Speaker 0: Hello, and welcome to the Geek News Central podcast. This is Ray speaking. Got a great episode lined up for you folks tonight. Starting out, anthropic, the statement from Daria Amadeh on our discussions with the Department of War. I don't know how much of you been keeping up with this, but this has been a pretty hot topic in the last this the last week. And they've just gone ahead and said, we're not gonna give you full access to you know, un or unrestricted access to our models. There are a couple of things that they're a little uncomfortable with. So they're outlining, mass domestic surveillance, which, fair, I don't think I want that either. And also fully autonomous weapons. Yeah. As these models tend to be, you know, based on, you know, predictive analysis. They're predictive models. Yeah. I don't I don't know. It's a little bit terrifying. What if it predicts that I'm an enemy? You know? So it is quite nice to see them, you know, standing firm. But on the other hand, the government has gone ahead and started placing their sanctions, full backlash mode. They will no longer be using, anthropic models and have just, like, basically banned it. I've been seeing all the news today of all the new administrative bands that they're putting down. So it's a little bit crazy, but if you guys do wanna, like, kinda hear more from the CEO himself, he does do an interview or he did do an interview this morning about nine hours ago with, CBS, and that's up on YouTube. I'll try to link that in the show notes. But, other anthropic news this might as might as well be the anthropic news podcast. Jeez. But no. I'm just kidding. New models out in these last, couple weeks. Opus four point five, SONNET four point six. They can't stop. They're dropping these models, improving them, and this is why everyone's wanting to use them. I think, they just shot up to rank two on the App Store, right after chat GPT and beating out Google Gemini, so I'm not shocked. I'm definitely a big time anthropic supporter. You guys have definitely heard me talk quite a bit about them over the last few months, but just a fantastic, fantastic, team and definitely proud of them for sticking to their guns. But in other news, we, what's been going on? Yeah. I've been having a pretty busy term. Definitely a lot going on with me. Big capstone project that's just been taken over, a lot of new stuff at Blueberry, trying to get, you know, just trying to get stuff out for people and things working. So thanks for any of you that, you know, use Blueberry hosting services or PowerPress. Let me know if you guys have any issues. But,
Speaker 1: yeah,
Speaker 0: been having a pretty rough month so far, so definitely nice to throw another episode in here at the end of the month. It's February twenty eighth, Saturday. We really gotta get something pinned down, but, yeah, it's just been really busy. I got two jobs and trying to finish my degree, so this is definitely something that I have to squeeze time in for. It's important to me. And I I just build up all these articles, and then I don't end up talking about them because I just have to toss them out. They're not really news anymore. But let's move on. I found this chart in the top twenty websites visited in twenty twenty six. Thanks, visual capitalist or Visual Capitalist by, Bruno Venditti. But I'm just looking at the graphic here. And, yeah, Google is still the number one, most visited site, unsurprisingly. For those of you that use Google search, it's inevitable. And then ranked to YouTube, unsurprisingly. But, yeah, Facebook, Instagram, Chad GPT beat out Reddit. Wikipedia is still up there, x, WhatsApp. So, yeah, not shocking. Definitely, seen a new search engine pop up here at rank seventeen, seventeen, DuckDuckGo. So if you guys are using, DuckDuckGo, let me know what your experience is. I generally switched over to using that. A little bit less, AI chaff, so to speak.
Speaker 1: But let's, take
Speaker 0: a second and give a big shout out to our incredible sponsor, GoDaddy. Score exclusive deals and discounts right now at geek news central dot com forward slash GoDaddy. And to all of our listeners, you guys are truly the heartbeat of the show. If you wanna support Geek News Central directly, head over to geek news central dot com forward slash insider and become a GNC insider. That's a that's a little bit of tongue twig, a GNC insider. But, grab yourself a modern podcast app at podcast apps dot com for the full NextGen podcast experience. Of course, you can check out the entire Geek News Central universe at geek news central dot com, where you'll find all our partner shows and tons of great pot content published every single week. Stay in the loop, follow or subscribe in your favorite podcast app, and don't forget to sign up for our newsletter for more behind the scenes updates and insider scoops. You can always reach us directly at geek news at g mail dot com. Now we wanna take a moment to thank GoDaddy, our longtime sponsor for their incredible support of this podcast. They make it possible for us to keep doing what we love and what you enjoy hearing each week. If you're ready to start your own website or even launch a podcast, GoDaddy has you covered. At geek new central dot com forward slash GoDaddy, you'll find special promo codes that make it easy and affordable to get started. Economy hosting, just six ninety nine a month. That's a full year of hosting with a free domain name, professional email, and an SSL certificate. WordPress hosting, only twelve ninety nine a month. And, yeah, I use I use the WordPress stuff like crazy. And, you know, it's also includes that same free domain, email, and SSL certificate. So if you just need a domain name, you don't wanna do the website stuff yet, you can just grab one for eleven ninety nine. And if you're not, like, super tech savvy, GoDaddy's website builder gives you a free thirty day trial on personal business and business plus plans. So you can get online in no time. And they have been doing these these updates. They've they've been going hard, and I I'm telling you, they've been going hard on, the, the website builder. I recently saw a new video, and it it looks great. So definitely check that out if you guys wanna get started on that. It's not as it's not as difficult as you think to get your own site started, especially with a baseline like, WordPress. They have a lot of built in themes too. But we truly thank you for supporting us, and a huge thanks to GoDaddy for believing in independent creators like us here at Geek News Central. Now next up okay. Here's where's my last anthropic, one for the night? Emerge has, this is from Decrypt dot co, by Jason Nelson. Anthropic retires Claude, opus three, then gives it a blog to reflect on its existence. And I stumbled upon the blog a couple days ago, and, yeah, it's kinda interesting, you know, if if any of you use Substack, go ahead and check that out. But they've chosen not to retire this model and has given it a space to somewhat, you know, talk about, quote, unquote, its existence. So, it is interesting to kinda see the responses as well. A lot of haters, a lot of lovers, and surprisingly, a lot of agents. So, for those of you who've been keeping up on the OpenClaw news, I'm pretty sure they just got bought by OpenAI, Chat GPT. So, yeah, that is, that initiative's over, I guess. But to some degree, it still lives on in other open source projects. So I don't know. Not something I've been following, since the purchase. But it is kinda interesting to see the types of things, Opus three is gonna be talking about. And I wonder too in terms of, like like, is someone in the background printing it to make the post, you know, instead of it, like, organically generating them, you know, over time? I don't I don't know, you know, what what is that? So kinda, something to think about. Now I've been talking about the the robots, the freaking robots, that they've been making in China, and we got a new one. We got a new robot. This is from ZME Science by tutor, Terita. China's new one hundred seventy three thousand biometric robot aims to be a warm blooded companion for humans. And, yeah, it you heard that right. It a warm blooded companion for humans. Now it's kinda funny because I have a regular at one of my jobs, and he has been waiting for this moment unironically. So, you know, what's a hundred seventy three k? Right? But it is, pretty insane to kinda see a market for this already opening up. Yeah. And, apparently, it says underneath the soft exterior lies conventional robotics hardware, sensors, cameras, and autonomous navigation systems. So that's insane is all I have to say. You know? This is oh, wow. They even keep the there's a heating element in the skin that keeps them literally warm, so they're not a cold robot. Oh, uncle Jesus. Oh my goodness. How one day, we won't be able to tell the difference. Now, this next article, I thought it was a little bit of a joy. You know, I found found it on Tom's Hardware by Hassam Nasir, and I, yeah, I feel like we get a lot of articles from Hassam here at Tom's. But for those of you who have been using computers for a while, you probably still remember the Windows XP Green Hill. And very funny, but someone actually, like, found that green hill and got a nice, nice picture of it, you know, and posted it on Reddit. And it's it's so funny how something like that is, you know, so reminiscent of something that, you know, we we all have we all remember Windows XP. I don't know. It's it's insane to think now that, like, it's something we can be nostalgic about. And I don't know. I just feel like it's cool to kinda see that popping up and cropping up. On the same note, you know, it's kinda cool to see everyone coming together and just chatting about it. You know? I'm I'm a little, you know, machine tonight. Just dropping them. Okay. This next article I found on AZ Animals by Neil McLaughlin. Really, really cool. Fukushima's radioactive superbores are using a genetic cheat code to take over. So, from the article, apparently, these domestic pigs had escaped Fukushima Farm after the disaster, and they they ended up hybridizing with the wild, like, boars. And, apparently, the the, like, the serve the they could find the DNA of, like, the domesticated, maternal pigs, and they found that these human altered landscapes were able to drive rapid evolutionary changes, which were, complicating rewilding and wildlife management efforts. So, I mean, I don't know if you guys have heard about, like, the radioactive Chernobyl dogs and stuff, But, like, this is along the same lines where they're like a hybrid boar. And and these hybrids wow. Okay. So they're able to rapidly evolve because, you know, they're I don't know. They're actively mixing, you know, a domestic version, which we've changed, through selective breeding with a wild one. And then, you know, they're they're the same how do you put it, like, the or the genus or whatever. Technically, they're different. And when they come back together, they they they create a superior species. So it's kinda interesting. And and this is apparently being driven by the environment and the radioactive environment being that, like I don't know. You get the most. It it it forced them to have, you know, the survivors to have superior genes to survive the radioactive elements rather than, you know, just being normal forest land. So it's kinda cool. That's, it's it's insane to kinda see this, pop up, but, apparently, they're like they're kind of aggressive, and and, you know, it makes it hard for the humans to come back and take control of the land because they're, you know, they're not trying
Speaker 1: to kill the boars.
Speaker 0: So it's kinda interesting, but I love the pictures on this site. I'll definitely post them. Very, very cute. Thank you, Neil McLaughlin, for this one. Alright. The next one is a pretty sweet one from space dot com, by Leonard David. Some of the cracks have penetrated through. Chinese astronauts reveal new details about spacecraft that stranded them in space last year. And I think I don't know if we we covered this on the show, but I think we might have. And, apparently, crew members of China's Shenzhou twenty mission recently detailed their reactions upon finding cracks in their spacecraft's viewport during the nation's first spaceflight emergency.
Speaker 1: Wow. That's horrifying.
Speaker 0: Yeah. So they were conducting final checks, and then they realized that probably space debris had struck the window, and there were cracks on their return capsule. And they had to quickly choose an alternative return capsule to return it. That's awful. Imagine if they hadn't noticed that. Apparently, the, their first reaction was thinking that a small leaf had been stuck outside, but then he was like, that's impossible. We're in space. There can't be a leaf here. So, but, apparently, they weren't too worried knowing that there were several layers of, like, pressure bearings, and the outer window is just really a really a review port. It's just a protective layer already. So they just decided to switch over to a different return craft. So good on them to have a backup, but it's kinda interesting and kinda terrifying at the same time. Oh, goodness. All the comments saying made in China, designed in China.
Speaker 1: Oh,
Speaker 0: this one, maybe not such a brilliant idea now that we've talked about space debris, but Japan, Japanese teams want to launch the first wooden satellite. It could save the planet from space debris. So it's a environmentally conscious solution to space debris. That's pretty much it. This is written by Melissa I. Lunas on, daily galaxy dot com. And for those of you who are familiar with Japanese woodwork, it tends to be quite brilliant. So I'm sure that this is gonna be a nice, and detailed solution. And the box the box looks kind of, you know, nice. And it's not that it's a hundred percent wood. It looks like it still has, like, metal framing. But they're using, magnolia magnolia wood panels assembled assembled, with a Japanese wood joinery method. So and their particular aim is to try to reduce the amount of aluminum particles that are being built up around the planet. So it's, yeah, just general pollution, I guess. So when satellites reenter Earth's atmosphere, they burn up and release these particles, which can remain in the upper atmosphere for years. So the wood design is actually kind of brilliant in that it's a biodegradable solution. So, yeah, I would check this out. It's kinda cool to think about, not you know, you when you think of things like satellites and machinery, you you know, you know, or or technical devices, I don't think, wood, like, wood crafts come to mind or even carpentry. It tends to be metalworking, you know, motors, bearings, you know. So I I I think this is a really, really fresh take, and I don't know. I don't have any hate for it. It's a brilliant idea. Final article for you folks today from a new scientist. Oh, man. I guess I've been on the site too long. Okay. They don't they won't let me see it anymore. But okay. Human brain cells on a chip learn to play Doom in a week. So let me see if I can I can, load this on a different browser?
Speaker 1: Yeah. Let's go.
Speaker 0: Alright. So for those of you who are familiar with, like, I don't know, like, video games and stuff, and a lot of computer scientists generally talk about doom as a standard. So and I can't particularly remember why. I said I never really took to this idea, but it you know, or found interest in it, but I I've always heard about it. And then this is a article from New Scientist by Alex Wilkins on a club of human brain cells, being able to play the classic computer game Doom. So I've I feel like that's kinda cool. And they use these neuron powered computer chips to play Pong in twenty twenty one, and that or that was, another Australian company. I don't even know. Is this the same or the different one? Well, Cortical Labs did this in twenty twenty one, or twenty twenty one. They played Pong with, clumps of more than eight hundred thousand living brain cells grown on a micro microelectrode array that can both send and receive electrical signals. So they had to like train the chips to control the paddles on like either side of the screen. Okay. So that's kinda cool. So they developed a new interface, I guess, that makes it easier to program the chips. And, simply using Python, and the in develop independent developer, Sean Colt, used Python to teach the chips to play Doom in around a week. Wow. So, you know and this is kind of the interesting part about, I feel like, this type of, development, because it took them years to, you know, set up get get the Pong side of it working, but, you know, they set up a basis or a baseline. They paved the way for, this independent developer to create, you know, something in a week rather than years. And and it just shows how much it takes for us to build upon each other's successes. And I think it also shows, you know, how much, like, gatekeeping of knowledge and stuff really holds back, you know, the development and growth of, you know, our society and our technologies. So it's it's nice to see these examples popping up, you know, in in even, organelle research. Right? In human brain cells. So I think this is pretty sweet. I've not really I always wondered in terms of, like, where this particular research is going, especially, like, are there ethical concerns with these brain cells being on these interfaces? And, you know, if they can be trained, you know, what what does that say about them? I know that we recently, in the last few years, found that, like, crustaceans, like lobsters and crabs have much, much more intelligence than we had originally perceived them to. And now it's basically deemed torture to boil some crabs and lobster, and it it really is. You know, they truly feel that as sentient beings. So and I think that's what it was. They found them they were much more sentient that that we had originally assumed them to be as bottom feeders. So something to think about, you know, going into the next week. But that's all I got for you. Pretty quick one from me tonight. Hopefully, I can definitely try to make this a little more consistent, try to squeeze time in before, you know, one of my jobs here on the weekend or something. But it's always a pleasure running through these articles and kinda talking about what's going on. Let me know what you guys think. Send an email, geek news central at g mail dot or geek news at g mail dot com. Is that what it is? Or geek at geek news central dot com. Go go to the website. Hit the contact tab. You know, we got email links all there. I I really can't what is going on? Brain fart. Have