, even from young athletes, I can learn something. And i i have always wondered is can i really learn teach someone how to high jump or can i only learn them or help them to jump higher but i had a young girl from a school a couple of years ago and she she really wanted to high jump and i mean she couldn't she took off with both her feet she was running from the wrong side taking off with the wrong foot and everything but, suddenly we worked it out and in the end she could do high jump with the right foot from the right side and at least i could teach her so that was also good for me to know.
Joel Smith: Yeah i i come to that thought myself especially earlier in my coaching years just with that idea of you improve the physical capacities i know my first coaching job i that was what my i really hung my hat on was hey we're getting stronger we're doing good plyometrics we're getting faster and it's showing up in their jump heights and it's definitely been later in my career that i've appreciated a lot of the more the more technical pieces of it all and i also the more i the more i watch like european approaches to the field events to the jumps and the technical pieces there the more i appreciate it more the older i get just because it's so good uh relative to a lot of the stuff not that there's not great jump coaches over here, but on average, there's just such a, I think there's a generally greater mastery of those things. And I wanted to ask specifically with Sweden, the coaching tree of high jump and track and field in Sweden, you mentioned Patrick Soberg, and that had to be so inspiring as you were young, but there was a trainer, his name was, I'm going to butcher his last name, and I totally apologize to everyone in Sweden who's listening, but it was Vilho Nwassen or something like that. And I remember when I was in my first coaching job at age 25, I was looking at Yannick Tregaro's, like he posted some of his workouts on the internet and I knew he had been inspired by Vilho's work. And I was trying to translate them. The translation was not like it is today where you just get AI, can scan it all. But I was trying to like go through these workouts and try to see what these did. Like, you know, the theme is like strika or whatever. Like, what is that? And going through the exercises and trying to figure them out. So I'm very curious about Uh his like his training concepts or the history of his training concepts and what that general philosophy is like did you train with those concepts i think your dad trained you but were those concepts at play in that training and tell me a little bit about the history of high jump training in sweden and how it impacted your training uh as an athlete
Stefan Holm: Well first of all i think you have to to apologize for the finnish listeners because he's he's from finland. It's a very very finnish name but yeah he came to sweden in the 70s he started coaching a group in guttenberg with patrick and some other young jumpers both long jumpers triple jumpers high jumpers and uh he he also had help from a guy from former jugoslavia named dragan tansic he was coaching Dietmar Mögenburg and Carlo Trernhardt and all these great German jumpers in the 1980s so in in 2004 if leading up to my Olympic title in Athens I was in a training camp in Estepona in southern Spain and there was this guy who came out watching when I was doing my plyometrics and he walked back into the gym and then he came out again watching again and back into the gym and in the end he came up to me and my father and he said oh I think it's it's nice that you do in my old exercises he said and that was dragan tanzic because we had learned all these plyometric stuff from bilio who had learned them from dragan like 20 25 years earlier on but yeah i think bilio was very very good at inventing new exercises making training fun with different sort of plyometrics and a lot of jumping stuff both in high jumping and over the bar both with hurdles and boxers and stuff like that also very much coordination he wasn't as good with. Real strength training with the olympic lifts and so on but he was really really good and having a good eye for for jumping and who could be a good jumper and what do they need to do and as i say he made training fun and we we i learned a lot of uh of the stuff that i still do today as a coach from him. The first time I met him, I was 15. I just won the Swedish Youth Championships indoors. And he invited me and my coach for training in Gothenburg with him. So we went down there for half a year later, maybe we went down, had a training session for three, four hours. And those stuff that we did that day, I'm still doing with my jumpers today because, all right, they're very, very basic, but you need to do them because it's going to make you jump higher. It's as simple as that.
Joel Smith: Yeah, that's so interesting. I like that you mentioned, you know, Tanchit as well, Dragan Tanchik, because it's interesting what you find on YouTube. I don't even know how this popped across my YouTube feed the other day. It only had like a few hundred views, so it was not a popular video, but it was a 1980s, like a 1986 Dragan Tanchik, like two hours of him coaching high jumpers and going through all the plyometrics. Or I'm sure not all of them, but a lot of the plyometrics and a lot of his jumping technique. And I was just thinking to myself, this is so good. Like this is better than the vast majority of what I see today. And I, that's, I mean, I think that probably speaks to it. Like you're still doing and using those methods today. And I, it's interesting how we, it's almost like people, I mean, it's great to be creative, but I feel like so often we've lost some of the spirit of just how good some of that stuff was and it was also pretty simple it just seemed like a lot of like some of the things that i really appreciate that i don't see would just be like you're hopping on one leg and then there's a hurdle you jump over the hurdle and you continue hopping on one leg and there's another hurdle and you just keep you can just keep playing with that and working with that and building it up over time and it's the simplest thing but it's it's i don't know it's just also really and then integrate it but the perhaps even more than that is how we integrated that into the high jump approach so it's not just do plyometrics on the side and then that's that i mean and that's great but he would also have people doing bounding into high jump single leg hopping into high jump and i i just think it was yeah it was really to me that was just such good training and that i that's that was a two-hour video i definitely didn't get that much work done that day because i was just watching it and it was uh yeah i'll have to put it in the show notes of this. But yeah, so you mentioned the strength piece, though. And I do want to go back to the plyometrics. I probably said that too many times so far. I want to go back to this. But the strength piece I did, that was the early question I had for you, because I think I believe you didn't start like getting into strength training seriously from what I've heard until later in your career. And tell me a little bit about how that worked. Because people will talk and coaches will talk about, well, you know, don't strength train until this point and build just general good technique and the elasticity and the speed and then do the strength at this point. Yeah. When did you start really strength training and how did that impact you?
Stefan Holm: Yeah what i mean when i'm talking about strength training that's weightlifting that's like half squat deep snatch cleanse whatever i mean plyometric is also strength training but talking about weightlifting i started when i was 19 almost 20 but i i was kind of strong already before so i i had the feeling that i didn't really need to do it and also will you supported that he said that you don't have to start already you can start later on, but when I started high school when I was 16 we had a coach there who really really wanted us to do weightlifting but I just said I'm not I'm following my own plan and as long as I was jumping highest of the high school kids that was okay they couldn't couldn't argue so much but yeah I, I mean, I still did that for almost 15 years as a professional high jumper. So you don't have to start when you're 12 or 13, I think. But as you say, I think you should get your technique working. There are so many skills that you could work on in the younger age. And then you put on strength, the weightlifting, and then you hopefully get an effect of that when you're like leaving the junior years.
Joel Smith: Yeah yeah your your experience it reminds me a little bit about well kim collins who was ran i think 9.99 in the 100 or something like that at age 40 and he didn't start lifting i think until he was like 33 or 34 it's funny to think about that that's amazing yeah but i think it actually it did i think it was a factor that pushed him from like 10 1 or 10 0 5 or whatever he was at 10.01 to just you know dipping under later but for you did it give you I mean obviously at a that you know that 18 to 20 to 25 you're still going to be on the way up but do you feel like that was something that gave your system a boost from where it was yeah yeah
Stefan Holm: I think so I I jumped to 21 at the age of 19 to 18 the year before to 14 the year before that so I mean i increased a few centimeters each year but then starting lifting in the fall of 1995 when i was 19 one and a half years later i jumped 230 for the first time so i think that i when i get used to it the first six seven months that was rough because i i got muscles that i couldn't control i got so much stronger and slower and just felt heavy and everything but after i mean six seven eight months but i could get control of everything then i really think that it helped me to jump higher and also to get stable on higher heights i could do them more often.
Joel Smith: Yeah i i agree i i my experience was definitely similar uh when i started like really substantially strength training the the consistency got so after that initial period like you said the consistency got a lot better before that you said you obviously were doing a lot of plyometric exercises before that point when you started the olympic lifting and the heavier work were you doing i imagine you're doing like body weight training or or lighter more remedial exercises at that along with the plyometrics up until then
Stefan Holm: Yeah, yeah. I mean, you do this sort of circular training. You do the sit-ups, the push-ups, the whatever you call it in English. You know what I mean?
Joel Smith: Yeah, yeah. That kind of stuff. Yeah. General strength. Yeah.
Stefan Holm: And also bounding, standing five steps, standing 10 steps. Of course, a lot of drills with the hurdles and stuff like that. But yeah. And high jumping. A lot of high jumping. Everything. All the time.
Joel Smith: Yeah yeah for yeah what kind of volumes were you doing throughout your career like like younger years like how often a week versus once you got we're jumping higher and you had more explosive capacity what was the type of volume that you were doing just for actual high jump training
Stefan Holm: I would usually high jumping twice a week during training seasons i mean during the, competitive season i wasn't jump i was probably jumping once a week and then competition so i was twice a week but once in training and when it comes to number of jumps i mean i could probably do 40 or 50 jumps from full approach in.
Joel Smith: Training wow if
Stefan Holm: I really really really wanted to jump a certain height i jumped until i cleared it for good and for bad.
Joel Smith: Yeah yeah there's there's definitely both sides of that without question i i think about that a lot is you know that idea of you know only doing so many jumps that you know you're going to feel good like in a few days like you don't like tony holler says burn the steak like you know but then again there's having driven athletes i think that's something i consider a lot when i have a really driven athlete who will get really irritated when they don't clear that bar on the day there's that that dance if there's
Stefan Holm: A competition in three days coming up then.
Joel Smith: You shouldn't
Stefan Holm: Do 50 jumps in training but if there You're on a competition for two or three weeks. Keep on going then if you really want to.
Joel Smith: Yeah. Yeah. In terms of the plyometric volume of what you did, you mentioned early in the show about just building that up slowly over time. And that's one of those things that I think a lot of people, I know myself, I watched that documentary with yourself and Donald Thomas. And I actually jumped against Donald like 20 years ago, but just when he first started and he had no idea he was sitting over the bar and he still beat me. So that was a good memory.
Stefan Holm: And he's still around.
Joel Smith: Yeah, his longevity is amazing. I'm blown away by that. Yeah, it is. Yeah, I'm absolutely blown away.
Stefan Holm: So am I. I mean, he came out of nowhere in the 2006, 2007 seasons, and I mean, he's still around.
Joel Smith: Yeah. Yeah, it is interesting too. I wonder, sometimes I wonder as well, maybe this is a different conversation, but like how long you can sustain your ability. If you're naturally built to do the event, like like your your body your frame your tendons i part of me versus if you had to train like a madman to get where you were how long can you sustain that and not saying donald doesn't i'm sure he trains hard but i think about like how long we can keep up what we have based on how easy it our our body just lets us do it if that makes sense to you
Stefan Holm: Yeah, I mean, that's an interesting discussion, definitely. For me, I retired at the age of 32, and then I'd been a world-class high jumper doing 230 plus for 12 consecutive seasons. But I was also, I was mentally soaked out. I felt that I'm done. I know that I physically could have been around maybe for one more Olympics, maybe for London 2012, but not on that high level and not in every single competition anymore. So I just felt that I'm done.
Joel Smith: Yeah. Yeah. Um, yeah, it's, it's, I, the, the mental amount, like you said, like taking 40 full approach jumps in practice and being at that high of a level that you achieve for yourself based on what your genetics were and how high you and far you took that. It definitely makes especially with high jump too i feel like compared to where you always have three misses at the end of the day you always you always have a bar you didn't couldn't clear there is something about that i think that versus maybe like throwing the shot put or the discus or other events i do think there's something to it that just there's just so much mental and even Watching you i will actually i'll bring this up before we go on to the plyometric question but i would often see you doing a lot of like facial gestures prior to your jumps, like, you know, things with your tongue. And I was going to ask you if you had like a sports psychologist you were working with, or that was part of the mental piece of it in preparing, or was that just something that you came up with over time? I'm curious what that mental element of your training was. I guess because the more high level elite athletes I either talk to or observe, there is that ritual those rituals before they compete it's it's really substantial i think rafa nadal the tennis player i think he had 16 things he did with his water bottle and all this stuff it's and the more you see it the less you can unsee it so i'm curious what yeah tell me a little bit about all those little rituals before you jumped in all those mental pieces
Stefan Holm: Well first of all yes i worked with a mental coach uh we started working together in the fall of 1999 because i had a little bit of an off season in 1999 i didn't raise my pbe i didn't do very well at the world championships both indoors and outdoors and i felt that i needed something extra i needed something more to boost myself for leading up to sydney olympics so we started working out together in 1999 we're still very good friends he's the godfather of my son so i mean he's still around part of the family more or less, And yes, I had plenty of rituals leading up to competitions. Not the one you see on TV though, that's not rituals, what ticks or I don't know what you call it in English. But I couldn't help doing this stuff. They just came when I was nervous and a bit tensed and throwing my hand over my face. I was turning my wedding ring and doing this stuff with my mouth. I couldn't help doing that. but i didn't need to try to stop them because i knew they're just leave them they're gonna be there but yes i have plenty of rituals i always shaved before every single competition i took a shower i jumped in the same underwear i took on and off my clothes in a certain way between the jumps stuff like that i've always pulled my singlet on on my way out to my starting my approach so yeah I had plenty of rituals but you never saw them on tv.
Joel Smith: Yeah I'm glad you mentioned that because I thought I what I saw you know I was trying to put together based on what you know my the way my brain you know processes it so I'm glad to I've it's so interesting to hear about what you don't see and yeah I had no idea with um with exactly what was going on with those so I appreciate the clarification but it does confirm yeah like to do things at a high level There is so many pieces that behind it and rituals behind it. And that's something I'm trying to become more aware of, even in just how I tend to do things. So much of it.
Stefan Holm: For me, for me, I think it was all about, uh, When you're standing there on these big stadiums, you're seeing the bar over there, you don't want to start thinking about things. You don't want to, oh, did I really turn off my oven back home? Did I pay my bills? Did I take the trash out? I mean, you do all that stuff before you leave home. You know, I've done this now. and the same thing leading up to a competition doing the same stuff over and over and over again because in the end when you're standing there in the olympic final it's like any single training jump i mean you should do the same thing that you have done before so you don't start thinking about things and for me all these rituals led up to that i can be stand here focus entirely on jumping over that bar and not thinking about other different stuff.
Joel Smith: Yeah. With all the mental process that I think about to be the person who jumped the highest over their own head in human history and to be at that level repeatedly over a period of time just the mental process and like you mentioned even the gestures that would come up on your face before the jumps. I mean that is such a feat to do just to think of. I mean even just to jump you know 10 centimeters over your head repeatedly is pretty substantial, let alone almost 60. And to do that over a long period of time, I think that the body and the mind, because they work together, and if not being the same in so many regards, has to do so much to get that to happen. So it's an interesting exercise too, just to even think about that. For those of us high jumpers who have put the bar up that high just for fun and you look at it you're like wow it's there's there's um there's definitely a lot that i think the mind you know then ritual to go through uh yeah a
Stefan Holm: Thing is that i i always thought that if i win the olympics which i did in athens that i could stop doing all these rituals but i couldn't i mean i had to do them because then i had to defend my title as the olympic champion and being world number one so i had to do them even more focused so you could never really.
Joel Smith: Relax yeah yeah it's i i like thinking about just the body it's almost like our conscious what we're thinking consciously is only a small piece of what our whole body is is doing to prepare for something and it's just interesting to think about what your your entire being was doing to to channel it into that ultimate output um i just think and i just think that that side of it the mental side the ritual side i think it's it's the thing that it's not going to go viral on social media you know that those little pieces Everyone wants like the big exercises or the cool exercises or the new extra, whatever the novel, the new ways to put a plyometric together or whatnot, which I enjoy. But, but yeah, that, that side of it, I think is so important. It is so interesting and fascinating to me. So plyometrics though. So I did, this is something I think going back to the, that, that Dr. Minner, I think they talked about just how like your Achilles tendon and your, was so hard to like stretch, like compared to the, to the person off the street. Like your Achilles took, I think according to the documentary, like four times more force to deform and stretch. And so, you know, in addition to the high jumping and just that obsessive nature, Like the plyometrics, I'm sure, and all the things in the, and anyone who's watching this, I'll post the Tanchich video in the show notes, which has so much good stuff. But tell me a little bit about the jumping and the plyometric process that led you to your ability to deflect yourself off the ground. it like a superhuman. I mean, it was, you know, how, how, how does one slowly build up to that over time? Tell me a little bit about that process.
Stefan Holm: Well, whatever everybody sees is these viral clips, me jumping over like 170 hurdles or 150 hurdles or whatever there are. But I mean, I started off on the usual lower hurdles. That's 107, their tops. And I was doing plenty of jumps as a kid and as a youth jumper, as a junior. I didn't buy these high hurdles until I was 24. So before that, I had to jump on these 107s. And in the end of the day that got kind of boring so we found these higher ones and then we could i could start jumping higher and higher but then i had put a very very stable ground with a lot of jumping uh i never in these years i didn't count how many jumps i did in every single training but i did a lot of course and also we come back to genetics i think my father comes from working class. My mother's family, they were farmers from generations back. So I mean, in a way there are genetics, strong genetics as well. But I was surprised in the documentary as well. It's actually a Japanese documentary that did that before the Beijing Olympics. The miracle of the human body. But yeah. But the thing is that my Achilles, they were hurting a lot so i never thought that it was that strong but if i had known that before maybe i wouldn't be so worried to to pull my achilles.
Joel Smith: Yeah i think i i wonder how many high jumpers like to to get that much output out of your achilles it's almost like a razor uh line you walk between you know being feeling healthy if there's so much force going through them there's just that's the thing that your body almost lives and dies by in a way and i've i've been there a lot myself i think i was just thinking about my mind was going to soda mayor the world record holder and just straight height jump and and his mental thing was always interesting i watched the mental thing you know he had a little different process but i know he i think he had to retire because of achilles um issues or pain or something like that it's just that that if you can load that spring so heavily It seems like it's something that is just it's always it's to be extreme on that on such a level. The Achilles is definitely going to have to take its fair share of load for sure. Uh do you so with the home hurdles one of
Stefan Holm: My my younger kids asked one of my younger kids asked me a couple of weeks ago did you ever have pain when you were jumping yeah i mean it was that was constant pain but you have to learn to to to understand what what is an injury and what is just regular pain you have to to find the difference there yeah.
Joel Smith: Yeah i agree and i think that's that's definitely one of the things you you learn over time and and especially as a high level athlete yeah with the home hurdles so that yeah like you said people will see you jumping over those like there was i think they were like 180 or something i mean it was clearly whatever however tall your head was was about how high these hurdles were and you would take three steps and jump off one leg and then land in three steps and so you started you said on the one meter oh sevens um but what um what was the volume like of like that like jumps that weren't high jump so you had high jump but then like like the home hurdle jumps and the plyometrics um you know relative did you do a lot of more like remedial stuff to prepare your tendons or was it just a lot of high jumping or a little about equal amount of both
Stefan Holm: I mean the i had a session when i was jumping over hurdles different kind of exercises around 200 jumps in a session i also did some some bounding 60 meters 24 times 60 and 24 12 left right left right left right and yeah and then six times on your left leg six times on your right leg that was a very very fun morning actually so i did a lot of jumping i did but uh i mean the home hurdles they sort of evolved over time i i mean that's a regular exercise you take it off on your in my case left leg you're landing on your right leg taking three strides so but what i did i i i heightened the hurdles and that was fun it was also for me it was also a form check like two three days before a competition if i can jump this high in training on these hurdles and get the right feeling for it then i know that i'm in good shape so i never really tried to maximize them i did like 170 maybe but i've never really tried to go as high as possible for me it was more about a feeling i want to and that was a is what i tried to to learn these kids that i'm coaching today i mean you're taking off and then you want to stay in the air as long as possible you fulfill your. Your motions and just stay up there and if you stay up there forever it's good, they're going to pull you down again but no one has succeeded yet so it was more about that, I mean trying to to get a nice feeling for flying not jumping as high as possible.
Joel Smith: Weighted vests have been around forever in physical training, but wearable resistance has been upgraded with Lila Exogen wearable resistance training gear. It features micro weights that you strap to the body and it feels like a second skin. The potentiation and the specific strength you get from it is second to none, and so many elite coaches and athletes are making use of this training technology. To check out Exogen, head to lilateam.com. That's lilateam.com, and you can use the code JUSTFLY2025, that's JUSTFLY2025 for 25% off your order. Today's podcast is also sponsored by Hammer Strength. Hammer Strength machines are engineered to work with the natural arcs of movement in the human body. With decades of trust behind their name, Hammer Strength delivers durable and intuitive machines that meet the needs of today's strength and athletic performance training. Yeah, that's interesting how you put it that way, feeling for flying and not jumping as high as possible. It seems to me like flying is a word, and I'm sure, you know, versus English versus Swedish, but like flying is a word that makes it feel kind of effortless and joyful. It's almost like the fun part of why you started doing it versus on the other hand, hey, high jump competition, you got to get over that bar versus you maybe, okay, I just had the feeling of flying And it's just that, and there's not necessarily the output and I have to jump this bar, I have to jump that bar. It seems like, yeah, maybe you need a little bit of both, the output and then just the feeling of jumping and bouncing and flying.
Stefan Holm: I mean, competition is about winning the competition, jumping as high as possible as you can that day. But in training, it was more about finding the rhythm, finding the feeling, finding, as I say, the feeling of flying. That's a nice feeling that you could stay up there forever.
Joel Smith: Yeah. Yeah. The bounding, yeah, 60, but it is interesting to hear. Sometimes you hear about different workouts. It's always like almost like a legendary workout or an extreme workout that somebody did. And of course, like you said, the danger is, oh, well, Stefan Holm did 24 by 60 meter bound, so let's take our 14-year-old jumpers and have them do that or something like that. I killed them. But it is interesting because that sounds like such a massive volume. But I remember, it's funny because I remember this story so clearly. It was my first year. I was 29 or 30 working in my first job at UC Berkeley or Cal. And I was talking with one of the jumpers there. He was a long jumper, about like seven, maybe seven 50, seven 55 guy. And he was struggling with, I was the strength coach there. I wasn't his, his jumps coach or his track coach, but he was telling me when he was in high school, he didn't lift much, but they bounded across the entire soccer field, like several times. Like, and it was almost like every day. And I'm hearing this, I'm like, that's way too much. Or, you know, like, which I mean, it is in a sense. Yes, it is. But he had said, yeah, I was jumping so well doing that. And I guess, I mean, again, I wouldn't have everybody do that volume. But to me, it more kind of spoke that if he believes in it and he can tolerate it and he's an elastic athlete. You know, for that period, it was like, if you kept doing that, it's probably not going to be good. But some athletes can handle that higher level. And yeah, I've heard about, I had heard about in just maybe more in Europe, athletes who get a lot more plyometric contacts, even like low-level contacts for like, not an hour, but there's a lot of those remedial bounces and there's just a lot of volume over time. And, you know, bound is not as intense as a depth jump for sure but no it's um yeah it's just interesting to think about building up to that that volume and and
Stefan Holm: Being the thing is that i started out doing stand standing five steps standing 10 steps and it gets kind of boring in the end i mean you want to do do longer and then after the the indoor season 2000 i ended up in fourth place as a european indoors and i was full of revenge it's half a year i go to the olympics i really want to train hard and being tough so i just said to myself what happens if i do 60 meters bounding how will i feel afterwards i'm doing it 12 times and then we'll see what happens and 12 times was okay and the next week yeah let's try 16 then why not and then i found out that at 24 i did 28 one time but that's 24 that's an okay amount so i'm trying to do the same thing with with my son and with the other jumpers that i'm coaching now they're doing standing five they're doing standing 10 melanie down standing 15 maybe 50 meters 45 50 meters but doing 60 meters i mean that's rough but as you say it's not that tough yeah as uh doing other sort of jumps because you have a flow also in in in that sort of jumping, it's tough on one leg but there is a story about a Bulgarian triple jumper Risto Markov he won the Olympics in Seoul in 1988 and. He says that, I've read this story on the internet, so of course it's true, that he could do single leg jumps over 107 hurdles for 110 meters. And that people came from all of Bulgaria to see his training sessions more or less doing this on the football field. So, why not?
Joel Smith: Yeah, that would be, you know what, if Instagram was around back then, that would be the ultimate. it than everyone would be trying to yeah that
Stefan Holm: Would be great.
Joel Smith: It makes me think sometimes too you hear about that stuff and before there was as much video evidence you you wonder like i don't know it's just interesting like some of these legends or it's like you know i i guess it was a communist uh country it's like that where the russians said that they were doing depth jumps off like three meter platforms to the americans to trick them or something but i'm sure that guy remember that guy, he had that really unique arm action and triple jump, like spinning around. I think, you know, people are like, oh, should we copy it? Should we not copy it? It's funny to hear that name associated with that type of thing. But I do think it is interesting, you know, to at least if you're a jumping athlete, it does make sense that at some point, once you're prepared for it, to start testing the limits of some of these rhythm plyos, I guess you could say, not just Like, I mean, I'm sure depth jumps, you know, I would be curious, like what, like depth jumps and hurdle hops. I saw you do a lot of hurdle hops. Did you do a lot of depth jumping exercises where you drop from the platform and jump over? I didn't see, I haven't seen as much of that on video. I've just seen more of the hurdle hopping type activities for you.
Stefan Holm: I did some drop jumps from like 60 centimeters. I also had one of my favorite exercises that I had boxes that was 115 and 120. So I had hurdle, box, hurdle, box, and hurdle. The hurdles maybe 130, jumping on two feet, of course. But that was also a thing that I did two, three days before a competition, just to get some things starting in my legs, so to say. But i wasn't jumping from that high heights yeah i was talking to a former triple jumper he he's got a son that's a few years younger than melvin but this guy he's almost 10 years older than me so he was part of this era when you should do these jumps from from a handball goal or from three meters down and i mean they kill them they kill the knees yeah yeah.
Joel Smith: It's the definitely how high you can get up for high jump or for those depth jumps. There's that, I don't know if you've seen that Japanese high jumper who dropped off like a, almost a two meter box. I think it was one 80 and he did a depth jump. He did a little bounce out of it. I was pretty amazed. I think it was a guy who was like a two 30 high jumper or something like that. Those guys are really light too. I wonder if they can tolerate it a little bit better, but I don't think, I don't see that done often by most, maybe the, maybe Kristo Markov was doing that too. I don't know.
Stefan Holm: Yeah, but I can't see the use of it either. I mean, what's the point of jumping from that sort of height down in the ground? Yeah. But there's a story about this Swedish hammer thrower in the 80s. He was said to jump from the rim of a handball goal, that's two meters, with the weights on his back. And then he got to the doctor because his knees hurted. And he explained to the doctor what he had done. And the doctor said, it's not the knees that's the problem, it's your head. Because, I mean, that's a crazy exercise to do.
Joel Smith: Yeah. Yeah. That once you get to a certain height and that was, I know when I was younger, I would always think about like trying to get on the higher boxes. I, it's the funny thing is I never pushed, even when I was a coach in my twenties, I didn't, I never had my athletes do what I did. I think I was a little, I, cause I was jumping off of my best high jumping. I was jumping off of maybe like one meter 10, one meter 20 or something like that. Anything be above that would have felt crazy. But I, the highest I had my athletes do is maybe like 70 centimeters or something. It just didn't feel right to make them do that. I don't know. I think it was more experimentation on my own part to say, all right, well, how high can I get this box and have it still feel okay? Anything above a meter 10, I like, this doesn't feel, this really doesn't feel okay anymore. Yeah, the extremes of it are certainly interesting. So, yeah, plyometrics, and I've been getting through a lot of the training here. So, in terms of rhythm was something I wanted to ask you about. And you mentioned with the hurdles and the rhythm and, like, kind of the feeling, you know, the feeling of flying. I think this was, again, I mentioned Simon Hunt because I know he had done a few, like, plyometric pieces with you or gone to some workshops, I think, that you had done. But there was a lot of like rhythm that came out of it and and thoughts even in the weight room. Tell me a little bit about the role of like like rhythm. Do you ever do anything with music and movement or plyometrics or how do you how do you look at the rhythm of like of athletic movement and jumping in the way you approach training?
Stefan Holm: The thing is that i i can't clap rhythmically i mean to music totally done my ex-wife just laughed at me when i was trying she said i was totally wrong but uh doing high jumping and i all i just i like to jump to music as long as it's the right bpm because otherwise you're running too fast or too slow i like to do this sort of little bit sort of rhythm work in the gym with the light weights and stuff like that. But I think it's coming down that you have to control your body. You have to know what you're doing and how you should do stuff. And high jump is a lot about rhythm because you have to do the same thing over and over and over again. You can't try to run that much faster because the bar is a little bit higher now. You can't try to push it even harder. You have to do the same thing. You should do the same thing at 190 as you do on 220. But so yes I think rhythm is important in the in the sense of knowing your body and knowing how to do things and doing the same thing over and over and over again.
Joel Smith: Yeah yeah I would see some different like takeoff exercises that you do with like different like single leg jumps into the jump but looking at your approach it was a little bit where some guys come in they kind of run they got a few bounds it's like you got this little rhythm the bounty rhythm and then run again yours seemed like it was a little more just like like like like a little more simple like a simple structure if that makes sense like a little less of that like the big rhythmic changes if that makes sense i was curious if that you think that might play into it or if you just like that more just straight sprint style or for your body maybe that's just that speed that's how you got it i'm curious with any thoughts on rhythm and your approach in that regards
Stefan Holm: I think I've tried different ways of running over the years, running faster from the beginning, or as you say, doing these higher strides and more relaxed. But I ended up doing the way I did it, with a rolling start to start with, and also trying to accelerate from more or less each stride I did, especially accelerate through the curve of the last three, four strides. And being a pretty short high jumper I know that I have to run fast and then I have to build up that speed because the important thing is how fast you run during takeoff not how fast you run 10 or 15 meters before the bar, it's a thing that you have to accelerate through the curve and you have to reach your highest speed when you plant your takeoff foot in the ground, So for me, I think I just worked it out over the years. This is the way I should do it. I tried to run like Sotomayor. Sotomayor, I couldn't. I tried to run like Patrick Schoenberg. I couldn't do that either. Then I saw a remaining guy named Soren Mattei. And yeah, that was my role model.
Joel Smith: Yeah, he was a little shorter.
Stefan Holm: I tried to jump as Charles Austin as well, but I couldn't do that. Yeah, he was, Soren was short. Charles Austin was short. Hollis Conway was short. But both Hollis and Charles, they were more bouncy in their approach. I love that. I mean, it looks great, but I couldn't jump like that. So I had to run faster from the beginning and through my entire run-up.
Joel Smith: Yeah. Yeah, I just love paying attention. It's almost like someone's signature. Like, you know, your rhythm or your approach, it almost becomes your signature a little bit. And it's, yeah, yeah. Like, yeah, Hollis and Charles were about 1 meter 83 or 85 or something tall. I think, yeah, those guys weren't too tall themselves. so they were
Stefan Holm: So bouncy most of them.
Joel Smith: Yeah yeah it's it's it's so crazy to watch that and just those and back in the the 1990s too and just those guys jumping so high i just yeah i love the little the history piece of it all there with uh with the bounding it got me thinking um you know on the level of training i did you do any other events like substantially especially when you were younger Because I think someone would look at someone who did, okay, you did this in high jump and you reached this super high level and so specialized. But what was your second best, I mean, long jump, I'd imagine second best event or anything else that you like doing?
Stefan Holm: Quiz games is actually my second best sport uh but besides that i would say long jump i did i jumped 718 i could maybe a jump around 750 if i tried for it but i never really competed in long jump then i would say probably high hurdles because i didn't respect the height of the hurdles i could just run i wasn't very fast so but otherwise i i mean i i've been to this uh you mean you know superstar competitions or whatever they're called in tv and everything and i'm i suck.
Joel Smith: I mean i
Stefan Holm: Could i could do high jump and i could do quiz shows but i know no other sport actually i was a lousy soccer player too.
Joel Smith: Quiz quiz shows that's i yeah i had one time i love jeopardy yeah i had um you might you might think this is funny when i was doing the strength and conditioning for men's water polo at cal one day we had like a big kind of we had a big relay race uh with the team and it broke it into four teams and they had to they just had to go throughout the whole gym and do different it was kind of like an obstacle course they had to do different challenges they had to do different like physical challenges but two of the stations were quiz stations and they had to go to a head coach and answer questions about like the history of the program and stuff like that and before they could go to the next before they could go to the next station so that was actually one of the more fun memories i had i don't know if i put any other questions in there i don't think i had like math problems in there or whatever but um yeah it was it was fun that was actually one of the more fun things about that whole thing is you're doing all these physical things but then you had to stop and you had to answer a quiz before you could get to the next next next part of it Uh, you, uh, I saw you had, I did want to ask you, I was going through your social media a little bit and thinking of a few ideas and I saw you had like a, like a master's master's like decathlon or something, but it looked like it was a lot like fun events or something like that. I think you only did one of them. It was like, like different, uh, your training group. It was like a, like usually there's like jumps decathlons a lot of times, like where it's like, all right, you're going to do the, you know, five bounds and 10 bounds and shot put overhead and you get a score. But you had like a lot of different events and everyone had, you know, it went not scoring.
Stefan Holm: Yeah, we did a high jump heptathlon once or twice. I still have the plans up for it. But yeah, trying to do all these sort of high jump techniques and stuff like that, I think it's fun. It's fun for training. So we tried this a couple of years ago with my former group. Most of them have retired now. but we did the heptathlon with standing high jump two strides, straddle, whatever it was and you had three jumps you could choose your height you could height higher or lower it didn't matter but you had only three attempts on each single one of these techniques, but I think it's good for training as we talked on before trying to learn all these sort of techniques is good.
Joel Smith: Yeah yeah athletes always appreciate like those anytime you can make kind of a special thing out of those competitions too i think athletes appreciate that so it lets coaches be creative like maybe that's where a lot of the the creativity is at its best with coming up with these little high jump competitions with the different categories and you know so uh the so with the strength piece i i did want to i wanted to cap off some of the training elements here and with people see you uh i know i've i've seen the videos with you doing the lifting and like olympic lifting and squatting and step-ups and i find it interesting because a lot of high jumpers especially like some of the taller ones you would probably only see them not only but a lot of it would be like half squats or quarter squats and you're taking several like well over a hundred kilos to full depth and so like doing very full range of motion squatting in those activities. What was like some of the balance between the full range squatting and depth work versus like the more partial type activities like less range?
Stefan Holm: Well, for me, I think the deep squat was a very good exercise. I could handle it. Technically, I could do it well strength-wise as well. So I think it was very, very good for building up a good sort of ground strength to work from in the other exercises. So I did, during my ground training part of the year, I did six by six deep squats. I did six by six half squats as well. Five by five when it came to snatch and cleans and stuff like that but i always liked like the deep squats and yeah people questioned it because they said oh you're gonna hurt your knees it's gonna it's not good for you it's gonna hurt your back but since i i could do it very well technically i think i never had a problem with it so i try to do it with most of my athletes today as well. Sophie Skoog who was in Olympic final in Rio 2016, she couldn't do a deep squat very well. But she could do the Bulgarian with one leg instead at the time. But I think it's a good exercise to build a good strength to stand on for the other sort of strength exercises.
Joel Smith: Yeah, that's something that is interesting where people will see different variations and debate different variations. But for you, your ability to reverse reverse forces in that takeoff and deflect yourself was i mean the amount of strength needed for that was um you know incredible and it is interesting because your your legs definitely look like they had a little bit more mass you know then uh then like a maybe a length like you know obviously all high jumpers are light but your legs definitely look like they had a little bit more mass slightly more than a lot of other jumpers and i'm sure that that full range was probably helpful in that regards uh step ups too like so i i think there was you know videos of you doing step ups a pretty standard exercise for single leg jumpers and there's again there's the range in that too you can use a little higher box or you'll see some people on the really low teeny box like doing like 300 kilos or something but did you prefer more of a a fuller range or like a larger range in the step ups versus the the smaller boxes or was that different
Stefan Holm: During the build-up part of the year, I wanted to have 90 degrees more or less in my knee. But then during season, when you put some speed on stuff and light your weights, then I did a stair with 5 centimeters, 25 centimeters, 50 centimeters, and I was sort of three strides up the stair. But that was only like 20, 40 kilos on my back, so that was not very heavy lifting. But I wanted maybe 35 centimeters that gave me 90 degrees in my knee and then I had to push with my hamstrings and with my legs getting stronger. And at the end of the day, I mean, a takeoff in high jump, it's all about reversing the speed to a vertical speed. I mean, that's all what it comes down to in the end.
Joel Smith: Yeah. Maybe with all the plyometric volume you were doing too, I think of this sometimes because the first time a coach told me about, oh, we do step-ups with 200 kilos or more on this low box, I was thinking, well, wouldn't you just do like some single leg hurdle hops instead? Like wouldn't in terms of specificity, if you're talking that sharp leg angle, wouldn't it be just as well to do a plyometric? And then if you're going to do the step-up, maybe use more range. So maybe in some ways, you know, you really contrasted all that very short range of motion plyometrics explosive with things that were just more range in the weight room because you've, you've used, like you said, plyos are strength. You've crushed that strength or done a really, really built up that quarter squat strength through all your plyos in that way. So maybe if you feel like that, it's, it's also, it's just a contrast. Like it's something that's just, you're, you're building just more of the muscle now and you're not worrying about some of the short range stuff like you get in the plyos.
Stefan Holm: I never thought about it that way, but when you say it, it sounds totally great. I think so. But yeah, for me, it was about, I had to get stronger. I have to lift heavier weights in the weight room, and then I have to jump over higher hurdles in the plyometrics, and then I have to do longer in the standing 10 steps, and then in the end, if I do this better, all of it, then I'm going to do higher jumps and high jump.
Joel Smith: Yeah.
Stefan Holm: So as long as I get better physically, then I'm going to jump higher. That's what it's all about.
Joel Smith: Yeah. You mentioned, yeah, for sure, everything is a little piece of building that pyramid of performance or that house. The last question I have for you, Stefan, is you mentioned your son, Melvin. And I'm curious how you mentioned you do a lot of the same plyometrics you did, like that came out of the Tanchik and Viljoo. Have there been any changes that you've made though with training your son like you know in it's like it's almost like it starts all over again in a way is there anything I or maybe in another way of phrasing it what do you do the same and what are you looking at differently in training him
Stefan Holm: Well, I do think that it's better to have quite few exercises and doing them very, very good than having a lot of different exercises and doing them half well. When I started coaching, it was the fall of 2014. I started coaching two girls here in Karlsson and also helping out Henrik, who you know. One of the first things that I told these girls is that if you want a lot of exercises and you know, trying out new things all the time I'm definitely the wrong coach for you because I'm going to give you like four weight lifting exercises I'm going to give you five plyometrics and that's it and then we're going to do this over and over and over again. So yes Melvin is doing a lot of the stuff that I was doing him but i've also invented invented found new exercises for him because we have a different background i mean when i was 11 12 years old i had done all this football and ice skating and cross-country skiing and playing around with my friends climbing trees whatever we did in the 80s and he never did that in the same way 30 years later so he had a totally different background from me and he never played any other sport he did he wanted to to do some high jumping for fun and then when he was 12 years old he started competing and he was jumping very very well, so i had of course to to do different stuff with him than i did myself but, in the end of the day i mean if you get stronger if you can jump higher over higher hurdles doing better in the bounding if you can sprint faster then you're going to jump higher in high jump as well. So. What I've come up to, I've been around this sport for many, many years now. I've talked to a lot of people, coaches, athletes. And I mean, we all do pretty much the same stuff. We do our weightliftings, we do our plyometrics, we do the sprints. And in the end of the day, you have to believe in what you're doing. You have to trust that sort of process. And if you don't do that, it doesn't matter what you're doing. I mean, you could do all the right stuff. But as long as you don't believe it it doesn't matter and you could do a lot of wrong stuff but if you believe that that is right for you that it's going to work out in the end.
Joel Smith: Yeah yeah it is i'm glad you mentioned climbing trees because i i'm always i feel like kids don't climb trees enough uh but i i a hundred percent with with believing in the program i i'm the longer I get in my coaching journey, the more I see that. And, and that is becomes just such a part of my own awareness and field of vision. So it is, that is so interesting that, you know, yeah, with the background and, and we think about those of us who did grow up in the eighties, 1980s or the, the 1990s and how it's different for kids. And even to, I, to think about how it's different for kids in different parts of the world, what are all the activities of, you know scandinavia and versus canada and kids in the united states or kids wherever you are it's interesting to think about those like the things that all those kids did in the 80s and 90s versus what it's become and how how it is different so it's certainly interesting to think about that and what that means for training um the uh but yeah the um i wanted to mention was the oh yeah doing simple things well sorry just closing things down rearranging my thoughts but yeah doing simple better was a phrase that i heard a olympic swim coach mentioned one time for a year uh to his team that was their theme and that's that's really stuck with me so um absolutely love that theme and ideas so um i think it's it's really important to kind of nice thing to close with really like like to in terms of framing lots of means and methods out there but but that that That concept, I think, is also not talked about that often. So is there, I mean,
Stefan Holm: Things that worked out in the eighties are still working out now training wise. I mean, you're still going to get stronger doing half squats. You're still going to jump higher doing those plyometrics. You don't have to complicate things too much.
Joel Smith: Yeah. Yeah. Without question. There's that, that, that core of good training is always there. And every time you just go back and watch an old video of really good training, it reminds you. And I think it's like a standard should be standard practice. you know i i love watching those old training clips it's so good so um stefan you i was gonna ask if if we'll see you on any like quiz is there any quiz championships quiz show championships in sweden coming up that we might see you on or i don't know if there's anything like that over there um you know if that's your your secondary event or or no i
Stefan Holm: I actually i have won the Jeopardy a couple of times, at least Celebrity Jeopardy stuff here in Sweden a couple of times. So hopefully there could be some world championship Celebrity Jeopardy or something. That would be great.
Joel Smith: Well, I'll be looking for that. I hope so. But anyways, it was awesome having this conversation today, Stefan. Thank you for joining me. I'm really glad this conversation could happen. So thank you so much.
Stefan Holm: Thank you very much.